Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

That's really odd, only case of this I've heard to date. I used Expro for Fuji and now for Panasonic using the default chargers for both. I had the Em5 and had 3 third party batteries along with an original and all 4 worked in the em5/Oly charger [don't think any of them were Expro] so it's only a recent issue?

I’ve never come across it before, either. I’ve used Ex pro in Pentax and Fuji chargers without any problem .
Apparently Ex Pro batteries will not register on the battery charging meter on the E M1 ll. They code their batteries in an effort to get us to only buy genuine Oly batteries.

I am finding i'm processing more RAW files though with the Oly, Fuji sooc JPG's cannot be bettered in my opinion.
I find the opposite, particularly on white balance; my Olympus is nearly always spot on (for my tastes anyway, I tend to favour slightly warm photos) whereas my Fuji often needed a lot of WB adjustment. Same with exposure, I'd regularly be altering it with my Fuji and getting the associated noise increase, not so the Olympus - maybe a tweak, but more often than not nothing is needed.

Anyone here got the 14-150 oly lens, and if so, what do you think of it as a holiday/walkabout lens ?

I have one and think it's great, I'm a strong advocate of a superzoom + prime for a lightweight travel kit. Obviously you have to deal with the slower apertures if, like me, you're used to the f/2.8 zooms but in all honest in decent light it isn't a bother and then for evenings (street markets etc) I just use the prime.

Here's a shot of some African penguins, a bit of a crop IIRC:

African Penguins by Ned Awty, on Flickr

In fact all of this album was taken with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157691219449502

edit: and these: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157693888760642/with/40426118840/

I specifically bought the lens for a couple of business trips to Cape Town where I knew I'd have some R&R time.

Last edited:
I have one and think it's great, I'm a strong advocate of a superzoom + prime for a lightweight travel kit. Obviously you have to deal with the slower apertures if, like me, you're used to the f/2.8 zooms but in all honest in decent light it isn't a bother and then for evenings (street markets etc) I just use the prime.

Here's a shot of some African penguins, a bit of a crop IIRC:

African Penguins by Ned Awty, on Flickr

In fact all of this album was taken with it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157691219449502

Many thanks - I have just bought a dirt cheap EM1 as a holiday camera which comes with the cheapo 40-150, so I'll sell on that lens and get a 14-150. It'll be interesting to own an EM1 again..!

Thought I would try the 45mm Olympus as I keep reading it's a great lens for the money, now that depends how you perceive value. The 12-40 is obviously more expensive but you get a zoom and weather sealing, the results really surprised me, the prime is woeful in comparison so given the extra features of the 12-40 I will be returning the 45mm rather swiftly. Only area the 45mm wins in is the bokeh.

45mm by ImageMaker, on Flickr

12-40Pro by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thought I would try the 45mm Olympus as I keep reading it's a great lens for the money, now that depends how you perceive value. The 12-40 is obviously more expensive but you get a zoom and weather sealing, the results really surprised me, the prime is woeful in comparison so given the extra features of the 12-40 I will be returning the 45mm rather swiftly. Only area the 45mm wins in is the bokeh.

Not really a fair head-to-head unless you try both at the exact same settings. It's possibe you were off focus a little with the 45mm, as you shot it at F2, whereas you shot the 12-40 at 2.8. Instead of changing the ISO - which has no effect on DOF, shoot them both at identical settings.

Bought a screen protector from Jack the Hat for my EM5MK2 and just fitted it.

Now the screen won't close fully when it's towards the camera.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of getting one.

I think I can live with it. If not I'll remove it and be careful.

Terry.

Bought a screen protector from Jack the Hat for my EM5MK2 and just fitted it.

Now the screen won't close fully when it's towards the camera.

Just an FYI for anyone thinking of getting one.

I think I can live with it. If not I'll remove it and be careful.

Terry.

I never bothered with one as the screen lives facing inwards.

I never bothered with one as the screen lives facing inwards.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may have wasted my money as I keep mine the same Ned.

