Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm not sure. My EM5ii uses the "EP 15" . It should be possible to find the model number for each eyepiece for each camera.
They are not the same.

Olympus EP-15 Eyecup for OM-D E-M5 MK II

I think they are the same for E-M5, I know about the MK II as I've lost mine twice, not as bad as my Nikon D750 I used to lose that weekly.

Im trying to find a replacement eyepiece cover for my dads em5 but I keep drawing a blank some how, anyone know where they can be got from?

Luton Cameras have a bunch of spares for Olympus cameras:

http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/

Got to "Shop", "accessories" and then "Eye cups & adaptors". Its the EP-10 that you need according to the website. I needed an accessory port cover for an E-PL7 once and managed to find one here.

Last edited:
Can users of the em5ii please comment on their use if the hi res mode,hiw have you found it in use and funal image.
Many thanks

Also the em5ii with 12-40 pro seems a saving of about £200 on the lens but preferring primes not sure if just body makes more sense,how good is the 12-40 on the 5.

Can users of the em5ii please comment on their use if the hi res mode,hiw have you found it in use and funal image.
Many thanks
Never used the hi-res mode as it means mounting the camera on a tripod to shoot a static subject. As far as the 12-40 i'd give that some thought over primes as its quite a heavy lens

Never used the hi-res mode as it means mounting the camera on a tripod to shoot a static subject. As far as the 12-40 i'd give that some thought over primes as its quite a heavy lens
Couldn't agree more it's a lovely piece of glass but detracts from what m4/3 means to me I love my primes

Many thanks

Also the em5ii with 12-40 pro seems a saving of about £200 on the lens but preferring primes not sure if just body makes more sense,how good is the 12-40 on the 5.

I never use the hi-res mode, typically if I want a high res landscape I'll stitch some images. When I tried it just the once indoors it worked but I've no real use for it.

I use the 12-40 pro on the EM5ii all the time, in fact that is my normal travel combo (as opposed to using the EM1). The lens itself is as sharp as the primes and is weather proof, which the primes aren't. It is bigger than a prime (but smaller and more convenient than carrying lots of primes) and it 'only' f/2.8, which for me is fast enough for most things except indoor work. The lens doesn't balance as well as it does on the EM1 but it is still fine.

Personally, I would just get the zoom as despite owning all the primes I barely ever use them, but it's up to you.

The only primes I own are macro lenses.
I do not use hi res mode fequently and messed up last time I did. I forgot to check the format it was set to and it switched to jpeg even though I was shooting in RAW.
I now have a set of hi res mono jpegs when I was shooting for RAW

What are peoples experience with focus speed and tracking of the mark 1 EM1 and the mark 2 EM5. I have a omd em5 mk1, and focussing of a toddler walking / running towards the camera is often problematic, particularly indoors. Hoping for some good price reductions in the new year, hopefully around £500 to £550.

my lenses
primes
samyang fisheye
olympus 17, 25, 45 and 60

zooms
olympus 9-18
panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 35-100

Posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought it was worth posting here as well.

The little Olympus has changed the way I look at photography and I would never have considered lugging my DSLR into work and around Leeds city centre this morning.

The IBIS also made this shot easy to achieve - I give you the path to perfection :)

The Path to Perfection by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Posted this elsewhere on the forum but thought it was worth posting here as well.

The little Olympus has changed the way I look at photography and I would never have considered lugging my DSLR into work and around Leeds city centre this morning.

The IBIS also made this shot easy to achieve - I give you the path to perfection :)

Dave.
Nice shot Dave,is that the endless path to perfection ?;)

What are peoples experience with focus speed and tracking of the mark 1 EM1 and the mark 2 EM5. I have a omd em5 mk1, and focussing of a toddler walking / running towards the camera is often problematic, particularly indoors. Hoping for some good price reductions in the new year, hopefully around £500 to £550.

my lenses
primes
samyang fisheye
olympus 17, 25, 45 and 60

zooms
olympus 9-18
panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 35-100

IMHO, poor. I have the e-m1 mk1 along with FE, 9-18, 12-40, 30 1.4 and 40-150 pro and they're all unable to track subjects coming towards you or going away from.

I have been to a skatepark today and tried absolutely every setting there is, none of which was successful - I was like a man swatting a fly. C-af + TR high or low failed ( wandered off if contrast was lost ), s-af and c-af failed.

