Olympus Lens Dilemma

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
Starting to get lens dilemma again (happens every couple of years or so!). Just wondering if anyone else has been there and done this so to speak?

I've been happily living with the 12-100mm f4 Pro lens on my EM1 Mk II for a few years now. It's a great lens, perfect for travel and covers a wide focal length. Up until now I've not really needed anything wider or longer, but then we had lockdown! Started to look at different types of photography whilst stuck at home. With the clears skies we've been having lately I've been pointing my camera upwards at night and dipping my toes into astrophotography. I bought a Skywatcher Star Adventurer which is an excellent bit of kit, really helps tracks the stars. Living on the edge of Dartmoor and as the lockdown is slowly being eased I've made more of a concerted effort to use whats on my doorstep and go out for walk on the moors. Now I'm enjoying taking a lot more of landscape as well as the astrophotography. Eventually I intend to combine the both and try my hand at some astro landscapes. But now I'm starting to see the first time where the 12-100mm might not be the best lens for me anymore.

In the current climate and for the foreseeable future I have no plans for any great travelling. As I've said the 12-100mm is a wonderful lens for travelling. Just having to take one lens with you is fantastic compared to when I think back to my Canon days and lugging around loads of heavy glass.

So I'm am thinking of replacing it with the Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 Pro along with either the 7-14mm f2.8 or 12-40mm f2.8. I think this faster glass will be more useful to me now than before. I've got the money to buy the 40-150mm outright (I see Olympus are doing a deal at the moment where it's bundled with the 1.4x Teleconverter) and then I'd trade or sell the 12-100mm to get the other lens.

My dilemma is that I seem to find most people went the other way and swapped to the 12-100mm from the 40-150mm. Has anyone gone from the 12-100mm to the 40-150mm? I'd be interested to hear if you have and were happy with your choice.

Many thanks.

Slightly different approach from me being on a fixed pension I always tend to look at the cheaper options , I went for the four thirds 50-200 f2.8 SWD with mmf-3 adaptor and EC14 t.c a bit heavier but the whole lot from wex with 12 months warranty cost just short of £400 .. and gives a fully water resistant rig .

Back