Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Out Of interest, how much do you think it costs to make AF lenses instead of manual ? These manual lenses are cheap ( £70 + taxes ) but is the cost of the electronics really not worth it ?

Or is it the R&D that goes with it ?

As always Jeff your photographs are great, can you confirm the lens is sharp enough and I take it its manual everything only?
Yep it’s razor sharp I can’t really tell the i.q apart from the Olympus lenses I had previously . The body of the lens is one large chunk of aluminium and just feels right ,the weird protruding centre piece is actually a removability lens hood .. yes it’s manual everything the aperture is de.clicked ,the focus has a lovely smooth feel to it .. not yet found anything to dislike about it . Spent most of the day digging my macro bits and bobs out of the drawers ,unused since last year ..the only thing I can’t get to work is focus peaking but not sure whether that only works with Olympus lenses ? And it’s really camera related anyway

Out Of interest, how much do you think it costs to make AF lenses instead of manual ? These manual lenses are cheap ( £70 + taxes ) but is the cost of the electronics really not worth it ?

No idea but with this 7 artisans one I can say without doubt it’s well made .. very impressed so far and no adaptors needed it’s a MFT mount

focus peaking now sorted .. had to assign a function button to it .. full steam ahead now

couple of early flower macro shots . taken indoors with my mini home studio set up . its a case of re-learning what I have forgotten . a improvement on yesterday though and still impressed with this lens
ruby by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr starting over by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
REPAIRS UPDATE as some will know that while the Portugal repair facility is up and running it seems that items being sent for warranty repair are simply being stored in a warehouse in Kent ,whether due to covid or Brexit no one seems willing to answer .. personally my grip rubber is starting to detach again so needs to go back ... after a post on another forum turned into a Brexit debate I phoned olympus u.k today heres a transcript of the call..

not good news I'm afraid , as threatened I phoned Olympus u.k this morning they put me through to the relevant dept that deals with repairs ... the ladies accent put me on alert straight away .. so I asked the where are you question .. we are based in Prague was the reply and we handle all the repairs .. I then told her that as far as we can ascertain u.k repairs are stuck in a warehouse in Kent . .... she had no answer to that except advising me to wait till things are sorted out better before sending anything off .

so it seems we are now hitting a brick wall .send stuff off with the risk it will be stuck in transit for months .. with no one seeming to want to deal with the problem effectively .. we are literally in a catch 22 situation if you only have one camera body ,and god help you if its a major fault .

so if anyone from olympus are reading this stop hiding your heads in the sand and give us some answers

My Laowa 50mm f2.8 has an electronic aperture as they have now signed up to MFT. It was £409.
That is the same price as the 65mm f2.8 APSC lens which has no connection to the camera

I succumbed to a new manual lens (actually two but one hasn't arrived yet). Tamron SP90mm F/2.5 and Tamron SP28-80mm f/3.5-4.2 CF Macro zoom. I tend not to use the zoom lenses on my OMD so I'll be using that on my Pentax ME Super. Here is a picture of the SP90 on the OMD. Tamron made a specific adapter for this lens to get from 1:2 to 1:1 macro. I'm looking around for one.

20210311_172035.jpg

Tech question, if the rubber trim is coming off an OM-D1 Mkii, does that affect the waterproofing?
I know I need to get it fixed, but as tbf is reporting, repair work is all messed up at the moment.

Not sure on that one , I’m hovering at the moment on buying a set of plastic CF replacement grips , will cost me £50 but cure the problem ..
It’s caused by the grip rubber absorbing oils from our skin and expanding ,a plastic printed set will end that . It’s either that or hang on till the repair situation improves ,really sat on the fence on this

Tech question, if the rubber trim is coming off an OM-D1 Mkii, does that affect the waterproofing?
I know I need to get it fixed, but as tbf is reporting, repair work is all messed up at the moment.

.... I assume you are referring to external rubber trim. In which case I am confident that the waterproofing (weatherproofing) will still be intact. I have seen an illustration which shows all the internal weatherseals in a M1X and the M1 mkII will be virtually the same - I'll see if I can find it for you.

Here you go :

M1mk2 structure.jpgZTECH_WEATHER_SEALS.jpg

Last edited:
Just returned from my 2nd day of freedom , biting cold winds , but I might have a few good shots ..laterz dudes

nice Pete

Some links to share from Petr Bambousek's website.....................I have yet to read them all through but my immediate impression was they were worth sharing :)

Olympus postproces – before/after | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

Wide-angle Wildlife Photography | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

Laowa 50mm/2.8 2x Ultra Macro APO | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

PS not too sure I shared this one before ~ Night time Macro thread over ate DPReview
Night macro with Olympus + (mostly) M.Zuiko 60mm/2.8: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

PPS and he has on those pages a 15% of code for Topaz products @Harlequin565 maybe of interest for you ;)

