Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

When I started on m43, I got a lot of top quality help from the members at mu43.com forum.

I have the 12-50. Which, apart from the fact that it's bigger than the other kit zooms and it's less than smooth feeling zoom operation, I find very good. It's only half a stop less than the 12-40 at the wide end, is splash proof, and has a handy macro mode. I don't use the power zoom. But if you were into video, it would be useful. The price is way better too.

Last edited:
When I started on m43, I got a lot of top quality help from the members at mu43.com forum.

I have the 12-50. Which, apart from the fact that it's bigger than the other kit zooms and it's less than smooth feeling zoom operation, I find very good. It's only half a stop less than the 12-40 at the wide end, is splash proof, and has a handy macro mode. I don't use the power zoom. But if you were into video, it would help too.
That's a really helpful endorsement, thank you for that.

I can't compare it with the 12-40 for image quality though, as that one is out of my price range. And a bit big. But I can compare it on price!
Yes price difference is massive as I found out! Not sure I need it really as from what I've seen of the 12-50, that would probably be sufficient for me. I bought the 60mm macro as well and am now thinking I could get just as much from the one 12-50 as the 12-40 & 60mm put together. I've got a 45 f1.8 and a 75-300 so maybe that would do.
I may then get a half decent DSLR again with the spoils and have both systems again...I just can't settle only having the M43 system alone after so many years with my Canon's. Might even consider a switch to Nikon as their bodies seem to be creeping ahead of the pack now, especially as wildlife is my main interest.
Think it's time for stock take! Decisions decisions, this hobby never stops confusing me!

That's a very comprehensive run through and I really appreciate it. I'm new to M43 having only recently acquired my system and I went for the EM1 / 12-40 kit package and some other lenses, having looked through many posts here and reviews. I'm finding the whole thing pretty daunting at the moment, the camera is no doubt a great piece of kit but the menu & features are so complicated for me - maybe because I'm so used to Canon DSLR which I am very familiar with and know like the back of my hand, at least up to my own abilities and photographic style.
I'm hoping I can sort my way through it at some point but am feeling that I've made a mistake and should have stayed with the 'big stuff'!
The reason I was asking about the lenses is that IF I decide to chop this lot in and go back to DSLR, I may consider a lesser M43 system but it's all hypothetical at the moment.
I really want this to work but it's going to be an expensive 'point and shoot' system if I don't get on with setting it up properly!
Is it purely the 'complexity' menu system that's making you want to swap back, or are there other things too. I've personally never had an issue swapping systems having swapped from Sony to Olympus to Nikon + olympus and have 'played' with a lot of different cameras too, however the Olympus menus are by far the least intuitive to use imo. However, once the camera is set up and you've assigned all the Fn buttons to something that you want then Olies are a joy to use, and I rarely have to delve into the menus now. I find enabling the super control panel (SCP) very handy. I'm sure it's a case of lack of familiarity and once you've got past that you'll realise that the Olly camera is no more complex than any other higher end body.

Agreed. Once set up, use the SCP and everything is to hand

Hope i'm doing the right thing getting the 12-40, had to sell 14-42 and the 25mm to fund the purchase! Time will tell i suppose.

My 12-40 is on the body 90% of the time, it's a great all rounder and I think it's sharp - mine is actually sharper than my 25

Well if you bought a used or grey one should not loose very much if you do decide to sell the 12-40 on. From what I've seen there's a good market for used lenses

Yes good point, they do seem to sell well.

Is it purely the 'complexity' menu system that's making you want to swap back, or are there other things too. I've personally never had an issue swapping systems having swapped from Sony to Olympus to Nikon + olympus and have 'played' with a lot of different cameras too, however the Olympus menus are by far the least intuitive to use imo. However, once the camera is set up and you've assigned all the Fn buttons to something that you want then Olies are a joy to use, and I rarely have to delve into the menus now. I find enabling the super control panel (SCP) very handy. I'm sure it's a case of lack of familiarity and once you've got past that you'll realise that the Olly camera is no more complex than any other higher end body.
Thanks for the encouragement, to be honest it probably is just pre match nerves. I love the feel and build quality of the camera, and the lenses generally seem pretty good too. I had to jump ship really because the weight of my DSLR was getting me down and my photography appetite suffered too so moving across the the M43 was my way to get my enthusiasm back and I think I maybe was missing my old kit and getting a bit melancholy about it.
As you have said, all high end cameras are a challenge at first but the end game is worth the effort.
I'm not going to rush into things, not usually my way but I have to give this a fair crack before I do anything rash.
I'll keep familiarising myself with all the features and see how it goes.
I bought a book on the EM1 as well, 'Mastering The EM1' by Darrel Young so hopefully that will help!
Thanks again for the advice and pep talk :)

I do understand - when i came from Nikon, I thought "omg - where is everything on this bloody camera. What have I done" but then I took a few shots - instant focus, incredibly sharp and my concerns went away.

I do understand - when i came from Nikon, I thought "omg - where is everything on this bloody camera. What have I done" but then I took a few shots - instant focus, incredibly sharp and my concerns went away.
Yep, that pretty much sums up my situation up but after you guys giving me the encouraging advice, I'm determined to get this sorted now and stop being a prat basically!
Thanks again, I appreciate everything.

