Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Guildford today

Panorama_ocuk.jpg

Hi all, I've just ordered the EM5II with 12 40 pro ,60mm Macro and 75-300 and saving up for the 40-150. I'm based in Leeds so I,ll throw some pictures up once it arrives. I'm coming from the Fz1000 which I still use and I've just sold my Rx100 MK3

The decision of where to go next was a real pain, it was a toss up between EM1 EM5 II , Fuji XT or Full Frame.
Cost came into it so Oly won as I feel it's nicer and I can also traverse into LUMIX land.

My dad didn't approve as he's FF Nikon 800E and Sony A7 II but after doing macro with his my arms hurt LOL
Anyway back to it

Ted

When your pictures are just as good his, your dad will begin to understand.
When he notices you take your camera with you to more places than him, then its all over for his DSLR madness.

Ian ET AL QQ I want a small lens ie pancake for that time when I go out on my MTB and don't want to risk smashing the pro lens. Ive managed to get the 14-42 pancake, is that the best,option for small Usabel lens?

Ian ET AL QQ I want a small lens ie pancake for that time when I go out on my MTB and don't want to risk smashing the pro lens. Ive managed to get the 14-42 pancake, is that the best,option for small Usabel lens?
I'd prefer the 20mm/1.7 but I'm a prime kinda guy.

I like the 14-42 EZ myself and it is fine quality even the MF is good.

Ok so I've ordered the 14 42 as it will give me a bit more reach if needed...thanks

Appreciate it thanks, I did look at these but the pancake was as smal as I could get it with some reach, I could have gone for pure pancake but I might need a little more at some point.

Next buys if any will be 40. 150 then I don't know, prob have what I need now

Guys can I ask. A favour and seek advice. If one was new and buying 4/3 for the first time like me, and bought let's say EM5II or EM1, obviously it depends on what your favoured path is, portraits macros etc.. Let's say your doing it all, what would the de facto lens selection be

Can we start with Zuiko lens first then the Panasonic equivalent and state if the Panasonic variant is slightly better cheaper etc. I'm new as you all know, and bought a selection that I think would cater for my needs

Kit lens of sorts the 12-40 seems like the best do anything lens
Macro 60mm I know LUMIx do a smaller one but I was advised this was the better
75 300 for reach maybe not the best choice but what I could afford
Pancake 14 42 for travel.

Looking at the 3 variety on Olympus site you have budget, which I'm led to believe are dust and splash proof, then it's premium which I'm unsure are and pro which can get soaked.

What benefits do either have and are there any from premium that trump budget

Thanks

Basically the pro zoom lenses are the defacto choice if you want the best and bar a couple of oddities they are the only ones designated as dust and splash proof.

Of course, if you want shallower dof then you need the primes.

Kit lens of sorts the 12-40 seems like the best do anything lens
Panasonic make an equivalent 12-35/2.8. The Oly is obviously slightly longer but has no image stabilization, which is a factor if you're shooting on a Panasonic body (excluding the GX7)

the 60mm macro is lovely and sharp but not as quick to focus as other lenses - not ideal when you're shooting bugs. I was disappointed by mine and sold it with little use.

The 75-300 is good but needs loads of light at the long end - you can easily be up at ISO 4000 on a slightly cloudy day. From what I see, the Panny version appears to be slightly sharper and also a stop quicker at 300mm.

I started off with the O14-42, O45 and O75-300, then added the O60 and O40-150R. Then I sold the O14-42 and got the P20 and O25. Then I got the S7.5FE, sold the 060, P20 and 045 and got the O12-40

So, I'm left with S7.5FE, O12-40, O25,O40-150R and O75-300 which is fine. I'd like the 40-150 Pro but need to save some more first

Panasonic make an equivalent 12-35/2.8. The Oly is obviously slightly longer but has no image stabilization, which is a factor if you're shooting on a Panasonic body (excluding the GX7)

I went for the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 as it's smaller and lighter than the Oly 12-40/2.8. There are many comparison tests on the web which show they're very similar optically, and both excellent lenses.
The Oly 60 macro is very good, but as with any macro lens that can focus from infinity down to 1:1, it will be slow. That's why it has a switch to restrict the focus range as required. The Panasonic 45mm macro lens is also very good but in spite of being Leica glass seems to do worse than the Olympus in comparison tests. I've got both and find them both to be excellent.

Basically the pro zoom lenses are the defacto choice if you want the best.
You'll need to specify what 'best' means. Because as far as size goes, they are the worst.

Resulting in:
Pancake 14 42 for travel.

The PRO lenses can be very leave-at-homey at times. Where weather proofing is less important. (Except if you drink tea like I do.)

Last edited:
Thanks all, just got back from wildlife park at Doncaster don't know why I go there 30 quid in and all she does is play in playground lol.
Lots of canon and Nikon boys there today with the massive lens must have been 2ft long, I honestly couldn't be bothered, what's that giving them 600mm FF? All looked same length must be a standard massive thing LOL. They were polar bear shooting

Guys anyone recommend a good lens bag, ie some velvet felt affair, I have a Lowe pro bag but I'd like,something to pop the macro etc in got the first lens today but nowt to keep them in...

Lowepro make padded lens cases. You can also get neoprene ones from optech or knockoffs on Amazon/EBay.

Most of the time I'm looking for great landscape pictures on the web I come across Full Frame cams. D800, 5D2, 6D as most common ones.
Is there any other benefit to it than resolution for big prints or cropping? I guess same age sensors have a little bit more potential in DR and ISO noise?

