Olympus OM-1, 35RC & Pen F meters not working.

Edit My Images
No
After using digital for the last ten years, I wanted to to back to using film both in 35mm and medium format. I dug out a decent OM-1, a RC35 and a Pen F with attached meter which all had been part of a time when I collected vintage and unusual cameras.
On scouring the internet I discovered that the batteries for all these cameras are mercury based. On eBay I was able to buy a brass "adaptor" which would allow me to use Rayovac 675 (PR44) hearing aid batteries which are lower voltage than the normal 1.5 volts although slightly higher that the original 1.3 volts. So far so good, I thought. On inserting the adaptor/battery combination into the OM-1, I checked to see if the meter was responding. Nothing! OK, try it in the 35RC. Same thing, nothing. this is weird, I thought. Final try, put it into the meter of the Pen F and try that. Again, nothing.
So, I ask myself, why would three attempts in three different Olympus cameras produce three fails. I checked everything again and again to see if I had overlooked anything. I even put a meter across the battery and adaptor to see if there was a poor connection between the two, I also tried a 1.5 AG13 but to no avail. I just cannot fathom why three cameras, in fairly good order should present this problem.
I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions as to resolving this problem.
Thanks,
Ken

Hi Ken

That sounds very odd that all 3 should stop working. I have a couple of OM-1 and RC35 along with some of the other Olympus compacts that take the old battery and have managed to get them to work with the brass adapter and the px625A 1.5v battery. I have also managed to get the meter moving using an LR44 1.5v and some tin foil. The accuracy of the meters varies with some being correct and some underexposing. The under exposing ones seem to be a fault as it makes no difference which voltage battery I use but saying that the 1.5v batteries are more likely yo cause this issue. I guess the next thing is to check for loose wires. You could take the base of the OM1 and check to see power is getting from the battery compartment to the wires. I will sort out repair manuals I am sure I have

Thanks
David

Thanks David,
I have had the cameras for years (I used to collect until I realised it was a waste of money) and as they seemed in good condition I thought it would be nice to use them again. I could just stick with the Minolta camera I use but would like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Regards
Ken

It is possible to fit the zinc-air battery into the adaptor the wrong way round (whistle). The +ve electrode of the inserted battery needs to be on the narrower side of the adaptor and the unmarked -ve electrode on the wider side.

Hi,
I thought that I might have got it in the wrong way, but, on removing the baseplate it is obvious that the body is the positive side of the circuit. I bought a special adaptor made of brass from eBay and it is clearly marked "+".
Stage two involved taking a Nikon F Photomic out of the collection and having a go with that. Takes two batteries (damn!) so a bit of bodge called for. Tape wraped around battery until it is the correct diameter, together with the adaptor, both were put into the compartment. It works!
I could swap to the Nikon; it's not in such good order as the OM-1 but I have a meter. Or I could just stop pratting about and carry on using the Minolta X700 and XG-1 loaded with FP-4 and Pan F, but it was fun trying to resurect an old camera that deserves to be used again.
Thanks for the advice anyway. If anybody has further suggestions, I'd love to hear them

Regards
Ken

The most obvious suggestion that comes to mind is to simply use a handheld meter!

And that's exactly what I intend to do. I would have liked to use the meters in the cameras but it is not to be. Having said that, I found, in amongst my numerous cameras, an Olympus Pen-EE-S which uses a "Automatic Eye" and does not need a battery; Street photgraphy anybody?
Thanks for your help everyone.
Ken

Back