My 12-40 is on the body 90% of the time, it's a great all rounder and I think it's sharp - mine is actually sharper than my 25
Maybe I'm expecting too much then, or maybe it's lens variation, but when I look at these holiday snaps they're not as sharp as the holiday snaps I used to take with my old Sony A77 with 16-50mm f2.8

KOS 2015 by TDG-77, on Flickr
P3280277a by TDG-77, on Flickr

they look pretty nice to me, were they jpegs right out of the camera or raw files and then manipulated in ps?
Thanks, maybe I'm being overly picky then, it's been known before. I always shoot RAW so they were processed in lightroom. I don't do a lot though, usually a contrast boost, tweak whites and blacks and add a bit of sharpening.

I had a look on Flickr at them both and I can't see anything wrong with them, Toby. Are you looking at 100% or 200% or is it a feel or ? Olympus lenses can be a bit clinical

Hope that doesn't come across funny - I'm not trying to be, just trying to understand what you're not liking

Thanks for the encouragement, to be honest it probably is just pre match nerves. I love the feel and build quality of the camera, and the lenses generally seem pretty good too. I had to jump ship really because the weight of my DSLR was getting me down and my photography appetite suffered too so moving across the the M43 was my way to get my enthusiasm back and I think I maybe was missing my old kit and getting a bit melancholy about it.
As you have said, all high end cameras are a challenge at first but the end game is worth the effort.
I'm not going to rush into things, not usually my way but I have to give this a fair crack before I do anything rash.
I'll keep familiarising myself with all the features and see how it goes.
I bought a book on the EM1 as well, 'Mastering The EM1' by Darrel Young so hopefully that will help!
Thanks again for the advice and pep talk :)

Here's a resource that you might useful to help configure your E-M1 Chris.
http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html

As promised this morning, taken with my EM-5ii settings f/4.5, ISO200, 1/200 shutter

Straight from camera;
ICC - P7210659 -small.jpg

This is ediited in Lightroom & Elements 12

ICC - P7210659-HDR-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a look on Flickr at them both and I can't see anything wrong with them, Toby. Are you looking at 100% or 200% or is it a feel or ? Olympus lenses can be a bit clinical

Hope that doesn't come across funny - I'm not trying to be, just trying to understand what you're not liking
Not coming across funny at all :) I rarely view at 100%, just when applying sharpening as it's always recommended to view 1:1. I must admit on occasion I do lazy sharpening though ;)

I don't find Olly lenses to be clinical tbh, I like the look from them. I just don't find it as razor sharp as my Nikon 18-35mm G, or the Sony I mentioned, but as you can see it's not bad at all. Maybe is because it's billed as a pro lens I expect it to be as sharp as a sharp thing :p As I said I'm hyper critical :oops: :$

Thanks, maybe I'm being overly picky then, it's been known before. I always shoot RAW so they were processed in lightroom. I don't do a lot though, usually a contrast boost, tweak whites and blacks and add a bit of sharpening.

Do you process shots difefrently from different cameras?
I have had to change the way I process from my Oly DSLR to the OMD's

Do you process shots difefrently from different cameras?
I have had to change the way I process from my Oly DSLR to the OMD's
I don't have a set method as such, just do what looks best to my eyes for each set of images. Interesting that you say you've had to change, in what way's this? Perhaps I'm not getting the best out of my PP.

I don't have a set method as such, just do what looks best to my eyes for each set of images. Interesting that you say you've had to change, in what way's this? Perhaps I'm not getting the best out of my PP.

The files are totally different so I need to up the WB much sometimes and the same with saturation and vibrance in PS.
I still getting to grips with LR too and I and trying to suss sharpening especially with macro shots.

Last edited:
Thisis a set up I have trying out it gives up to 3X magnification about 6mm across the frame.

This is my Olympus OMD E-M5 MKII with 60mm f2.8 macro lens 3 Kooka extensions tubes 48mm in total and a Raynox DCR250 and a Nissin Di466 with homemade diffuser.

Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This was taken with this set up I

Orchesella cincta juvenile by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is an uncropped shot with this set up

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The files are totally different so I need to up the WB much sometimes and the same with saturation and vibrance in PS.
I still getting to grips with LR too and I and trying to suss sharpening especially with macro shots.
Ahh right, yeah those things are always different from system to system so as I said I generally just tweak to what looks right to my eye. I find that I even change things differently from lens to lens.

Last edited:

I'm very dubious about LR's sharpening algorithms. It was a while before I noticed that LR's standard sharpening amount of 25 which was being automatically applied to my E-P5 files resulted in a slight graininess to the images. Now I start with zero sharpening and, when I need to, add it very carefully to the edges only. It's made quite a difference to how I feel about the E-P5 images. I went back to old EP-3, E-M5 and E-M1 images and found the same effect.

Also, the Huelight profiles for the mu43 cameras are more pleasing to me than the standard Adobe profile.

