Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I found my old BR strap massive overkill for m43 and it blocking the tripod mount became a bit of a faff (yes I know you can get connectors that don't but they are even more clunky).

I had a Peak Designs one but the dongle connector things are annoyingly big and clunky and bash about a bit, stopped using it.

The Op-Tech sling looks ok but I'd be wary of using just one strap loop, especially on an Oly camera and double especially on an EM1 which has a reputation for the strap lugs just falling off.

The strap I still have on my EM1 is a DSPTCH strap which isn't perfect but seems a good compromise and never really gets in the way.

I found my old BR strap massive overkill for m43 and it blocking the tripod mount became a bit of a faff (yes I know you can get connectors that don't but they are even more clunky).

I had a Peak Designs one but the dongle connector things are annoyingly big and clunky and bash about a bit, stopped using it.

The Op-Tech sling looks ok but I'd be wary of using just one strap loop, especially on an Oly camera and double especially on an EM1 which has a reputation for the strap lugs just falling off.

The strap I still have on my EM1 is a DSPTCH strap which isn't perfect but seems a good compromise and never really gets in the way.
Thanks, will check it out.

I found my old BR strap massive overkill for m43 and it blocking the tripod mount became a bit of a faff
I know.:) But my kit always feels safe (if you know what I mean) I have tried other straps and for me my trusty BR is the one.

What about this one on eBay item no 271910390745
Looks like it uses both lugs

So it does, but then that looks like they will get in the way and some of the goodness of a sling strap will be lost.

Straps are highly personal and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another as even what clothes you tend to wear is a factor. I came to the conclusion that if you value a good strap then you might just need to buy a few to see.

Great price. Seems to be the silver on only otherwise I may have been £300 poorer
I was torn because I did not fancy silver... but ended up going with the reasoning 'It's a lens I want and was being put off by price' and bought it.
If I hate the color, I can always ebay it and not lose out!

I was torn because I did not fancy silver... but ended up going with the reasoning 'It's a lens I want and was being put off by price' and bought it.
If I hate the color, I can always ebay it and not lose out!

Interested to hear what you think of it when it arrives.

Oi @minnnt - wha' cho doin' rand 'ere, sunshine ? :police::police::police:

Does anybody here use a 12-40 2.8 and a 17mm 1.8? I have a 12-40 which I use a lot and cannot fault it but I do fancy having the 17mm 1.8 for travelling light but concerned that it may not get too much use.

Does anybody here use a 12-40 2.8 and a 17mm 1.8? I have a 12-40 which I use a lot and cannot fault it but I do fancy having the 17mm 1.8 for travelling light but concerned that it may not get too much use.
ive got the 2.8 pro and the oly 12mm and the panny/Leica 25mm plus others further away from the mm you mention, if there are any questions i could help with?

ive got the 2.8 pro and the oly 12mm and the panny/Leica 25mm plus others further away from the mm you mention, if there are any questions i could help with?

Cheers Nik. The 12mm vs the 2.8 pro is definitely of interest if you can give me a run down on the pros and cons. I'm normally a primes sort of guy and I quite like the idea of using 12mm, 17mm and 45mm and ditch the 12-40 but the 12-40 is a great lens so it's not something I take lightly. The other factor is cost. I already have a 45mm (lovely btw). I could sell the the 12-40 and get a 17 and 12mm but I suspect that combination would cost me more than I recoup on sale of the 12-40, Hmmmm

well the 12mm is fantastic quality, i do find it needs opening a notch to get the best out of it but then again that's true of most glass. the push pull focus works very well. its a tiny little thing, about the same as the 45mm you have but the build quality is higher. image wise not a huge amount between the 12 and the pro zoom-put it this way i never think i will carry one over the other due to image quality but i do with size and weight. the combo of the three could replace the pro it depends if you prefer the convenience of the zoom over the small size of the primes. i tried the 17 but found the panny 25mm way higher image quality. tbh if you have the dosh having both sets is lovely, then carry depending on what works that day. hope that helps, anything else you want to know ask away

well the 12mm is fantastic quality, i do find it needs opening a notch to get the best out of it but then again that's true of most glass. the push pull focus works very well. its a tiny little thing, about the same as the 45mm you have but the build quality is higher. image wise not a huge amount between the 12 and the pro zoom-put it this way i never think i will carry one over the other due to image quality but i do with size and weight. the combo of the three could replace the pro it depends if you prefer the convenience of the zoom over the small size of the primes. i tried the 17 but found the panny 25mm way higher image quality. tbh if you have the dosh having both sets is lovely, then carry depending on what works that day. hope that helps, anything else you want to know ask away

Thanks Nik. I thought I'd replied to this earlier but clearly something went wrong as it's nowhere to be seen.

