Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My long term plan was always to go for the EM1 MK2 but this has put a spanner in the works.

EM5 MK3 with a grip may be the way to go maybe?
Tough call. I love the ergonomics of the EM1-II, not sure if the EM5-III with grip will match that.

My long term plan was always to go for the EM1 MK2 but this has put a spanner in the works.

EM5 MK3 with a grip may be the way to go maybe?
Really depends what you want to take with it , at the end of the day I do purely wildlife which at times can be fast moving . The updated firmware on the 1.mkii made that a viable proposition . If you only intend to take scenery and slow moving stuff then the new one may suit .But with initial prices virtually the same it’s really a no brainer

Really depends what you want to take with it , at the end of the day I do purely wildlife which at times can be fast moving . The updated firmware on the 1.mkii made that a viable proposition . If you only intend to take scenery and slow moving stuff then the new one may suit .But with initial prices virtually the same it’s really a no brainer

If the E-M1MK2 and the new E-M5.3 are that close on price......will that for whatever reason erode the E-M1MK2 sales???

Or is there a another boost(?) mini game changer firmware update due for the 1mk2 to make a bit of 'clear water' from the newcomer???

If the E-M1MK2 and the new E-M5.3 are that close on price......will that for whatever reason erode the E-M1MK2 sales???

Or is there a another boost(?) mini game changer firmware update due for the 1mk2 to make a bit of 'clear water' from the newcomer???
Olympus don't tend to cripple their cameras, they just offer what they've got available at the time. IIRC the EM5-II wasn't far off the EM1, and in some areas better.

Olympus don't tend to cripple their cameras, they just offer what they've got available at the time. IIRC the EM5-II wasn't far off the EM1, and in some areas better.

I was not suggesting that they 'cripple' them......actually fw v3 was a game changer IMO, it was more by way of wondering if there might be more to come???

back to real matters just had a play with the newly arrived ec-14 tc on the 50-200 and quiet disappointed with the results . I do think that I need to up the shutter speed , a longer heavier rig needs that imho also I think it will need stopping down more ,lights gone crap now so will play again tomorrow so nothing to show from today .
was hoping to use this set up to get rid of the need for the PL100-400 but it needs more fine tuning to do that

Last edited:
I was not suggesting that they 'cripple' them......actually fw v3 was a game changer IMO, it was more by way of wondering if there might be more to come???
Sorry, wasn’t suggesting you were saying that (y)

Wouldn’t surprise me if they come up with something but I’m not sure what as to get the extra functionality of the EM1x you need the 2nd processor.

When they make the mark iii I’m not sure what else Olympus can throw at the EM1 that’d make it more appealing to me. A higher res viewfinder and handheld hi res would be nice, but I’m not sure I’d upgrade on those alone. I don’t need any faster frame rate, and AF is good enough.

Last edited:

Wouldn’t surprise me if they come up with something but I’m not sure what as to get the extra functionality of the EM1x you need the 2nd processor.

When they make the mark iii I’m not sure what else Olympus can throw at the EM1 that’d make it more appealing to me. A higher res viewfinder and handheld hi res would be nice, but I’m not sure I’d upgrade on those alone. I don’t need any faster frame rate, and AF is good enough.

I think, if the current 20mp sensor is the peak for M43, then most upgrades would be video-centric. Unless they can improve on the IBIS system, which I believe is about the best on the market already! so that hand-held high res modes can be more effective. Any way that they can clean up ISO performance would also be a good thing. Add a decent joystick maybe and bump the res of the evf and LCD. What all this means I guess is that it's already a great camera - when we're searching for improvements.

I would like to have a second body to avoid the need to swap lenses (should/when I can justify the expense?) and if both the 1.2 and 5.3 are that close IMO it would be hard to justify the 5.3 ........unless it's feature set had something over the 1.2 ???

I would like to have a second body to avoid the need to swap lenses (should/when I can justify the expense?) and if both the 1.2 and 5.3 are that close IMO it would be hard to justify the 5.3 ........unless it's feature set had something over the 1.2 ???
I’m sure I did read something the EM5-III had over the EM1-II but I’ve forgotten what :LOL:

Ahh I remember, it’s got an OLED viewfinder.

I have my EVF set to live at all times , what difference would a OLED make ?

I have my EVF set to live at all times , what difference would a OLED make ?
What do you mean set to live? OLED will just give a better image with more contrast and colours.