Last edited:
I'm very dubious about LR's sharpening algorithms. It was a while before I noticed that LR's standard sharpening amount of 25 which was being automatically applied to my E-P5 files resulted in a slight graininess to the images. Now I start with zero sharpening and, when I need to, add it very carefully to the edges only. It's made quite a difference to how I feel about the E-P5 images. I went back to old EP-3, E-M5 and E-M1 images and found the same effect.

Also, the Huelight profiles for the mu43 cameras are more pleasing to me than the standard Adobe profile.
My biggest bug bear with LR sharpening is on export. Sometimes if you apply a lot of sharpening (for whatever reason) the exported image looks soft but as you zoom in it suddenly sharpens. So for example at full screen it's soft, zoom in 10% it's soft, zoom in 20% it's soft, zoom in 30% and snap it sharpens up (not sure of the exact percentage zoom, those numbers are for illustration only ;)). I question this on another forum and no-one else has seen it and said I was imagining it ;) But I did find a thread on the adobe site and it is a known phenomena and something to do with their algorithms (can't remember what now). Fortunately I don't get it much/at all now as I don't have to sharpen my images so much these days since my technique has improved.

My biggest bug bear with LR sharpening is on export. Sometimes if you apply a lot of sharpening (for whatever reason) the exported image looks soft but as you zoom in it suddenly sharpens. So for example at full screen it's soft, zoom in 10% it's soft, zoom in 20% it's soft, zoom in 30% and snap it sharpens up (not sure of the exact percentage zoom, those numbers are for illustration only ;)). I question this on another forum and no-one else has seen it and said I was imagining it ;) But I did find a thread on the adobe site and it is a known phenomena and something to do with their algorithms (can't remember what now). Fortunately I don't get it much/at all now as I don't have to sharpen my images so much these days since my technique has improved.

That is a puzzler. Can't say I've ever noticed but it probably depends on a zillion things: system, graphics card, jpeg rendering engine etc. Are you on mac or PC?

That is a puzzler. Can't say I've ever noticed but it probably depends on a zillion things: system, graphics card, jpeg rendering engine etc. Are you on mac or PC?
Mac. Yep baffled me too, just had to accept that it did it. Glad I found the thread on adobe though as I was starting to think I was cracking up :LOL: As I said though, I've not had it for a long time now.

Mac. Yep baffled me too, just had to accept that it did it. Glad I found the thread on adobe though as I was starting to think I was cracking up :LOL: As I said though, I've not had it for a long time now.

Mac here too. I've tried it and can't see it - my photos just look fabulous however much I zoom in ;)

Mac here too. I've tried it and can't see it - my photos just look fabulous however much I zoom in ;)
I have the opposite problem - my photos look rubbish however much I zoom into them :D

Actually I'm a Mac user too and I've noticed the fuzzy/sharp issue snerkler mentioned. I assumed it was just down to graphics rendering and never worried about it.

Well chaps, i should have the 12-40 in my hands in 24hrs time. Hoping its worth the money, i got it for a decent price so shouldnt loose too much on it. Now i just need to resist the EM1, at least until the mkll comes out anyway!

Thisis a set up I have trying out it gives up to 3X magnification about 6mm across the frame.

This is my Olympus OMD E-M5 MKII with 60mm f2.8 macro lens 3 Kooka extensions tubes 48mm in total and a Raynox DCR250 and a Nissin Di466 with homemade diffuser.

Macro rigg E M5II by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This was taken with this set up I

Can I ask how you're holding your flash there? Is it some kind of c bracket? Cheers

Gary it is one of these I need something that does not move as easily though as every now then I need to repsoition it but for the money what can you expect. I use a lastolite 3m cable too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/C-Shape-2...138665?hash=item1c5dfff0a9:g:okMAAOSwbdpWaBXG

I had something very similar but it struggled holding my big heavy Nikon flash....Not sure what I've done with it now. I'll have to re-buy something and hopefully it'll be better for the smaller and lighter Nissin i40 I've got coming.

Also, how do you find the Olympus macro lens? At the moment I've kept hold of my Nikon fit Tamron 90mm to see how I go with that with an adapter, on initial tests I'm quite liking the extra distance to subject I'm getting. Not overly sure how I'm liking the guess work involved in the aperture stakes though.

I had something very similar but it struggled holding my big heavy Nikon flash....Not sure what I've done with it now. I'll have to re-buy something and hopefully it'll be better for the smaller and lighter Nissin i40 I've got coming.

Also, how do you find the Olympus macro lens? At the moment I've kept hold of my Nikon fit Tamron 90mm to see how I go with that with an adapter, on initial tests I'm quite liking the extra distance to subject I'm getting. Not overly sure how I'm liking the guess work involved in the aperture stakes though.

You should be able to use the Tamron stopped down in all but the darkest conditions if you set the EVF correctly not quite sure how to but the aperture works on my 4/3 Sigma 105 and yeah the distance is good.

Initially I did not get on at all with the 60mm f2.8 as the AF is not great and the MF which focus by wire is too slow IMO but when working at 3X mag I move the camera and leave the fcous set to 1:1 with the camera set for back button focus. I have had much better success with the back button focus using S-AF MF and rockingh to get final focus.

Back