Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi there

Thanks for the thoughtful post, really helpful, I'm leaning towards the panasonic I do like the styling of the olympus but ultimately I like a 'good' handling camera. Couple that with a bit of video action and it looks like the G6 is the one or do I wait for the G7...[emoji3]

I've been trying to find time all day to answer but I've been on childcare duty.

I wouldn't disagree with anything that hasn't been said. The G6 is really great in the hand unlike the E-M5 (without grip) and the menus and controls IMO are so much better. The capacitive articulated screen is really responsive and you can pinch and swipe. It will still work if you are looking through the viewfinder so you can choose focus points with your right thumb with the camera up to the eye. Video is great as already stated but it's a given that panny are well ahead there.

I have only recently bought an E-M5 and for stills the IQ is better. If you look at my Flickr then you can see the difference when I changed to olympus for stills.

Edit: NM, I asked somewhere else.

Last edited:
I've been trying to find time all day to answer but I've been on childcare duty.

I wouldn't disagree with anything that hasn't been said. The G6 is really great in the hand unlike the E-M5 (without grip) and the menus and controls IMO are so much better. The capacitive articulated screen is really responsive and you can pinch and swipe. It will still work if you are looking through the viewfinder so you can choose focus points with your right thumb with the camera up to the eye. Video is great as already stated but it's a given that panny are well ahead there.

I have only recently bought an E-M5 and for stills the IQ is better. If you look at my Flickr then you can see the difference when I changed to olympus for stills.

Thanks for the reply, how would you compare the E-M10 to the G6 in terms of IQ? I think the G6 is top of the list but I do the like the styling of the Olympus gear, I can't quite stretch to the E-M5

There's quite a few cheapish EM5s coming up for sale at the moment as people upgrade to the EM1. I wouldn't buy a new EM5 when used ones can be had for c.£300.

Has anyone got the EM5ii yet? Intrigued as to how well the 40MP mode works, seen a few shots elsewhere that look pretty good.

I just got the Mark II as an upgrade from an E-PL5. It's a super little camera, feels so well built and robust, operates quickly and seems like a much more premium device. I've yet to test the Hi Res shooting mode but when I do I'll post my thoughts :)

Hi guys, quick question please. Don't really get on with the supplied Olympus Neck Straps for my EM1 and EM5 II (too stiff and gaudy). Has anyone got any ideas for a better neck strap and preferably one with quick release fittings so that I can take the strap off when on a tripod etc ?
I have been using a peak design leash (shoulder strap) and cuff (wrist strap). Quick to remove, very small and light, nice to be able to quickly swop from shoulder strap to wrist strap

I've always been wary about quick release systems - wouldn't it be just as easy for someone who knows how they work to take it from you?

I have been using a peak design leash (shoulder strap) and cuff (wrist strap). Quick to remove, very small and light, nice to be able to quickly swop from shoulder strap to wrist strap

plus one for the peak design, great strap and packs up nice and compact

There was an em10 on e-group for £285 earlier - may be sold now though..

I collect camera straps like I collect camera bags, and still haven't found one I really like! I think the main problem with both bags and straps is that there are no shops anywhere close by, where you can go and try before you buy. I always think somethink looks good, order it, and after using a few times, I start looking again.
So may I ask what makes Peak Design better than, or different from say a Black Rapid strap, please! Thanks all.

The peak design leash is the one i have, its nice and lightweight and doesn't take up much room if you have your camera in a bag. I find it comfy to wear all day with the em1 + grip +12-40 and you can wear a rucksack etc over the top of it with no problems. It doesn't do the slidy thing like the BR's do but its the strap I've kept for the longest.

I collect camera straps like I collect camera bags, and still haven't found one I really like! I think the main problem with both bags and straps is that there are no shops anywhere close by, where you can go and try before you buy. I always think somethink looks good, order it, and after using a few times, I start looking again.
So may I ask what makes Peak Design better than, or different from say a Black Rapid strap, please! Thanks all.

