Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I previously found that the image I got from RAW with no changes looked poor and posted here about my struggles on getting my head around it.
However it really was just a matter that Olympus RAW files need to be treated differently to Canon/Nikon/Fujifilm files (required higher amounts of adjustments) but that's just because the Olympus are processing the data in camera differently to what I was used too. (As there is some image processing going on still even if it is RAW)

I would recommend when you test the camera to process the RAW files in a variety of programs to see which output you like best. I have found to be most happy with Capture one due to the fact they set a lot of the values/sliders to the correct amount because they have performed extensive testing with the Olympus kit already.
This saves me loads of time, however you could come up with your own solution in LR, On1 or Oly Workspace by experimenting & saving as a preset.

Now I am much happier with the results, but can see others who get better images still so clearly there is more I can do.

.... Jono! You are a star! This is the second time you have posted something which is music to my ears!

I only shoot RAW and I convert in Capture One, do some local adjustments and then do a round trip to a TIFF in Photoshop CS6 and third-party plug-ins such as ON1 Filters, back to Capture One and export as JPEG.

Every image file I shoot is different and so preset conversions and adjustments don't work for me. I was literally about to ask if I can use Oly Workspace ONLY for previewing and culling and sending selected images to my folders structure in Capture One. I still want to do my RAW conversions in Capture One (I think!) and not in Workspace, or is Workspace as good at the RAW conversions?

At the moment I use FastRawViewer (FRV) for previewing and culling before sending to Capture One for RAW conversion etc but FRV is a bit clunky and very very complicated to understand its Preferences unless you are a programmer < I'm a Mac user and so prefer it simple and sexier looking. I am hoping that Workspace might take over from FRV in my workflow.

.... That third image further proves that mounting a 2x on the 40-150mm gives totally unacceptable results - I think it is shockingly poor.

I'll find out when my Olympus gear arrives but I'm hoping I find that ED 40-150mm + 1.4x results are acceptable. It would be replacing my Canon EF 100-400mm L II and so without the MC-14 the equivalent is 80-300mm and with the MC-14 its equivalent is 112-420mm < Both zoom ranges being acceptable to me when compared with the Canon.

I know from Jeff that there are other alternative lenses such as Panasonic but I always prefer to stay with original brand lenses and the PRO spec is also important to me to match the weatherproofing of the M1X. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and, for me and my photography, not having that weatherproofing standard throughout compromises having a M1X.

I know the ED Macro lens is not PRO spec but it is less critical on a macro lens due to different shooting conditions - Insects simply aren't available for portraits when it rains etc.
Robin, have a look on David Tiplings website at what is achievable in wildlife with the Oly system.
He uses both the EM1X and the EM1 mkii with pro lenses and both extenders with very good results. He also raves about Capture One. His blog actually directly reports his various tests inc photographs of some of the results.
Well with a look and he switched completely from Nikon and vows he wouldn’t go back now after some time with Olympus gear.

I previously found that the image I got from RAW with no changes looked poor and posted here about my struggles on getting my head around it.
However it really was just a matter that Olympus RAW files need to be treated differently to Canon/Nikon/Fujifilm files (required higher amounts of adjustments) but that's just because the Olympus are processing the data in camera differently to what I was used too. (As there is some image processing going on still even if it is RAW)

I would recommend when you test the camera to process the RAW files in a variety of programs to see which output you like best. I have found to be most happy with Capture one due to the fact they set a lot of the values/sliders to the correct amount because they have performed extensive testing with the Olympus kit already.
This saves me loads of time, however you could come up with your own solution in LR, On1 or Oly Workspace by experimenting & saving as a preset.

Now I am much happier with the results, but can see others who get better images still so clearly there is more I can do.
I've found exactly the same as you, and posted here too, that Olly files need much more extreme processing. My Nikon files have the camera profile set to standard in Lightroom, have a touch of sharpening added and maybe a touch of dehire and that's about it. With the Olly I have the tone curve set to give quite extreme contrast, and have other sliders at fairly high values. The only one that doesn't need too much is that sharpening, especially when using the 12-40mm.

It took me ages playing about with settings to find something that I was 'happy' with, but it was worth the effort. I'm sure if I knew how to use photoshop I could give my images some more sparkle, but I haven't the time nor the inclination to learn it at this present time ;)

.... Jono! You are a star! This is the second time you have posted something which is music to my ears!

