Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi guys, question if I may. I’m looking for a dedicated Macro Lens, in the past when I had a Sony I used a Tamron 90mm which I loved. But is there better out there now? Any users recommend a specific one? If non micro 4/3rds can you suggest the required adapter. I would use primarily for flowers, insects etc.

I did use the Sigma 105 via an adapter but i now have the Olympus 60mm and its a cracking lens plus they are doing cash back on it until the end of the month.

Both of these are excellent...... a pity about the blown entrance in the hotel shot, it really distracts the eye.....

Last edited:
I feel dirty....i've just moved back to Fuji, XH-1

Looks like i'm going to be doing a lot of low light work so had to make the switch.

A lot of nonsense spouted about M4/3, i've cropped heavily with a lot of my images, small sensor or not the EM-1 ii is a stunning camera, won't miss the menus but will miss the form factor, the most comfortable camera i've ever owned and was fantastic on holiday, never once did I think "can't be bothered to lug that around".

Still got a ton of pics to process so will post the odd one in here.

Keep up the great work, some lovely images being produced by you guys.

I was at Symonds Yat on the River Wye yesterday hoping to get a look at if not manage to photograph the resident peregrine falcons. No peregrines but just as I was in the middle of changing lenses this came around a bend in the river. Just managed to refit the lens and fire of a few shots.

RAF Griffin 045 by Paul G, on Flickr

good grab shot Paul although noise is a problem,are you shooting in j.peg or RAW and if the latter have you got noise reduction software in p/p .I realise its a grab shot but 800 iso on a 300mm lens sounds a bit high .might be worth trying auto iso .

just done a re-edit for you with your permission I'll re-post and explain what I have done

Last edited:
I was at Symonds Yat on the River Wye yesterday hoping to get a look at if not manage to photograph the resident peregrine falcons. No peregrines but just as I was in the middle of changing lenses this came around a bend in the river. Just managed to refit the lens and fire of a few shots.

RAF Griffin 045 by Paul G, on Flickr
please read above

I feel dirty....i've just moved back to Fuji, XH-1

Looks like i'm going to be doing a lot of low light work so had to make the switch.

A lot of nonsense spouted about M4/3, i've cropped heavily with a lot of my images, small sensor or not the EM-1 ii is a stunning camera, won't miss the menus but will miss the form factor, the most comfortable camera i've ever owned and was fantastic on holiday, never once did I think "can't be bothered to lug that around".

Still got a ton of pics to process so will post the odd one in here.

Keep up the great work, some lovely images being produced by you guys.

Why feel bad? it's just gear, I've switched 3 times in as many years, from Nikon to Fuji to M43! :D

If your main reason was ISO performance though, you may end up a little disappointed, as there's nothing between them in that regard until you get to 6400: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/omd-em1-mark-ii-vs-fuji-xt2/#ISO-performance

That is the EM1 II compared to the XT2, same sensor as you get in the XH1.

If I was switching, the H1 would attract me, as I did enjoy shooting Fuji for about 2 years, it was lack of IBIS and a better budget lens selection drove me to M43.

right here you go ,I have posted via my flickr stream but its s private upload ,first off I dragged your pic into Lightroom and had to tone it down quite a lot as it was very overexposed ,,I mainly used the the auto settings with a few tweaks I thought it needed ,the noise was a problem so I took a fair bit out overall in L/R the helicopter itself was badly noisy , so had to be included .next imported to P/S where I subject layered the chopper ,cloned out the lamppost on right ,then applied a de/noise plug in to the trees , resized the image and applied selective sharpening to the chopper alone .although now darker than your image I think it works better

pauls chopper by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Why feel bad? it's just gear, I've switched 3 times in as many years, from Nikon to Fuji to M43! :D

If your main reason was ISO performance though, you may end up a little disappointed, as there's nothing between them in that regard until you get to 6400: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/fujifilm-vs-olympus/omd-em1-mark-ii-vs-fuji-xt2/#ISO-performance

That is the EM1 II compared to the XT2, same sensor as you get in the XH1.

