Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I really liked the p20 as it produces beautiful images but if there is any chance of you shooting in low light, it might frustrate you so I'd recommend the o25 over it.

The 40-150 is an underrated bargain - you can't go wrong with them. Ok, they're not "prime sharp" but plenty good enough I think.

I really liked the p20 as it produces beautiful images but if there is any chance of you shooting in low light, it might frustrate you so I'd recommend the o25 over it.

The 40-150 is an underrated bargain - you can't go wrong with them. Ok, they're not "prime sharp" but plenty good enough I think.

Cheers. Assume you mean the Panasonic 20mm? What is the low light issue?

I had read about a possible CA issue using Panasoic lenses on Olympus bodies. Any truth in that or internet non-story?

Or stretch your budget a bit and get a 12-40 / 12-35 and not bother changing lenses! :D (Guess who's selling a 12-40?)

The 14-150 isn't a bad superzoom either - you could go with that and maybe one 'normal' prime as a travel kit. But if you're a prime guy, then the lenses you have listed are definitely amongst the best bang-for-buck MFT has to offer (only one missing is the 45mm/1.8).

Cheers. Assume you mean the Panasonic 20mm? What is the low light issue?

I had read about a possible CA issue using Panasoic lenses on Olympus bodies. Any truth in that or internet non-story?
I never had any problems with banding. The issue is that the 20mm is slow to focus in low light. Shame, as in good light it's a fantastic lens.

Or stretch your budget a bit and get a 12-40 / 12-35 and not bother changing lenses! :D (Guess who's selling a 12-40?)

The 14-150 isn't a bad superzoom either - you could go with that and maybe one 'normal' prime as a travel kit. But if you're a prime guy, then the lenses you have listed are definitely amongst the best bang-for-buck MFT has to offer (only one missing is the 45mm/1.8).

Must admit I did briefly think about a 2.8 zoom but I quite fancy the subtlety of the little primes. 45mm looks nice though!

I never had any problems with banding. The issue is that the 20mm is slow to focus in low light. Shame, as in good light it's a fantastic lens.

Cheers. I suspect I'd be okay. No specific plans for low light stuff and if I do I'll likely be using a tripod.

The 45mm is awesome. It's the next one on my 4sale list for when Andy gives me custody of the 12-40

Hi Gad Westy,

I went to India a few years ago (2009) with nothing but my Nikon D80 and a 1.8 50mm lens, and some of my favorite ever photos still, were taken there. Such a great place to wonder around with a camera, so whatever you take I'm sure you'll have a great time!

In terms of lenses, a full compliment of the 3 oly primes would be a great choice.

But I really think the 12-40mm Pro is the ultimate travel lens. In reality it isn't *that* big, and having that focal range available quickly means you are more likely to get your shot.

One of the downsides to M4/3 I have found is the lower resolution meaning cropping is less desirable, so having reach is a bit more important. Things move VERY fast in India, so it is easy to miss that shot you have seen when changing lenses. There is so much going on right next to you and in the distance all at the same time, so the Pro is perfect.

I didn't really get frustrated by my one lens, because that was my only option and I worked around it, but if I had the choice, I would go with something a bit more flexible.

As someone else mentioned, it is going for £512 on that website new, which is a steal! A bit over budget, but worth it IMO, especially if this is a once in a lifetime trip.

I've just got back from holiday (nowhere as exotic as India!) and my most used lens was the Panasonic 12-35/2.8. I took a long zoom as well and used it a bit, but changing lenses was a pain and the 12-35 covered nearly everything I needed. The Oly 12-40 is a bit bigger and heavier, but obviously a good choice too.

Graham;
(1) What will you mostly be shooting?
(2) What lenses (in 35mm terms) do you mostly shoot with at "home".

Personally I would go with a "standard zoom" - (say a 12-50) this should take care of most "travel/vacation" pics in resonable light levels..
A fast (f2?) prime (17mm?) as a backup lens and for those hand held low light shots.
and a 40-150 (however it may not see a lot of use, unless you are in a national park etc).
I don't own any M43 primes (yet) and have never been to India.
One thing I would suggest is to take a spare battery.

Take LOTS of spare batteries.

One thing I notice as I'm travelling around with my EM1 & 12-40 is that even basic DSLRs (D3x00 / 600D etc) look mahoosive compaired to my kit. I wonder why people bother...

Today I saw a chap with two Nikon DSLRs, one with a 70-300vr and the other with a standard zoom and I thought that was rather brave in the 36 degree heat - he certainly looked to be feeling the strain.

So yes, the 12-40 is big by m4/3 standards but still small by any other...

12-40 incoming :D yay. So, that's a 7.5, 12-40, 25 1.8, the slow 40-150 and a 75-300 which should cover it ( once I sell the o45 )

I'm really tempted by the 17mm 1.8, really like the shots that come out of the panny 20mm but I'm finding it a bit long quite frequently. I do have the 9-18mm but I want something for general purpose for evenings while on holiday and I'm not sure the 9-18mm is fast enough.

I took the 12-40 f2.8 & 40-150 kit lens to Canada and I only used the 40 150 a few times for wildlife and macro

Last edited:
I have just returned from a short break used the 12-35 f2.8 mostly and took a Pana 45-175 mm which only got used once, I find that I can walk about all day with this kit + 2 spare batts and other odds and ends with no problems.

Hope that's of use to you.

just had an email from hdew - they have a sale on at the moment and have the 40-150 Pro at £ 825

Thanks folks. Sorry for not replying soon. Limited internet access here. I have made some progress. Have taken a punt on a 14mm 2.5 and 40-150 on ebay. £200 down so far! None of it yet arrived.

I really like the idea of the 45mm 1.8 but worried that leaves a huge hole between the 14mm prime and the 40mm short end of the zoom. Starting to think the 25mm 1.8 might make more sense but it's less exciting!

Actually, 2 out as I sold my 60mm macro too.

MPB aren't responding to my emails do I guess they don't want my 45 :(

The sigma 30mm and 60mm primes are great value and quality.
I have the original panasonic 14-45 zoom and that's a great kit lens if you fancy a zoom.
If you like wider shots, the Oly 9-18 would fit well with a 25 or 30 prime and tack on a longer zoom.
I really like the cheap-ish samyang 7.5mm fisheye, but it's probably a bit of a rare-use lens.
Just a few more options :)

I personally love my FE - I think it just needs consideration of the shot first.

Can't see me getting rid ( famous last words :) )

Back