Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

As an Olympus newbie I think this photo is proving to me that my Olympus small m4/3 sensor can deliver results up to the standard of my Canon full-frame sensor camera. There is no such thing as the perfect camera but just Horses-for-Courses. Olympus handheld telephoto power plus very serious weatherproofing is utterly liberating.

THE AWESOME PLUMAGE OF A STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO LIKES AND/OR COMMENTS ON MY PICTURES - IT IS ALWAYS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED]

Who said a starling was black!

Nice one robin , just had someone else contact me for help ,but they never left contact details LOL

Whoever it is that keeps sending me voice texts on my house phone ,please just call me normally as I can’t get the number off of it !!!!

Nice Iain have you got the mki or mkii

So I managed to get my hands on a used Oly 300 f/4.0 prime and took it to the ESAA Cross Country Cup Regional Final in St Albans today. IQ is very good but I've got more shots with missed focus and blur as compared to the 40-150 f/2.8 - any suggestions on minimum shutter speed to use when handholding this lens?

E-M1II + Oly 300 f/4.0 using CAF:

20191109_112221_013 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

So I managed to get my hands on a used Oly 300 f/4.0 prime and took it to the ESAA Cross Country Cup Regional Final in St Albans today. IQ is very good but I've got more shots with missed focus and blur as compared to the 40-150 f/2.8 - any suggestions on minimum shutter speed to use when handholding this lens?

Another point to bear in mind, and probably more relevant than shutter speed - the depth of field is much less due to the extended focal length.

I’d assume you’d be shooting at 1/1000 for runners anyway which is more than enough for a 600mm eq lens, even without IBIS (y)

I would suggest a minimum of 1/1000th of a sec if hand held .even more if the light is poor . Also ensure that your stabiliser is set up correctly ,I have mine set as lens priority .. and it also depends on the amount of active focus points for birding I tend to use the pinpoint a/f for birds that fly straight ,and switch to 25 for fast moving subjects.. I also have the EVF set to be on all the time to help with tracking and just use CAF only

What has been said above is right. I did sport professionally for 20+ years and for what you are doing I would use the 40-150 F2.8 a 600mm eq lens has too narrow a DoF.

Last edited:
As an Olympus newbie I think this photo is proving to me that my Olympus small m4/3 sensor can deliver results up to the standard of my Canon full-frame sensor camera. There is no such thing as the perfect camera but just Horses-for-Courses. Olympus handheld telephoto power plus very serious weatherproofing is utterly liberating.

THE AWESOME PLUMAGE OF A STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO LIKES AND/OR COMMENTS ON MY PICTURES - IT IS ALWAYS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED]

This just goes to show that when seeing a Starling there is more beauty than initially meets the eye :)

As I said elsewhere robin , I still don’t trust electronics and water despite the makers claims .. but it’s your gear ..but I have to admit you have literally taken to it like a duck to water LOL ..

Post these shots on Flickr or anywhere in fact without EXIF data or info and you honestly wouldn’t know what there taken on , making changing a good idea .. and the sheer amount of people who are now changing to Olympus does show that they have got it right

4/3 RUMOR SITE SAYS ITS CRAP AND NOT TRUE, YES IME SHOUTING

a sparrow hawk from yesterday , this should have been easy shot,, but it didn't come together right ,perhaps the elements of the surrounding area or the intense light .. one of my mates who shots Sony mirrorless also commented on the light causing problems yesterday
fencelife by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

a sparrow hawk from yesterday , this should have been easy shot,, but it didn't come together right ,perhaps the elements of the surrounding area or the intense light .. one of my mates who shots Sony mirrorless also commented on the light causing problems yesterday
fencelife by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Yes I don't like too intense light either. Not so on this shot but contrast is often too high, shadows too black and highlights blown out < All manageable when you have time on the shot but tricky.

I think you have done well and actually it's the background which is too intense which is a pity because the pattern and colours are lovely.

At last some decent light for me to try out my new Olympus kit. I am pleased with this kit and just need to become more familiar and particularly how best to avoid noise because both the Canon EOS-R and 1DX-2 deliver less noise ISO in low light.

A KINGFISHER KEEN ON FISHING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Dang! I was hoping that Handheld High Res would eventually come to other cameras as a firmware upgrade. Such as to the new EM5 mk3. But it seems this feature is only possible if you have dual TruePic VIII image processing engines. Such as in the E-M1X

see interview here: https://www.43rumors.com/olympus-interview-with-masaomi-tomizawa/

.... That's a good interview which gives an insight into the Olympus ethos.

Rich and sophisticated features are indeed only possible with the extra processing power which cameras with dual linked processors are able to offer. Digital cameras are like mini computers. With dual processors comes more heat and larger bodies, hence the M1X - I'm not complaining.

But Ian, if the camera you already have has Tripod High Res, then doesn't that still enable you to capture high res files on static subjects anyway? Out of curiosity and ignorance, why is the handheld version valuable to you?

I want to try out the Pro Capture feature.

.... That's a good interview which gives an insight into the Olympus ethos.

Rich and sophisticated features are indeed only possible with the extra processing power which cameras with dual linked processors are able to offer. Digital cameras are like mini computers. With dual processors comes more heat and larger bodies, hence the M1X - I'm not complaining.

But Ian, if the camera you already have has Tripod High Res, then doesn't that still enable you to capture high res files on static subjects anyway? Out of curiosity and ignorance, why is the handheld version valuable to you?

I want to try out the Pro Capture feature.
Handheld High Res as useful as Tripod High Res is, when I don't have my tripod with me. I think I read they have improved the artefact handling too.
I'm not desperate for huge resolutions. But sometimes it's nice. And would have made the upgrade to the E-M5 mk 3 more fruitful.

Just bought / ordered a spare battery , with the colder weather approaching I’m thinking battery drain will increase ,so better safe than sorry

Ok here is a question for you Olympus users I’m currently using 2x em 1 bodies and a 5MKll I’m looking to upgrade to either a omd em 1 mkll or the em1x I prefer the fact that the MKll has the option of a removable grip/battery pack.
So is there a big difference in between the the 2 cameras performance as I prefer the small body of mkll which I believe has had a big firmware upgrade recently?
I would really appreciate your input.
Or should I just stick with what I have it’s more the continuous focus tracking I’m looking to improve on,
Cheers

Ok here is a question for you Olympus users I’m currently using 2x em 1 bodies and a 5MKll I’m looking to upgrade to either a omd em 1 mkll or the em1x I prefer the fact that the MKll has the option of a removable grip/battery pack.
So is there a big difference in between the the 2 cameras performance as I prefer the small body of mkll which I believe has had a big firmware upgrade recently?
I would really appreciate your input.
Or should I just stick with what I have it’s more the continuous focus tracking I’m looking to improve on,
Cheers

CAF on the E-M1MkII is *much* better than on the E-M1MkI, especially after the recent firmware upgrade. I'm sure the E-M1X is better still but for my needs the E-M1II is sufficient. I upgraded from the E-M1MkI and the upgrade is well worth it just for the CAF performance alone.

Back