Olympus E-P1 --> Panasonic GF3

Name
Timmy
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been umming and arring as to whether I should upgrade my E-P1 to a GF3, dependant on my MOT next week I will have enough money to do so but really can't decide on whether it is worth it.

I had a play with a GF3 in Jessops on the weekend and I did like it very much.

The autofocus is ALOT faster than E-P1, the screen is better, I imagine the battery life is better, it is smaller (but not better made, the E-P1 has great build quality), seems pretty darn easy to use and such like - currently currys have it for £300 with the 14-42mm which is a pretty good price as well, if I sold my EP-1 I would only have to put in about £160.

BUT..is it really worth it? I can't complain about the IQ of the E-P1, it takes some great images and I doubt I will see much of a difference with a GF3..(or will I?), it's robust, the battery is poor but I could buy another spare one, granted the screen is pretty rubbish but the GF3 screen isn't exactly killer..the AF speed is quite a hiderance however, especially when trying to capture my 5y/o son. If the GX1 was the same price as a GF3 I'd be on it like a shot since the GX1 is niiice, but I can't justify ~£500

Convince me to get a GF3 LOL.

Oh and I tried a Nikon J1, very underwhelmed. Tried a NEX-5N, they didn't have the C3 but hated the 5N so I don't hold much hope for the C3! The E-PM1 seemed OK if not unremarkable and a bit slow, more expensive too.

Last edited:
Hi

I have the GF3 and it is a great camera with the 14-42 lens. I cant compare it to the Olympus as I have never used one.

Like you say the autofocus is fast and the size of it is great especially if you were to purchase a 14mm pancake lens in the future which will make it pocketable. I find the menus on the panasonic easy to use dont know what the menus are like on the olympus but used to have an xz1 and found it difficult at times.

Having said all this Iam going to be selling mine in the next few days which is less than 2 months old with the 14-42. Only reason is that I bought this with the 14mm lens and also a G3 both at the same time to see which I preferred after selling all my DSLR gear. The only reason is that the G3 is bigger and feels better in my hand but I will miss the size of the GF3 and ive just purchased a fuji x10!!

Andy

Last edited:
The GX-1 is £429-£439 body only from a couple of very reputable sellers.

You could also get it with the power zoom for 579. The lens alone new goes for over 300 so you could get the camera for around 400... I am considering that as a walkabout camera all the time but I am waiting to have a play with the EM-5 and the K-01 before I decide.

I think the newer sensor alone in the GX-1 is worth the price difference from the GF-3.

I found the autofoucs,far to slow on Olympus to the point it was driving me :nuts:.

I played with GF-3,seem a nice little camera :)

Hi

I have the GF3 and it is a great camera with the 14-42 lens. I cant compare it to the Olympus as I have never used one.

Like you say the autofocus is fast and the size of it is great especially if you were to purchase a 14mm pancake lens in the future which will make it pocketable. I find the menus on the panasonic easy to use dont know what the menus are like on the olympus but used to have an xz1 and found it difficult at times.

Having said all this Iam going to be selling mine in the next few days which is less than 2 months old with the 14-42. Only reason is that I bought this with the 14mm lens and also a G3 both at the same time to see which I preferred after selling all my DSLR gear. The only reason is that the G3 is bigger and feels better in my hand but I will miss the size of the GF3 and ive just purchased a fuji x10!!

Andy

Thinking of selling it where eh Andy? :naughty: I could be interested, obviously depends on the MOT which is this time next week, but if I could pick one up for less than £300 I would probably be sold! Keep us posted (y)

The GX-1 is £429-£439 body only from a couple of very reputable sellers.

You could also get it with the power zoom for 579. The lens alone new goes for over 300 so you could get the camera for around 400... I am considering that as a walkabout camera all the time but I am waiting to have a play with the EM-5 and the K-01 before I decide.

I think the newer sensor alone in the GX-1 is worth the price difference from the GF-3.

Naa I REALLY don't want to spend more than £300, and that's tops. I've been there done that with camera envy and must haves, the GX1 is nice but it is way too much for what I need

The GF3 isn't really an improvement on the GF1 other than the touchscreen so if you can't stretch to the GX1 (which is a real improvement) then I'd probably suggest picking up a GF1 instead since it actually has better controls IMO and you should be able to pick one up for less than a GF3.

I had a GF1 and loved it, skipped the GF2/GF3 and recently moved to a GX1 which I love.

Ricky, can I ask what you find better on the GX1 over the GF1, IQ, faster focusing or whatever?

I've been thinking about upgrading from the GF1 but I'm still not convinced GF2/3 really worth making the jump. I currently use just two lenses 20mm 1.7 pancake lens & panny 100-300.

Focusing is faster, ISO performance is noticeably better and the resolution bump is nice (although not a major difference). I also really like the touchscreen as a compliment to manual controls which I wasn't expecting and the new LVF2 viewfinder is much better than the LVF1. Video performance is also better apparently but I haven't really used that enough to comment.

Being honest there was also that gadget craving, I'd resisted the GF2/GF3 quite easily but the GF1 had been with me a while so I needed my upgrade fix :D

This thread is quite good for showing ISO improvement http://www.mu-43.com/f43/gf1-vs-gx1-high-iso-19471/

Focusing is faster, ISO performance is noticeably better and the resolution bump is nice (although not a major difference). I also really like the touchscreen as a compliment to manual controls which I wasn't expecting and the new LVF2 viewfinder is much better than the LVF1. Video performance is also better apparently but I haven't really used that enough to comment.

Being honest there was also that gadget craving, I'd resisted the GF2/GF3 quite easily but the GF1 had been with me a while so I needed my upgrade fix :D

This thread is quite good for showing ISO improvement http://www.mu-43.com/f43/gf1-vs-gx1-high-iso-19471/

Thanks for that Ricky, now I just need the courage to sweet talk the good lady:naughty:

The GF3 isn't really an improvement on the GF1 other than the touchscreen so if you can't stretch to the GX1 (which is a real improvement) then I'd probably suggest picking up a GF1 instead since it actually has better controls IMO and you should be able to pick one up for less than a GF3.

I had a GF1 and loved it, skipped the GF2/GF3 and recently moved to a GX1 which I love.

I will be able to pick up a used GF1 for slightly less than a GF3 maybe..about £250 probably, but that's used and most likely out of warranty - I was happy with the controls of the GF3 therefore I see no reason to get a GF1.
That's not the issue though, the real question was GF3 vs E-P1..I think the answer which sums up my feelings the most is:
I found the autofoucs,far to slow on Olympus to the point it was driving me .

I played with GF-3,seem a nice little camera

It is noticibly slower than the GF3, it doesn't drive me crazy and it is still faster than a compact but it pales in comparison to the GF3.
Provided my MOT goes through OK I think I'll pick up a GF3, currys dixons PC world and Amazon are all doing them new with the 14-42mm for £300 now

Back