Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

It might be the easier option...mixed reports though, some saying sharp, some not

Hehehe

They do render colour up really well and have a nice quality. I've got a few m42 super takumars - check them on Flickr. Where are you based? You could have a try with mine if you were near Enough?

Never heard of super takumars until now but oohhhhhhh :love:

Too far, I'm in the footballing capital of the universe ⚽
I don't know where you are, but lots of people think their town is also the footballing capital of the universe. And I live way south where fans are convinced of that too.

Last edited:
Isn't it nice to have some decent weather? The beach at Hayling Island was still really busy this evening with people strolling about, paddling, having BBQs and just generally enjoying themselves. I took this using my EM1 and Oly 75-300 f4.8-6.7 II, shooting directly into the sinking sun:

Life on the Beach
par Keith Burton, on ipernity

Isn't it nice to have some decent weather? The beach at Hayling Island was still really busy this evening with people strolling about, paddling, having BBQs and just generally enjoying themselves. I took this using my EM1 and Oly 75-300 f4.8-6.7 II, shooting directly into the sinking sun:

Life on the Beach
par Keith Burton, on ipernity

Really like this Keith. Plenty going on all over the picture. Nice pp too.

No. They go on about football here all the time too. And think everyone from England 'must' be a football fan. And start telling me things about football.

Last edited:
No. They go on about football here all the time too. And think everyone from England 'must' be a football fan. And start telling me things about football.
I live in England and I have no interest in football.

Really like this Keith. Plenty going on all over the picture. Nice pp too.

Thanks very much - appreciated. Thanks also to those who "liked" the image.

I do get a lot of shocked expressions when I tell people that I don't give a crap about football and therefore don't know what is happening.

OK, so I messed up.

Not massively, it could have been a lot worse, but while out having a go at shooting bluebells my 14-42mm R kit lens slipped out of my pocket. A good hour searching yielding nothing so it is now, basically, lost. Which is annoying considering how bloody new it was!

So I am now in a situation where I want a kit lens, and I can pretty much choose which one I go for. So, what's the best out there? It needs to be compact (rules out the F2.8 offerings), well built (I wasn't fond of the plastic mount on the 14.42 R) and have good image quality.

Ideas welcome.
Mocking me for being a plank positively encouraged.

So I am now in a situation where I want a kit lens, and I can pretty much choose which one I go for. So, what's the best out there? It needs to be compact (rules out the F2.8 offerings), well built (I wasn't fond of the plastic mount on the 14.42 R) and have good image quality.

How about the Olympus 14-42mm EZ? It makes the camera fit into a pocket and paired with an auto lens cap (the third party JJC ones will do) means that you won't lose the cap either. Plus the IQ is fairly good for a kit lens

The 14-42mm EZ and 12-50mm EZ are both pretty good I gave shown shots from them previously in the thread.

I bought a belt pouch to carry spare lens around. Which might help if you don't have zipped pockets, where things might fall out. It's actually a case for a compact camera with a belt loop on the back. I can squeeze 1 lens and a spare battery in it. When I bought my EM5ii, I guessed the sales guy wasn't going let me haggle on the price, so when he said 'no chance' I held up the case and said how about throw this in. So it was a freebee. And I don't need a proper camera bag when out shooting.

Thank you Nawty and everyone else.
I'm going with the units available now. The price hike that'll come with the new EM 1 for the extras just wouldn't justify my waiting for them. What you're saying in your post Nawty is what I expected to hear really, and thank you for that.
I'll get the EM-1 and 5mk11, they'll keep me busy for a while.

Cap
Coupled with the above cameras i've decided to go with the 12-40mm f2.8 pro, and when i can get hold of one the ED 300mm pro. what do you knowlegeable Olympus users think of the 12-40?

Just waiting for delivery of my e-m5ii with the 12-40 2.8 and the 40-150 2.8 with 1.4x extender.
I'm finding it a bit difficult to shift my old Canon gear and I was wondering if anyone had experience of a using a decent Canon to m4/3 converter so I could use my 300 f4L instead of shelling out for the Olympus 300 pro.

Just waiting for delivery of my e-m5ii with the 12-40 2.8 and the 40-150 2.8 with 1.4x extender.
I'm finding it a bit difficult to shift my old Canon gear and I was wondering if anyone had experience of a using a decent Canon to m4/3 converter so I could use my 300 f4L instead of shelling out for the Olympus 300 pro.
If you join the Olympus UK E User Group (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php), there is a guy on there called Brian1208 who uses the Canon on his Oly with excellent results. You can either PM him or do a search to find out what he uses! Just realised it is a 70-300mm L that Brian has and not a 300 L. Not at all helpful am I? Sorry!!

Last edited:

Unless you are happy with manual everything, you will be looking at spending roughly £300 to get a decent (metabones) adapter. That adapter would function but the AF speed would be nowhere near native speeds.

