Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well my E- M1 arrived this morning, thought at first they had sent me an empty box as there was no weight to it at all, trying to get my head around the settings at the moment , after two minutes I managed to lose the EVF some how but I will figure it out.

I'm not Paul but the E-M10 grip is here. Definitely improves the feel of camera and part of it can be easily unclipped for access to the battery & SD card.

Well my E- M1 arrived this morning, thought at first they had sent me an empty box as there was no weight to it at all, trying to get my head around the settings at the moment , after two minutes I managed to lose the EVF some how but I will figure it out.
It's quite a steep learning curve is switching to Olympus but stick with it, normally problems are because you have changed one small setting somewhere which disables what you want to do...

It's quite a steep learning curve is switching to Olympus but stick with it, normally problems are because you have changed one small setting somewhere which disables what you want to do...
Agreed. They are a PITA to set up, but when they are they're great and you rarely have to use the menus.

can any of you guys recommend a non-official grip for the E-M10? I see the Olympus ECG-1 is £50 and dont fancy spending that sort of money.

can any of you guys recommend a non-official grip for the E-M10? I see the Olympus ECG-1 is £50 and dont fancy spending that sort of money.
That's nothing compared to the ridiculously priced one for the EM5-II :eek:.

There's plenty of 3rd party grips for the EM10 on ebay and amazon but unfortunately none seem to have reviews.

Yes ive seen the ones on ebay/amazon but wanted a real life review ideally. I get the camera on Saturday so will see how i manage without the grip first.

Yes ive seen the ones on ebay/amazon but wanted a real life review ideally. I get the camera on Saturday so will see how i manage without the grip first.
What lenses are you planning on using? I had the EM10 and found it fine without the grip using the 14-42mm EZ, 12-32mm Panny Pancake, 40-150mm R, 45mm f1.8 and 20mm f1.7. The 12-40mm f2.8 does feel a bit unbalanced on the Em10 to be fair, although I still managed when I tried it in store. I now have this lens on the EM5-II and don't find I need a grip, yet others do. I'd say try it without first and see how you get on tbh.

The camera is bundled with the 14-42 ez pancake lens, which appeals to me for its lack of size. Hoping to add the 45 1.8 and panasonic 20 1.7 if i get on well with the system. Its my first m43 camera so hoping i will be happy with the sensor size.

The camera is bundled with the 14-42 ez pancake lens, which appeals to me for its lack of size. Hoping to add the 45 1.8 and panasonic 20 1.7 if i get on well with the system. Its my first m43 camera so hoping i will be happy with the sensor size.
Im 6ft 4 with hands like shovels so may find i need the grip. [emoji4]

E-M1 & E-M5 II firmware updates available now. Just completed mine. Not sure when I'll be able to make use of the new features though.

Sorry if it's already been mentioned.....

E-M1 & E-M5 II firmware updates available now. Just completed mine. Not sure when I'll be able to make use of the new features though.

Sorry if it's already been mentioned.....
Is that another new one or the one that was released a few weeks ago?

Thanks. Google suggests the most up to date firmware for the EM5-II is 1.1 which was released in April, but I'll plug mine into the updater tomorrow to see if it comes up with something else.

Thanks. Google suggests the most up to date firmware for the EM5-II is 1.1 which was released in April, but I'll plug mine into the updater tomorrow to see if it comes up with something else.

If you click the hyperlink in my first post it mentions a v1.2 for the E-M5 II. The article suggests that the updates for both cameras would be available at the same time. I guess you'll find out if that's true tomorrow ;)

If you click the hyperlink in my first post it mentions a v1.2 for the E-M5 II. The article suggests that the updates for both cameras would be available at the same time. I guess you'll find out if that's true tomorrow ;)
Ahh, hyperlink wasn't showing on the iphone for some reason :confused:

What system are you coming from? Sensor size only becomes an issue in low(er) light, and the 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 provide shallow enough DOF for most things tbh. There's always the stunning Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 too.

What system are you coming from? Sensor size only becomes an issue in low(er) light, and the 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8 provide shallow enough DOF for most things tbh. There's always the stunning Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2 too.
A Nikon D5100, 35mm f1.8 and tamron 17-50 f2.8 also had a fuji x100. Already planning the oly 45 1.8 and panasonic 25 1.4 the 75mm f1.8 is too pricey for me unfortunately. Got the oly em10 and pancake zoom at a fair price so i shouldn't lose too much money if it's not for me!

