Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi guys,

Some of you may know me as a Canon fanboy but I am seriously considering swopping to an Olympus E-M1X + ED PRO lenses system. I am very happy with my Canon EOS system gear but the Olympus appears to have some valuable advantages for the type of photography I do.

I am obviously trawling through reviews on the hyperinterwebbynet but is there anyone here please who has moved from either a Canon 1DX-2 or EOS-R to the E-M1X and, if so, what are your pros and cons please?

Also, as Back Button Focus is an absolute must for me, is the Oly AEL/AFL button customisable for AF only please? Or is "AFL" Olympus-speak for Canon's AF-ON?

Yes you can back button focus on both the mkii and the e.mix but the shutter button is so accurate and sensitive that few peeps just use that.

It will take a week or so of wtf have I done before it falls into place ,the menu system is totally alien but it’s logical like moving from a p.c to a i.mac

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Some of you may know me as a Canon fanboy but I am seriously considering swopping to an Olympus E-M1X + ED PRO lenses system. I am very happy with my Canon EOS system gear but the Olympus appears to have some valuable advantages for the type of photography I do.

I am obviously trawling through reviews on the hyperinterwebbynet but is there anyone here please who has moved from either a Canon 1DX-2 or EOS-R to the E-M1X and, if so, what are your pros and cons please?

Also, as Back Button Focus is an absolute must for me, is the Oly AEL/AFL button customisable for AF only please? Or is "AFL" Olympus-speak for Canon's AF-ON?
Ollys can be set to BBF. I’ve not used a 1Dx-II but it’s pretty hard to beat in terms of AF so you might find the EM1x a smidge behind. Also like for like lenses the Olly won’t have quite as good IQ, there’s not much than will beat the Canon f4 super teles for example. Lastly ISO performance won’t match the Canon.

Where Olympus excels is offering excellent performance and IQ in a much lighter package, for example the 300mm f4 (600mm fov) is easily handholdable, not sure you’d say the same about a Canon 600mm f4.

Yes you can back button focus on both the mkii and the e.mix but the shutter button is so accurate and sensitive that few peeps just use that.

It will take a week or so of wtf have I done before it falls into place ,the menu system is totally alien but it’s logical like moving from a p.c to a i.mac

.... Thanks Jeff!

I'm glad you didn't say that the Oly Menu interface wasn't like moving from a Mac to a PC!! I was born in Macdom! :D

Ollys can be set to BBF. I’ve not used a 1Dx-II but it’s pretty hard to beat in terms of AF so you might find the EM1x a smidge behind. Also like for like lenses the Olly won’t have quite as good IQ, there’s not much than will beat the Canon f4 super teles for example. Lastly ISO performance won’t match the Canon.

Where Olympus excels is offering excellent performance and IQ in a much lighter package, for example the 300mm f4 (600mm fov) is easily handholdable, not sure you’d say the same about a Canon 600mm f4.

.... Many thanks for your helpful answer.

Oly AF might be a smidge behind but I reckon and hope I would simply get used to it as one does with different camera bodies even from the same manufacturer.

I'm not a professional like yourself and only tend to just image quality on what my naked eye sees. Yes, I expect I would miss my Canon EF 500mm F/4L II but not its weight. It's not so much its weight if it's the only lens I am carrying but if I add my EF 100-400mm to a walkabout it's a killer when the ground starts going uphill.

In theory at least, the E-M1X should offer me more opportunities to shoot with lower ISO values and anyway I know how to selectively apply noise reduction in post-processing when/if needed. I don't ever print my images (well, except for a personal Christmas or Birthday card to someone close).

I think I have to arrange a day with a E-M1X and see what results I get. I have handled one and find it very similar to my Canon EOS bodies physically. I don't enjoy cameras which are too small even if they are even lighter.

Last edited:
Had a chat with someone who spent a couple of days test driving the EM5III today, he was very impressed with it and didn't have a bad word to say.