I only shoot RAW and I convert in Capture One, do some local adjustments and then do a round trip to a TIFF in Photoshop CS6 and third-party plug-ins such as ON1 Filters, back to Capture One and export as JPEG.

Every image file I shoot is different and so preset conversions and adjustments don't work for me. I was literally about to ask if I can use Oly Workspace ONLY for previewing and culling and sending selected images to my folders structure in Capture One. I still want to do my RAW conversions in Capture One (I think!) and not in Workspace, or is Workspace as good at the RAW conversions?

At the moment I use FastRawViewer (FRV) for previewing and culling before sending to Capture One for RAW conversion etc but FRV is a bit clunky and very very complicated to understand its Preferences unless you are a programmer < I'm a Mac user and so prefer it simple and sexier looking. I am hoping that Workspace might take over from FRV in my workflow.
Unfortunately Olympus Workspace is not the fastest in general (RAW processing using the camera built in processor via USb is fast) however it can be used to organise & cull effectively. I did find a bug the other day with setting a colour category/label against images which was easy to workaround but was initially annoying. As free software it's not to be complained about as it's clearly had a lot of time spent on it, I hope Olympus smooth out it's performance in the future.

It does work better on the 300f4 I rarely use the 2x but like to have it ,I think if say you were in a hide on a king fisher and low iso at f11 it would give very good IQ on the 300 pro.
and on this lens you get 7 stop is I think its 5 on 40/150 .
It all gets so involved lol
Rob.

.... Thanks Rob! In a hide I nearly always use my Jobu Jr-3 Deluxe small gimbal (which supports the big Canon 500mm + 1DX-2 easily) mounted on a Skimmer (looks like a frisbee) which I can easily move along the hide shelf and I avoid handholding in hides as I am more often just waiting for a target to appear and it is physically easier.

With targets like wild Bears and hyper alert Eagles etc, (safe!) hide windows only have a circular lens hole in the fabric covering the whole window. Sessions of 7hrs in a hide and even 14hrs for 5 consecutive daylit nights in Finland are not comfortable for handheld shots and many will be missed and be ridiculously skewed.

So what I'm saying is that because of being tripod mounted, any image stabilisation becomes unimportant.

In fact, can you switch off IBIS on a M1X to save battery juice when driving the IBIS mechanisms? It makes a battery consumption difference on my mirrorless EOS-R to switch off Canon lens IS.

.... Thanks Rob! In a hide I nearly always use my Jobu Jr-3 Deluxe small gimbal (which supports the big Canon 500mm + 1DX-2 easily) mounted on a Skimmer (looks like a frisbee) which I can easily move along the hide shelf and I avoid handholding in hides as I am more often just waiting for a target to appear and it is physically easier.

With targets like wild Bears and hyper alert Eagles etc, (safe!) hide windows only have a circular lens hole in the fabric covering the whole window. Sessions of 7hrs in a hide and even 14hrs for 5 consecutive daylit nights in Finland are not comfortable for handheld shots and many will be missed and be ridiculously skewed.

So what I'm saying is that because of being tripod mounted, any image stabilisation becomes unimportant.

In fact, can you switch off IBIS on a M1X to save battery juice when driving the IBIS mechanisms? It makes a battery consumption difference on my mirrorless EOS-R to switch off Canon lens IS.
IBIS can be turned off, and there's various settings as well for panning such as vertical IBIS and horizontal IBIS.

Unfortunately Olympus Workspace is not the fastest in general (RAW processing using the camera built in processor via USb is fast) however it can be used to organise & cull effectively. I did find a bug the other day with setting a colour category/label against images which was easy to workaround but was initially annoying. As free software it's not to be complained about as it's clearly had a lot of time spent on it, I hope Olympus smooth out it's performance in the future.

.... Good to know. So I can just use Workspace to preview and cull before sending selections to Capture One.

When you say RAW processing using the camera built-in processor via USB I don't quite understand. I just want to be able to upload my shot RAW images onto my desktop Mac, preview and cull, then send only my selected images to Capture One for RAW conversion and editing adjustments etc. All at my leisure.

I have never done any RAW editing onboard a camera after shooting. The most file control I do is to select the WB and Picture Style before actually shooting. Or have I misunderstood?

.... Good to know. So I can just use Workspace to preview and cull before sending selections to Capture One.

When you say RAW processing using the camera built-in processor via USB I don't quite understand. I just want to be able to upload my shot RAW images onto my desktop Mac, preview and cull, then send only my selected images to Capture One for RAW conversion and editing adjustments etc. All at my leisure.

