Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I know a lot of you are into nature and wildlife photography, and if you live in the south-east Drusillas have proudly unveiled a new baby ape and two baby red pandas. I went to see them yesterday and they are so adorable (the pandas didn't emerge until the very end of the day, as is typical): http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/pets/pet-and-wildlife-photography-east-sussex-new-arrivals/

If I'm going to go to a wildlife place I try to do it through the week or out of season - I find the animals are more active and of course there are a lot less people around.

Absolutely stunning pictures there Lindsay:clap: You ARE very talented, ..........or is it the lens;)

My 40-150 pro arrived this week so I took her out for a spin at Wisley today. These three are all with the x1.4 extender on near to or at the MFD.

10453-1425669445-7aeb8bfe5ffdb0e014073304f5a8d600.jpg

10454-1425669446-f296866ea65c7027aa2a2fe31eb299a3.jpg

10455-1425669447-a838aab55da960602abe757825eb6a44.jpg

And finally, one with the 60mm macro...

10452-1425669445-1b03e9b2d7086822f10103dbb304e007.jpg

Very nice, especially the last one - just wondering though why was the extender on? For the extra reach or you just didn't get round to taking it back off (sounds like something I'd do)

My 40-150 pro arrived this week so I took her out for a spin at Wisley today. These three are all with the x1.4 extender on near to or at the MFD.

10453-1425669445-7aeb8bfe5ffdb0e014073304f5a8d600.jpg
:D

10454-1425669446-f296866ea65c7027aa2a2fe31eb299a3.jpg

10455-1425669447-a838aab55da960602abe757825eb6a44.jpg

And finally, one with the 60mm macro...

10452-1425669445-1b03e9b2d7086822f10103dbb304e007.jpg

Cracking shots there Will. what are your 1st impressions of the of your new toy? love the last shot.......need a macro lens:D

Grrr - Wisley is just down the road but new house = no time

Seem to have GAS, @Lindsay D you're not helping ;) I'm wondering if my e-m10 will be up to panning when next month's Motorsport season opens

Very nice, especially the last one - just wondering though why was the extender on? For the extra reach or you just didn't get round to taking it back off (sounds like something I'd do)

The extender was just to give a bit more magnification to the close shots and so I could reach some of the little fellas that were resting further away. Plus I wanted to stress test the new lens and I figured x1.4 + MFD was a good test.

Cracking shots there Will. what are your 1st impressions of the of your new toy? love the last shot.......need a macro lens:D

1st impressions are very positive. I used to have a 5DII + 70-200 f4 IS and the EM1 + 40-150 pro is my replacement. It's a smaller setup, but not by that much because the 40-150 is heavier than I thought it would be. It's built like a tank and that hood is just amazing! Still, it all feels nice in the hand and operates effortlessly, nice and snappy. It hangs well on my black rapid strap as well.

I always knew from my 70-200 days that I would benefit from an extra 100mm reach, so don't underestimate how big a plus this is. With the x1.4 on top it's a massively versatile lens which is why I'd choose it over the panasonic 35-100. Alongside my 12-40 I've got good IQ and f2.8 from 12-150mm, so chuck in a couple of primes for low light and when I need small size, and a couple of niche lenses like the macro and fisheye, and I've got a absolutely superb setup. M43 has really come of ages now and this is one of the lenses that makes the transition from dslrs very easy.

Now I just need to learn it's strengths and weakness and understand it's character and I'm sure I'll get many many great photos from it.

ps - that macro shot was handheld at arms length. You've gotta love IBIS and a flippy screen!

Last edited:
.... It hangs well on my black rapid strap as well! ...
Interesting to see you write that - I still have mine back from my DSLR\50-500OS days and had never thought I'd want it again but....

lol, now I wish I had a colar for the 135 to test that out too :)

Just wondering - does anyone know where\if you can buy the little plastic BLN1 holders that the oly batteries come with - I've now got three or four spares but want a way to hold them other than just flapping about in the pocket of a bag.

