Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Try the above, turn off live-view boost mode. ISO 200 is for very bright situations, though in auto modes it should compensate by adjusting the shutter speed or aperture. What lens are you using? Try pushing up the ISO and shoot the lens at it's widest aperture with a slower shutter speed in M mode.

To save me reading the manual can anyone remind me how to turn off auto image review (i.e. showing you the pic your just took). It's on on one of my mysets and I can't remember how to turn it off. Had a quick look in the menus but didn't see it ;)

Try the above, turn off live-view boost mode. ISO 200 is for very bright situations, though in auto modes it should compensate by adjusting the shutter speed or aperture. What lens are you using? Try pushing up the ISO and shoot the lens at it's widest aperture with a slower shutter speed in M mode.
Thank you. I’ve given up for now as Just reached our destination. I’ll have a look over next couple days.

I tried turning off the boost as suggested, it just made the picture darker and no effect to the preview

To save me reading the manual can anyone remind me how to turn off auto image review (i.e. showing you the pic your just took). It's on on one of my mysets and I can't remember how to turn it off. Had a quick look in the menus but didn't see it ;)

On the wrench > Rec review > off

Thank you. I’ve given up for now as Just reached our destination. I’ll have a look over next couple days.

I tried turning off the boost as suggested, it just made the picture darker and no effect to the preview

Odd one, has to be some setting that had a knock on effect, you could reset all settings to default

Last edited:
On the wrench > Rec review > off

Odd one, has to be some setting that had a knock on effect, you could reset all settings to default
Thanks (y)

[QUOTE="Cagey75, post: 8024950, member

Odd one, has to be some setting that had a knock on effect, you could reset all settings to default[/QUOTE]

Yeah has to be. And probably the best option. I’ll try when I get back to the car. Real shame as there’s been lots of photo opportunities. I’ll have I get manual out to see how to reset cheers

Hi guys, I have just purchased the Olympus em10 mkii and busy going through settings and not sure if it’s something I have done but when I take a picture, it flashes up the preview but when I go to play back mode to view the pic it is simply a black screen? Any ideas. I’m out and about today and was hoping to take some pics

When in playback mode, keeping the INFO button on the rear of the camera until you see the required screen

Thanks for the help guys. Got in and had another look. Turns out this is only happening when in ‘M’ mode. All other modes appear fine in playback with any settings I had input so it appears it’s just me and my lack of understanding.

As said this is new to me. Only ever had compacts which I’ve used as point and shoot in auto mode and for the last two year I’ve been using a camera phone hence buying this bit of kit and starting on a new adventure.

Thanks for the help guys. Got in and had another look. Turns out this is only happening when in ‘M’ mode. All other modes appear fine in playback with any settings I had input so it appears it’s just me and my lack of understanding.

As said this is new to me. Only ever had compacts which I’ve used as point and shoot in auto mode and for the last two year I’ve been using a camera phone hence buying this bit of kit and starting on a new adventure.

In manual mode it should be just a case of upping the ISO and reducing the shutter speed. This is full manual mode where the camera doesn't give you any assistance, your images were simply under exposed. Stick to the auto/semi auto modes until you figure it out a little more, nothing wrong with that. We're all still learning as we go ;)

As Keith said, you are best using the semi-auto modes - most people would use A (aperture) and S (Shutter speed). Best to use those for now for your photo opportunities, and practice on M when you have the chance. You could also use the various scene modes to start off with.

Good luck!

Was out a few days ago trying out the panny 12-32 on my EM5. I took this, its not a particularly good photo, but I liked how the morning sun was lighting up the church tower.

PC080032-2.jpg by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

It wasn't until I got home and ran the photo through lightroom, that I noticed these two birds. It sure does look like one is chasing the other, but I'm pretty certain the big one is a red kite. I thought they were scavengers, so its probably just a coincidence. Still it made me smile.

runforyourlife.jpg

Last edited:
Was out a few days ago trying out the penny 12-32 on my OM5. I took this, its not a particularly good photo, but I liked how the morning sun was lighting up the church tower.

It wasn't until I got home and ran the photo through lightroom, that I noticed these two birds. It sure does look like one is chasing the other, but I'm pretty certain the big one is a red kite. and I thought they were scavengers, so its probably just a coincidence, still it made me smile.

View attachment 116038

Certainly does look like a Red Kite, I shot one a fair few years back when i was in Dorchester for a visit. I'll post small, as it's a D90 image ...

Red Kite by K G, on Flickr

They are common enough in the south of the UK, some see them as scavengers/pests, I think they're beautiful. We don't get them here in the Irish midlands, we get Buzzards, but I've not seen a Red Kite around here.

