Olympus M10 Mark 2

Doc

Edit My Images
No
I was going to purchase a Fuji X-t10 until I spotted an Olympus M10 Mark 2 with the 14-42mm EZ lens in Curry's at £500 with 10% off this weekend = £450 then £75 cash back from Olympus = £375 seems pretty good deal to me,

Do you agree and does anyone have any comments/advice/experience about the Olympus camera/lens combination.

Thanks in advance

For £375 it's a steal imo. I had the original EM10 with 14-42mm EZ lens and it's a very good set up. OK, so it's not the fastest or sharpest lens out there, but still very good. Once set up Ollies are a joy to use (the menus are a bit awkward but once you assigned the function buttons etc you don't really need the menus). I don't need or want one at present (only because I'm invested in other systems), but for that price I'm almost tempted myself :LOL:

Reactions: Doc
The original EM10 was a delight to use, I was really sad when I smashed mine.

At that price it's a bargain.

All i can tell you is i just bought one as a second body against my GX8,it looks like the GX8 could become second body to it,its amazed me how nice it is to use and how competent it is.

£375 !! That is ridiculous !

Good thing about Micro 4/3 is that there are a lot of lenses to choose from and lots that are pretty cheap...

p.s obviously Fuji has advantages too but lenses are more ££ and there is less choice
p.p.s I am aware that as Talk Photography as been renamed Talk Fuji Photography recently this will be controversial

:)

I've just sold my em10 mk2. Great camera, but it's just soooo small ! Way too small for me to use comfortably.

I love my em10 mk2. Combined with a couple of primes (17 & 45mm) it's my carry around everywhere camera when l don't want to take the weight of the D750 kit with me. Once menus are set up it's easy to use and quality of images is impressive.

I recently shipped my Fuji X-T1 and lenses to ffordes for commission sale, after buying the Olympus om-d em10 mkII. Got the 17mm and 45mm for it. The £179 for the 45 I think was a bargain. The bought the 17 from Digitalrev, to keep the cost down. Body only, was from Bristol Cameras at £409 before cash back.

I recently shipped my Fuji X-T1 and lenses to ffordes for commission sale, after buying the Olympus om-d em10 mkII. Got the 17mm and 45mm for it. The £179 for the 45 I think was a bargain. The bought the 17 from Digitalrev, to keep the cost down. Body only, was from Bristol Cameras at £409 before cash back.
What made you sell the Fuji Ray?

I've just sold my em10 mk2. Great camera, but it's just soooo small ! Way too small for me to use comfortably.

Obviously size is a personnel thing ;)and i find it a little small,just got this grip and it makes the world of difference,well made and cheap.

s-l1600.jpg

What made you sell the Fuji Ray?
To begin with, I had my doubts about the Olympus. That's why I didn't sell first, then buy.

Main concerns were high iso performance, and the contrast detect AF.

But for the price it was going for, and the cash back, I gave it a go.

But once I had it, I used it more than the Fuji. The size of the body and lens, the build quality, the IBIS. The AF is not that slow, from my experience it's comparable.

High iso, the Fuji is better. But to me, it's not about having the best. It's about having what's acceptable to me, personally. The high iso performance is fine for my uses, I'm happy with it.

What really sold it to me was the bang for buck value of the system. The body is metal, it's solid, the 5 axis IBIS, the lenses are beautiful. When I used the Sony e-mount system, I didn't get that. For example, the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS. Yes it was cheap, but it felt like a toy lens. Same with the 16mm 2.8

Fuji was nice, I owned the X-E2 before the X-T1. Even though it is considered a compact system, compared to DSLR. For me, I still wanted smaller. I missed the size of the Sony nex 6, but Sony did not offer enough choices and their cheaper offerings didn't feel quality. It felt exactly that, cheap.

The Fuji equivalent focal range 23mm and 56mm, just the cost of those two lenses can pay for the entire Olympus set up. The size and weight of the Fuji 90mm made it feel like I'm carrying an extra body, not something I wanted in a small compact system. The quality was there but for me, the size/weight/price compared to the Olympus was enough to make me decide to switch. The Fuji did some things better than the Olympus, but those were not things that were beneficial to me in my shooting.