Last edited:
So I went on an Olympus street walk today (which is well worth doing if you get the chance) and shot over 120 shots on the EM1 and EM5ii +/- grip.

Both are LOVELY cameras but for me, who already owns an EM10, the EM1 would be the one to get, focus was a little bit better and the inbuilt grip is more comfortable than the add on grip of the EM5ii. Also, although clearly better than my EM10 in many respects I felt the EM5ii wasn't different enough to justify the cost to change.

Tomorrow I get to play with my new 40-150 f/2.8. Woop!

How much better would you say the em1 is than the 10 ? Difficult to gauge in a short period I understand but I'm thinking at the af differences

Hmm, difficult to say really but definitely better better better.

The 5ii was very very snappy at single point af (better than the EM1 maybe?), on C-AF I took a sequence of a cyclist going by and the first two are out of focus but the others are nailed. I've only tried the EM10 on my parents dog and it was an epic fail, I acknowledge I need to do more testing with the EM10.

I didn't do the same with the EM1 as they were loaned cameras and weren't set up to my liking (and was too busy chatting to spend time changing them) but it did track the airplanes flying overhead with no problems and much much better than the EM10 - there was non of the micro (/not so micro) back and forth hunting you get there.

One thing I will say though is that the EVF on both the 1 and 5ii is very noticeably better, really really nice. Not that I've ever felt the EM10 had a bad EVF but these are way better.

I suppose a different way of putting this is that every time I've tried C-AF with the EM10 I ended up thinking "why bother"

With these new cameras (the EM1 especially) I ended up thinking "I could live with that".

I totally agree with that,my feeling exactly. Coming from a DSLR where I only ever shot in caf with back button focus it was jarring to say the least, but now I'm on the m1 I feel much more confident about using it, but had totally abandoned it on the 10.

I've only tried c-af once with the e-m10 and it was appalling - Lord knows who signed it off but it jumped all over the place so I'm back to s-af.

I really like the 10 BUT if the 1 does things much better, it may be worth an upgrade...

Re the mark ii, have a poke round on YouTube for Chelsea Northrup, she did a vid on the high res mode and longish story short, brilliant for studio, has artifacts on outdoor landscape.

I viewed the YouTube video was it not more a lens problem that possibly the Olympus 12-40 might not have had rather than using the Panasonic like they did ? Or better still using a Olympus prime lens.

For myself although I'd use the hi res feature it's not something I'd use a great deal :)

Last edited:
Perhaps but still worth noting the issue even if its only on some lenses.

BTW the 40-150s on hold at the least when I came to life the M1 + Canon 135 out of the bag and went bloody hell thats heavy.. Nice subconscious hint there :D

Nice capture on the swan in flight is it a cropped image though ? as for Canon 135mm i used have the AF model going have to get one of them again for my 5D3... Yet id like to buy loads lenses like the Oly 40-150 pro and 1.4 tele being one of my main wants :D yet i wont be able to buy that for some time :(

It is cropped, around 50% I'd say - but I wasn't at full reach though on the 100-300.

135L on the 5D3 is outstanding, I almost kept it just because of that pairing - truly for sheer IQ the best combo I've ever owned.

has anyone gone from the e-m10 to the e-m1 ? Am wondering if its worth the jump for C-AF improvements - I appreciate IQ will be pretty much the same

or wait until the mk2 comes out ?

I did - and without going back and rechecking the M10 I'd say it was leaps and bounds ahead, or to put it another was - I have the M1 on CAF 90% at least of the time and it only ever went on on the M10 to confirm it was shocking.

Focus lock on CAF - yes, much - EVF, I'd actually have to dig out the M10 and have a look, but I (and I seem to be the only one) didn't go WOW thats so much better.

I believe the EVF of the E-M10 is the same as the original E-M5, certainly in resolution.
So making that comparison I find the E-M1 EVF a nice step up (it's big and higher resolution), not that I would say the E-M5 EVF was bad at all.

Last edited:
Back