Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Olympus themselves reckon the 45mm is their sharpest lens [emoji106]

Nope, they actively state the new 300mm is their sharpest ever and that is close to a few others, none of which are the 45mm. For a while they said their 75mm was their sharpest but not the 45mm. It is as sharp as anyone could ever want though, razor.

For what it's worth, my 45mm is basically the same, in terms of sharpness in the centre, as my 12-40 but actually the zoom lens is better corner to corner, of course it doesn't do f/1.8.

Has anyone compared the Samyang 12mm f2 with the Olympus 12mm f2?

I would be interested to see how good the 10mm f2.8 is too I can live MF and manual appertures at these focal lengths for my needs.

I used a Canon 100 f2.8L macro quite a lot when I had dslr and just thought the 60mm on the Oly would be similar to that.

IMO the Manual focus lets the 60mm f2.8 down it focus by wire and I find it too slow but if you can live with back button focus and rocking it is very nice.

red admiral 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

frogghopper by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Leafhopper 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I do tend to use a 4/3 fit sigma 105 and a MMF3 adapter

Nope, they actively state the new 300mm is their sharpest ever and that is close to a few others, none of which are the 45mm. For a while they said their 75mm was their sharpest but not the 45mm. It is as sharp as anyone could ever want though, razor.

For what it's worth, my 45mm is basically the same, in terms of sharpness in the centre, as my 12-40 but actually the zoom lens is better corner to corner, of course it doesn't do f/1.8.
OK, well last year I was on an Olympus event and one of their ambassadors said that Olympus recognise that the 45 is their sharpest lens but, obviously, it's not in their interests to promote one of their 'cheaper' lenses over others!
Sorry I didn't qualify my comment previously!

IMO the Manual focus lets the 60mm f2.8 down it focus by wire and I find it too slow but if you can live with back button focus and rocking it is very nice.

red admiral 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

frogghopper by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Leafhopper 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I do tend to use a 4/3 fit sigma 105 and a MMF3 adapter
They are really good shorts Alf, which adaptor do you use with the Sigma? Maybe a better option than buying the Oly 60mm macro lens if the quality is this good.

They are really good shorts Alf, which adaptor do you use with the Sigma? Maybe a better option than buying the Oly 60mm macro lens if the quality is this good.
These are with the 60mm but you could use the canon 100 mm with an adapter in MF quite cheaply too.

Went out for a test with the new (to me) EM10 and EM1 this morning, a couple of shots I came back with. The first one is a blend of 3 manually bracketed shots on the EM10 and the second was a long exposure test with the EM1 with the noise reduction on. Although it doubles the exposure length it certainly makes a difference to the final shot.

EM10 Test by Gary Miller, on Flickr

EM1 Long Exposure with Noise Reduction On by Gary Miller, on Flickr

Went out for a test with the new (to me) EM10 and EM1 this morning, a couple of shots I came back with. The first one is a blend of 3 manually bracketed shots on the EM10 and the second was a long exposure test with the EM1 with the noise reduction on. Although it doubles the exposure length it certainly makes a difference to the final shot.

What are your thoughts Gary on how they compare?

They look good on my phone.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice shots Gary, can't wait to get out with mine next week - still waiting on the postie coming!

Seriously thinking of putting my 25 1.8, samyang fisheye and 14-42ex pancake lens in the classifieds, should raise enough for a second-hand 12-40.
Decisions decisions!

The EM10 is still far and away better without the noise reduction on but when they both have noise reduction on they are much more comparable, although the EM10 still edges it.

Would it beneficial to switch the noise reduction off even if you shoot raw?
Cheers

Put 3 lenses in the classifieds, if i get the right money for them it lools like the Oly 12-40 or possibly the 12-35 Panny will be my new purchase.

Put 3 lenses in the classifieds, if i get the right money for them it lools like the Oly 12-40 or possibly the 12-35 Panny will be my new purchase.
I would suggest the 12-40mm. Whilst lenses are interchangeable you don't get the lens corrections with Panny lenses on Olly bodies and vice versa AFAIK. IQ wise there's nothing in it (unless you're splitting hairs), so you may as well get the lens corrections and extra 5/10mm reach.