Anyone here used the Fuji X-T1 and can offer a fair comparison over the OMD cams? Specifically speed of AF?

A Nikon D5100, 35mm f1.8 and tamron 17-50 f2.8 also had a fuji x100. Already planning the oly 45 1.8 and panasonic 25 1.4 the 75mm f1.8 is too pricey for me unfortunately. Got the oly em10 and pancake zoom at a fair price so i shouldn't lose too much money if it's not for me!

If you have enough time (and patience) to focus manually you can maybe pick up an old film era 85mm f1.8. Bit longer than 75mm but it's a cheaper option plus you can take it with you if you move systems as all you need is a new £10 mount adapter.

Anyone here used the Fuji X-T1 and can offer a fair comparison over the OMD cams? Specifically speed of AF?
Speak to @twist he's used both and speaks very highly indeed of the Fuji.

If you have enough time (and patience) to focus manually you can maybe pick up an old film era 85mm f1.8. Bit longer than 75mm but it's a cheaper option plus you can take it with you if you move systems as all you need is a new £10 mount adapter.

Woof woof, what specifically would you suggest? I would really like to get something like this after having an old Minolta for my Nex 5 back in the day.

Thanks

Woof woof, regarding adaptors- do i just search for 'm43 to nikon adaptor' i understand the lens will need an aperture ring to control aperture, Will i need to shoot in full manual mode? Presume exposure can be seen in viewfinder, so i can adjust shutter/aperture to suit.

This thread is full of people adapting old lenses for m43. I bought a cheap OM to m43 adapter from Fotodiox for my manual focus OM lenses. I use aperture priority. Just set the aperture on the lens. And Focus manually. The focus peaking on my EM5ii is very helpful here.

Last edited:
Old lenses...

For adapters just search for lens type to camera type, for example Canon FD to MFT. That should get you to suitable adapters which seem to start at £5 and go up to maybe £100. I have a number of cheap adapters and also three Novoflex adapters which cost £90-100, it really depends on the quality of build you want and how much you want to spend. I can't say that all lenses will work with all cameras, for example Canon FD lenses need a corrective lens in the adapter to work on Canon eos and personally I'd avoid anything like that and go for a combination which will allow focus to infinity with just a dumb metal adapter without a lens.

I have Olympus Zuiko, Minolta Rokkor and Canon FD lenses and I have 85mm's in all of these mounts. I'd say that the Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2 is the best wide open being sharper with less fringing but once the lenses are stopped down a bit there's basically nothing in it. I went for Olympus, Minolta and Canon FD as they're mainstream, relatively easy to find and relatively cheap. Other bargains may be available :D and if going down this route don't forget that there may be some third party lenses in the camera manufacturers mount. For example Sigma, Vivitar etc. You can Google your way to reviews and yes, you'll need to be able to adjust the aperture so personally I'd stick to lenses with an aperture ring. My cameras work ok with manual lenses in Aperture and Manual modes.

Well, I am this threads official numpty its only taken me two days to find out how to adjust aperture and shutter speed lever up lever down, I dont find the manual as good as some others i have used I find it quicker to google a specific query and lo and behold others have questioned the how to adjust process but i am warming to the EM1 , if only I can get rid of the slight green tinge on my shots,? so back to Google.

What's the white balance set to @derekG ?

Well, I am this threads official numpty its only taken me two days to find out how to adjust aperture and shutter speed lever up lever down, I dont find the manual as good as some others i have used I find it quicker to google a specific query and lo and behold others have questioned the how to adjust process but i am warming to the EM1 , if only I can get rid of the slight green tinge on my shots,? so back to Google.
I find that often have to tweak WB in post towards magenta. I wish you could fine tune auto WB like I can on my D750 so that it has more magenta by default.

Well, the EM10 arrived a few hours ago, had a play and took a few shots around the house. First impressions are that im very pleased with the purchase. Love the compactness of the 14-42ez and the iso performance seems better than i expected! Just need to try and get my head around olympus mysets, want the fn1 button to be assigned to shutter release options.
Now to start looking for some fast primes!

Thanks Damian ,you were right , but dont remember altering it from default , swear its too clever by half this camera.

Back