Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Seems sensible enough. I've not deliberately taken my cameras out in bad weather, but if I get caught out in the rain I don't panic, after all they've been designed to tackle it. Both my Olly and my Nikons have been out in some pretty torrential rain, but they've been unflustered. If I'm at an event (such as motorsport) and have my bag with me I'll always take a rain cover just in case.
No photo is that important , even more so when Your retired there’s always the next day to get that shot .

No photo is that important , even more so when Your retired there’s always the next day to get that shot .
TBH the worst of the rain is when I've been caught out and not had a bag or cover with me, but I'm not averse to using the camera in bad weather if it designed to be able to cope with it. If you're travelling for example there's not always a second opportunity for the photo. Obviously this is just my personal choice (y)

I carry a heavy duty bin liner it goes in my pocket and if the rain gets too bad it goes on the camera.

On this subject of being out taking photos in bad weather of various sorts < Better described as adverse conditions - I have never let it stop me either going out or from taking photos. I don't abuse any of my camera gear but I'm not going hesitate to use it - High winds is usually a bigger problem than rain because you can't stay still and consequently sharp images and intended compositions become almost impossible. I already have rain covers to fall back on but would prefer not to use them because they can get in the way - They serve a better purpose for me just as temporary covers when on walkabout in the rain while not actually shooting.

One of the major features which Olympus promotes about the E-M1X is its suitability for wildlife and all the adverse weather conditions which comes with the territory. If you ignore the more sensational 'torture' tests on YouTube and watch those from serious professionals including Olympus' own Visionaries, you will see the E-M1X used without issues in all sorts of conditions which you would think twice about with other cameras. The E-M1X is the first camera of all brands to achieve certification which guarantees weatherproofing to IPX1 standard.

Another reason why I am primarily interested in buying ED PRO lenses is their matched weatherproofing to the E-MX1 when mounted and that includes the MC-14 and MC-20 Teleconverters. Macro photography opportunities very rarely, if at all, happen in the rain as minibeasts don't like to get their hair wet :D.

So until someone here reports running into weatherproofing issues with their E-M1X (not any other E-M1 version), I am going to believe the Olympus marketing. Obviously, this is assuming I do go ahead with keeping my E-M1X and selling my Canons, I will report any issues here.

A video released by Olympus : Check out second half of this one-minute video in particular :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=5jpgsXzgXVU

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't doubt WR claims from these manufacturers at all, I've used many 'WR' cameras in pretty heavy downpours and never had the slightest issue. The EM1X is going to be tougher and better sealed than any of those I'd imagine. The only camera that ever gave me some grief after using in the rain was the non-WR Nikon D90 - I shot a marathon with it in absoloute torrential downpour and though it got a proper good toweling down after, the digital info display in the VF was Kaput, also the rubber grips around the body began peeling bad soon after, they became a it ... 'squishy'.

Funnily enough, I don't tend to trust the WR claims from manufacturers at all and always carry and will use a rain cover (currently using Storm Shields which are excellent and not overly expensive). Over the years, I've seen too many photographers have problems with high end WR equipment (OEM WR bodies and OEM WR lenses) in even light rain to be wholly comfortable with the protection claimed. In fact, a good friend of mine has just has his 1DX mk II returned from Canon after it failed from water ingress after it failed while being used in the rain. He even had a cover on, but water still got into the camera via somewhere on the back plate.

Simon.

Funnily enough, I don't tend to trust the WR claims from manufacturers at all and always carry and will use a rain cover (currently using Storm Shields which are excellent and not overly expensive). Over the years, I've seen too many photographers have problems with high end WR equipment (OEM WR bodies and OEM WR lenses) in even light rain to be wholly comfortable with the protection claimed. In fact, a good friend of mine has just has his 1DX mk II returned from Canon after it failed from water ingress after it failed while being used in the rain. He even had a cover on, but water still got into the camera via somewhere on the back plate.

Simon.

I must've been lucky all these years in that case. I was only out with my XH1 yesterday in the rain and wasn't concerned (obviously a WR lens attached too] - Towel down, and back into the bag with a tonne of silica gel packs seems to always do the trick. I guess if it was really getting a soaking I'd be a little concerned, but I'm not so likely to be out in a down pour, I mean I'm not very WR myself :D

On this subject of being out taking photos in bad weather of various sorts < Better described as adverse conditions - I have never let it stop me either going out or from taking photos.