If I was switching, the H1 would attract me, as I did enjoy shooting Fuji for about 2 years, it was lack of IBIS and a better budget lens selection drove me to M43.
Have you seen this ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOUV_1nEu40

It was also the fact my 12-40 2.8 struggled for focus in low light at times, I tried the 25 1.2 which was lovely but ultimately not a focal length I enjoy, 50mm equivalent just a bit too tight at times. I don't mind a bit of noise it adds to the character sometimes, in fact i've been adding grain to some images with DXO.

The tracking on the Mk 2 was fantastic and I know the Fuji won't get close but I won't really need it very often going forward.

Have you seen this ?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOUV_1nEu40

It was also the fact my 12-40 2.8 struggled for focus in low light at times, I tried the 25 1.2 which was lovely but ultimately not a focal length I enjoy, 50mm equivalent just a bit too tight at times. I don't mind a bit of noise it adds to the character sometimes, in fact i've been adding grain to some images with DXO.

The tracking on the Mk 2 was fantastic and I know the Fuji won't get close but I won't really need it very often going forward.

That just shows the difference IBIS makes, and nobody does IBIS better than Olympus. I say that as a Panasonic shooter. What I found when it comes to noise between my old XT1 [which is about a stop worse than the XT2, no more] and the G80 was that the noise was different, where it was kind of 'smudgey' on the XT1, it's more 'sandy' with the G80, more film like grain I would say. Both just as easy clean up. but I find M43 low light images maintain sharpness much better. This is partly down to the crop-factor, f/2.8 having comparable sharpness to f/3.5 or so on APSC

End of the day it's what you are most comfortable with. I would trade my G80 for the XH1 in a heartbeat, but that's because it's twice the money :D if I had the em1 mkII it would be a much tougher decision.

Last edited:
It was a very tough decision indeed, maybe it was depression after going out of the world cup that brought on a severe case of GAS :D

FYI i've just posted a couple of classifieds for a genuine BLH-1 battery and a genuine Oly leather messenger bag, cheers.

right here you go ,I have posted via my flickr stream but its s private upload ,first off I dragged your pic into Lightroom and had to tone it down quite a lot as it was very overexposed ,,I mainly used the the auto settings with a few tweaks I thought it needed ,the noise was a problem so I took a fair bit out overall in L/R the helicopter itself was badly noisy , so had to be included .next imported to P/S where I subject layered the chopper ,cloned out the lamppost on right ,then applied a de/noise plug in to the trees , resized the image and applied selective sharpening to the chopper alone .although now darker than your image I think it works better

pauls chopper by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Thanks for the help, I've never tried seperating out layers and treating them differently. The image I posted was fairly heavily cropped, which I suppose made the noise appear much worse. It's certainly lifted the image but unfortunately I think the .jpg I posted must have had a bit of a blue cast, which seems to have been accentuated in the helicopter, which should be a light grey colour. I guess this is due to you working from the.jpg and not the raw file.

Thanks for the help, I've never tried seperating out layers and treating them differently. The image I posted was fairly heavily cropped, which I suppose made the noise appear much worse. It's certainly lifted the image but unfortunately I think the .jpg I posted must have had a bit of a blue cast, which seems to have been accentuated in the helicopter, which should be a light grey colour. I guess this is due to you working from the.jpg and not the raw file.

I think he thought the copter was blue, you could have it grey just as easy ;)

Any advice on a decent spare battery for Oly EM10 II ? can only see sellers from Australia on ebay.

Not sure if it's the same battery for my EM5MK2 but I bought an Ex-Pro one and find the shot capacity way down compared to the original Olympus one.

Not compared the actual mah rating of them both as yet.

Not sure if it's the same battery for my EM5MK2 but I bought an Ex-Pro one and find the shot capacity way down compared to the original Olympus one.

Not compared the actual mah rating of them both as yet.
Model BLS 50 on the back of the battery, bit wary of buying a useless copy, that's why i asked for a bit advice. Appreciated thanks.

I got a Baxxtar one from Amazon - it’s red and around £14. Works perfectly

Last edited:
Just purchased the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro lens from Malcom Fisher from the classifieds, can’t wait to try it out.

Back