I'll give it a go but may remove it, it's been fine since I bought it so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok without one.

I've never found the 45mm woeful, but wide open it's not as sharp as the 12-40mm. But that's not surprising given the price point. It's not bad by any stretch and as you say you get more shallow DOF. I always liked the pop from the 45mm, gives a more 3d look imo.

Another lens question - any of you got or had the Panasonic 100-400, and if so, how good is it, and what can you tell me about it ?
Can you compare it to the 40-150 pro ?

Can anyone recommend a reversing ring for OMD E-M10 M11 want to try a bit of macro with the 14-42, Thanks.

I used a reversing ring with my old Pentax and a manual lens. Not sure how you will get on with the electronic controls on the 14-42mm RII - won't you lose aperture and focus control?
I don't know what the EZ would (or wouldn't do).

FWIW I bought a set of cheap of FOTGA extension rings which I used with my E-PL5 and E-M10. They were good enough to scratch my itch to try macro and worked with all the lenses I have tried - electrical contacts allowed control of everything. I mainly discovered that since buying them in 2015 I don't really enjoy macro or shoot many images in that vein ;)

Coffee beans - FOTGA extension tube test IV
by Andy McNair, on Flickr

These are some more results on FLickr
<script src="https://app.bowencraggs.com/scripts/13c01153-9d41-48e1-8044-c0b223f0a45b"></script>

They were eBay item number 251255704103 - £15 if you are prepared to wait for them to arrive from China

Wow that is a hell of a price - I paid £275 for a used one in January and thought I'd done well.
As I wouldn't have had it for trips to Amsterdam or Japan I'm not kicking myself too hard but that was an absolute bargain!

Yeah quite pleased with it, just had email and delivery is tomorrow.
Daughter has a G3 with 14-42 so will try that lens on it, not long got a Sony and need another lens for that.
Just got to mention it to my better half now, might book a weekend away as a surprise first;)

Ok new images with same ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture.....as an example i'm looking at the logo's beneath the second number 6, to my eyes there's a big difference ?

12-40 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

45 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Ok new images with same ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture.....as an example i'm looking at the logo's beneath the second number 6, to my eyes there's a big difference ?

Much better comparison, the 12-40 is sharper, and for me that's disappointing, as i had my eye on the 45mm. It also means DXOMark are well off on this one, as they have the 45mm rated higher for sharpness.

I've kind of switched the idea to the Sigma 60mm though, which should be sharper than the zoom and more of a step away from my 25mm. It'll also double as a better macro lens than the 45mm with my Raynox attached.

Last edited:
Much better comparison, the 12-40 is sharper, and for me that's disappointing, as i had my eye on the 45mm. It also means DXOMark are well off on this one, as they have the 45mm rated higher for sharpness.

I've kind of switched the idea to the Sigma 60mm though, which should be sharper than the zoom and more of a step away from my 25mm. It'll also double as a better macro lens than the 45mm with my Raynox attached.
Yeah i'm disappointed too, really wanted that better bokeh but I can't live with that lack of sharpness.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sigma, just found this short review, sample images look great.

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-60mm-f-2-8-dn-a-lens-review-22333

Last edited:
Yeah i'm disappointed too, really wanted that better bokeh but I can't live with that lack of sharpness.

Thanks for the heads up on the Sigma, just found this short review, sample images look great.

It seems excellent value for money, right now it's only £150 on Amazon. I'm in talks with a local seller for one, but he won't post :rolleyes: I'll have to bus it to Dublin City if I want to buy it, which is tempting me as it'll still be a good deal if I can haggle him down a little for having to travel. Also Dublin is a fantastic spot for testing a new lens

You may have a soft copy, because my 45mm is very sharp.

Difficult one to assess properly as that text you are referring to is more exposed (probably as a result of the angle of shot) in the 45mm shot and so not as well defined. I wonder what it would look like if you dropped the exposure a touch in that area?