Oly AF might be a smidge behind but I reckon and hope I would simply get used to it as one does with different camera bodies even from the same manufacturer.

I'm not a professional like yourself and only tend to just image quality on what my naked eye sees. Yes, I expect I would miss my Canon EF 500mm F/4L II but not its weight. It's not so much its weight if it's the only lens I am carrying but if I add my EF 100-400mm to a walkabout it's a killer when the ground starts going uphill.

In theory at least, the E-M1X should offer me more opportunities to shoot with lower ISO values and anyway I know how to selectively apply noise reduction in post-processing when/if needed. I don't ever print my images (well, except for a personal Christmas or Birthday card to someone close).

I think I have to arrange a day with a E-M1X and see what results I get. I have handled one and find it very similar to my Canon EOS bodies physically. I don't enjoy cameras which are too small even if they are even lighter.

https://wow.olympus.eu/

Don't know if it'll have exactly what you want to try in it, not sure how extensive the offered range is, but supposedly a very good way to try it out.

This sums it up,I moved from 1DX MKII 600F4 MKII and more to EM1X 300f4pro and a few other lenses and am very happy with the setup it's very close to the sharpness as is the AF, frames per second leaves the Canon behind as does the Silent shutter and pro capture too, battery life is great, IQ does lag a little but as long as you don't need to crop much it's very good for such a small sensor .
I also own the A7RIV 200/600 it too is a very nice mirror less setup but your back to a bit bigger lens .
It will always be a compromise but if the subject is great a little loss in IQ or not quite pin sharp will still win over a pin sharp top IQ Pidion :)
Rob.

Haha, I’m no pro, I wish ;)

The Olympus system is great, both in terms of IQ and function, the reason for my previous post is that you need to keep expectations in check. I use the Olympus EM1-II for motorsport and wildlife nowadays and have been mighty impressed, comparable to my Nikon FF in many scenarios. I’ve never had the pleasure of owning an f4 tele though.

.... Thanks Jeff!

I'm glad you didn't say that the Oly Menu interface wasn't like moving from a Mac to a PC!! I was born in Macdom! :D
I’ve never had an issue with the Olympus menus tbh, no more complicated to any other imo. The only thing is you have to get used to it, just as you would moving to any new system. Once setup the ollys are great to use.

https://wow.olympus.eu/

Don't know if it'll have exactly what you want to try in it, not sure how extensive the offered range is, but supposedly a very good way to try it out.

.... Thanks, that's helpful :)

However, having checked out the info on the link, it's only for 24hrs (I haven't checked if the E-M1X is on the list of choices) which would be okay if I was already very familiar with the Oly system but I'm not and so it wouldn't be enough time.

I do have the option of openly 'buy-try-return' for 30 days with my usual retailer who knows and trusts me and I think that would enable me to make the best decision for my photographic needs.

The Olympus system is great, both in terms of IQ and function, the reason for my previous post is that you need to keep expectations in check. I use the Olympus EM1-II for motorsport and wildlife nowadays and have been mighty impressed, comparable to my Nikon FF in many scenarios. I’ve never had the pleasure of owning an f4 tele though.

.... Never a truer word was said than "you need to keep expectations in check"! There is no such thing as THE perfect camera or THE perfect lens! :D Don't we all know!!

This sums it up,I moved from 1DX MKII 600F4 MKII and more to EM1X 300f4pro and a few other lenses and am very happy with the setup it's very close to the sharpness as is the AF, frames per second leaves the Canon behind as does the Silent shutter and pro capture too, battery life is great, IQ does lag a little but as long as you don't need to crop much it's very good for such a small sensor .
I also own the A7RIV 200/600 it too is a very nice mirror less setup but your back to a bit bigger lens .
It will always be a compromise but if the subject is great a little loss in IQ or not quite pin sharp will still win over a pin sharp top IQ Pidion :)
Rob.
How does your Olympus set up compare to the Sony in overall performance?

Rob.