I would suggest the 12-40mm. Whilst lenses are interchangeable you don't get the lens corrections with Panny lenses on Olly bodies and vice versa AFAIK. IQ wise there's nothing in it (unless you're splitting hairs), so you may as well get the lens corrections and extra 5/10mm reach.
The Oly would be my preferred option but seems the Panny is smaller and slighly cheaper.

The Oly would be my preferred option but seems the Panny is smaller and slighly cheaper.
Don't know if you mind buying Grey but there is a company on Fleabay called Richmond Cameras who sell the 12-40 for £499.99. They are based in London (clues in the tile) & I've used them a few times and they're really good and give 3 years warranty. They are very responsive and helpful - that's if you wanted to buy new. Imo, not a bad price and worth looking into.

Don't know if you mind buying Grey but there is a company on Fleabay called Richmond Cameras who sell the 12-40 for £499.99. They are based in London (clues in the tile) & I've used them a few times and they're really good and give 3 years warranty. They are very responsive and helpful - that's if you wanted to buy new. Imo, not a bad price and worth looking into.

Cheers, think it will be grey or one from this forum or the e group forum.

Does anyone use the power battery grip on their EM1? If so, do you use the Oly HLD-7 or a third party one as there seems to be a lot of different ones to pick from?
I always used one on DSLR but wondered if you think they're worth adding or not.

I don't bother - the em1 and 12-40 are pretty well balanced.

I have a few spare ex-pro batteries when needed

Does anyone use the power battery grip on their EM1? If so, do you use the Oly HLD-7 or a third party one as there seems to be a lot of different ones to pick from?
I always used one on DSLR but wondered if you think they're worth adding or not.

I use the HLD-7. Despite the fact the EM1 has a reasonable grip already it just makes it even more comfortable. Normally if I'm off on holiday or with family I'll leave the grip at home, but if I'm out photographing just by myself then I'll use it because I don't mind the extra bulk (coming from a dslr) as I prefer the comfort and stability it brings. I love the flexibility to choose my preferred size/weight each time - from a small body with prime to gripped EM1 with 40-150 pro - I can take the best combo for job. This is one of the major strengths of the system, and in my mind having the grip plays into that, which is why I bought one.

The grip really balances the 40-150 perfectly and I find it makes the camera sit more comfortably against my body too. That said, I don't normally use it.

I have the Oly HLD-7 which I picked up cheap in Tokyo, otherwise I'd have no qualms of getting a Meike or suchlike

My E-M1 has the HLD-7 fitted most of the time except on the odd occasion when I go minimal and take a couple of primes with me on a business trip or short break.
I like the extra battery capacity and it balances well with both the 40-150 (+MC-14) and 12-40 Pro lenses.

The grip really balances the 40-150 perfectly and I find it makes the camera sit more comfortably against my body too. That said, I don't normally use it.

I have the Oly HLD-7 which I picked up cheap in Tokyo, otherwise I'd have no qualms of getting a Meike or suchlike
I assume this is the 40-150mm f2.8? I keep toying with getting a grip for my EM5-II to use with the 12-40mm but they're so damn expensive, and don't really have an issue using it without but if they were cheaper would give it a go to see if it's better.

I assume this is the 40-150mm f2.8? I keep toying with getting a grip for my EM5-II to use with the 12-40mm but they're so damn expensive, and don't really have an issue using it without but if they were cheaper would give it a go to see if it's better.

Yes, the 40-150 Pro.

I used the 12-40 on my EM10 and although I had the grip for it I didn't really bother using it, yes it made it balance a little better but it didn't need it. If I only had an EM5ii I would get the grip but that's only so I could use it with the 40-150.

Like others I use the grip a lot on the E-M1 when out shooting with my main camera bag etc or when I am using my Sigma 105 ymacro lens.
When on holiday or out walking around and going a city I dont use the grip.
I dont have a grip for the E-M5mkII it like it set up small.
I am looking at using the E-M5mkII when I go to New York in April.

Thanks for all comments re the grip for EM1 - I'll have look around at the options although having spent a fair bit on Oly kit, I might as well eat jam & bread for a while and get the HLD-7, I'm a bit of an originalist if that's even a word :thinking:

Back