Also, I wonder if the angle was exactly the same. If I enlarge both on flickr and compare the "taste supreme"and "Cantona" text looks sharper on the 45mm to my eyes which makes me question if the angle of shot and focus point was exactly the same on both?

Last edited:
Difficult one to assess properly as that text you are referring to is more exposed (probably as a result of the angle of shot) in the 45mm shot and so not as well defined. I wonder what it would look like if you dropped the exposure a touch in that area?

Also, I wonder if the angle was exactly the same. If I enlarge both on flickr and compare the "taste supreme"and "Cantona" text looks sharper on the 45mm to my eyes which makes me question if the angle of shot and focus point was exactly the same on both?

I viewed them full size on Flickr and thought the Kronenbourg symbol & lettering underneath was a bit sharper on the zoom, but only just - I thought the same about the small icons, they're more washed out on the 45 image, could be a change in light through a window or whatever so I didn't go by that.

Here we go - albeit a screen grab, it should be a good enough direct comparison

45mm 1.8 on the left, 12-40 on the right
Kronenbourg.jpg

Looking at them this closely side by side, there's really nothing in it, I think my eyes were tricked a little going back and forth between them on Flickr, I was sure the 12-40 looked sharper, I still think it is but by a fraction of a hair, real world use you won't notice. The 12-40 has slightly better contrast to my eye

Last edited:
Here we go - albeit a screen grab, it should be a good enough direct comparison

View attachment 126953
They both look softer there than flickr, but it's not saying they've been removed from flickr. However, the right image looks better there, which is the 12-40mm I think. However, the text on the bottom half was the other way around hence me questioning angle and focus point (y) Either way, not a lot in it ;)

Last edited:

Can't live with the lack of sharpness? really? you have people looking at 100% and still there is disagreement as to whether it's exactly sharper (and I think, as @snerkler is saying, it could be not comparing like for like), in the real world that difference will disappear.

However, the difference between the depth of field is quite noticeable in some instances, for example your first set of shots the 45mm one is much nicer as the background is thrown out of focus enough to stop being a distraction whereas with the zoom it is clearly a radiator and therefore quite distracting.

And lets face it, if you are shooting m43 absolute sharpness probably isn't at the top of your priority list, if it were we'd shoot full frame.

They both look softer there than flickr, but it's not saying they've been removed from flickr. However, the right image looks better there, which is the 12-40mm I think. However, the text on the bottom half was the other way around hence me questioning angle and focus point (y).

That'll be the forum compression I guess, but as they're both lifted the same way it should still be one way to compare. Considering the price of the 45mm, it holds up pretty good, though I would have expected a prime to pull ahead at 2.8

Sharpness is not the be all, end all, of course not, but if you like doing a lot of close up work it can make a difference, less of a need to add sharpening in post, which I prefer to do as little as possible. Consider if this was a close up of a rare butterfly instead of beer cans, then detail matters

Last edited:
Nothing to compare in the focused area, however in my opinion the 45mm has a far better bokeh

When you look at cost the 12-40 is far better value with the zoom range and weather sealing, when I had Fuji gear there were always IQ advantages when switching to a prime, maybe this isn't simply a case of the 45mm being poor but the 12-40 being outstandingly good.

I can clearly see that part of the small logo under the 6 is missing / faded out on the 45 but it's clearly there in much more detail in the 12-40 image.

I can clearly see that part of the small logo under the 6 is missing / faded out on the 45 but it's clearly there in much more detail in the 12-40 image.

But that's down to you, the exposure is slightly different and the framing is slightly different causing the highlights to shift over the logo. Judging a lens on one shot/subject is daft.

But that's down to you, the exposure is slightly different and the framing is slightly different causing the highlights to shift over the logo. Judging a lens on one shot/subject is daft.
Actually i've taken several images of different things and the results are the same, i'm not clogging up my flickr with endless samples to win a debate on here. My main point is if i'm spending an extra £209 I want as much of that £209 to be an improvement over what I can get from the 12-40. If it was clearly better but not by much then it's a case of diminishing returns on your investment but when it's not as good as you already have it goes back.

