Olympus E-M10 lens flare advise

Name
Anton
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I would like to ask for some advise on lens flare that I'm experiencing with my new E-M10 II and 14-42mm kit lens. My home camera is a D7000 and when shooting in direct sun light or street lights at low aperture (Tokina 11-16mm 2,8 or Sigma 18-250mm), I always used to get nice sharp flare effect as below which I really like:

Above image is using f20 3sec @ 18mm.

Above using f22.

I'm now travelling so I have bought a more compact camera the E-M10 II and now I seem to be struggling with the lens flaring in a less attractive way as per below (as close to above f and exp setting as I could find currently f18 4sec @ 14mm):

Below is directly into sunlight at f18:

I've noticed that I actually get a better result using a wide open aperture, in this case f3.5:

Can anyone give some feedback as to whether I'm doing something wrong or if this is just the characteristic of the Olympus lens optics?

Thanks in advance
Anton

P4110586 (2) (Large).JPG

Not a problem that I have come across using Oly lens's.

Mind, don't use the 14-42 standards lens anymore, but a 12-50mm lens and 70-300mm.

Mj

Last edited:
Looks like a characteristic of the lens to me. Does the flare change if you don't stop down that far (say F8?)

A couple of the shots looks like there's a bit of sensor refraction. Are you using a UV (or "protection") filter?

Last edited:
Is there a protection filter on the lens?

To add to Richard's question above, if so, is it spotlessly clean? If not, is the lens spotlessly clean?

...or if this is just the characteristic of the Olympus lens optics?
The optics of that particular lens.

In the m4/3rds world you have a lot of lenses to choose from... including adapter rings for old classic lenses.

I might test some of mine at really small apertures with streetlights : there is always something interesting to learn.
Thanks for the thread.

Thanks for feedback everyone, although I have been reading and it seems other mFt users also report ghosting and purple spots in some situations regardless of lens. Interesting article below:

sorry I cant yet post links but its at this website: photographylife.com/fuji-x-trans-flare-ghosting-issue

No filter was used on the lens.

Richard, yes it seems better when the aperture is lower but I do not get the sharp star effect from the lighting in this instance.

Your top shot has the grid of spots that are similiar to the well documented same issue with the EPL-2 five years ago. The solution was not to shoot into bright lights or open the aperture.

Some lenses do exhibit purple blotching, especially some Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies, especially with strong light sources at an angle to the lens combined with a wide aperture. Supposedly this is due to Oly putting their UV resistance in the lens rather than the sensor and Pana doing it the other way around but I've never heard official confirmation.

In this case it seems as though it is the lens at fault as it is definitely possible to get nice starbursts with m43, just probably not that lens...

Thanks, I'm looking at a Olympus 9-18 f4 lens to add so will see how I get on with that and report back

Back