I have never done any RAW editing onboard a camera after shooting. The most file control I do is to select the WB and Picture Style before actually shooting. Or have I misunderstood?
Yes will work fine for you for preview and cull. If you find it snappy enough or not is a matter of opinion.

Sounds like you don't need it, but it has the ability to use the processor in the camera when editing the picture in the computer to offload the image processing which make it very quick. The reality is it's no quicker than Capture One however for free software it's a juicy feature to have.

Olympus allows you to do a form of processing in camera but it's pretty rudimental imo. Nikon's is much better in this regard but it's still a far cry from processing on the computer. I just offload all raw files onto the computer and import to Lightroom and cull from there. A quick press of the 'x' button marks the photo as rejected and then when you've gone through them all just go up to photo in the menu and select delete all rejected photos, job done (y)

Olympus allows you to do a form of processing in camera but it's pretty rudimental imo. Nikon's is much better in this regard but it's still a far cry from processing on the computer. I just offload all raw files onto the computer and import to Lightroom and cull from there. A quick press of the 'x' button marks the photo as rejected and then when you've gone through them all just go up to photo in the menu and select delete all rejected photos, job done (y)

or hit command and backspace instead ;)

I’m with jono’s and Toby finding 100% the only difference is I have used Lightroom and p/shop from the word go and have found ,that once that final bit of sharpening is applied the pics just go pop on the screen .. there are many ways to do it and just find your niche and I’m sure it will fall into place

I just highlight all to be discarded then backspace then command

Oh yes, somewhere in the thread he mentions it weighing in at 14Kg !

.... My usual aircraft trips include a Rimowa case weighing 22kilos for the hold and a Lowepro backpack weighing 10kilos for the cabin lockers. Such are the weights and sizes of D-SLR gear when shooting wildlife.

I'm not bothered by these weights when it comes to flying or even driving but I have a wish to reduce weight and sizes when in the field on foot - Hence my interest in the Olympus gear.

Last edited:
As I am sure every one of you here would do, or indeed have done, I have been reading and watching everything I can find on the hyperinterwebbynet about the Olympus M1X and Oly ED lenses while I wait to get my hands on one to actually set up and shoot < Expected Monday (from HDEW).

Last night I watched a video by Tony Northrup making a direct comparison between the ED 300mm [600mm equivalent] F/4 PRO and the Nikon D-SLR 600mm F/4 specifically for wildlife photography. Whereas he emphasised that he thinks that the Oly 300mm is absolutely the best for wildlife in the world of 4/3 sensors, he set out to illustrate how superior the IQ is on the D-SLR lenses on full-frame sensors. He's not wrong but it made me question heavily whether I am doing the right thing because I am a one-system-kinda-guy and will definitely not be keeping my Canon gear if I switch to Olympus. My photography and its amateur (meaning unpaid) applications do not merit running both systems in my individual case.

After watching that video my enthusiasm for the Olympus potential nosedived. BUT, I then remembered some of the outstandingly stunning Olympus images you folks have been kind enough to point me towards. And this morning I came across this album on Flickr which totally restored my faith and especially because I enjoy shooting dragonflies and other minibeasts - They are all shot on the ED 300mm PRO (many with the 1.4x) and other images by this photographer are on the ED 60mm Macro :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kahhihou/albums/72157688991149303

I am sure I will be continuing to ask everyone here for advice and tips etc for a while and I take this opportunity to say a big thankyou to you all - It is very much appreciated.

As I am sure every one of you here would do, or indeed have done, I have been reading and watching everything I can find on the hyperinterwebbynet about the Olympus M1X and Oly ED lenses while I wait to get my hands on one to actually set up and shoot < Expected Monday (from HDEW).

Last night I watched a video by Tony Northrup making a direct comparison between the ED 300mm [600mm equivalent] F/4 PRO and the Nikon D-SLR 600mm F/4 specifically for wildlife photography. Whereas he emphasised that he thinks that the Oly 300mm is absolutely the best for wildlife in the world of 4/3 sensors, he set out to illustrate how superior the IQ is on the D-SLR lenses on full-frame sensors. He's not wrong but it made me question heavily whether I am doing the right thing because I am a one-system-kinda-guy and will definitely not be keeping my Canon gear if I switch to Olympus. My photography and its amateur (meaning unpaid) applications do not merit running both systems in my individual case.