Same here,it's always seem like I end up with a compromise :(

Well, I now own a M43 lens (Samyang 7.5 fish eye) - so I guess I'd better make up my mind about a body (y)

I've already had 2x E-M5's and an E-M1 (plus a bunch of panasonic bodies) and am leaning toward an E-M5 Mk2 - but might snap up a cheap E-M5. Due to my dithering over Easter I wasn't able to take advantage of the £100 off at SRS on the mk2.

Anyone heard any rumours about Olympus promotions coming up?

The EM5 is a bargain at the moment no mistake but I'd still take an EM10 over one - I'm really enjoying mine - the only reason not to is if you're running it alongside an EM1 (for example) as the batteries are different.

It is for this reason only that I could see I might eventually change my EM10 for a 5mk2 but at the moment the cost difference is just massive and for me it isn't worth it. Yet.

Think I'm going to jump on a em10 when I see one at a good price. I'm enjoying the epl-5 but I'm missing the viewfinder if I'm honest.

With the ECG-1 grip attached the EM10 balances even the 40-150 pro lens.

In fact, if I'd bought the ECG-1 before ordering an EM1 I wouldn't have bothered as it is really comfy to hold. The only thing that means I'm happy to have the EM1 as well is the better AF but if you don't need that then the EM10 and grip offers everything at a much cheaper price point.

With the ECG-1 grip attached the EM10 balances even the 40-150 pro lens.

In fact, if I'd bought the ECG-1 before ordering an EM1 I wouldn't have bothered as it is really comfy to hold. The only thing that means I'm happy to have the EM1 as well is the better AF but if you don't need that then the EM10 and grip offers everything at a much cheaper price point.

I'm guessing the EM10 will have af equal to or better than the Epl-5 which I haven't had any issues with yet. It would be nice to have the all singing all dancing af and maybe down the line I might go that way (especially if the Nikon gear goes) but for now I'm quite happy with it.

I'm guessing the EM10 will have af equal to or better than the Epl-5 which I haven't had any issues with yet. It would be nice to have the all singing all dancing af and maybe down the line I might go that way (especially if the Nikon gear goes) but for now I'm quite happy with it.

Wouldn't know I'm afraid.

The EM10 is lightning quick on S-AF (lens depending) but it's continuous tracking is laughable. I never bother switching on C-AF.

This is why I bought an EM1 but it had to go back as the viewfinder was wonky. The EM1 is a lovely camera but when it first arrived I was a bit worried it was too big even though it is half the size of my D610! :LOL:

I did look at the em1 and though it looked a bit big considering I wanted a smaller camera....I'd maybe go the em5 ii route once the price drops a bit...quite a bit :)

The AF on the EM5ii is a fair bit better than the EM10 but other than that (and the amazing IS) I didn't feel the cost to change was justified.

What I wanted was the best Oly M4/3 camera to supplement my little EM10 and having tried them both a fair bit I came to the conclusion that the EM1 is still top of the pile so I ordered that.

Em5 is still a great camera and lots of good deals at the moment. I have just bought my wife an epl7 so when I need wifi or live composite ala em1/em10 I can borrow hers.
She now has 81 focus points and I only have 35. Oh the humiliation! Hehe

I totally agree on the M10 - really good with the grip, it really transforms it.

I'd sell mine but its just not worth it now the price has dropped here so badly - I think I must have been the last person to pay £400 for one :( Now I'd sooner just let my daughter play with it and use it as a backup or where I don't want to seem conspicuous with the larger M1.

@milster Check here out (link) I don't now them so cannot endorse but its seems a good price.

I have also become a huge fan of focus peeking and magnified view - don't think the EM5 has these?
No peaking as such but it definitely has magnified view as I have it set to my fn2 button.

I did look at the em1 and though it looked a bit big considering I wanted a smaller camera....I'd maybe go the em5 ii route once the price drops a bit...quite a bit :)
Em5 with grip back for sale in classified for £280. That's a great deal.

Guys still new to oly em5 anyone use the black and white jpeg setting or convert from raw also is it better to turn off the is if using a monopod?

Back