Background: I have an older Full Frame model from canon and my next destiantion is new zealand. Its a landscape photographers dream and i am pondering about switching to Olympus, because its appr. half the weight and I see many positiv reviews on the net up to "you wont see a difference/better than 5 year old full frame sensors" I can'Ät figure it out if its "good enough" for me - especially with the new handling and learning involved (I can use my equip with closed eyes most of the time).

I've never had FF - maybe @minnnt can pop in as he has a FF Nikon now so perhaps can cast his mind back to when he had his e-m10

a FF sensor is no good if it's left where you're staying as it's too heavy. IMO for a serious enthusiast crop or m4/3 is easily good enough. You look at some of @damianmkv stuff with his EMwhatever to prove this!

Well it's not that my equipment is staying at home because its too heavy. Iam still in my best age :D
I just think... because if modern MFT is no real difference for landscape and travel in terms of IQ, then why bother with the weight? There are so many different opinions out there from "you won't see a difference in prints or monitor except 100% sometimes" to base iso noise is not acceptable for my likings...

And the fact that most semi professionals always use the large sensor for landscapes

I still need some FF stuff for the weddings and events i do (at least for now, because I'm used to it and know every button and have external flashes and stuff for it). So it wouldn't be a total switch but an addition...and an expensive one :)
Oh well...i guess i need to test it

FYI Camera Came today Panamoz 10/10 for service ordered Monday with me now, was in Dubai last night. No import charges or anything perfect working order... Now the fun starts. menu time.

If you check out some of the national geographic photography of the year shots, some are taken with cameras as lowly as a Canon 450D and you would never know this without printing LARGE (and probably not then, good job they show the exif)

Most pros use FF because they are the best dslr format (ignoring MF etc) and therefore if you make your living from it and you can afford it then why not? What most people stuck in m4/3 have realised is that although not the best it is good enough for pretty much anything, and the smaller sensors do have some advantages too.

Last edited:
Yes yes, we all know best is subjective but I thought it was reasonably explicit in the context of the question.

Guys me again, any specific hidden settings on the em5 I need to be aware of, I worked through the menus last night and changed some like

White balance had a weight towards warm I made that natural
Locked ISO settings to 200 and 4000, have noticed when I was talking pictures of my bedroom last night ISO was always at 4000 only ever dropped when I pointed it at the light, but very sensitive, any of you. Or use auto ISO and manually select it all the time.

Anything else?

Also HDR I noticed it's kinda slow when you take a HDR shot, compared to other cameras I've has they were quick doing their 3 shots but this is kinda slow and can blur more easily, any settings here to speed that up?

are you in aperture or shutter mode ? What lens are you using ?

Generally, I shoot with auto ISO as I can't be bothered faffing around, unless i'm using the tripod for a longer exposure

I'm mainly in either a or s, just been messing with the 60mm Macro and 12-40 pro, the ISO has dropped now its day so it was just me being paranoid.
Ive noticed the focus point is either all the squares or if i press the rear its a single.... anyway to have a grouping from just selecting the rear buttons, i.e. Centre weighted. i see in the Af menu on the rears there are 4 options for home.
  • All squares
  • centre
  • then some smaller one
  • then a group

reason i ask is on the Lumix u can have

Spot which i presume is the selection of a single square on the rear
49 points which is the left buttons and all squares green, however i don't see any for a centre weighted...

Before you say it yeah i need to read the 177 page manual :)

Most of the time I'm looking for great landscape pictures on the web I come across Full Frame cams. D800, 5D2, 6D as most common ones.
Is there any other benefit to it than resolution for big prints or cropping? I guess same age sensors have a little bit more potential in DR and ISO noise?

Background: I have an older Full Frame model from canon and my next destiantion is new zealand. Its a landscape photographers dream and i am pondering about switching to Olympus, because its appr. half the weight and I see many positiv reviews on the net up to "you wont see a difference/better than 5 year old full frame sensors" I can'Ät figure it out if its "good enough" for me - especially with the new handling and learning involved (I can use my equip with closed eyes most of the time).

Yor biggest problem is switching systems and getting used to a new camera in time to be able to use it intuitively enough so be careful as missed shots are a little annoying

I suggest you get to a shop and try out the Canon 6D (its is smaller than others) and then an OMD see what you think but take an SD card and take home some files. Have you considered the Sont R7 cameras.

I use an OMD E-M1 and an E-M5

Here is a three shot panaorama from the E-M1 with the 12-40 f2.8

Banff and the bow river by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a single shot from the E-M5 and 12-50 lens

Buttermere-dawn by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a shot taken with the E-M1 and a 4/3 12-60 lens at 01:50 in the morning

Moonlit-wasdale-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This was taken one handed with the E-M5 and 14-42 EZ pnacake zoom a very pocketable combination I had the E-M1 on a tripod and was holding the cable release when I toook this at 1/5 sec.

the-aproaching-sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Guys me again, any specific hidden settings on the em5 I need to be aware of, I worked through the menus last night and changed some like

White balance had a weight towards warm I made that natural
Locked ISO settings to 200 and 4000, have noticed when I was talking pictures of my bedroom last night ISO was always at 4000 only ever dropped when I pointed it at the light, but very sensitive, any of you. Or use auto ISO and manually select it all the time.

Anything else?
If you are in silent shutter (heart) mode, some things can't be activated. But I can't remember which off-hand. 32000 shutter perhaps? Anyway my tip is use the camera in loud mode all the time. Just set it to silent when you specifically need it.

Here is a detailed list of things to know and set up on the EM5 mk2. Be prepared to pause and play to step through the video. As it's a concentrated list of facts. And not for entertainment

Last edited:
Back