Beginner Olympus 9mm f8 Fisheye

Name
glenn
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting a Olympus 9mm f8 Fisheye Body Cap Lens for me Olympus E-PL6 Pen is it any good for a classic car show close-ups as well as the usual Buildings and landscape?

I have the 9-18mm which I found great at 9mm for close ups of the cars. See Below.
However for buildings the body cap 9mm with it's barrel distortion is likely to bend the straight lines. Meaning you get some interesting shapes, or use a de-fishing program, like Hugin, to straighten things up. This is not needed with the "rectilinear" 9-18mm. De-fishing is not really a problem. It's just one extra step. And you'll only need it if too much distortion gets on your nerves. If cost is important, then the 9mm plus occasional de-fishing would be a good option.
P4190613_v1GP by ianp5a, on Flickr

Last edited:
it all depends on what you want to use it for, I love mine and it gets quite a bit of use.
Normally on an E-PM1, it fits into a pocket very easily, I also use it on an E-PL5 and GX1.
Below are some examples from my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/wontolla1/sets/72157646522461765 if you want to see more.
If you choose your subjects carefully, they 'almost' look normal, others, like pillars, columns etc. show the 'fish-eye' effect much more.

46512 E V Cooper Engineer Loco 'Fisheye' shot. by Barry Smith, on Flickr

Bury Bolton Street Waing room and buffet by Barry Smith, on Flickr

Giant Mask Sculpture outside The New Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury.. by Barry Smith, on Flickr

VW Split Screen Panel Van 1966 by Barry Smith, on Flickr

Thinking of getting a Olympus 9mm f8 Fisheye Body Cap Lens for me Olympus E-PL6 Pen is it any good for a classic car show close-ups as well as the usual Buildings and landscape?

I have one. It's OK for the price. It's sharp(ish) in the centre but very soft at the edges. It defishes okay but this only highlights the edge softness. CA is quite noticeable but can be corrected out reasonably well.

If you're after higher IQ, might I suggest the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye. Whilst it's thrice the price of the Olympus 9mm BC, it's optical performance is an order of magnitude better.

The Olympus is a fun lens. It'll never replace a 'proper' lens. But it's small enough not to notice in your bag.

There's a Flickr group with some good examples of what the lens is capable of. (If only the group admin would post a few more pictures!)

As said above, an OK lens but edge soften is a big issue. images can be de fished, I use Anglerfish which has a built in profile for the lens. Although sometimes you want to Fisheye look so no extra software is needed

It can't be beaten for the price but the next step up although a lot more expensive is a huge jump in quality. 5 times the price 50 times the quality.

Paul

Back