After watching that video my enthusiasm for the Olympus potential nosedived. BUT, I then remembered some of the outstandingly stunning Olympus images you folks have been kind enough to point me towards. And this morning I came across this album on Flickr which totally restored my faith and especially because I enjoy shooting dragonflies and other minibeasts - They are all shot on the ED 300mm PRO (many with the 1.4x) and other images by this photographer are on the ED 60mm Macro :

I am sure I will be continuing to ask everyone here for advice and tips etc for a while and I take this opportunity to say a big thankyou to you all - It is very much appreciated.
That video is a good one, puts across a point of view which he does try to be careful how he says it. Point is that it's an option that may fit you better or it may not. Clearly excellent results a possible.

The EM1x has a lot of pro features that a lot of people don't appreciate so it's coverage online is limited. My EM1 mkii has some things I miss from other cameras but never having to clean the sensor along with other things are gold dust for me, makes the camera a great tool.

Last edited:
Hi Robin @RedRobin

This is Petr Bambousek's site http://www.sulasula.com/en/home/ he used to use dSLR so worth checking what he has on the site, as unlike the Northrop's Petr is a real world user with a great portfolio and insight.

PS do also check out David Tipling, a Norfolk based wildlife photographer who switched to Olympus to good effect!

Last edited:
As I am sure every one of you here would do, or indeed have done, I have been reading and watching everything I can find

I compiled a list of M43 wildlife web sites a few months ago that may be useful, they may have already been suggested and they aren't just Olympus but also Panasonic, but all M43:

Scott Bourne. https://picturemethods.com
Petra Bambousek. http://www.sulasula.com/en/home/
Tesni Ward. http://www.tesniward.co.uk/
David Tipling. https://davidtipling.com/
Rob Cottle. https://www.robcottle.co.uk/index.html
Andrew McCarthy. http://www.andrewmccarthyphotography.com/
Joe de Jardin https://www.joedesjardins.ca/index
Dan Cox. https://naturalexposures.com
Andy Rouse. https://www.andyrouse.co.uk/
Jari Meltomaki https://jaripeltomaki.com/

And referring back to an earlier post, have you considered using Photo Mechanic with c1. It's a great tool (but pricey) for ingesting images from a card, as well as culling and captioning. I then use it to "copy" selected images into Capture One sessions, leaving my "master" raws untouched, and "duplicate" working raws in C1 sessions.

I catalogue master raws and working raws using Neofinder (and the new beta cataloguing tools of Photo Mechanic). I could give a blow by blow account of my workflow, but this is the basic framework

I compiled a list of M43 wildlife web sites a few months ago that may be useful, they may have already been suggested and they aren't just Olympus but also Panasonic, but all M43:

Scott Bourne. https://picturemethods.com
Petra Bambousek. http://www.sulasula.com/en/home/
Tesni Ward. http://www.tesniward.co.uk/
David Tipling. https://davidtipling.com/
Rob Cottle. https://www.robcottle.co.uk/index.html
Andrew McCarthy. http://www.andrewmccarthyphotography.com/
Joe de Jardin https://www.joedesjardins.ca/index
Dan Cox. https://naturalexposures.com
Andy Rouse. https://www.andyrouse.co.uk/
Jari Meltomaki https://jaripeltomaki.com/

And referring back to an earlier post, have you considered using Photo Mechanic with c1. It's a great tool (but pricey) for ingesting images from a card, as well as culling and captioning. I then use it to "copy" selected images into Capture One sessions, leaving my "master" raws untouched, and "duplicate" working raws in C1 sessions.

I catalogue master raws and working raws using Neofinder (and the new beta cataloguing tools of Photo Mechanic). I could give a blow by blow account of my workflow, but this is the basic framework
That's a great list, the only problem is that other than Petr's site there's no EXIF so you're not sure whether the shots are taken with Olympus gear or something else.

Yep it's definitely a concern tbh. It's like last year I took the EM1-II and 40-150mm f2.8 down to the London Marathon to compare to the D850 and 70-200mm f2.8 to see if I could ditch the Nikon gear, and whilst the shots from the Olympus were very nice, they didn't have that same 'wow factor' of the 70-200mm f2.8. I think a large part is the DOF giving the images more pop, but overall I just prefer the rendering of the Nikon. Here's the closest example that I have from that event.

