Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks Nawty,

for a single shot of a toddler running toward camera, would you use saf or caf? Is caf for burst shooting (I have never enabled it on my em5 so am in position of ignorance)

Depends on which direction they were running but on the EM1 I would use CAF and fire of 10 frames (10FPS) and expect some of them to be in focus, on the EM5ii I would use SAF and just take the one or two shots.

Thanks Nawty,

for a single shot of a toddler running toward camera, would you use saf or caf? Is caf for burst shooting (I have never enabled it on my em5 so am in position of ignorance)

CAF on the EM1, I just happen to also have it set for burst shooting as it ups your chances of a great shot.

You'd be better to assume that the EM5ii doesn't have CAF.

Thanks Nawty,

Try single AF but trust the camera,try a few without seeing it in focus in the EVF

2 main reasons I would suggest, the quantity of deals including it as a kit lens and the allure of the new 12 100 whilst being f4 vs 2.8 has improved I.S. with the new em1 mkii, many only want to cover the same focal length once in their kit.

I've noticed that there are quite a few second hand Olympus 12-40mm lenses available.

Why do you think that is?

I reckon they could be from EM10 / EM5 users who buy the lens due to the reviews and then decide they prefer a smaller prime on their small/street/travel camera; for me though it is a perfect lens and I'm happy with it on my EM5ii. Also, as said the EM1 and 2 pro lens kit is a steal at the moment so they might offload to recoup some cash.

I wouldn't worry though, they seem to be fairly bulletproof (mine is still going strong despite severe abuse) and the numbers available are keeping the used price down.

As above, bundled with kits. It's a great lens, I've just ordered another after coming back to Olly (y)

Thanks for your opinions.

I was having a play indoors this weekend (nothing scientific) with the 12mm f2, 17 F1.8, my 9-18mm,12-40 F2.8 and the 12-100 F4. and i'm trying to work out why I have several out of focus shots around 1/40th which isn't related to a specific lens?

Camera shake ? Have you tried putting them on something like a table and re-doing the shot to see if it still happens ?

Camera shake ? Have you tried putting them on something like a table and re-doing the shot to see if it still happens ?

I dont have the lenses at hand now, however camera shake at 1/40th with the supposedly super duper IS?

Can happen, I sometimes get it at higher SS than 1/40. I guess you haven't turned IBIS off accidentally ?

Is the release mode set to antishock?

Is the release mode set to antishock?
Hi Alf, do you mean the diamond shutter symbol?

Arr no I think you mean: - Menu/camera2/Anti-shock/silent. Yes it is set to 0

What I have noticed is that all the pictures (in focus and not) do not display the green focus square when reviewed on the camera? However when I took a number of shot later outside, the green square is there?

Last edited:
Are they out of focus or blurry?

Some are and some are not
Sorry what I meant is, are the ones you're not happy with out of focus (e.g. not focussed in the right place) of blurry as it camera shake/movement of the subject? Blurry images due to movement look different to out of focus ones.

As above though if you posted examples we might be able to help more.

My EM1 arrived today :banana: First time I've seen the silver one other than in pics and gave to say it looks nicer than I thought. Not had chance to play yet as the battery was pretty much flat. I forgot how long Olympus batteries take to charge, take forever :confused: You'd expect to get over 1000 shots per charge with the time it takes :LOL:

My EM1 arrived today :banana: First time I've seen the silver one other than in pics and gave to say it looks nicer than I thought. Not had chance to play yet as the battery was pretty much flat. I forgot how long Olympus batteries take to charge, take forever :confused: You'd expect to get over 1000 shots per charge with the time it takes :LOL:

I bought one of these to use whilst travelling (can now charge everything from a multi-port USB plug) and subjectively it charges quicker than the Oly one (never done any side-by-side but I'm confident it is much quicker).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-NW-...1484685446&sr=8-1&keywords=em1+neewer+charger

Gonna put the blur down to mis focusing

I will try to upload, however the exif data keeps disappearing.

Did you get the 12-100 with that EM1. I see 12-40 after reading back

Last edited:
Hi Alf, do you mean the diamond shutter symbol?

Arr no I think you mean: - Menu/camera2/Anti-shock/silent. Yes it is set to 0

What I have noticed is that all the pictures (in focus and not) do not display the green focus square when reviewed on the camera? However when I took a number of shot later outside, the green square is there?

Two parts of teh same thing. The menu setting set the time delay for the shutter when the diamond symbol is set as the realease mode.

Makes hard work of uploads, I cant be bothered.

Anyway if the 12-100 isn't to large, get it. Its very sharp.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I didn't really see anything too bad with the first 9-18 shot - it's certainly not one that I look at and think "OOF". Ok, it's not as sharp as the second one but I wouldn't be too worried

cant see any major camera shaking on any of them, all seem focused on the togs bill board-the big writing in the centre

I'm no seeing an awful lot wrong. OK it's not as sharp as some of the others, and that's also accentuated by the lack of contrast probably as a result of using 1000 ISO compared to 200 and 400 on some of the others. There's a little bit of subject movement, particularly the ladies on the right of the frame but you would expect that if people are moving and you're shooting at 1/40.

I need a quick refresh on Olympus controls. When viewing an image in playback is there a button you can configure to jump to 1:1 magnification at the focus point, or do you have to zoom 'manually' using the control dial? If it's the latter what zoom magnification is 1:1, is it 7x or 10x? I use this function a lot to check focus.

I need a quick refresh on Olympus controls. When viewing an image in playback is there a button you can configure to jump to 1:1 magnification at the focus point, or do you have to zoom 'manually' using the control dial? If it's the latter what zoom magnification is 1:1, is it 7x or 10x? I use this function a lot to check focus.
you can set a button to magnify at the level you want. press once to show area, again to mag its under the button function menu. so after you set it tap button twice to show

you can set a button to magnify at the level you want. press once to show area, again to mag its under the button function menu. so after you set it tap button twice to show
Cool, thanks (y)

Ok, so my EM1 II arrived today and most of the menus look the same as the old one which is good. I want to set it so that when in spot metering mode it always meters where the focus point is. I thought I had set that option, but when I move the focus point the small circle in the view finder stays in the centre rather than moving with the focus point. Should it move on the screen with the focus point, or is it just there so you know it is on spot metering and it is actually metering where the focus point is? Hope that makes sense :)

Ok, so my EM1 II arrived today and most of the menus look the same as the old one which is good. I want to set it so that when in spot metering mode it always meters where the focus point is. I thought I had set that option, but when I move the focus point the small circle in the view finder stays in the centre rather than moving with the focus point. Should it move on the screen with the focus point, or is it just there so you know it is on spot metering and it is actually metering where the focus point is? Hope that makes sense :)
Does the exposure change as you move the AF point around?

meter point on my mk1 is always in the centre, regardless of the focus point. I believe the manual ( that as men, we'll never read ) says so too

Back