So until someone here reports running into weatherproofing issues with their E-M1X (not any other E-M1 version), I am going to believe the Olympus marketing. Obviously, this is assuming I do go ahead with keeping my E-M1X and selling my Canons, I will report any issues here.

Another video on EM1x weatherproofing during a water festival. I haven't watched it again but at one point he mentions that the camera he was using the year before gave up because of the amount of water splashing around. The EM1x was fine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bv7wwNLjQk

a few years ago I went diving in the Red Sea with a lovely camera in a waterproof and rather expensive housing . what the manufacturers hadn't taken into account was that the silicone O ring sealing the whole lot to make it waterproof was not heat resistant it stretched a wee bit and water pressure did the rest . this was in the early days of digital and trying to find a replacement in Egypt was a total no brainer . spoiled my holiday never trust water and electrics it doesn't work

I regularly use my EM1ii at the beach in windy conditions where it catches spray. When I get home I use fairly wet kitchen roll and dab it over the camera and lens. I then dry it with a towel and leave it all out so any moisture in any crannies can dry off. I take the filter off and run it under the tap.

I often take wet kitchen roll in my pocket in a plastic bag, and a microfibre sports towel to clean spray from the filter during shooting too.

Some years ago I was on the press boat during a sailing event. One guy shooting with an Oly said he took it into the shower with him afterwards.

a few years ago I went diving in the Red Sea with a lovely camera in a waterproof and rather expensive housing . what the manufacturers hadn't taken into account was that the silicone O ring sealing the whole lot to make it waterproof was not heat resistant it stretched a wee bit and water pressure did the rest . this was in the early days of digital and trying to find a replacement in Egypt was a total no brainer . spoiled my holiday never trust water and electrics it doesn't work

Wasn’t it a similar problem with O rings and heat expansion that caused the space shuttle disaster?

Wasn’t it a similar problem with O rings and heat expansion that caused the space shuttle disaster?
As far as I recall it was triggered by very cold conditions the night before the launch.......some engineers advised waiting for the ambient temperature to rise enough before launching. They didn't and the thermal expansion changes exceeded the design parameters of the O ring materials due the to cold period :(

It was a tragically 'good' example of the warning voice being ignored because of other pressures :(

If the EM5 mkIII were to get hand held high-res in a firmware upgrade, then it would be a worth while upgrade from my EM5 mkII. I don't know if it could be done. But just better AF is all that interests me in the new model. And is not enough to tempt me to go from the II to the III.

I can see a seal on around the door casing for the battery compartment and a seal around the memory card slots on the body.

As the camera is not waterproof for use under water I wouldn't expect to find rubber o rings as I don't think they even use these on the seal where the lens barrel moves in and out. A lot of the weather proofing comes from how the water is directed away by the design of the casing so the seal only has to stop very low pressure water run ingress. (my completely un expert opinion so stands to be corrected)

I must look at mine again.........are you sure that you are looking at seals i.e. rubber O ring type?

Well, I am usually very keen eyed when it comes to "seeing" the construction of products....................but I eat humble pie this time!

So thanks to @jono2002 for prompting me to look that bit more closely:-
Re: the cards slot area ~ in my defence I was expecting to see the whole of the door would have a seal around it? But yes what I initially thought was simply part of the moulding design is indeed a firm rubber insert and the door has the corresponding moulded area that presses into it when the door is snapped shut.
However, I would be wary of opening the door if the camera has had a dousing just in case there was water ingress behind it................in case that then drained into the card slot(s)?

Re: the battery door ~ yes, I have now seen the soft foam seal around the edge of the door :)
However, I sincerely hope they have included some sort of seal within the door because the latching lever is also a point of ingress ;)

Now knowing this I have that bit more confidence in its resistance to rain but as @the black fox I think it was that said "I cannot afford to get it damaged...." so will still err on the side of caution???

Well, I am usually very keen eyed when it comes to "seeing" the construction of products....................but I eat humble pie this time!

So thanks to @jono2002 for prompting me to look that bit more closely:-
Re: the cards slot area ~ in my defence I was expecting to see the whole of the door would have a seal around it? But yes what I initially thought was simply part of the moulding design is indeed a firm rubber insert and the door has the corresponding moulded area that presses into it when the door is snapped shut.
However, I would be wary of opening the door if the camera has had a dousing just in case there was water ingress behind it................in case that then drained into the card slot(s)?