My thoughts on the 12-40 are similar to when I used a 24-70 on full frame. Basically those lenses deliver everything you could ask of them superbly and are ideal for nearly any occasion but I've never once looked forward to using one or derived any excitement from using one. It's a great lens but always feels like a work horse or a tool! I liked 50mm equiv for a while but then I got a Fuji X100 and then later a 35mm Sigma art lens and those really switched me onto the 35mm focal length. Maybe I should think about the 25mm options though. There are some great lenses in that range and of course the Panasonic 20mm and now the 15mm. Wish I had the dosh to cover all the bases but unjustifiable at present. Though I do need to sell a few bits and bobs....

Out of interest and hypothetically, all practical elements aside, if you had the 12mm f/2 and 12-40 with you and wanted to take a pic at 12mm, would you bias toward either of them for any reason or is it really too close to call?

Thanks Nik. I thought I'd replied to this earlier but clearly something went wrong as it's nowhere to be seen.

My thoughts on the 12-40 are similar to when I used a 24-70 on full frame. Basically those lenses deliver everything you could ask of them superbly and are ideal for nearly any occasion but I've never once looked forward to using one or derived any excitement from using one. It's a great lens but always feels like a work horse or a tool! I liked 50mm equiv for a while but then I got a Fuji X100 and then later a 35mm Sigma art lens and those really switched me onto the 35mm focal length. Maybe I should think about the 25mm options though. There are some great lenses in that range and of course the Panasonic 20mm and now the 15mm. Wish I had the dosh to cover all the bases but unjustifiable at present. Though I do need to sell a few bits and bobs....

Out of interest and hypothetically, all practical elements aside, if you had the 12mm f/2 and 12-40 with you and wanted to take a pic at 12mm, would you bias toward either of them for any reason or is it really too close to call?
i enjoy using the 12mm more, no good reason really but i find the image quality out of that tiny little thing surprises me, but you sort of expect it from the pro zoom if that makes sense. i love going out with ether just the 12mm or just the 25mm it puts a huge smile on my face and makes me think more, but practically the zoom is the sensible choice. if i take the zoom i tend to leave all the others at home, its why i got it really, sometimes a one lens solution is just easier. so in a really long winded way i guess i am saying primes for the fun of picture taking and really thinking more, or the zoom on other occasions, IQ both very good.

When I bought my OMD5 I was going to get it as a kit with the 12-40, but for me I found it to be to much of a weight issue (have since bought a 7-14 and suprised how much that weights) so I went for the 25mm and later got the 15mm Pany lens.

I find the 15mm lens works for me, I really like the 35mm field of view you get with it and so far have not got into may, if any, situations where I wish I had the 12-40.

You can get them not that expensive on the used market and they seem to hold their value if you decide its not for you. Think it might be worth a punt :) but thats just my thoughts :)

And just realised that this really does not answer your question about 12-40 and 14mm combo.

Last edited:
Well just picked up a GX8 for £444 minty, think that's a pretty good deal
Put a bid in not expecting to win at that bid, solved second body decision

Last edited:
The other day I managed to move the focus point by turning the front and rear dial (vertical and horizontal) on my em1. But now I can't remember what I did to do it, can anyone help please?

Last edited:
The other day I managed to move the focus point by turning the front and rear dial (vertical and horizontal) on my em1. But now I can't remember what I did to do it, can anyone help please?

Push the D pad controls to start selecting the focus point position then use the dial to position it.

I still have my dad's old OM2SP I don't think he ever got to use it.
Brings back loads of memories.

Its a lovely camera I suggest you put some film through it.
I had one in the eighties but bought this earlier this year to replace the OM2 I had.

I had a couple of OM2SPs (they used to go through batteries really quick as I remember) as well as an OM1. Terrific cameras.
Have just bought an EM10 Mk2 and am slowly getting used to it. Good to have an Olympus again though.

Back