Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My apologies if this is not the correct place, but I have a couple of questions. I made the move to M43 and the Olympus E-M10 over a month ago. Obviously I'm suffering from GAS already, but I'm really enjoying this little wonder however, the only thing that I'm missing is the ease (laziness?) of my Nikon DSLR and it's 18-105mm kit lens, I'm finding that as a walkabout, the 14-42mm & 40-150mm is a little restrictive.
Has anyone had experience of the Olympus 14-150mm ii & how would you rate it. I'm thinking that with the current cashback offer it might be worth it, especially for holidays/travelling as one lens will do for most of my needs in those scenarios (with the 17mm f1.8 in the bag as well obviously ;) ).
Also, what bags are you using? My current bags are now too big & I have to admit that I quite like the look of a messenger/satchel style but would want a narrower type, ideally that I could fit a tablet into as well.

I have the 14-150 mk1 and like it. Took it on a family holiday to Lake Garda 2 summers ago and found it very useful not having to try and change lenses whilst managing a toddler on a boat!

It's my daughter's first ever sports day today, and my first time shooting with the E-M10 &14-42EZ.
I'm thinking of using the following settings:
A/P Mode,
f12,
AFS (heard AFC is poor),
Sequential high shutter release.

Do you guys agree with the settings above or can you advise on a better set up?

I wouldn't go for f12, I'd be maybe f6.3-f8

Hello, Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm wondering about the new Leica Q. I have had the EM-5 for quite a while now (been a fantastic camera) and seem to use my O9-18, V17.5, 0.95 & P25 1.4 most of the time. I do love both the 17.5 & the 25 especially for street and pics of my kids. For street a little wider 28 probably won't make to much difference, but the 50mm I'd miss. No hurry to change, but been thinking of an M9, but the Q looks more my cup of tea. Any thoughts?

Has anyone had experience of the Olympus 14-150mm ii & how would you rate it.
I have the 14-150 that I use for most pictures in combination with the 9-18mm. Which makes a very compact setup. I don't have a problem with the quality of the 14-150.

Hello, Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm wondering about the new Leica Q. I have had the EM-5 for quite a while now (been a fantastic camera) and seem to use my O9-18, V17.5, 0.95 & P25 1.4 most of the time. I do love both the 17.5 & the 25 especially for street and pics of my kids. For street a little wider 28 probably won't make to much difference, but the 50mm I'd miss. No hurry to change, but been thinking of an M9, but the Q looks more my cup of tea. Any thoughts?

I'd rather just use MFT + a nice prime and at least then you have the option of changing the lens if you either get bored or need a different FoV. Or, if you want FF, a Sony A7 + prime.

Can I use fuji xf lenses on my om-d 5 mkII?

I'd rather just use MFT + a nice prime and at least then you have the option of changing the lens if you either get bored or need a different FoV. Or, if you want FF, a Sony A7 + prime.

It's not so much the FF, it's more I've always liked the way the M9 renders it's colours. The Q looks the closest so far, but being a nice and modern camera. As you say, a decent prime (V17.5 & P25) render fantastically. Just the Q being FF, leica glass and processing seem to be a little nicer & keep it all in a small (ish) package. A7 is nice, but my heart isn't there and apart from being FF, doesn't offer a whole lot over M43 (my opinion here) Thx for thoughts.

I believe that's why it has a tendency to underexpose.

By modern FF DSLR standard the highlight recovery isn't great but it is still useful enough and better than APSC sensors of a generation past.

Last edited:
My apologies if this is not the correct place, but I have a couple of questions. I made the move to M43 and the Olympus E-M10 over a month ago. Obviously I'm suffering from GAS already, but I'm really enjoying this little wonder however, the only thing that I'm missing is the ease (laziness?) of my Nikon DSLR and it's 18-105mm kit lens, I'm finding that as a walkabout, the 14-42mm & 40-150mm is a little restrictive.
Has anyone had experience of the Olympus 14-150mm ii & how would you rate it. I'm thinking that with the current cashback offer it might be worth it, especially for holidays/travelling as one lens will do for most of my needs in those scenarios (with the 17mm f1.8 in the bag as well obviously ;) ).
Also, what bags are you using? My current bags are now too big & I have to admit that I quite like the look of a messenger/satchel style but would want a narrower type, ideally that I could fit a tablet into as well.
I went for the Tamron 14-150 and just used it for a week in New York with good results

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamron-14-150mm-f-3-5-5-8-di-iii-lens-review-26265

I know I keep banging on about handheld but I'm so used to using a tripod it seems weird, this is a two exposure blend from a hand held "hdr2 bracketed set that I grabbed on my way out of the field.

Poppy Tracks by Gary Miller, on Flickr

The only thing stopping me selling up the rest of the nikon gear is the LE capabilities at the moment.

Last edited:
How do you guys manage to upload pictures to the thread? I tried a few days ago and picture is just a box with a red cross!

You can either upload directly to the forum (upload a file button) and insert them directly in the reply or you can link from Flickr for which you need to grab the bb code from the Flickr share options.

C
You can either upload directly to the forum (upload a file button) and insert them directly in the reply or you can link from Flickr for which you need to grab the bb code from the Flickr share options.

Cheers, it was an upload from flickr. I think it must be a file size issue then.

C

Cheers, it was an upload from flickr. I think it must be a file size issue then.

Nope, won't be that - you won't be grabbing the link properly or inserting it here in the right way - it you grab the BB code link you don't need to use the insert picture function.

Just read this part of imaging resources review on 43rumors the high iso capability seems to be really good. Anyone here compared the em5 2 to an aps c camera? I use a 70d which I am losing faith in.

I own two Olympus E-M5 Mark II bodies and a Canon 70D body (and a few other cameras).

The Canon 70D looks to be to be about a stop better at high ISO (3200+) than the Olympus E-M5 Mark II.

Last edited:
I am picking a EM-10 up at the end of the week, as a lighter option than carrying around a Canon DSLR.
I am reading that the menu system is a bit confusing, how do people find it?

Also, is there any tips in what settings I need to put in to get the best from the camera, and lastly is there a small bag that would fit the EM-10 and a couple of lenses.

Many thanks!

For my EM10 I just leave it on S-AF + MF over-ride, auto ISO up to ISO5000 and aperture priority. That's pretty much set and forget for general travel shooting.

The menus aren't actually that bad, the problem comes from some settings disabling some functions which can be confusing (for example if you are using colour creator the option to shoot raw only disappears).

As for a bag, if you haven't already got the 40-150 lens then just buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-PEN-Zoom-Kit-Black/dp/B00B478IF2/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

The lens is great and the bag will fit the EM10+lens, the 40-150, another little prime and a battery or two.

There are recommended settings and tweaks for the various OM-Ds like I posted here
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-143#post-6910725
Most things will be the same regardless of which OM-D. But you'll have to search to find a dedicated E-M10 one. If it exists.

Yes that PEN street case M is tiny yet takes a good deal of kit. I use one as my "big" bag. And a small belt pack for when travelling light.

Last edited:
Back