Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I am picking a EM-10 up at the end of the week, as a lighter option than carrying around a Canon DSLR.
I am reading that the menu system is a bit confusing, how do people find it?

Also, is there any tips in what settings I need to put in to get the best from the camera, and lastly is there a small bag that would fit the EM-10 and a couple of lenses.

Many thanks!
Hi Dougie,
I got my EM10 a week or so ago, previously had a Nikon DSLR, i'm really happy with the camera but i do find the menus quite confusing, and i still think the Olympus 'mysets' and FN customization to be poor IMO.
I wanted to set FN1 to shutter release mode, but i still have not found a way to do that, i just press the centre button between the arrows and find shutter release options from there.

I'm like Ned, only shoot in Aperture mode with Auto ISO set to 5000.

just got the grip and 45mmf1.8 which for me are both excellent additions, hopefully will collect the 25mmf1.8 on Friday. just need to decide on either the 40-150 or the Panasonic 100-300 then i will be happy with the kit.

Jon

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Anyone had any problems updating their camera firmware on the OM-D EM5 or MKII. It keeps telling me can't connect to camera, have tried using the Mac and windows version of the Olympus updater but no joy.

Have managed to sort this now guys.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Anyone had any problems updating their camera firmware on the OM-D EM5 or MKII. It keeps telling me can't connect to camera, have tried using the Mac and windows version of the Olympus updater but no joy.

Have managed to sort this now guys.
Not had a problem with my EM5 or my EM1

Still haven't used that yet ( nor really investigated as to how it works )

Does it store a darker exposure of the bright areas and combine it with the full exposure? And do you have to control it in any way?

Basically you set the base exposure and it keeps taking the same shot but only adds the lighter bits on top (e.g. Lightning). You end up with one raw file.

You just sit there and watch the screen until the photo is as you want it.

The rear screen stopped working working on my month old 5ii. I took it back to the shop who sent it off for repair. 3 weeks later I collected it and they'd exchanged the body for a new one.

I'm now trying to remember all my settings.

Last edited:
Think I'm starting to get the hand of my Em5 Mark 2, and generally happy with the results. Couple from the weekend below taken with the 12-40mm Pro.

With back button focus, does anyone know if I can set that button to toggle on and off, rather than me having to hold it down to keep the focus locked?

View attachment 41365 View attachment 41366

Having had theE-M1 for three weeks and not used in earnest, just practice shots I thought I would check shutter count too see how many I have taken to get familiar with it, 298 all in I suppose thats not too bad in the scheme of things, still loving it and wished I had switched systems before now.

Yes. It's always a SAAB. A shame really. But there's nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:
To a certain sort of person, a lot!
No, actually I have no idea. I was just being sentimental, and writing as though we were talking about a vagrant sleeping rough, or something.

And regarding setting the back focus as a toggle. I never worked out how to set AFL up. So I assign MF to a button. Half Press the shutter to focus. Then MF to keep it locked.

Edit: Basically you shouldnt need to toggle it. Just press it once to focus. As long as the half press of the shutter does not re-focus (set Mode-3), there is no need to toggle it.
http://thedigitalstory.com/2015/03/set-up-back-button-focus.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that Ian, tried similar guides, and always seemed to not toggle! Must have done something wrong. Will give that a go when I get home.

Ianp5a

When using my 60mm macro lens, if you press the shutter halfway the lens looks to refocus, will setting to mode-3 stop this?

Yes. Apparently mode 3 sets shutter half press to exposure lock only. I would think it's the same with every compatible lens. Your macro included.

Now stop asking me questions like I know what I'm talking about. I just looked it up. Mu-43.com is the place to go to find wise, yet irritatingly nerdy, advice on all those things.

Last edited:
What are peoples thoughts on putting a £30 UV filter on a £700 lens to protect the glass?

I hear mixed things, such as if you hit the UV filter and it breaks the shattered glass will cause more damage than if you didn't have it.

There is also the issue of any lost image quality.

I personally use them, though I would like the purity of not having them on and knowing I am getting the absolute best image quality I can (even though I'm sure the difference i s negligible). I find it much better to clean a filter than a lens, as I don't have to worry as much about scratching some dust onto the front element etc.

Anyone use proper camera insurance? That is something else I have thought about, but seems expensive...

Nooooooooo not another "protective filter or not?" thread?

Loads of discussion of this already, and it always end in acrimony.

For a £700 camera, I'd just look at getting it covered by home contents insurance.

and it always end in acrimony.

Haha, yes, such is the internet, and the reason I asked here, hoping for some more insightful responses :)

Well, total cost of equipment comes to around £2500, but I was specifically talking about insuring a specific lens against things like scratches.

Looking at this company, https://www.eversure.com seems decent. But I will look into what out home insurance covers too.

Thanks

I tested it once. The broken glass did no damage to the lens in my case. The aluminium ring protected the front of the lens barrel and took all the heavy damage.

I'm not sure about insurance. Maybe for going away on holiday, but for day today I'd just stick on a lens filter (not a UV one, just a place glass filter) or a ND filter. Thats it.

Been to a farm park with my daughter and find the standard strap on the E-M10 uncomfortable. Do any of you use the optech sling strap? Like the look of the old school leather straps but think a sling strap maybe a better option.

I have never thought of making my own Ulfric but I suppose I could.

Any chance of showing us one.

no criticism of your photos, but I've never really understood the appeal of a fisheye? Just sayin...

Fair enough. For me, it's part fun and part access to a wide angle at a low price.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea

Back