Ah! nice to see OLED going into usages where it, potentially, has real benefit. As I understand it, they are faster responding with greater clarity.
Would be nice if the EM1-III got a 3.2m OLED EVF that was larger too.

What do you mean set to live? OLED will just give a better image with more contrast and colours.
I wasn’t sure of the difference it would make tbh . Set to live means I have set my EVF to on all the time there is no blackout between shots so I can track b.i.f easily

I wasn’t sure of the difference it would make tbh . Set to live means I have set my EVF to on all the time there is no blackout between shots so I can track b.i.f easily
Didn't even know there was that option, where do you find that? Is that the setting where it's more like an OVF and doesn't show real time exposure changes?

HDEW have the E-M1 MKII for £899 at the moment. If only I dare [emoji48]
Dunno if it's worth waiting to see if they have a managers special as I bought mine back in Feb under the managers special and got it for £898.99, which IIRC was just under £100 off the normal price at the time.

Dunno if it's worth waiting to see if they have a managers special as I bought mine back in Feb under the managers special and got it for £898.99, which IIRC was just under £100 off the normal price at the time.

Probably as good as it gets. I paid £959 from them for the one I have now.
Got the first one I bought for £899, again from them.

Didn't even know there was that option, where do you find that? Is that the setting where it's more like an OVF and doesn't show real time exposure changes?
PM SENT

I'd have to sell my D750 to fund it and the offer ends tonight so I don't have time. Decision made for me.

Their so-called 'Manager's sale' never seems to end and prices are rarely different to their norm. Their site is a mess really but they do have good prices on Oly and Canon ... they used to do Pany too and at one time even Nikon

Hey Jeff. Would you mind sharing. I’d like to know the answer as well.
you want cog wheel
EVF auto switch off
S-OVF. off

I,m pretty certain that's all you have to change , I then set my time to keep on to 5 minutes . it now makes it act like a OVF as you surmised and tracking b.i.f becomes a doddle as you don't lose the view at each shutter depression .
allegedly you lose a bit of battery life with it on but I use it all day long and never yet had my battery go below 50% and in all honesty its a game changer ,if I hadn't have found it I would probably have gone back to a DSLR by now

you want cog wheel
EVF auto switch off
S-OVF. off

I,m pretty certain that's all you have to change , I then set my time to keep on to 5 minutes . it now makes it act like a OVF as you surmised and tracking b.i.f becomes a doddle as you don't lose the view at each shutter depression .
allegedly you lose a bit of battery life with it on but I use it all day long and never yet had my battery go below 50% and in all honesty its a game changer ,if I hadn't have found it I would probably have gone back to a DSLR by now
That doesn't affect blackout, they're the factory settings. What frame rate are you using, I think at 60fps you'd get no perceivable blackout.

I tend to keep shutter speeds between 10fps and 13 fps .. or is frame rate different .. anyway thats how mine is set and it works for me .....still on that learning curve though so happy to absorb more info

I tend to keep shutter speeds between 10fps and 13 fps .. or is frame rate different .. anyway thats how mine is set and it works for me .....still on that learning curve though so happy to absorb more info
10fps and 13fps is frame rate not shutter speed. The higher the frame rate the less blackout you'll tend to see and the time between the shutter being closed is less.

Reading around it does appear that if you use eh high frame rates with the electronic shutter you don't get blackout. I'll have to try this myself, although I'd still worry about the rolling shutter effect.

When the global shutter is finally here that really will be a game changer. I can't decide who will be the first, Olympus, Panasonic or Sony.

Its a while since i used mine but i think the EVF refresh rate is better at 120 then you can set the drive mode lower without blackout between frames, as i say its been a while.

The rest of my starter settings for BIF

auto iso up to 6400
shutter priority with exposure compensation on the front dial, this means shooting wide open
ibis off although selecting the lens is should switch the body off i do that as if i want the is off and do it on the lens the body is would turn on
9 box center focusing selection most of the time
C-AF
spot metering
continues L
af scanner 3
C-AF sensitivity +2
C-AF center start (but not on my small birds in flight against a clear sky as i want it to start on any point) for this i use all focus points
C-AF center priority
spot metering to stay with the focus point
evf auto luminance on
s-ovfoff
quick sleep mode off

Last edited:
Back