P4281040-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9807-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I think you have to accept that all things considered equal, the FF system with fast aperture lenses will produce more pleasing images than m4/3, it's all about compromises. For wildlife the difference in lugging 3kg worth of camera and lens around (d850 and Tamron 150-600mm) compared to 1.4kg in camera and lens (EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm) is significant, and for me the very slight loss if any in IQ is so minimal between the two setups I had that I'm much happier with the Olympus setup in this area. As above though, the difference between the 40-150mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 is enough for me to put up with the extra weight of the Nikon.

That's a great list, the only problem is that other than Petr's site there's no EXIF so you're not sure whether the shots are taken with Olympus gear or something else.

True, but if you dig into them a bit (read the blogs when available) you can usually find out when they changed from Nikon/Canon, and work backwards.

But I would tend to just go with the overall quality of the images, they are all people (i think) who started with FF, and now, as far as I can make out now only use M43.

If you work backwards through their portfolios and remain impressed with their work, not knowing whether its m43 or FF, maybe that says more than seeing the exif.

I found it satisfying that the majority of them have had a long history of using FF and are all now very happy with M43, while still acknowledging in their blogs the advantages and disadvantages that each format has over the other one.

Olympus has an exclusivity contract with its "visionaries" meaning they can only use Olympus (as does Fuji), so that might give an idea of what cameras were used, even if the exif is missing. Panasonic is more relaxed about using cameras other than Panasonic.

Sorry but I no longer view any of mr Northrups stuff , he is just fishing for likes and views on his Facebook pages .. the old saying jack of all trades ,spring# to mind .

I do also see what Toby is saying BUT I have known you a long time robin and our main photographic interests are similar .i.e birds,animals , insects and steam trains .. I can’t envisage you going out and shooting a marathon or anything involving people ( unless she’s got big tits ) so I do think you have made the right choice . And at our age the last thing we need to be doing is lugging around heavy and large gear .. as I said to you last week I think you will soon come to realise that even a tripod and gimble isn’t needed as you can track most stuff hand held using single point focus

Sorry but I no longer view any of mr Northrups stuff , he is just fishing for likes and views on his Facebook pages .. the old saying jack of all trades ,spring# to mind .

I do also see what Toby is saying BUT I have known you a long time robin and our main photographic interests are similar .i.e birds,animals , insects and steam trains .. I can’t envisage you going out and shooting a marathon or anything involving people ( unless she’s got big tits ) so I do think you have made the right choice . And at our age the last thing we need to be doing is lugging around heavy and large gear .. as I said to you last week I think you will soon come to realise that even a tripod and gimble isn’t needed as you can track most stuff hand held using single point focus
Yeah I appreciate that Robin might not be shooting runners etc, but it was purely as an example that there's no substitute for the nice fast glass. As good as the Olympus 300mm f4 is it won't be in the same league as the 500mm and 600mm f4. Of course it's all a question of whether it's good enough (y)

Yep it's definitely a concern tbh. It's like last year I took the EM1-II and 40-150mm f2.8 down to the London Marathon to compare to the D850 and 70-200mm f2.8 to see if I could ditch the Nikon gear, and whilst the shots from the Olympus were very nice, they didn't have that same 'wow factor' of the 70-200mm f2.8. I think a large part is the DOF giving the images more pop, but overall I just prefer the rendering of the Nikon. Here's the closest example that I have from that event.

P4281040-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_9807-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

I think you have to accept that all things considered equal, the FF system with fast aperture lenses will produce more pleasing images than m4/3, it's all about compromises. For wildlife the difference in lugging 3kg worth of camera and lens around (d850 and Tamron 150-600mm) compared to 1.4kg in camera and lens (EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm) is significant, and for me the very slight loss if any in IQ is so minimal between the two setups I had that I'm much happier with the Olympus setup in this area. As above though, the difference between the 40-150mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 is enough for me to put up with the extra weight of the Nikon.

The Olympus shot has better clarity, and the girl smiling over your main subject's shoulder helps make the images. There can always be a case for more DOF rather than shallower. I get the separation thing but the difference is really only noticeable to other photographers usually.

The Olympus shot has better clarity, and the girl smiling over your main subject's shoulder helps make the images. There can always be a case for more DOF rather than shallower. I get the separation thing but the difference is really only noticeable to other photographers usually.
I guess it comes down to preference, the rendering of the 70-200mm is far nicer imo. To my eyes there's more depth somehow and is just more pleasing to my eyes. YMMV.

very nice Malcolm

True, but if you dig into them a bit (read the blogs when available) you can usually find out when they changed from Nikon/Canon, and work backwards.

