Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

And another thing Mr Olympus, why did you find it necessary to change the multi function socket from that on the Mark I? This means I have to buy yet another cable release.

This has puzzled me too. I have found that the only way to make the centre point "stick" is to centre it either by use of the touch screen or by bringing up the target screen with the arrow buttons and centering using them. Any function button you have set to centre the focus point will centre it only until you turn off the camera. A bit of crazy programming IMHO.

I find this issue quite bizarre. I've never had the issue but would have contacted Olympus by now if I had, instead of tolerating it.

I find this issue quite bizarre. I've never had the issue but would have contacted Olympus by now if I had, instead of tolerating it.
I don't find it much of a chore to re-centre using the arrow buttons tbh, but I may raise the issue with Olympus at Birmingham NEC.

One other issue I find impossible so far to crack is that no matter what length of time I set to display an image on the screen after exposure, it disappears from the screen the second I move the camera from my face. Any suggestion?

One other issue I find impossible so far to crack is that no matter what length of time I set to display an image on the screen after exposure, it disappears from the screen the second I move the camera from my face. Any suggestion?

Wrench icon --> Rec View --> adjust time. Let me know what the time was set at.

However it sounds like both the cameras need a reset.

Last edited:
And another thing Mr Olympus, why did you find it necessary to change the multi function socket from that on the Mark I? This means I have to buy yet another cable release.

Canon E3 and Pentax cable releases fit.

Last edited:
just a shot from a quick walk up the road, i just liked the sideways-look he gave from under his fringe:D

P1030002-2 copy.jpg

So after selling my EM5-II last year and flirting with an RX100-III, G7x, and XT1 in my never ending quest to find a lighter setup to 'compliment' my D750 I've decided to come back to Olly. EM1 and 12-40mm should be arriving early next week :D

So after selling my EM5-II last year and flirting with an RX100-III, G7x, and XT1 in my never ending quest to find a lighter setup to 'compliment' my D750 I've decided to come back to Olly. EM1 and 12-40mm should be arriving early next week :D

It was only a matter of time, mhua-ha-ha-haaaaaa!

Went to York at the weekend and ended up wandering around the Art Gallery for a few hours (weather wasn't great outside)

My wife is into art - so she spent her time looking at the paintings and sculptures and I spent my time people watching :)

Body Language by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Eye Contact by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

I like them, superficially just ok but then realise there is a lot to consider :)

Managed to convince you m43 is rubbish then..

Is an em1 lighter than an xt1?

I've fancied giving the em5ii a go
Smashing camera, was impressed with mine. Was between this and the EM1 for me this time around, only reason I chose the EM1 is the ergonomics with the 12-40mm. Have to admit, the EM5-II is a nicer looking camera though.

If you chose an Em5ii over a EM10ii was it primarily for the weather sealing and larger body?
Missed this.

Reasons for the em5 mk2 over the em10 mk2 are the larger evf, flippy screen (dislike the fact that it is largely redundant in portrait orientation), additional controls and i get to use my spare batteries and charger.

How many people have experience and can comment on the focus speed on moving objects *e.g. a toddler indoors) between the em1 and em5mk2?
Also, does anybody have experience of the panasonic gh4? The reviews give the autofocus good ratings.

Damian, i have too many M43 lenses and no desire to go back to a large dslr and lenses, despite the better focussing abilities.

Missed this.

Reasons for the em5 mk2 over the em10 mk2 are the larger evf, flippy screen (dislike the fact that it is largely redundant in portrait orientation), additional controls and i get to use my spare batteries and charger.

How many people have experience and can comment on the focus speed on moving objects *e.g. a toddler indoors) between the em1 and em5mk2?
Also, does anybody have experience of the panasonic gh4? The reviews give the autofocus good ratings.

Damian, i have too many M43 lenses and no desire to go back to a large dslr and lenses, despite the better focussing abilities.
I should be able to answer your question about the AF difference between the EM5-II and EM1 next week. I wasn't particularly impressed with it in the EM5-II TBH, but my reference point is the D750 so a bit skewed ;)

Smashing camera, was impressed with mine. Was between this and the EM1 for me this time around, only reason I chose the EM1 is the ergonomics with the 12-40mm. Have to admit, the EM5-II is a nicer looking camera though.

Yeah for me the em1 is a little big for what I would want it for (every day camera to go in a work bag etc).
Then there's the em10ii but that doesn't have the screen of the em5ii.
I like the idea of the long exposure live view feature. Can't remember what it's called.

Yeah for me the em1 is a little big for what I would want it for (every day camera to go in a work bag etc).
Then there's the em10ii but that doesn't have the screen of the em5ii.
I like the idea of the long exposure live view feature. Can't remember what it's called.
That's why I bought the EM5 first time around, but when they have the 12-40mm the size difference is negligible. With a pancake lens the size difference is a bit more apparent. There's still not a lot in it though, there was more of a difference between my EM10 and EM5-II IMO, although it might have been the weight difference making it feel that way.

I know what feature you mean but I can't think of the name either :LOL: I never used it TBH.

Last edited:
Isn't there two live long exposure modes? One 'normal' one where you see the image gradually exposing, and live composite where it blends multiple exposures, each time only adding changes in light e.g. with light painting you could take a picture of the background and then add light paintings without re-exposing/overexposing the background?

As far as I'm aware it's on all models barring the EM5.

The GH4 has good autofocus, but for moving subjects the E-M1 is better.

I mainly use the GH4 as a 4K videocam.

The sweet agony of indecision is now over, I bought a s/hand E-M1 mkii from Aperture last night. It was described as "low actuations and as new".
Saw that on the Olympus forum, looks like you got a good deal there (y)

I bought this in the end, too cheap not to really (y) Haven't had much chance to use it but planning on taking it out this afternoon.
I've ordered the 12-40mm so don't need this lens, but for that price I'm sorely tempted and am intrigued and might make a nice light alternative. I'm guessing I wouldn't lose much selling it on once it goes back up to full price?

The GH4 has good autofocus, but for moving subjects the E-M1 is better.

I mainly use the GH4 as a 4K videocam.

Thanks, do you have any experience of em5 mk2 vs em1?

EDIT
I also didn’t want to spend that much as they are still holding their value well.

Thanks, do you have any experience of em5 mk2 vs em1?

EDIT
I also didn’t want to spend that much as they are still holding their value well.

CAF - EM1, just about usable (bit dodgy in poor light), EM5ii unusable to the point of not bothering to ever select CAF. Ever.
SAF - the same on both

CAF - EM1, just about usable (bit dodgy in poor light), EM5ii unusable to the point of not bothering to ever select CAF. Ever.
SAF - the same on both

Thanks Nawty,

for a single shot of a toddler running toward camera, would you use saf or caf? Is caf for burst shooting (I have never enabled it on my em5 so am in position of ignorance)

Thanks, do you have any experience of em5 mk2 vs em1?.

I've had the E-M5 MkI and CAF didn't work basically. I haven't had the opportunity to assess if the E-M5 MkII is any better in this regard, but Ned's experience above suggests it isn't great.

I've sold the E-M5 in favour of an E-M1 MkI (for action), an E-M10II (for travel - actually CAF does work better on this than on the E-M5), and a GH4 (for video).

Back