.... Thanks Rob - I would be moving from a 1DX-2 + 500F4 II and so virtually the same as yourself and I would want the E-M1X + 300F4PRO as you have. I would also want the 40-150F2.8PRO (and 60mm Macro).

With wildlife there is nearly always a need to crop but it varies by how much of course. Sensor performance is the area which could be a deal breaker but I am only interested in judging it with my naked eye on my typical wildlife subjects (from wild bears to dragonflies).

Do you have either of the Oly Extenders and, if so, how do you find using them in the real-world please? The Canon version IIIs are good.

Last edited:
.... Thanks Rob - I would be moving from a 1DX-2 + 500F4 II and so virtually the same as yourself and I would want the E-M1X + 300F4PRO as you have. I would also want the 40-150F2.8PRO (and 60mm Macro).

With wildlife there is nearly always a need to crop but it varies by how much of course. Sensor performance is the area which could be a deal breaker but I am only interested in judging it with my naked eye on my typical wildlife subjects (from wild bears to dragonflies).

Do you have either of the Oly Extenders and, if so, how do you find using them in the real-world please? The Canon version IIIs are good.
The 1.4x is excellent, and the samples I’ve seen from the 2x are really good. You’d need good light though, f8 with fast shutter means ISO will soon ramp up obviously.

a couple from this morning 50-200SWD lens and large crops .. happy enough with the results.

and the full size next frame judge for yourself SOC apart from basic l/room tweaks
full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Very nice tonal range captured and preserved in your two cropped and post-processed images, Jeff. White birds are always tricky to expose. It looks like you have done a little bit more noise reduction on the bird than I would have done but that's just personal taste/preference.

The full size to show the extent of crop is very helpful and as much as I ideally would do and probably only if it was what I call a 'subject in habitat shot'.

Does your Oly have the same sensor as the E-M1X?

How does your Olympus set up compare to the Sony in overall performance?
It's very close both have merit's focus is just a bit better on the arIV and of cause lots to crop with for birding -for kids running round the garden it was a wow how it grabs the head/ eye, noise is a tad better too but the em1x 18fps caf and pro capture pulls a bit back
so even when it misses AF you can end up with about the same amount in focus as the ar7IV at the moment the a7rIV just wins for me but that is because of the 200/600 but once the 150 /400 with built in tc lens comes out that might take the lead .
Rob.

.... Very nice tonal range captured and preserved in your two cropped and post-processed images, Jeff. White birds are always tricky to expose. It looks like you have done a little bit more noise reduction on the bird than I would have done but that's just personal taste/preference.

The full size to show the extent of crop is very helpful and as much as I ideally would do and probably only if it was what I call a 'subject in habitat shot'.

Does your Oly have the same sensor as the E-M1X?
First off I think the sensors are similar but not exactly the same . But the fimware update on the mkii brings them fairly close .
Next there is very little noise reduction on the birds . But again neither shot is one I would normally use being to distant .. as you say white birds are the hardest to get right even more so in mottled light at a distance

I have both TCs the 1.4 has very little impact on speed or IQ the 2x not quite so good but good enough, both are on par with the mkIII canons I had them too Robin for my 600 f4 mkII
I think for Birding how you set the camera up for how you shoot has a big impact as much as the differences between brands as we all have different reaction times AF Points 1 -5 -50 -400 -sensitivity locked on +1 +2 -1 -2 then on top of that SS -A -ISO -EC if you don't shoot fully manual and it goes on color of the bird does it blend in with the BG how big is it in the frame =how fast is it flying -what angle to the camera, nearly every shot we take we wish we had set one of them differently well i do :)
Rob.

Olympus have posted a video with Andy Rouse using the EM1X

.... Thanks Chipper - I'll watch it.

I was with Andy on Saturday and that's how my interest in the Olympus has been sparked - I handled his but didn't shoot with it. I know other pros such as Tesni Ward who also now use Olympus and she gets brilliant wildlife results.

Andy obviously likes the E-M1X very much but he was not trying to sell the brand - Like me, he is not shy about saying what he thinks and about expressing his enthusiasm.