I'm having a huge dilemma - my youngest is increasingly into scooters and bmx and I'm missing 99% of these shoots. I don't believe it's technique as I have pushed the shutter speed and ISO but still get OOF shoots. I can do panning perfectly well but when my 13 year old can get better results with his d3100, I start thinking I have the wrong system

I'm not speaking from experience,just what I've read and if I wanted to shoot such moving subjects i wouldn't consider a mirrorless at all although some have posted success but your experience seems a better judge,

It's difficult - to change systems means sacrifice, whether that be size or financial. I'm not prepared to throw £1800 at the mk2 body as I don't only shoot "sports" and realistically no one needs 60fps.

*confused*

Dave.
I like this one Dave.

I bought an E-M10 and a couple of primes to use as a carry around camera and am using it in places where l would never have bothered taking my D750.

I like this one Dave.

I bought an E-M10 and a couple of primes to use as a carry around camera and am using it in places where l would never have bothered taking my D750.
I bought the Pen F for the same reason Pete - mainly for when out and about with the wife.

Problem is - I havent had the D810 out of its bag since I got the Pen F 2 months ago :)

I bought the Pen F for the same reason Pete - mainly for when out and about with the wife.

Problem is - I havent had the D810 out of its bag since I got the Pen F 2 months ago :)
Got a pen f to put off the inevitable em1 mkii purchase until prices/offers improve. So far so good although the reviews on the mkii are making it difficult to hold out (occasional lockups excepted), but the pen f is something special too.

Hi all, I just joined the forum. Love my E-M5ii and looking forward to being part of the community.

I have:
Oly - 9-18, 45
Pan - 20, 45-200

Would desperately love to replace the 45-200 but can't seem to convince the wife i need the 40-150mm Pro :-(

you're right, Ned - clearly f9 wasn't enough

lots wrong in this one too - clearly a good day for me :D Blown sky and swirly foreground due to 1/8s handheld

walking the hound by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice colours and composition...

And reflections. Dark sky might just need a bit of interest, but I like it anyway...

Mj

Hi all, I just joined the forum. Love my E-M5ii and looking forward to being part of the community.

I have:
Oly - 9-18, 45
Pan - 20, 45-200

Would desperately love to replace the 45-200 but can't seem to convince the wife i need the 40-150mm Pro :-(
Hi
Have you tried the Hi res mode yet?

I would like to see some examples from forum members,a big thing was made of it at time of release but I don't see much in the way of what consumers have done with it,if it's not such a useful add-on I might just go for the em10mk2 rather than 5 as I dont need weather resistance

I would like to see some examples from forum members,a big thing was made of it at time of release but I don't see much in the way of what consumers have done with it,if it's not such a useful add-on I might just go for the em10mk2 rather than 5 as I dont need weather resistance

I'd read that a lot of people found it useless before I bought my EM5ii. But, undeterred, I bought one anyway and found myself using hi-res mode a lot. There are lots of circumstances where it doesn't really work but I found a lot of stuff where it was brilliant. My big thing is landscapes and city scapes, often at night so long exposures. Under these circumstances, any movement is not a big issue, or certainly no worse than if you were doing a single exposure. Even light trails look pretty natural because there isn't much of a delay between exposures (I think you can choose the delay yourself). And of course for stuff that is still, it's fantastic. You'll need a very steady tripod though as we're talking about single pixels of movement. PM me your email address if you want me to send you some real raw files to play with.

I'd read that a lot of people found it useless before I bought my EM5ii. But, undeterred, I bought one anyway and found myself using hi-res mode a lot. There are lots of circumstances where it doesn't really work but I found a lot of stuff where it was brilliant. My big thing is landscapes and city scapes, often at night so long exposures. Under these circumstances, any movement is not a big issue, or certainly no worse than if you were doing a single exposure. Even light trails look pretty natural because there isn't much of a delay between exposures (I think you can choose the delay yourself). And of course for stuff that is still, it's fantastic. You'll need a very steady tripod though as we're talking about single pixels of movement. PM me your email address if you want me to send you some real raw files to play with.

This sums it up pretty well, I don't use a tripod so find it of limited use. If you're the kind of shooter that will plan, wait and set up shots with a tripod and still subject it is useful.

I got the EM5ii to replace the EM10 I smashed and to be honest, in many ways I prefer the EM10 as it is smaller, lighter and simpler which suits the type of shooting I did with it. However, it isn't weatherproof and I like that in my cameras.

Thanks graham,im very impressed with those images,thankyou

The new EM1ii high res mode improves on the EM5ii results: "the new Truepic 8 processing engine can recognize the subject movement area in the image and correct it by superimposing the same area with a 20MP original image. The downside is that the "corrected movement area" will have reduced resolution since it was taken from a single shot"
https://robinwong.blogspot.de/2016/11/olympus-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-review_8.html?m=1

Back