Re: the battery door ~ yes, I have now seen the soft foam seal around the edge of the door :)
However, I sincerely hope they have included some sort of seal within the door because the latching lever is also a point of ingress ;)

Now knowing this I have that bit more confidence in its resistance to rain but as @the black fox I think it was that said "I cannot afford to get it damaged...." so will still err on the side of caution???
I would expect it would need the worst if the water removed before opening the card door. A little drop would have to make it a long way to be a major problem. SD cards have always been reasonably resilient to water due to their design.

I have a question about High Res Shot RAW processing please which is a shooting option in E-M1 cameras.
My RAW editor is Capture One 12.1 which supports Olympus E-M1X but not the Olympus 50mpx RAW files as far as I can discover. Or does converting just the Oly 50mpx RAW image in Workspace then subsequently make it visible and editable in Capture One?

Olympus Workspace states :

"A 64-bit OS and 4 GB or more of memory are required for High Res Shot RAW processing." My i7 desktop Mac runs 64-bit apps on macOS 10.14 Mojave and has 32 GB memory and I have intentionally not updated to 10.15 Catalina because some of my important apps are 32-bit and will not be supported.

The option of being able to shoot macro subjects such as minibeasts in Olympus 50mpx RAW is very attractive but useless if I can't post-process them in my workflow.

I have a question about High Res Shot RAW processing please which is a shooting option in E-M1 cameras.
My RAW editor is Capture One 12.1 which supports Olympus E-M1X but not the Olympus 50mpx RAW files as far as I can discover. Or does converting just the Oly 50mpx RAW image in Workspace then subsequently make it visible and editable in Capture One?

Olympus Workspace states :

"A 64-bit OS and 4 GB or more of memory are required for High Res Shot RAW processing." My i7 desktop Mac runs 64-bit apps on macOS 10.14 Mojave and has 32 GB memory and I have intentionally not updated to 10.15 Catalina because some of my important apps are 32-bit and will not be supported.

The option of being able to shoot macro subjects such as minibeasts in Olympus 50mpx RAW is very attractive but useless if I can't post-process them in my workflow.

I did have a try with Capture one last night with high Res shots after our recent discussion.

Capture one currently doesn't do a good job of them. So I went to Olympus Workspace and exported as a TIFF to work on. I don't think this issue is exclusive to Olympus as other manufacturers need you to use their own software to do the initial processing.

I would expect it would need the worst if the water removed before opening the card door. A little drop would have to make it a long way to be a major problem. SD cards have always been reasonably resilient to water due to their design.

.... Exactly that. It shouldn't be difficult to wipe the card door area before opening it and to open it when under shelter. The Oly PRO standard of weatherproofing is designed to work when all camera doors are closed. The Sony TOUGH UHS-II cards really are tough! And also very very fast - I have shot bursts of 45 images at 14fps just to test them without any lag. But it's the camera's electronic contacts which need to be kept dry I expect.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BOb7mgNdw

I did have a try with Capture one last night with high Res shots after our recent discussion. Capture one currently doesn't do a good job of them.

Phase One says they don't support the Olympus high res mode, but they appear to still have a policy of adding support for things if enough people ask for it through a technical support request. If I continue with the idea of using Olympus, I will certainly be putting in a support request.

In the past, I've had support added for three cameras in C1 at the next point release after I had asked it. But there may be more work involved in providing support for high res images. It took them a long time to deliver support for compressed Fuji Raw files.

If interested the three cameras were Nikon V2, V3 and J5

.... Exactly that. It shouldn't be difficult to wipe the card door area before opening it and to open it when under shelter. The Oly PRO standard of weatherproofing is designed to work when all camera doors are closed. The Sony TOUGH UHS-II cards really are tough! And also very very fast - I have shot bursts of 45 images at 14fps just to test them without any lag. But it's the camera's electronic contacts which need to be kept dry I expect.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1BOb7mgNdw

Yup, it is not the SD card I would be too concerned about but water ingress into the guts of the camera.

The SD cards ports are if not attached to the mainboard are integral to it so water 'in there' would likely be terminal!

I regularly use my EM1ii at the beach in windy conditions where it catches spray. When I get home I use fairly wet kitchen roll and dab it over the camera and lens. I then dry it with a towel and leave it all out so any moisture in any crannies can dry off. I take the filter off and run it under the tap.

I often take wet kitchen roll in my pocket in a plastic bag, and a microfibre sports towel to clean spray from the filter during shooting too.

Some years ago I was on the press boat during a sailing event. One guy shooting with an Oly said he took it into the shower with him afterwards.