Last edited:
One from a wander around the Quayside first thing on Saturday morning.

EM1 mk II + Oly 12-40mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

.... Simon, that is stunning. Fabulous lighting and detail captured.

Didn't you shoot with a Canon EOS-R once upon a time? < If so, I would of course be interested in your thoughts as I am seriously considering moving from Canon EOS to Olympus E-M1X.

.... Thanks Chipper - I'll watch it.

I was with Andy on Saturday and that's how my interest in the Olympus has been sparked - I handled his but didn't shoot with it. I know other pros such as Tesni Ward who also now use Olympus and she gets brilliant wildlife results.

Andy obviously likes the E-M1X very much but he was not trying to sell the brand - Like me, he is not shy about saying what he thinks and about expressing his enthusiasm.
Well, I guess he has only got Fuji left now having gone from Nikon to Canon before this.

.... Simon, that is stunning. Fabulous lighting and detail captured.

Didn't you shoot with a Canon EOS-R once upon a time? < If so, I would of course be interested in your thoughts as I am seriously considering moving from Canon EOS to Olympus E-M1X.

Thanks Robin :). I actually moved from m4/3 to the EOS-R, and have then moved back again. Every camera system is a compromise, and for me I just find the m4/3 system to be the perfect compromise FOR ME. The EOS-R had better IQ especially at higher ISO (you can't cheat physics), but carrying it and a few lenses all day was a total pain. I can only afford to run a single camera system, so it has to be able to do everything from family days out to landscape to motorsport. The EM1 mk II can do all of those extremely well without being the absolute best at any of them. It's also small and light enough to carry pretty much anywhere, and is very discrete especially wandering around Newcastle in the dark on a Saturday morning!

I haven't used the EM1 X, but it seems to be very well thought of by those who have used it. Being honest, I doubt it will better a 1D X mk II and a Canon 500mm f4 in terms of performance, IQ and AI Servo for moving subjects, but it will do an excellent job nonetheless.

Cheers,

Simon.

Here's another from Saturday morning taken around 30 minutes after the photograph of The Baltic from the Tyne Bridge. I've shot from here before, and just love the juxtaposition between the ultra modern Sage and older Victorian buildings.

The Sage by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Again taken with the EM1 mk II and 12-40mm f2.8, but this time with a 0.6 SE ND Grad to hold the sky back a little.

If anyone is after a new messenger style bag, then I can recommend the Mindshift Exposure 13. Superbly built, and easily swallowed my EM1 mk II, 12-40mm, 12mm f2, 25mm f1.8, 45mm f1.8 and a full set of 67mm filters.

Cheers,

Simon.

Well, I guess he has only got Fuji left now having gone from Nikon to Canon before this.

.... Not really - He could go back to either Canon or Nikon. I moved from Nikon to Canon when the EOS system got established.

The OMD MKII is a great camera now it has the new firmware (i have one ) but the EM1X has 2 trupic processors to run things hence everything is a little faster .
This is why the 1D series run so quick as they have 2 as well.
Rob.

.... Not really - He could go back to either Canon or Nikon. I moved from Nikon to Canon when the EOS system got established.
I think over the years I have also been through the lot with digital , I won’t drag film into but the same applies , I started digital with pocket model ricohs, then Fuji bridge cameras, then moved on to Sony bridge, a 8mp f828 , then getting into birding various Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses , moving to canon after a couple of major camera failures , through there entire range from a 40d through to 1Dmkiv also dabbled with there M series mirrorless ,then to Panasonic which never quiet made it for wildlife , then back to Nikon both crop and full frame , and now on Olympus due to health issues and to be honest and I think I qualify for being experienced over the years ,this Olympus system knocks the b*****ks out of anything I have used before

Thanks Robin :). I actually moved from m4/3 to the EOS-R, and have then moved back again. Every camera system is a compromise, and for me I just find the m4/3 system to be the perfect compromise FOR ME. The EOS-R had better IQ especially at higher ISO (you can't cheat physics), but carrying it and a few lenses all day was a total pain. I can only afford to run a single camera system, so it has to be able to do everything from family days out to landscape to motorsport. The EM1 mk II can do all of those extremely well without being the absolute best at any of them. It's also small and light enough to carry pretty much anywhere, and is very discrete especially wandering around Newcastle in the dark on a Saturday morning!