Last edited:
Some links to share from Petr Bambousek's website.....................I have yet to read them all through but my immediate impression was they were worth sharing :)

Olympus postproces – before/after | Petr Bambousek | Wildlife Photography (sulasula.com)

.... I have read Petr's postprocessing opinions and I couldn't agree more! I quote from his article :

" After the transition to Olympus, I had a number of interesting debates. Debates discussing the usefulness of the outputs, how much of the post-processing is required, or even how much the background needs to be manipulated to achieve decent softness. I was asked several times to present my RAW or an unprocessed photo. I am not of the opinion that an unprocessed photo is a faithful representation of photographer’s work. The RAW format has very little to do with what is happening right before our eyes. Personally, I view it as a mere data package from which, once at home, I extract my vision of the photographed scene and present it to the audience. I try to capture the maximum amount of textures and fine details enabling me to print the photos in larger formats. However, a lot of people perceive the post-process either as a complete change of reality ..."

For me personally it's all about translating and conveying the moment you captured and evoking all sorts of emotional responses such as to the character and behaviour of, in my case, the wildlife/surfer subject.

Capturing the image data on your camera's sensor is merely the starting point but it makes sense to capture all you can in the circumstances in order to reduce post-processing beyond RAW conversion and adjustments.

As an ex Canon D-SLR photographer on their flagship 1DX-2 and L-lenses, I am aware of the differences with the Olympus m4/3 Pro system I now use and enjoy. I appreciate the image quality which a larger sensor can offer, just as when I was a professional Art Director I appreciated the benefits of Hasselblad, 5x4, 10x8, and even 10x12 inch plate cameras used by professional photographers I worked with. There is no such thing as a perfect camera and they each have their own advantages and disadvantages. The Olympus Pro system best suits what I enjoy doing now.

PIED WAGTAIL ON LOOKOUT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GLASSY GREEN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ C U Next Tuesday! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: [written on his surfboard]

Last edited:
Last edited:
Has anyone had experience with the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 on an Olympus body? I'm impressed with it's size, weight and zoom range.

Has anyone had experience with the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 on an Olympus body? I'm impressed with it's size, weight and zoom range.

I used that lens on both the Old EM1's and the Panasonic G9.
It's a super lens, equally as good as the Oly 40-150mm Pro. The autofocus and stabilisation on the OM1 is perfectly adequate.
The extra 50mm reach can be very useful.

It's a super lens, equally as good as the Oly 40-150mm Pro. The autofocus and stabilisation on the OM1 is perfectly adequate.
The extra 50mm reach can be very useful.

.... Very good as the Panasonic 50-200mm F/2.8-4.0 may be, the Olympus 40-150mm Pro retains its F/2.8 throughout, offers extremely good IQ when either the 1.4x or 2x Olympus TCs are mounted and it is totally weatherproof. Therefore I cannot agree that is "equally as good".

If it's a question of budget I would choose a used Olympus 40-150mm Pro over a new Panasonic 50-200mm without any hesitation. But it depends what you shoot and in which environments.

.... Very good as the Panasonic 50-200mm F/2.8-4.0 may be, the Olympus 40-150mm Pro retains its F/2.8 throughout, offers extremely good IQ when either the 1.4x or 2x Olympus TCs are mounted and it is totally weatherproof. Therefore I cannot agree that is "equally as good".

If it's a question of budget I would choose a used Olympus 40-150mm Pro over a new Panasonic 50-200mm without any hesitation. But it depends what you shoot and in which environments.

Well, I'm looking for an upgrade to my 75-300. Factors are size, weight and versatility. The P/L with a 1.4 tc or the Oly 40-150 with a 2x tc are about the same in spec.

But I'm happy with the 75-300 atm, or am I? This could just be a case of GAS.

Here's one from earlier with the current lens

Blackbird by Pete Banks, on Flickr

I think I’m entitled to my own opinion, and at least I have experience of both lenses.

I think I’m entitled to my own opinion, and at least I have experience of both lenses.

.... Of course you are entitled to your own opinion. As I am indeed entitled to offer mine and irrespective of whether I have used the Panasonic lens or not, the differences in spec are clear.

But if your photography doesn't need full weatherproofing and you don't need or want the option of mounting the MC-20 TC to significantly extend reach, then the Panasonic is good enough for you. I require both those features, and other features which the Pro spec lens has, and therefore I am sharing my strong preference.

I was merely pointing out the differences in the two lenses and consequently pointing out why I think in my opinion that they are not "equally as good" as your opinion stated. Having said that, @Pete B 's photo of a Blackbird on his Olympus 75-300mm looks very good indeed and he didn't need the Olympus 40-150mm Pro for that particular shot. Another shot in different circumstances might be a different matter - Such is wildlife.

:)

Personally Pete I would hold fire and hang on for the Olympus 100-400 that’s the real game changer with or without the 1.4 tc

Last edited:
Back