Actually i've taken several images of different things and the results are the same, i'm not clogging up my flickr with endless samples to win a debate on here. My main point is if i'm spending an extra £209 I want as much of that £209 to be an improvement over what I can get from the 12-40. If it was clearly better but not by much then it's a case of diminishing returns on your investment but when it's not as good as you already have it goes back.

I’m pretty sure you are experiencing what most of the online reviews say, which is that the pro zoom is a touch sharper and that the only reason to get the prime is if you like primes and need the extra stop and a bit of aperture. Most people buy the prime as they can’t afford the pro zoom and it is very good VFM if you buy it at a discounted price.

FWIW I haven’t used my 45mm since getting the pro-zoom but if I did portraits or wanted shallow DoF I would dig it out again. One thing about the pro zoom is that the bokeh can be pretty hard and ugly, the 45mm is creamier (to use the common vernacular) and generally nicer.

URGENT HELP REQUIRED while out taking a few shots today my OMD EM10 mk2 and I when for a short unplanned swim when I slipped and fell in a stream. The camera was only in the water for about 3 seconds max and after wiping it dry everything seemed OK. A couple of hours later the lens fogged slightly - swapped lens and carried on shooting everything still seemed OK. Later when I got back to our holiday accommodation I found that it would not switch on properly, first it said it had lost the time and date when I tried to reset that the rear screen went blank. Any suggestions how to recover the situation would be very very gratefully received.
I currently have the camera and lens rapped in cloth and packed in rice in sealed poly bags.

Can't live with the lack of sharpness? really? you have people looking at 100% and still there is disagreement as to whether it's exactly sharper (and I think, as @snerkler is saying, it could be not comparing like for like), in the real world that difference will disappear.

However, the difference between the depth of field is quite noticeable in some instances, for example your first set of shots the 45mm one is much nicer as the background is thrown out of focus enough to stop being a distraction whereas with the zoom it is clearly a radiator and therefore quite distracting.

And lets face it, if you are shooting m43 absolute sharpness probably isn't at the top of your priority list, if it were we'd shoot full frame.
Agreed, the 45mm does give a different look and tbh that's far more important to me that absolute sharpness. Contrast, subject separation, bokeh rendering etc etc are what I look for now. Most modern lenses are sharp enough, especially with the advances in software that all you to sharpen up images better without artefacts.

URGENT HELP REQUIRED while out taking a few shots today my OMD EM10 mk2 and I when for a short unplanned swim when I slipped and fell in a stream. The camera was only in the water for about 3 seconds max and after wiping it dry everything seemed OK. A couple of hours later the lens fogged slightly - swapped lens and carried on shooting everything still seemed OK. Later when I got back to our holiday accommodation I found that it would not switch on properly, first it said it had lost the time and date when I tried to reset that the rear screen went blank. Any suggestions how to recover the situation would be very very gratefully received.
I currently have the camera and lens rapped in cloth and packed in rice in sealed poly bags.
That's all you can do tbh and hope for the best. Whenever electronics get wet you should turn the off immediately and then not turn them back on until you are sure they're fully dry. Turning them on with any moisture on the circuitry runs the risk of it shorting out.

I always put things on the radiator to dry them out but the key is to take the battery out and not use it IMMEDIATELY, not carry on shooting...

One thing is I wouldn’t seal the poly bag, as good as rice may be at absorbing moisture I’d want that to be able to vent somewhere.

Couple of packs of these maybe ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CamKix-Ant...30496&sr=8-2&keywords=go+pro+moisture+inserts

That's all you can do tbh and hope for the best. Whenever electronics get wet you should turn the off immediately and then not turn them back on until you are sure they're fully dry. Turning them on with any moisture on the circuitry runs the risk of it shorting out.
+1 agree with this - I would have switched straight off and removed the battery.

Keeping using it was not the best idea :(

Back