Olympus E410

Edit My Images
No
These are questions for those who have an Olympus E410. What do you think of the camera? Are there a good range of lenses out there for it, and which lenses do you recommend?
I have the opportunity to get one at a great price, but I want some opinions first.
TIA

Olympus have a great range of high quality lenses. If it is a good price then I shouldnt see any reason not to get it.

King.

got the big brother to the E-410 (The E-510) and am really pleased with it. I got the twin lens kit and the quality of the kit glass is superb (14-42 & 40-150, giving effective focal lengths of 28-84 & 80-300mm)

There is not the same extensive range of glass as canon and nikon, but its no bad thing, because a lot of the stuff that is offered is complete dross (IMO of course :D)

got the big brother to the E-410 (The E-510) and am really pleased with it. I got the twin lens kit and the quality of the kit glass is superb (14-42 & 40-150, giving effective focal lengths of 28-84 & 80-300mm)

There is not the same extensive range of glass as canon and nikon, but its no bad thing, because a lot of the stuff that is offered is complete dross (IMO of course :D)

The small selection olympus has covers most if not all requirements anyway. Also, as you said, the kit glass is impressively sharp.

Dont suppose you could send me some samples of the E-510? Been eager to see some. :)

King.

Dont suppose you could send me some samples of the E-510? Been eager to see some. :)

King.

Nothing much to see at the moment, just been playing with it, getting used to the settings. The fact you can turn the noise filter off, is good as it really helps with the Jpegs (I know RAW is the way to go, but its easier to learn the camera with JPEGS)

Off to the local carnival and fair tomorrow, so weather permitting, it will be used in anger and i will post up a thread with some samples in it.

I'm not so concerned about the camera itself as it's had great reviews, but I am worried about the range of lenses available. I shoot primarily indoors, and I'd like a zoom lens and a great portrait lens, so what lenses do you guys have that you would recommend?

Anyone? I'm hoping to get it tomorrow, so any advice would be appreciated.

the range of lenses, whilst limited is top notch.

If you can i would go for the twin lens kit, and take it from there. The 50mm Macro F2 also makes a great 100mm portrait lens (As does the 35mm F3.6 - 70mm Effective focal length)

I haven't got one myself but was looking into the Oly dSLRs a while ago. Oly zuiko lenses are excellent quality and the range covers pretty much everything. However, beyond the kit lenses they are expensive and there aren't many alternatives from the cheaper third party manufacturers for the 4/3 mount. The kit lenses are suposed to be much better than most competitors but check out the prices of the other lenses you may want before you buy if you think you will want to go beyond the kit.

That's my worry too. I think I'm looking at the 14 - 54mm, but I'm not sure which zoom to go for given that I shoot in low light. There's the 40 - 150mm F4-5.6 or the 50 - 200mm F2.8, BUT it's so expensive. I've also been looking at the Nikon D50, would I be better off given Nikon's choice of lenses?

That's my worry too. I think I'm looking at the 14 - 54mm, but I'm not sure which zoom to go for given that I shoot in low light. There's the 40 - 150mm F4-5.6 or the 50 - 200mm F2.8, BUT it's so expensive. I've also been looking at the Nikon D50, would I be better off given Nikon's choice of lenses?

Would you be able to get a fast zoom for nikon any cheaper though? 2.8 zooms aren't cheap from anybody. I think you should look at what lenses you would be likely to get from each system and compare the costs. It sounds like yo have a good idea on the Oly side but haven't really investigated the nikon route yet.

as bailout said, the zooms are expensive, but no more than the competition, and in reality they are getting on for 'L' quality (From what i have read in many places), most are weatherproof, and in the majority of cases have wide max apatures that the canon / nikon / sigma equivalents.

after saying that i am about to hit the order button on a 11-22mm ZD lens today.

I have just treated myself to the E410 two lens kit and I am very pleased with it so far. This is my first DSLR so I'm on a learning curve but so far its been easy to get on with and from my point of view a good way in to DSLR photography.:D

I have just treated myself to the E410 two lens kit and I am very pleased with it so far. This is my first DSLR so I'm on a learning curve but so far its been easy to get on with and from my point of view a good way in to DSLR photography.:D

Congrats, and welcome to the four-thirds / olympus club :woot: :woot:

Geting to be a number of us on here :D

Dont forget to post up some samples (Makes mental note to self to do the same!!)

I got my Oly 410 twin lens kit today. I love it! It sits great in my hands, I love the small size and weight, live view, but best of all I love the sharp photos I'm getting with the kit lenses. I not brave enough to post any yet, but I will when I'm more confident.
Thanks for all the advice.:)

Excellent. I am considering the switch to the Olympus system after the summer. They have really pulled their fingers out over the last 6 months.

The 50-200 f/2.8 has an equivalent FOV of 100-400. That is an impressive specification and put in those terms the cost is justified.

King.

Congrats, and welcome to the four-thirds / olympus club :woot: :woot:

Geting to be a number of us on here :D

Dont forget to post up some samples (Makes mental note to self to do the same!!)

There's one in my gallery, Its the butterfly on the flower. I can see the improvement in quality between that and the other two pictures in my gallery.

Back