Last edited:
Certainly does look like a Red Kite, I shot one a fair few years back when i was in Dorchester for a visit. I'll post small, as it's a D90 image ...

Red Kite by K G, on Flickr

They are common enough in the south of the UK, some see them as scavengers/pests, I think they're beautiful. We don't get them here in the Irish midlands, we get Buzzards, but I've not seen a Red Kite around here.
Aye, beautiful birds, I used to see plenty when I lived in Leeds, used to fly over the house.

Was out a few days ago trying out the panny 12-32 on my EM5. I took this, its not a particularly good photo, but I liked how the morning sun was lighting up the church tower.

It wasn't until I got home and ran the photo through lightroom, that I noticed these two birds. It sure does look like one is chasing the other, but I'm pretty certain the big one is a red kite. I thought they were scavengers, so its probably just a coincidence. Still it made me smile.

View attachment 116038

looks like raven to me, the tail is wrong for red kite,,

Like how the lighting is completely different on the tower.

A raven wouldn't have a wingspan like that, it's either a kite or a hawk of some kind

Looking at it again, it could actually be a Raven, bloody big 'un if it is! Unless the other bird is a blue tit or some tiny bird :D

...or much closer than you think

Doesn't look like a Raven to me, never seen a Raven with a lighter coloured head or a light stripe on the under side of the wing.

I thought buzzards had pale feathers under the wing and the head was darker, which is opposite of the bird in that photo?

I thought buzzards had pale feathers under the wing and the head was darker, which is opposite of the bird in that photo?

Buzzards vary from very pale to very dark with random patches so colouration is fine.

However, it looks a bit long-tailed and slender-winged for a buzzard but I'll be jiggered if I can offer an alternative, especially at this time of year.

Buzzard-stages-France.jpg

Adult dark Buzzard perhaps?

On a different note how long did it take to bring out the Silver version of the EM1 after the release of the black one?

You thinking on getting one? That would be one sweet camera.
I’m always “thinking” about getting new cameras ;)

The Silver EM1-II would definitely be a camera I’d be interested in, but I’d have to wait for it to come down a hell of a lot first. Bare in mind I paid less for the EM1 with 12-40mm (new UK) than the EM1-II body only current grey price.

Buzzard-stages-France.jpg

Adult dark Buzzard perhaps?

Looking at the tail it comes to a point, wedge shaped which suggests raven, most buzzards will show a white necklace on the breast, buzzard raven comparison

Raven #4 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

@snerkler I see a 100th year limited editon is coming according to rumour sites, perhapsa ti em1 mk2 is coming...

Looking at the tail it comes to a point, wedge shaped which suggests raven, most buzzards will show a white necklace on the breast, buzzard raven comparison

Raven #4 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

@snerkler I see a 100th year limited editon is coming according to rumour sites, perhapsa ti em1 mk2 is coming...
Interesting, although I don’t like the titanium tbh.

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has experienced any issues with their EVF?

I’ve had an em10ii for coming up to two years in jan. I mainly use it for holidays but it’s had a fair bit of use and until now I’ve loved it. Last night however, I was taking some photos and the EVF was working fine one minute, and the next it just black out. The sensor still works as the LCD screen goes off, it just seems as if the EVF doesn’t then switch on. I didn’t drop the camera or anything so I don’t know why it’s done this - it occasionally works but each time it stops working is for a longer period of time if that makes sense.

The only thing I can think is that I’d had the screen tilted out while I using it, have I done something to the connection? A couple of times when it has worked, lots of lines go across the display and then it sort of fizzles off whilst I've been looking at it, which is what makes me think it's connection-related, but I could be completely wrong!

Gutted as I very rarely use the LCD screen when using the camera and it's even more rare to tilt the screen out. Anyone else experienced anything like this and can offer some help please?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here has experienced any issues with their EVF?

I’ve had an em10ii for coming up to two years in jan. I mainly use it for holidays but it’s had a fair bit of use and until now I’ve loved it. Last night however, I was taking some photos and the EVF was working fine one minute, and the next it just black out. The sensor still works as the LCD screen goes off, it just seems as if the EVF doesn’t then switch on. I didn’t drop the camera or anything so I don’t know why it’s done this - it occasionally works but each time it stops working is for a longer period of time if that makes sense.

The only thing I can think is that I’d had the screen tilted out while I using it, have I done something to the connection? A couple of times when it has worked, lots of lines go across the display and then it sort of fizzles off whilst I've been looking at it, which is what makes me think it's connection-related, but I could be completely wrong!

Gutted as I very rarely use the LCD screen when using the camera and it's even more rare to tilt the screen out. Anyone else experienced anything like this and can offer some help please?

Does it freeze halfway through a shot? Were you outside in the cold? It could be the shutter sticking.

Back