But I would tend to just go with the overall quality of the images, they are all people (i think) who started with FF, and now, as far as I can make out now only use M43.

If you work backwards through their portfolios and remain impressed with their work, not knowing whether its m43 or FF, maybe that says more than seeing the exif.

I found it satisfying that the majority of them have had a long history of using FF and are all now very happy with M43, while still acknowledging in their blogs the advantages and disadvantages that each format has over the other one.

Olympus has an exclusivity contract with its "visionaries" meaning they can only use Olympus (as does Fuji), so that might give an idea of what cameras were used, even if the exif is missing. Panasonic is more relaxed about using cameras other than Panasonic.

.... That is an extremely helpful list in #16,662 [That's a mighty loooong thread!], Graham - A big thankyou! Useful to others too, not just me.

I know Andy Rouse and Tesni Ward (not so well as Andy) personally and am able to contact them if I need to but they are busy professionals and so I try to respect their time. I had forgotten that Tesni switched - She had the same rig as me when I last saw her: Canon 1DX + EF 500mm F/4L but I now remember her telling me she had switched to Olympus. Not being interested in Olympus at the time I didn't ask her any questions about it but I do remember her saying she was pleased.

She has some pages on her website where she shares her findings about the M1X and also separately about the MC-20 with examples of her photos including settings. Her work with Olympus gear is very impressive and shows what can be done. At the risk of sounding big-headed, if you look at my wildlife photos (below the trains and horses!) on my Flickr page linked in my signature below, I think I can eventually reach the same standards with the best of my work with Canon but using Olympus. I might even arrange to spend a day with her after I have got to basecamp with the M1X and also bought the ED 300mm PRO.

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/six-months-on-with-the-em1x/

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/the-mc-20/

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/the-em1x/

She has some pages on her website where she shares her findings about the M1X and also separately about the MC-20 with examples of her photos including settings.

The other link, which may have already been suggested is https://smallsensorphotography.com/

Tom Stirr is famous for championing the Nikon 1 system. Switching from Nikon D800s to Nikon 1s for all his professional work and his hobby bird photography. Very briefly switched to Panasonic GH5 some years ago, but quickly went back to his Nikon 1s. He is now using EM1Xs and has some useful observations on his web site linked above.

Just had a search online to see what's being said about the EM1x recently. A bit of me loves how much it gets people wound up who have never touched one. Childish moment over. Thanks, good night.

Just had a search online to see what's being said about the EM1x recently. A bit of me loves how much it gets people wound up who have never touched one. Childish moment over. Thanks, good night.
People underestimate m4/3 until they actually use it properly, it's a really great system.

.... That is an extremely helpful list in #16,662 [That's a mighty loooong thread!], Graham - A big thankyou! Useful to others too, not just me.

I know Andy Rouse and Tesni Ward (not so well as Andy) personally and am able to contact them if I need to but they are busy professionals and so I try to respect their time. I had forgotten that Tesni switched - She had the same rig as me when I last saw her: Canon 1DX + EF 500mm F/4L but I now remember her telling me she had switched to Olympus. Not being interested in Olympus at the time I didn't ask her any questions about it but I do remember her saying she was pleased.

She has some pages on her website where she shares her findings about the M1X and also separately about the MC-20 with examples of her photos including settings. Her work with Olympus gear is very impressive and shows what can be done. At the risk of sounding big-headed, if you look at my wildlife photos (below the trains and horses!) on my Flickr page linked in my signature below, I think I can eventually reach the same standards with the best of my work with Canon but using Olympus. I might even arrange to spend a day with her after I have got to basecamp with the M1X and also bought the ED 300mm PRO.

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/six-months-on-with-the-em1x/

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/the-mc-20/

http://www.tesniward.co.uk/the-em1x/
just read through those links robin , and while I agree about most of it I do tend to think that she hasn't shot with a firmware updated MKii .I might be entirely wrong in that assumption but its definetly been a game changer .. last year I would have chosen the panasonic g9 over the olympus every time . since the update the olympus wins hands down as mikeW will confirm as he has owned both and used both for wildlife .
will your hit rate improve by changing thats in the lap of the gods but one thing I will say is that every time out with this camera I seem to come home with a few shots that just jump out and go STUNNING .
I also find that if your not happy with the finished pic its easy to go back and improve on it

Having just switched over can anyone that are using the Panasonic 100-400 on a om M1, do you have both the IS on in camera and lens or just on in one or the other.

Thanks.

Back