Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've had various Fuji's over the years and have been after the x100T for the last 18 months, I'm also looking at acquiring the E2s. I love Fuji colours.

I've had various Fuji's over the years and have been after the x100T for the last 18 months, I'm also looking at acquiring the E2s. I love Fuji colours.
Is this the correct thread for this?

All this X100 talk has got me thinking. I'm a big X100 fan myself and would happily have another if used prices weren't so stubbornly high (sold mine 3 years ago for less than they're currently selling for, oops). Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if Olympus made a modern day 35 SP? A bit like a Pen F, a bit smaller and simpler. Fixed fast lens in the 35mm-40mm equiv range. Could be nice!

Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if Olympus made a modern day 35 SP? A bit like a Pen F, a bit smaller and simpler. Fixed fast lens in the 35mm-40mm equiv range. Could be nice!
I'm hoping for the XA-D. I loved my full frame Olympus XA rangefinder. F/2.8 35mm lens in a tiny pocketable format.

See: http://www.diaxa.com/xa.htm

The Fujis are quite bulky. So the nearest would be a Panasonic LX or GM, or a Sony RX.

olympus-21.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies alfbranch, was just asked to give a reason why i'd bought the fuji while having my OMD5 mkii.

Just been back through a few old photos. Forgot I'd shot this. I think this was my first play with Live Composite mode. Really is fantastic for stuff like this. I'm sure there are long winded ways of achieving the same effect with layered multi exposures but this just makes it a doddle.

Rush Hour.jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr
Great shot, I love Live Comp & Live Time.

It's one of the things that I think is a bonus when I have GAS to change systems.

After not getting on with the full clutch type strap, I thought I would try a wrist one for a while. So I knocked this up out of an offcut of leather I had lying around. Just needs a final polish up to finish

I don't see any IQ loss at all - tbh, I lose more with a CPL fitted. Any miss-focus is down to me, not the camera

It's 100% worth the money I think

I'm not a fan of filters but I do fit UV's or protectors when needed but I've never been a fan of CPL filters, I've tried loads Hoya Pro, B+W's etc and I've not found 1 I like.

This was a Hoya - I needed to slow the shutter due to the sunlight, wanting background blur...and I don't have a ND
Maybe it need to examine my shots more closely

That's cheap! Camerapricebuster reckons Wex are selling for £99,999 at the moment LOL.

Clearly incorrect, but made me chuckle!

Simon.
Good old CPB's

Very expensive at €1999 we're only getting around €1.14 to £1.00 at the moment.
That would make it £1753.50, that's full frame money.

That's my thought..

But do I want FF... I could only buy the body and 1 lens if I sold up. Certainly no 50-140 + TC equivalent.

Then again... I'd have to spend £1100+ on the mkII as an upgrade so maybe I'd be saving money

Man maths eh..

I already have a D750 and E-M5 MKII the E-M5 is nice but the D750 paired with a good lens is fantastic, but Olympus can hold there own, the thing for me is low light a FF sensor just leaves the Olympus way behind in high ISO situations.

I'm off the Fuerteventura in 4 weeks I'll be taking the Olympus with me and if I can stay off the pop for a few night I'm going to venture out into the dark areas to try some milky way shots and use the trick feature (live composite) for some star trails so watch this space for the results.

That's the thing - FF is great. Nikon have issues with the d750, then there's the faff of front/back focussing which you don't get with m43.

I have such a wide range covered at the moment, I wonder if just a 16-80 and some kind of 70-200 would cut it. No doubt I'd want a prime and then a TC...

And...out of control again :)

Just want to clarify something on the M-10 mk1. In one of the Myset's I have set the rear arrow pad to control the zoom. But 2 of the buttons zoom out and the other two zoom in, so basically 2 buttons are wasted.

Is that correct ?

Just want to clarify something on the M-10 mk1. In one of the Myset's I have set the rear arrow pad to control the zoom. But 2 of the buttons zoom out and the other two zoom in, so basically 2 buttons are wasted.

Is that correct ?
its a lot easier to have one of the top wheels set up roll one way to zoom in other way for out, sorry cant help with the buttons set up like you have

That's the thing - FF is great. Nikon have issues with the d750, then there's the faff of front/back focussing which you don't get with m43.

I have such a wide range covered at the moment, I wonder if just a 16-80 and some kind of 70-200 would cut it. No doubt I'd want a prime and then a TC...

And...out of control again :)
Gawwwwwwwwwd. You do fanny around.

its a lot easier to have one of the top wheels set up roll one way to zoom in other way for out, sorry cant help with the buttons set up like you have
The M10 mk1 does not seem to have that option.

It does not look right though. left / right are set to zoom and up / down to exposure comp. But which ever is set on the left / right, also does the same on the up / down.

If I change it to exp comp left / right and zoom up / down, all buttons just do exp comp.

The M10 mk1 does not seem to have that option.

It does not look right though. left / right are set to zoom and up / down to exposure comp. But which ever is set on the left / right, also does the same on the up / down.

If I change it to exp comp left / right and zoom up / down, all buttons just do exp comp.
it does mate, ive got one :)

I go to custom menu B, dial function and for example choose A and the choices are
FNo, exposure +/- and flash +/-

I go to custom menu B, dial function and for example choose A and the choices are
FNo, exposure +/- and flash +/-
i thought of something, what zoom do you mean? focus peaking, zooming on pics taken or digital zoom? if its digital zoom you only need a single button as its on and off, f1 or vid rec button might work better, or alternately just zoom in post processing as its the same thing. i use the rear top wheel for zooming in on pics taken and for zooming in/out on focus. sorry dont have camera to hand at the moment but will try to chk tomorrow before work if i have time.

sorry mate i don't have a clue i use the zoom ring on the lens, wasn't even aware you could do it with buttons.

It has to be an EZ lens and I have read some where else that all the arrow pad becomes part of this when enabled. So up/right zoom in and down/left zoom out.

It has to be an EZ lens and I have read some where else that all the arrow pad becomes part of this when enabled. So up/right zoom in and down/left zoom out.
ive got the EZ lens as well as others, any reason your not using its zoom ring? its a lot easier!

that's interesting, i would of thought the little buttons would of been harder for you. you live and learn. highly recommend the auto lens cap for the ez makes it so quick to use i have the cheaper one off amazon and it works fine jjc i think is the maker

that's interesting, i would of thought the little buttons would of been harder for you. you live and learn. highly recommend the auto lens cap for the ez makes it so quick to use i have the cheaper one off amazon and it works fine jjc i think is the maker

I like the look of that lens cap. My left hand is worse than my right, can't close it fully

Woohoo.
Finally get to post in this thread :D
Got my bonus at work so splashed out and upgraded my E-PL7.
It's not new but hardly has a mark. Bought from MPB and their service was good so hopefully won't regret it!
Already had the lens, but bought the additional grip(s) as an addon.

A lot of features to go through!
Compared to the E-PL7 it feels so much more solid and I love the standard quietness of the shutter.

Couple of questions, how do people use the focus bracketing option and what stacking software?
I tried Helicon, but it doesn't seem to like native Olympus RAW which makes it a faff converting to DNG in Lightroom first.
Any easier routes available?

Secondly, found a few 'experts' guides on Amazon for this body.
Are they worth it, any really useful tweaks or info that you would not otherwise know about?

Olympus OM-D E-M5 II by -ajf.350d-

Last edited:
Back