I haven't used the EM1 X, but it seems to be very well thought of by those who have used it. Being honest, I doubt it will better a 1D X mk II and a Canon 500mm f4 in terms of performance, IQ and AI Servo for moving subjects, but it will do an excellent job nonetheless.

Cheers,

Simon.

.... It won't deliver some things that the 1DX-2 does but then the 1DX-2 doesn't offer some things which the mirrorless EOS-R does and I wish it did.

The Canon 500mm F/4 has smoother bokeh but I am not addicted to bokeh as much as some photographers. Positioning and aperture values can help if/when some bokeh is desired - Every shot has different circumstances and it is up to the photographer to work with circumstances to try to achieve his/her vision.

Noise can be helped by more consciously shooting with the histogram to the right and moving it left in post-processing. Seeing the histogram in the viewfinder is a major advantage in any camera body. The mirrorless version of a future Canon 1DX will doubtless include it but that body will cost megabucks and probably won't be until late 2020 at the earliest. The Olympus would seem to be more economically future proof for me and physically easier as I get older [I'm 72yo].

Agreed 100% about every camera system being a compromise! Even a flagship 1DX-2 + 500mm F/4L has compromises!

So far, none of the Olympus compromises are putting me off trying it out for a few days. There is a lot about mirrorless which I know I like from my direct EOS-R (and EOS-M5) experience.

.... It won't deliver some things that the 1DX-2 does but then the 1DX-2 doesn't offer some things which the mirrorless EOS-R does and I wish it did.

The Canon 500mm F/4 has smoother bokeh but I am not addicted to bokeh as much as some photographers. Positioning and aperture values can help if/when some bokeh is desired - Every shot has different circumstances and it is up to the photographer to work with circumstances to try to achieve his/her vision.

Noise can be helped by more consciously shooting with the histogram to the right and moving it left in post-processing. Seeing the histogram in the viewfinder is a major advantage in any camera body. The mirrorless version of a future Canon 1DX will doubtless include it but that body will cost megabucks and probably won't be until late 2020 at the earliest. The Olympus would seem to be more economically future proof for me and physically easier as I get older [I'm 72yo].

Agreed 100% about every camera system being a compromise! Even a flagship 1DX-2 + 500mm F/4L has compromises!

So far, none of the Olympus compromises are putting me off trying it out for a few days. There is a lot about mirrorless which I know I like from my direct EOS-R (and EOS-M5) experience.

I have the EVF of my EM1 mk II setup to show the histogram and real time clipping warnings for shadows and highlights. It makes nailing exposure and absolute doddle :)

I’m not sure ETTR is an advantage these days tbh. YMMV

Maybe - I heard from someone in the retail trade that Canon 'let him go' - he did give me a reason but it doesn't seem appropriate to repeat that.

.... Just by you saying "it doesn't seem appropriate to repeat that" implies that Canon were unhappy about him representing them due to some unspecified misdemeanour or malpractice. This is how stories which may be untrue are so easily spread. Unless you can back up your statement of hearsay as being more reliable than "someone in the retail trade" it may have been more appropriate for you not to have commented. I am inclined to ask him what the truth of the matter is from his perspective. He is certainly not anti Canon's products and has a healthy attitude about cameras just being tools irrespective of brand.

I’m not sure ETTR is an advantage these days tbh. YMMV

.... What does "YMMV" stand for please?

As noise is always more visible in the darker more under-exposed areas of an image, isn't leaning towards ETTR an effective way of reducing noise? Of course, noise is the result of a number of other factors too and it all depends on each individual image and more importantly, what you the photographer want to achieve.

Back