Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Interesting that you went for the Oly and not the G9?

Yes, it was a close thing,not sure it would matter which one but i have the EM10MK11 and i like it,so stuck with Olympus.

A couple of snap shots in very low light with the 12-40 f2.8, no real effort on my part very much a point and shoot evening. Quite a lot of noise/grain, still undecided whether I can live with that or whether to try a prime, or go back to Fuji.......or try harder :rolleyes:

Andre_Rock_Cafe by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Deb_Rock_Cafe by ImageMaker, on Flickr

Last edited:
Please explain this.

Just researching what it will do, on the G80 it had a setting which controled how quickly it would decide to refocus if you lost focus lock on a BIF.

Just researching what it will do, on the G80 it had a setting which controled how quickly it would decide to refocus if you lost focus lock on a BIF.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the best settings, different people swear by different settings so best to find out for yourself. The best explanation is on the Australian Olympus website (don't have the link to hand)..

tell me more

tell me more

The nearest i go to understanding it was, say you where doing a BIF and you lost the focus point from your bird and the focus point went on some trees in the background, the setting decided how quickly it would try to refocus on the trees, obviously the slower you had it the more chance you would stand of getting it back on the bird before it refocused.
I thought though the more time it took to decide to refocus would not be so good for something coming towards you so i had it on the quickest which i think was +2,I could have got it wrong though.

cheers mike with you now

A question for those who have used both the E-M1 ii and E-M5 ii - how does the autofocus speed and accuracy compare - particularly caf?
Apologies if the question has been asked before.
Thank you.

Last edited:
is the em-10 mkii a good camera ,I have a spare 12-60 pano lens that came with my g80 and was wondering if its worth getting one as with the cash back it comes in at under £300 for a u.k model

A question for those who have used both the E-M1 ii and E-M5 ii - how does the autofocus speed and accuracy compare - particularly caf?
Apologies if the question has been asked before.
Thank you.

CAF on anything other than an EM1 and EM1ii is useless to the extent you may as well not have it as an option. The EM1 isn't anywhere near as good as the EM1ii but is usable, the EM1 is the bargain of the m43 world as they are really cheap 2nd hand.

SAF in good light is essentially the same, EM1ii is significantly better in dim light.

is the em-10 mkii a good camera ,I have a spare 12-60 pano lens that came with my g80 and was wondering if its worth getting one as with the cash back it comes in at under £300 for a u.k model

I have two E-M10 II's, the E-M1 MkI and the E-M1 MkII. I really love the E-M10 II for when I want to have a camera that is as small and light as possible. IQ is only slightly behind the E-M1 MkI IMO. A pair of E-M10 II's is my preferred travel setup. However please be aware that the PRO lenses usually don't balance that well with an E-M10 II body (front-heavy). This is not a problem for me because again I prefer the small zooms and primes for travel. So yes I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
so would I then be better off going for a used em1-mk1 ,totally not sure now

If weight and size was not an issue, I would bring the E-M1 MkI over the E-M10 MkII every time. However, if I'm on a bike ride I can squeeze the E-M10 II + the 40-150 or even the 70-300 slow zoom in my saddle bag; there is no chance of that with the E-M1.

As pointed out by Nawty the E-M1 MkI is an absolute bargain right now.

The 12-40 2.8 PRO lens is OK on an E-M10 or an E-M5 but the 7-14 2.8 and the 40-150 2.8 PRO lenses handle much better on an E-M1 MkI or II in my opinion.

The only other lens I have is a pano 12-60 and am considering getting another body to mount it to .thought that the olly route might be worth trying that’s it really

Depends on what you want. For me the EM1/EM1-II is the best body ergonomically due to the grip and size (obviously personal preference), and feature wise it's pretty fully spec'd. However, I still don't rate it for tracking.

My initial choice last week was the om-d mk1 and the pano/ Leica 100-400 I was eventually talked into the pano G80 with a 12-60 lens ,which has turned out to be a good choice.i also bought the 100-400

However I,m left wondering if the mk1 might have been a better choice ,so has anyone used both the olly mk1 and a pano g80 that could give a honest appraisal even more so if they use a 100-400

Last edited:
Just realised I still have not done my firmware update. I guess I am a bit dubious about it; the instructions start with telling me a non wireless approach is best.. perhaps that’s why it fell off my to do list. Is it worth it?

When I sold my Fuji gear I was very tempted to get an EM1, I bought an old cheap em5 mk1 to test the waters. I liked that camera, but it's really lacking grip, my fingers would feel cramped after extended use. The EM1 would be much more comfortable, no doubt. I ended up buying a brand new G80 though, because there was a deal going that was just too good to pass up. I have since sold the em5, but when I was using it I can tell you it got a lot more compliments than the G80. The OMD-10 and the Em5 cameras are so good looking, especially the silver versions. They do attract attention. Pity about the lack of default grip on them, I find the add on ones take from the style. I plan to buy an em10 mkII maybe, at some point as a second camera. I can live with the lack of grip if only using it casually. That or an EM1 if I can find a silver one cheap

Last edited:
Just realised I still have not done my firmware update. I guess I am a bit dubious about it; the instructions start with telling me a non wireless approach is best.. perhaps that’s why it fell off my to do list. Is it worth it?

It's worth doing.

Last edited:

I have the EM10MK11 and love it as a day out/street camera, because of what i use it for i normally shoot jpeg.

After a week of using the EM1MK11 i was ready to return it and get the Panasonic G9, i just couldnt match the BIF results i was getting with the G80.
Tried it today on S-AF instead of C-AF and it looks like i need to fine tune the focus for C-AF which uses PDAF instead of CDAF.

P5080110 by electric.mike, on Flickr

After a week of using the EM1MK11 i was ready to return it and get the Panasonic G9, i just couldnt match the BIF results i was getting with the G80.
Tried it today on S-AF instead of C-AF and it looks like i need to fine tune the focus for C-AF which uses PDAF instead of CDAF.

How do you fine tune the focus just for C-AF?

I didn't think you could do anything to the focus on mirrorless mike ,and only a week into the g80 I still dont fully understand it all but i got the impression yesterday I was getting better shots with AFS than with AFC even on b.i.f though it was more a gut feeling than based on fact .tis a long learning curve for sure ,I was on the verge of getting a Olympus om-d mk1 as a backup ,think after reading this from you I will hang fire for a while

I didn't think you could do anything to the focus on mirrorless mike ,and only a week into the g80 I still dont fully understand it all but i got the impression yesterday I was getting better shots with AFS than with AFC even on b.i.f though it was more a gut feeling than based on fact .tis a long learning curve for sure ,I was on the verge of getting a Olympus om-d mk1 as a backup ,think after reading this from you I will hang fire for a while

A lot of mirrorless cameras including the G80 only have contrast focusing, this you cant and never need to adjust.some cameras have phase detect sensors on the the sensor as a second form of focusing the EM1s have this Its the same principle as DSLR focusing (nearly).
You have DFD assist which works very well for C-AF instead of Phase.

From what i undestand you are fine tuning PDAF and it only uses that for C-AF, i am though still learning.

A lot of mirrorless cameras including the G80 only have contrast focusing, this you cant and never need to adjust.some cameras have phase detect sensors on the the sensor as a second form of focusing the EM1s have this Its the same principle as DSLR focusing (nearly).
You have DFD assist which works very well for C-AF instead of Phase.

I believe the most informative reviews, focus included, are David Thorpe on YouTube. There are extensive reviews on the G9, EM1 ii, and EM5 ii, all include autofocus settings, performance and opinions.[/QUOTE]

Back