Sage insight & advice :)

Tis all about pre-planning to have the extra bits of kit to mitigate for the wetting and how to pack/transport it if still damp!

ordinary rain or tap water unless contaminated should not be a problem .. BUT sea water with its high salt content which is also highly corrosive probably would be ,having seen what it does to fishing equipment and outboard engines I simply would not trust it around my camera . in fact a wash off in fresh water is always recommended for anything after being in the sea

ordinary rain or tap water unless contaminated should not be a problem .. BUT sea water with its high salt content which is also highly corrosive probably would be ,having seen what it does to fishing equipment and outboard engines I simply would not trust it around my camera . in fact a wash off in fresh water is always recommended for anything after being in the sea

Hmm! I suppose if one is going to rinse a camera off then a spray bottle with de-ionised water (to be sure there are no contaminants left) is worth considering :)

I did have a try with Capture one last night with high Res shots after our recent discussion.

Capture one currently doesn't do a good job of them. So I went to Olympus Workspace and exported as a TIFF to work on. I don't think this issue is exclusive to Olympus as other manufacturers need you to use their own software to do the initial processing.

.... That's helpful - Thanks :)

So, my workflow would be :

1) - Load my card containing all types of shot RAW images (I don't shoot JPEG) into Olympus Workspace on my desktop (laptop if travelling).
2) - Cull and colour label all as usual.
3) - Transfer my 'normal' RAW images into my folder system in Capture One for RAW conversion and editing as usual on my desktop when home.
4) - Convert only my High Res RAW Oly files in Workspace.
5) - Export as TIFFs into Capture One on my desktop and finish with Photoshop plug-ins as usual in a round trip.
6) - Export as JPEGs to various folders on my hard drive.

OR

4a) - Convert only my High Res RAW Oly files in Workspace and make local adjustments while still in Workspace.
5) - Export as TIFFs etc as above.
6) - Export as JPEGs etc as above.

Word on the street says that Capture One does a better job of RAW converting ORF files than Workspace does. Rather like Capture One converts RAW files better than Canon's DPP does. Being a Phase One product rather than Adobe, Capture One is reputed/reported to be better than Lightroom too. But perhaps this is beginning to pixel-peep the conversion subject.

1) - Load my card containing all types of shot RAW images (I don't shoot JPEG) into Olympus Workspace on my desktop (laptop if travelling).
3) - Transfer my 'normal' RAW images into my folder system in Capture One for RAW conversion and editing as usual on my desktop when home.
5) - Export as TIFFs into Capture One on my desktop and finish with Photoshop plug-ins as usual in a round trip.

OR

4a) - Convert only my High Res RAW Oly files in Workspace and make local adjustments while still in Workspace.

Word on the street says that Capture One does a better job of RAW converting ORF files than Workspace does. Rather like Capture One converts RAW files better than Canon's DPP does. Being a Phase One product rather than Adobe, Capture One is reputed/reported to be better than Lightroom too. But perhaps this is beginning to pixel-peep the conversion subject.
Wow your files must be huge if you're working with TIFFs?

Wow your files must be huge if you're working with TIFFs?

.... 'Huge' is a relative term. I take the view that having spent a serious amount of money on camera gear, I would be wasting it if I didn't milk the most I could out of it. And besides, as you know yourself from shooting on D-SLR full-size format with high quality lenses, it is very satisfying to achieve a good standard of image quality.

So, shooting exclusively RAW inevitably means working with TIFFs and only exporting to JPEG when finished. I don't keep everything I shoot anyway.

.... 'Huge' is a relative term. I take the view that having spent a serious amount of money on camera gear, I would be wasting it if I didn't milk the most I could out of it. And besides, as you know yourself from shooting on D-SLR full-size format with high quality lenses, it is very satisfying to achieve a good standard of image quality.

So, shooting exclusively RAW inevitably means working with TIFFs and only exporting to JPEG when finished. I don't keep everything I shoot anyway.
I import the .orf files (Olympus RAW) straight into lightroom and then on the rare occasion I transfer to photoshop they go back and forth as .psd files, I'm not sure if these are better or worse than TIFF tbh in terms of IQ. Once processed I export as jpeg.

OR

I am hoping to test the high resolution mode in the studio over the weekend & will look at the best way I can find for processing with capture one mixed with other applications.
Will post a new thread for it and drop an link on here as it's a topic in its own right.

