Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I seem to have messed up my em5 mkii, I cant get the live view on the LCD, its just displaying the SCP instead. Help, I've been cycling through the menus for the last hour!

Have a quick read of page 21 of your manual. Press the [O] button on the top plate of your camera

Wow some fantastic images posted today, better add my own :). Had a quick walkabout with the Oly 45mm which came today. Conditions weren't great, but I wanted some snow shots and I'm pretty certain it'll be all gone tonight, the snow that is!

Snowtrees by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I like the trees Steve, you can see which way the wind was blowing :)

I seem to have messed up my em5 mkii, I cant get the live view on the LCD, its just displaying the SCP instead. Help, I've been cycling through the menus for the last hour!

I don't have the mkII, but on the mk1 there's a little button to the right of the VF? push that and see if it cycles back to it

[edit] whoops, check next page before replying, I see it's been answered :D

Last edited:
The battery grip on my E-M1 the HLD7 stopped working correctly. The battery was not powering the camera and the controls were not working correctly.
I checked the contacts were clean etc they were OK
I charged the battery and the swapped it to the body it was OK
The shutter button did work.
The control wheels did not work.

I looked up the Oly cost for repair £53
I looked at second hand one £50.

Then I was fiddling with it considering dismantling it to find the problem and I noticed two of the connector pins were were not prodruding tfrom the body of the grip.
I feared they were broken decided to take a look.

I took the top plate off and they popped up I put the top plate back on and now my grip works again.

The battery grip on my E-M1 the HLD7 stopped working correctly. The battery was not powering the camera and the controls were not working correctly.
I checked the contacts were clean etc they were OK
I charged the battery and the swapped it to the body it was OK
The shutter button did work.
The control wheels did not work.

I looked up the Oly cost for repair £53
I looked at second hand one £50.

Then I was fiddling with it considering dismantling it to find the problem and I noticed two of the connector pins were were not prodruding tfrom the body of the grip.
I feared they were broken decided to take a look.

I took the top plate off and they popped up I put the top plate back on and now my grip works again.

Can't beat a little DIY, especially when it works out :)

I have been messing about with the G80 all yesterday eve, last night and half of today, trying to figure the dang settings out, wondering why this is doing that, and why that's not doing what i want! ... argh! I was told the Olympus menu system was complicated, I figured out the em5 quicker than this. They are so different, like 2 different languages. Wondering if I should have gone for the Em5mkII instead! But ... i do love the ergo's of the G80, I reckon I'd love an em1 mkII .... maybe next Christmas .... :D

Last edited:
Funnily enough i was watching that video last night, i know that guy from way back when hacking the GF1 firmware.

Tried the EM5MK2 out at night on Wednesday at the German Christmas Market in Birmingham.

It's amazing.

Handheld at 1 second!

Carousel 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Nicely done.

Not to be nit-picky but it says 0.5 sec on Flickr? I'm sure you could do a second though, I can do 0.5 with ok keeper rate on the old em5, but more realistically 1/8

Can you really only do exposure bracketing by pressing the shutter three times? That seems a little odd, and could cause problems if you were wanting to merge. Or am I missing something?

Can you really only do exposure bracketing by pressing the shutter three times? That seems a little odd, and could cause problems if you were wanting to merge. Or am I missing something?

Put it in HDR mode and select your choice of # of shots and exposure differential and it automatically switches to Continuous High drive mode.

If you want to bracket beyond those limits then I guess you need to set it up yourself.

The E-M5ii has a HDR button which you set up in the menu
The E-M1 has a HDR/Drive button on the fron half of the button in the middle of the on/off switch

Put it in HDR mode and select your choice of # of shots and exposure differential and it automatically switches to Continuous High drive mode.

If you want to bracket beyond those limits then I guess you need to set it up yourself.

The E-M5ii has a HDR button which you set up in the menu
The E-M1 has a HDR/Drive button on the fron half of the button in the middle of the on/off switch
Doesn't the HDR function limit you to jpeg?

Doesn't the HDR function limit you to jpeg?

Nope.

And there are a couple of HDR options, you can create an in camera HDR raw file (HDR1) which is actually surprisingly useful for adding a stop or two at each end, or you can just have it bracket raw shots for you.

No but check the settings when you select hdr as it may default to jpeg only

Thanks for that @alfbranch and @Nawty the Olympus menus are not as straightforward as I hoped.

Also I think when you have selected HDR remember to unset it as I think you can't make a lot of changes via the SCP and you might wonder what has happened! I hit the button accidentally and could not work out why I could not change anything!

Thanks Phil, definitely worth a go, do you have any teleconverters?

Yes a number of them a couple of 2x a 1.7x and a 1.4x might be a bit ambitious though to stack them all ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for that @alfbranch and @Nawty the Olympus menus are not as straightforward as I hoped.

I find the menus pretty straightforward (moreso than Fuji) but there are occasions where you’ve activated a feature that disables some other functions and it can be very difficult to figure out what you’ve done and how to put it back (often it’s something with a multifunction button/dial).

I find the menus pretty straightforward (moreso than Fuji) but there are occasions where you’ve activated a feature that disables some other functions and it can be very difficult to figure out what you’ve done and how to put it back (often it’s something with a multifunction button/dial).
Yeah thats happened to me, it might be the same as what happened to @akr. Had to reset the camera to get it working as before.

I actually found a nice youtube video for bracketing using the anti shock timer. Works really well in conjunction with bracketing.

The menus are pretty much what you expect from menus. But often you shouldn't be made to go to the menus. Especially when out shooting. We should be able to put things on our own 'user' SCP for quick access.

The Olympus menus do have problems though. Any setting that is an on-off toggle should toggle with one tap, not pop up a tiny submenu with just one option. E. G. Bracketing. They don't understand touch screens fully yet either.

Also. Any setting that can't be changed because you are in some special mode, like silent shutter, should pop up a tip to tell you why. And save us scratching our heads and web searching for clues.

Also. Any setting that can't be changed because you are in some special mode, like silent shutter, should pop up a tip to tell you why. And save us scratching our heads and web searching for clues.

I had mistakenly selected silent shutter instead of anti shock then couldnt set the camera to live time or even a longer shutter speed than 1/8 sec:mad::dummy::oops: :$

I had mistakenly selected silent shutter instead of anti shock then couldnt set the camera to live time or even a longer shutter speed than 1/8 sec:mad::dummy::oops: :$
Olympus are the dummies there. Plenty of people have been caught out in the same way.

Back