How about the Olympus 14-42mm EZ? It makes the camera fit into a pocket and paired with an auto lens cap (the third party JJC ones will do) means that you won't lose the cap either. Plus the IQ is fairly good for a kit lens

The 14-42mm EZ and 12-50mm EZ are both pretty good I gave shown shots from them previously in the thread.

I've been looking at the 14-42mm EZ but am concerned by the varied reports on image quality. Some say it is the best olympus kit, others say not. Used prices are pretty good though...
It's a shame the 12-50mm is not very compact, everything else makes it perfect. Especially the 12mm wide end.

I bought a belt pouch to carry spare lens around. Which might help if you don't have zipped pockets, where things might fall out. It's actually a case for a compact camera with a belt loop on the back. I can squeeze 1 lens and a spare battery in it. When I bought my EM5ii, I guessed the sales guy wasn't going let me haggle on the price, so when he said 'no chance' I held up the case and said how about throw this in. So it was a freebee. And I don't need a proper camera bag when out shooting.

Now that is a pretty good plan, something to hook on the belt. I might even have a couple lying around... Cheers!

Well I just bought a nice used Olympus 17mm F1.8 from LCE which I hope will be my main lens for my EM5-II :)

Unless you are happy with manual everything, you will be looking at spending roughly £300 to get a decent (metabones) adapter. That adapter would function but the AF speed would be nowhere near native speeds.
Sorry Richard, but I didn't realise you lost AF speed. I should have checked before I posted!

Nice! I've been weighing that against the Panasonic 15mm F1.7.

yeah I had that argument in my head as well but I wanted closer to 35mm in old money as this will be on the camera for 35 days pretty much solid for my holidays.

yeah I had that argument in my head as well but I wanted closer to 35mm in old money as this will be on the camera for 35 days pretty much solid for my holidays.

Thinking logically I should go the same route. My 35mm F2 is pretty much permanently attached to the 5D so it makes sense since this camera is for times when the 5D is too big/heavy (ie most times...) I should replicate focal length.

But that 15mm is a tempting alternative...

Thinking logically I should go the same route. My 35mm F2 is pretty much permanently attached to the 5D so it makes sense since this camera is for times when the 5D is too big/heavy (ie most times...) I should replicate focal length.

But that 15mm is a tempting alternative...

Wow man after my own heart, mine is to replicate my old FE2 and 35mm F2.5...

I've used my Canon 300/f4 L on my E-M1 via a cheap EOS to m4/3rds adapter. The adapter doesn't do any electronic linkage to the lens at all, so there's no AF and the aperture is fixed (you can set it on a Canon body and then remove it with it set but I just use it at f4). Given those caveats, the results have been surprisingly good :) Obviously the smaller sensor means you're only using the central part of the Canon lens' image circle, so I don't have any problem with it at full aperture.

Coupled with the above cameras i've decided to go with the 12-40mm f2.8 pro, and when i can get hold of one the ED 300mm pro. what do you knowlegeable Olympus users think of the 12-40?
The 12-40 f2.8 is stunning and rarely leaves my E-M1 except for macro work

... my 14-42mm R kit lens slipped out of my pocket. A good hour searching yielding nothing ...
Take a wide garden rake out there after the bluebells have finished.
Think of it as being paid fifty quid to look for it ... if you get it in under two hours you are quids in!!

...my 14-42mm R kit lens slipped out of my pocket.....
Have you got a mate with a metal detector? Assuming there is enough metal in it to find.

eBay has G1s with 14-45s attached for a little over £100, which is quite a bargain for a nice kit lens.

Edit: on second thoughts, don't trample all the bluebells :(

Last edited:
Take a wide garden rake out there after the bluebells have finished.
Think of it as being paid fifty quid to look for it ... if you get it in under two hours you are quids in!!

I'll probably go have a look anyway, the spot is only five minutes walk from where I work. It will be interesting to if it has survived the last 48 hours rain... and if anyone else has spotted it!

Have you got a mate with a metal detector? Assuming there is enough metal in it to find.

eBay has G1s with 14-45s attached for a little over £100, which is quite a bargain for a nice kit lens.

Edit: on second thoughts, don't trample all the bluebells :(

I don't think there is a great lot of metal in these lenses to be honest, it's so light and the mount is even plastic!
Funnily enough I've already got a 14-45mm attached to a Lumix G1, it's a great little lens I agree just a bit on the big side compared to the olympus.

Don't worry, the bluebells are safe though. I could have gone rooting through them but wouldn't have felt right.

Mine has a metal mount.

While the supposed difference in IQ is a little exaggerated, the build quality and handling is nicer.

Posted this in a new thread Loose focusing ring, anyway to tighten or make stiffer? but linking to it in here because you guys are most likely to have some suggestions:

I have an Olympus 9-18mm lens for a micro 4/3 camera and it’s a good little lens but the focusing ring is right on the front edge and is very easy to rotate. I was using it in some fairly challenging circumstances yesterday where manual focus was the only real option and I found that I kept accidentally changing the focus. Is this a common problem or is mine just loose? Is there any way of making it less easy to rotate?

BTW the camera I was using was not an Olympus.

Back