Olympus + Canon = space station

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a go at the space station OMD MK II Metabones speed booster 600f4 MKII + 1.4TC 1/1600 sec f8 iso 640 Manual focus I think the focal length is around 1200mm not too sure on that
Rob

P1280024.jpg

P1280031.jpg

Magic. Well done.

Amazing shot.

I have taken quite a few shots of it but you really need 1000mm plus ,the hard part is finding it in such a narrow field of view and it does move quite quickly .
a good tripod and Gimbal is a must and setting it up so you don't end up on your knees is key to tracking it once you do find it in the camera.
this is a full frame shot so your looking for a tiny dot of light like a star but one that's moving .
Rob.

P1280024 ff.jpg

Last edited:
My attempt a few years ago.
500mm on canon 550d, not great, but still a little bit detail.2016-04-08_04-48-04.jpg

Thanks for comments .
Yes tripod and gimbal Nod you can't hold that rig still enough even with IS to find it in the first place (well I can't ) and you could not focus holding it and I tend to re focus between burst's of about 5 shots .
The reason I do this is because its moving so fast in the VF you don't have time to look at it and say Yes that's in focus, your panning horizontal and vertical, manual focusing half pressing the shutter and looking at a tiny point of light all at the same time .

by the way I took 300 shots and got around 20 /30 sort of OK ones .
Rob.

I've caught it a couple of times using a Nikon V1 with a 70-300 VR on the FT-1 adaptor. The V1 has a crop factor of (IIRC!) 2.7 so a 35mm EFL of ~800 or so mm. The V1 managed to achieve AF on the ISS and I could find and track it handheld.

iss3.jpg

That's a very good effort Nod .

Rob.

Never fails to amaze me that we can see a reasonable amount of detail of an object (rough measures!) 100m x 100m, 250 miles away and travelling at 17,000 mph. I have enough problems with stationary objects 10 feet away!

Back