I am hoping to test the high resolution mode in the studio over the weekend & will look at the best way I can find for processing with capture one mixed with other applications.
Will post a new thread for it and drop an link on here as it's a topic in its own right.

.... Thanks! I look forward very much to reading that and I'm sure that others will too.

How desirable or important having a High Res RAW option/mode on some Olympus cameras depends on either what sort of photography someone does or wants to do. But for example, a friend of mine who is a very successful professional who shoots wildlife and landscapes throughout the world and who shoots Canon D-SLR, often carries an extra 50Mpx 5DR body for his expansive landscapes. I know that he personally is not interested at the moment in even full-frame mirrorless let alone m4/3. I'm going to Greece with him in January and I shall try and keep my camera bag of Olympus gear as a surprise. I can just see his face now saying something like "Robin, you forgot your camera. Why did you bring a toy?". That's assuming I do change from Canon to Olympus and that he doesn't hear about it through a mutual friend. As he will sometimes help me lift my camera bags that might also give him a clue!

But the point is that this High Res option by Olympus is potentially a very valuable feature. It wouldn't work well (currently) for fast fps bursts on wildlife but that doesn't matter - As always it's horses-for-courses as we all know. The beauty of it is that you can just select it as a mode for as few or many shots as you like and all within the same single body.

What Olympus are introducing and developing for their m4/3 system is very exciting and should ensure their survival in an increasingly competitive market. Feature advances in digital firmware updates is becoming increasingly valuable to both consumers and manufacturers.

BUT, anything like a High Res RAW option has to be practical in a photographer's post-processing workflow whether they are a professional or an amateur. Surely no-one shoots RAW unless they are going to post-process to maximise their image's potential. For me I see it potentially very desirable for insect macro images and for the odd occasion my eye sees a composition and atmosphere in a landscape.

Last edited:
.... Thanks! I look forward very much to reading that and I'm sure that others will too.

How desirable or important having a High Res RAW option/mode on some Olympus cameras depends on either what sort of photography someone does or wants to do. But for example, a friend of mine who is a very successful professional who shoots wildlife and landscapes throughout the world and who shoots Canon D-SLR, often carries an extra 50Mpx 5DR body for his expansive landscapes. I know that he personally is not interested at the moment in even full-frame mirrorless let alone m4/3. I'm going to Greece with him in January and I shall try and keep my camera bag of Olympus gear as a surprise. I can just see his face now saying something like "Robin, you forgot your camera. Why did you bring a toy?". That's assuming I do change from Canon to Olympus and that he doesn't hear about it through a mutual friend. As he will sometimes help me lift my camera bags that might also give him a clue!

But the point is that this High Res option by Olympus is potentially a very valuable feature. It wouldn't work well (currently) for fast fps bursts on wildlife but that doesn't matter - As always it's horses-for-courses as we all know.

What Olympus are introducing and developing for their m4/3 system is very exciting and should ensure their survival in an increasingly competitive market. Feature advances in digital firmware updates is becoming increasingly valuable to both consumers and manufacturers.

BUT, anything like a High Res RAW option has to be practical in a photographer's post-processing workflow whether they are a professional or an amateur. Surely no-one shoots RAW unless they are going to post-process to maximise their image's potential. For me I see it potentially very desirable for insect macro images and for the odd occasion my eye sees a composition and atmosphere in a landscape.
The hi res is a very nice feature to have but the main reason I don’t use it is because it takes time to take all of the shots that are combined to create the hi res file and even in a seemingly static landscape movement can come into play in things such as leaves. One would assume the EM1x will negate this more since it can take handheld hi res, but I don’t know whether this is down to speed that the shots are taken, or a combination of IBIS and processing. If it’s the latter then motion could come into play again.

But the point is that this High Res option by Olympus is potentially a very valuable feature. It wouldn't work well (currently) for fast fps bursts on wildlife but that doesn't matter - As always it's horses-for-courses as we all know. The beauty of it is that you can just select it as a mode for as few or many shots as you like and all within the same single body.

The EM1X will make many other cameras look like the "toy" :D

Nice d.o.f Iain . Bit lighter init LOL

just taken it off Jeff looked flat. I will try and find another way to load it. Tried from Flickr but the forum wouldn't accept it.

Initial test image here in a new thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/processing-olympus-high-res-shots.702862/post-8546871

More than happy to take a different image subject/object as well, thought I would start somewhere.

Mine is fine, chance it has rubbed against something?
Gradually just started wearing off, never had it on previous olly bodies, guessing just some random issue when manufactured (y)

Back