Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Always used ExPro as my spare batteries, always worked as good as the OEM ones for me.

@JackBell I have a couple of ExPro batteries I bought from Amazon and never had a problem, although I suspect the shot count may be slightly down on the original Oly one.
There are loads of EM10 batteries on EBay. If you can't see any check you are going to /www.ebay.co.uk and not .com. search for BLS-5 battery. Theres some sites selling what they claim to be original Oly batteries for £7 - £10, but I would be somewhat suspicious of these, as a genuine Oly battery normally costs aroung £36.

@JackBell I have a couple of ExPro batteries I bought from Amazon and never had a problem, although I suspect the shot count may be slightly down on the original Oly one.
There are loads of EM10 batteries on EBay. If you can't see any check you are going to /www.ebay.co.uk and not .com. search for BLS-5 battery. Theres some sites selling what they claim to be original Oly batteries for £7 - £10, but I would be somewhat suspicious of these, as a genuine Oly battery normally costs aroung £36.
Thanks, when I searched for the actual battery code I got more results than my original search for 'battery EM10' so i've ordered a couple.

Don't forget to get a usb charger with them, so much better than a mains one.

Just playing with the Olympus em10ii slow motion video.
I have it on C-AF but it doesn't seem to focus on the Robin moving. What am I doing wrong?

Just playing with the Olympus em10ii slow motion video.
I have it on C-AF but it doesn't seem to focus on the Robin moving. What am I doing wrong?

theres a hidden setting in the menu that says c-af video just re-set my camera so cant find it without a search ,think its with the c-af tracking function though

If you had face detect on that might interfere with things, as it won't recognize the Robin as having one, as cute as they may be

I'll try that.
On further messing about I thought it might because you can't do much in slow motion

I'll try that.
On further messing about I thought it might because you can't do much in slow motion

Could be that too, maybe manual focus would get better results. Pre-focus on the area the bird is entering, stop down to f8 or so to get a broad focus range

Thanks for the help. I did have c-af on

NO there’s another one it says CAF with a little symbol of a film camera beside it It’s a line of settings along the bottom of the screen it’s the far right one

I bought a 60 macro last weekend at Fotofest Central. I was somewhat bemused to get the box home and find no lens hood. I bought it as there was only one available and I heard someone else asking about it. Great deal £35 off RRP and then cash back to reclaim. So, is it just best to pay up and get the olympus hood? I would appreciate your advice.

I bought a 60 macro last weekend at Fotofest Central. I was somewhat bemused to get the box home and find no lens hood. I bought it as there was only one available and I heard someone else asking about it. Great deal £35 off RRP and then cash back to reclaim. So, is it just best to pay up and get the olympus hood? I would appreciate your advice.

Olympus really need to quit the BS when it comes to lens hoods. ALL lenses should come with one, not just their higher end "Pro" lenses. If you feel you need one for the macro, I would get a third party offering, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-LH-J49...998067&sr=8-3&keywords=olympus+60mm+lens+hood

It'll do the same job for 1/4 the price and you get to stick a finger up at Oly for their hood stinginess.

Agree with Cagey. Oly being to tight when it come to a hood. I don't use one on my macro lens but if I was going to I would buy a 3rd party one with good reviews.

I bought this one, it folds back when ime using on camera flash for macro.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/46MM-SCR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Agree with Cagey. Oly being to tight when it come to a hood. I don't use one on my macro lens but if I was going to I would buy a 3rd party one with good reviews.

Canon are just as bad. I recall buying an ef-s 17-55 is, probably their most expensive aps-c lens, no hood, same with their ef-s 60mm Macro
For the small cost of a hood why cause this sort of negative comment from their customers
Recently bought two Panasonic m/43 lenses, hood with both of them, Fuji also supply a hood with every lens
Shame on you Olympus

Canon are just as bad. I recall buying an ef-s 17-55 is, probably their most expensive aps-c lens, no hood, same with their ef-s 60mm Macro
For the small cost of a hood why cause this sort of negative comment from their customers
Recently bought two Panasonic m/43 lenses, hood with both of them, Fuji also supply a hood with every lens
Shame on you Olympus

Yet the Sigma 19, 30 and 60 all come with hood and a case, All about £150. Apart from Greed I don't know why they can't all include a hood.

one from up in the mountains yesterday ,after the wildfires the smell of burning was still hanging in the air ,I got the feeling it could start up again very easily
burnt lands by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Hi Guys,
I'm currently a Fuji owner with an X-T2 but am getting increasingly fed up with carting such a big lump around with me - particularly when out walking. Really, what I'd like is a small, lightweight but robust camera with a zoom lens and good image quality. So I'm looking at a few options, one of which is M4/3 and particularly the OM-D E-M10 mk 2 with the kit 14-42 lens. How does this combination stack up? I'm only an enthusiastic amateur so I don't need or want huge amounts of expensive gear - just to be able to do a nice 24 inch print now and then. Any (constructive) comments would be appreciated :)

I'd go for the 12-40 f2.8 pro lens with the EM5 MK2 kit.

Fantastic combo.

I had the XT2 but couldn't get on with the artifacts I witnessed from the x-trans sensor

A quick question for those glasses wearers who have the E1 MK2

How good & usable do you find the EVF , I read that there is a setting that shrinks the view slightly putting the settings data against the surrounding black border???

Hi Guys,
I'm currently a Fuji owner with an X-T2 but am getting increasingly fed up with carting such a big lump around with me - particularly when out walking. Really, what I'd like is a small, lightweight but robust camera with a zoom lens and good image quality. So I'm looking at a few options, one of which is M4/3 and particularly the OM-D E-M10 mk 2 with the kit 14-42 lens. How does this combination stack up? I'm only an enthusiastic amateur so I don't need or want huge amounts of expensive gear - just to be able to do a nice 24 inch print now and then. Any (constructive) comments would be appreciated :)

Consider the E-M5ii and the 12-50 EZ also but the 14-42EZ is nice for its size.

1 & 5 comparison 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

1 & 5 comparison by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Gripped E-EM1 compared to a non gripped E-M5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

No-grip-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The 9-18mm is nice too and light

E-M5II compared to OM2sp 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
A friend's coming over to my place to do some photography in my studio tomorrow.

This means I get to play with his Nikon D850.

It's going to be a fun day!

Consider the E-M5ii and the 12-50 EZ also but the 14-42EZ is nice for its size.

1 & 5 comparison 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

1 & 5 comparison by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Gripped E-EM1 compared to a non gripped E-M5 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

No-grip-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The 9-18mm is nice too and light

E-M5II compared to OM2sp 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Thanks Alf - that 14-42 looks a good size but how does it perform??

A new Ikkle camera bag, cost a fiver on the bay. ;)

IMG_0138 by Pete Banks, on Flickr

And whats in it? Loads of ikkle stuff .............

IMG_0139 by Pete Banks, on Flickr
IMG_0139 by Pete Banks, on Flickr

:olympus:

Pen-F plus 14-42 lens
60mm macro lens
75-300 zoom
2 batterys, charger and USB lead
Remote cable release
Flash
I keep the lenses in those little velvet jewelry bags that cost a couple of quid

Last edited:
I like your BIFs .... would you mind sharing your settings,please?

As far as i can remember :)

Shutter priority over 1,000th, most of the time a fair bit higher, this puts exposure compensation on the front dial
Focus priority on release
Auto iso
S-AF
Image review off
Single focus point

Sorry thats all i can remember.

Last edited:
Back