The 45mm has to be one of the best bargains out there, cracking lens (y)

The 45mm has to be one of the best bargains out there, cracking lens (y)
It really is! I thought it was a special offer price until they told me that's how much it costs normally.

The body only from Bristol Cameras at £409 was a promotional offer. It came with a Hama 16gb card, a Hama carry case, screen protector, and a third party spare battery.

To begin with, I had my doubts about the Olympus. That's why I didn't sell first, then buy.

Main concerns were high iso performance, and the contrast detect AF.

But for the price it was going for, and the cash back, I gave it a go.

But once I had it, I used it more than the Fuji. The size of the body and lens, the build quality, the IBIS. The AF is not that slow, from my experience it's comparable.

High iso, the Fuji is better. But to me, it's not about having the best. It's about having what's acceptable to me, personally. The high iso performance is fine for my uses, I'm happy with it.

What really sold it to me was the bang for buck value of the system. The body is metal, it's solid, the 5 axis IBIS, the lenses are beautiful. When I used the Sony e-mount system, I didn't get that. For example, the Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS. Yes it was cheap, but it felt like a toy lens. Same with the 16mm 2.8

Fuji was nice, I owned the X-E2 before the X-T1. Even though it is considered a compact system, compared to DSLR. For me, I still wanted smaller. I missed the size of the Sony nex 6, but Sony did not offer enough choices and their cheaper offerings didn't feel quality. It felt exactly that, cheap.

The Fuji equivalent focal range 23mm and 56mm, just the cost of those two lenses can pay for the entire Olympus set up. The size and weight of the Fuji 90mm made it feel like I'm carrying an extra body, not something I wanted in a small compact system. The quality was there but for me, the size/weight/price compared to the Olympus was enough to make me decide to switch. The Fuji did some things better than the Olympus, but those were not things that were beneficial to me in my shooting.
Thanks for that imformed reply

Which lens did you use for the capture? Continuous AF could be a little bit better, but I don't really use it.

CAF in theory should be better for BIF,with my GX8 i use it,but i am at the moment moving away from CAF as i just get too many files to sort through,3 or 4 AFS shots are a lot better.

Another example from this camera today,it wouldn't suit every one but at ISO 6400 from such a bargain price m4/3 camera its not bad,just a little NR brushed on the water,none on the main subject.

PB130231.jpg

I have read all your comments and would like to inform you of my choice:-

FUJIFILM X-E2S Kit (XF18-55mm Lens) Refurbished - £579
Colour Silver
I've no doubt got some "learning" to do and at 76 this will take some time!!

Thanks for your replies

I'll post this in the Fuji decision (another one of my options) thread as well

I have read all your comments and would like to inform you of my choice:-

FUJIFILM X-E2S Kit (XF18-55mm Lens) Refurbished - £579
Colour Silver
I've no doubt got some "learning" to do and at 76 this will take some time!!

Thanks for your replies

I'll post this in the Fuji decision (another one of my options) thread as well
Great choice. I really like the form of the X-E2S, I had the X-E2 and actually preferred it over the X-T1.

Obviously size is a personnel thing ;)and i find it a little small,just got this grip and it makes the world of difference,well made and cheap.

View attachment 77282
I bought the same for my E-M10 but I can't adapt to using it very well. I find the position of my index finger is too far from the shutter button when the grip is mounted. Now I have an E-M5 ii and will look for something else or just accept the fact that these cameras are smaller. After all, that's why we buy them in the first place I guess?

I bought the same for my E-M10 but I can't adapt to using it very well. I find the position of my index finger is too far from the shutter button when the grip is mounted. Now I have an E-M5 ii and will look for something else or just accept the fact that these cameras are smaller. After all, that's why we buy them in the first place I guess?

I must admit i had to get used to the new holding,i guess the difference is i didnt buy it to be smaller just lighter with long lenses on.

Back