Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Al
The no lens approach will hinder things.
What are you aiming to shoot and how lightweight do you need to be. All M4/3 lenses will fit.
The 12-40 f2.8 pro is a great lens but it adds some bulk and weight and will eat that budget.
I am not a prime user myself.

Hi Alf

It will principally be family - my prime interest is in wildlife photography, but I think (bar the photos above) I will use my 40D for that. So people I guess, landscapes periodically when we are out and about. The features in the camera may make me review some of this - prime motivation is camera when out with the family and then see how we go from there, maybe sell some of my Canon gear dependant on how it goes.

I don't mind zooms, and I looked at the 12-40 but I think that will more that eat into my budget, even second hand.

Thanks

Al

Hello all.

I've just taken the plunge on a second hand but almost new OM-D 5MK2, partly inspired by this thread. I've only ever owner Canon and bought Canon lenses and the odd Sigma to go with it.

At this stage I have no lenses however, which I understand can be a hindrance in the image taking department.

I have gone for this system for the portability side mainly, though some of the features seem well in advance of my 40D. So lenses wise, is there is anything I should think about, I am little confused about what can fit....will any Micro 4/3rds lens fit? ....and Iwould also welcome any of your favourites lenses (irrespective of my requirements). I will mainly be using this for family trips out, the commute in and basically all the times I use my phone currently because I'm not taking my 40D out. The Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm seem to be well regarded and relatively lightweight and would fit in my £500 budget for lenses. Before I take the plunge on those if you have any favourites please let me know.

I never thought these might be used for birds in flight, so am amazed by some of the shots above!

Thanks

Al
If I was to choose one general lens for Olympus m4/3 it would be the 12-40mm f2.8 without question. In terms of sharpness it's not 'that' much sharper than the 14-42mm but overall it renders nicer images imo, plus you get the f2.8. On top of that it just feels nice to use, and along with the EM5-II will be weathersealed meaning that it doesn't matter if you get caught out by the weather. I've been caught out with my old EM5-II with the 12-40mm in pretty heavy rain without issue.

As for the other lenses you mentioned both the 20mm F1.7 and 45mm F1.8 are really nice and extremely great value. They're not the sharpest primes out there wide open but they're pretty darn good. I picked up a reasonable condition 45mm for around £100,... bargain.

The 9-18mm is another nice lens, gives very nice images and is small and light. As a general lens it doesn't have the flexibility of the 12-40mm imo. The 12-40mm is good for landscapes, portraits, general photos, low light, and you can even get some shallow ish DOF if you try ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: akr
If I was to choose one general lens for Olympus m4/3 it would be the 12-40mm f2.8 without question. In terms of sharpness it's not 'that' much sharper than the 14-42mm but overall it renders nicer images imo, plus you get the f2.8. On top of that it just feels nice to use, and along with the EM5-II will be weathersealed meaning that it doesn't matter if you get caught out by the weather. I've been caught out with my old EM5-II with the 12-40mm in pretty heavy rain without issue.

As for the other lenses you mentioned both the 20mm F1.7 and 45mm F1.8 are really nice and extremely great value. They're not the sharpest primes out there wide open but they're pretty darn good. I picked up a reasonable condition 45mm for around £100,... bargain.

The 9-18mm is another nice lens, gives very nice images and is small and light. As a general lens it doesn't have the flexibility of the 12-40mm imo. The 12-40mm is good for landscapes, portraits, general photos, low light, and you can even get some shallow ish DOF if you try ;)
How do these compare to FF for low light ?
Need low light capabilities, would prefer smaller but......

Last edited:
Hello all.

I've just taken the plunge on a second hand but almost new OM-D 5MK2, partly inspired by this thread. I've only ever owner Canon and bought Canon lenses and the odd Sigma to go with it.

At this stage I have no lenses however, which I understand can be a hindrance in the image taking department.

I have gone for this system for the portability side mainly, though some of the features seem well in advance of my 40D. So lenses wise, is there is anything I should think about, I am little confused about what can fit....will any Micro 4/3rds lens fit? ....and Iwould also welcome any of your favourites lenses (irrespective of my requirements). I will mainly be using this for family trips out, the commute in and basically all the times I use my phone currently because I'm not taking my 40D out. The Panasonic 20mm and Olympus 45mm seem to be well regarded and relatively lightweight and would fit in my £500 budget for lenses. Before I take the plunge on those if you have any favourites please let me know.

I never thought these might be used for birds in flight, so am amazed by some of the shots above!

Thanks

Al

If you are looking for portability, you could always get the M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ lens and add on the auto lens cap. The secondhand prices are reasonable. Then you can get the Olympus 45mm if you want a prime for portraits and take a look at the M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 for a cheap sharp telephoto

Thanks @Dave Semmens and @alfbranch and @snerkler .

I think the 9-18 may be one for the future, I'll need something longer to start with - thanks for the suggestion (y) . I have seen a (well used) 12-40 for £500, hmmm decisions decisions, it looks very tempting, I'd looked but written it off budget wise. In 2 minds whether to get this or 2 primes for faster apertures for about the same price, or just one prime. The sensible choice is probably the 12-40 - I shall mull it over for the next couple of hours and try not to procrastinate till the end of time. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

If you are looking for portability, you could always get the M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ lens and add on the auto lens cap. The secondhand prices are reasonable. Then you can get the Olympus 45mm if you want a prime for portraits and take a look at the M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 for a cheap sharp telephoto

Thanks @alsuser . I'm genuinely confused what to do! I do want small, portable, lowish f numbers though. I think I'd rather have less range now and get more lenses further down the line, especially if I start to trade in some of my Canon kit.I guess that's what I like about primes, though the zoom lenses mentioned do look quite small.

I think the 9-18 may be one for the future, I'll need something longer to start with - thanks for the suggestion (y) . I have seen a (well used) 12-40 for £500, hmmm decisions decisions, it looks very tempting, I'd looked but written it off budget wise. In 2 minds whether to get this or 2 primes for faster apertures for about the same price, or just one prime. The sensible choice is probably the 12-40 - I shall mull it over for the next couple of hours and try not to procrastinate till the end of time. Thanks all for your help and suggestions.
The 12-40 is a lovely sharp lens. When I bought mine I was planning to sell on my primes that were covered in the range. It is really sharp, quick and never fails me and it stays on my camera for most of the time. However the primes do have a really distinctive look in comparison to the rather clinical 12-40. I don't know if it is the shorter aperture or what but there is a difference. not what you want to hear when you are deciding no doubt! Sorry :)

How do these compare to FF for low light ?
Need low light capabilities, would prefer smaller but......
M4/3 can't compete in low light with FF (comparing similar age tech). I'm pretty loathed to go above 3400 ISO on my m4/3 but will use 12800 ISO on my D750.

I was comparing the low light advantage of the 12-40mm compared to the 14-42mm, 12-32mm etc. The 12-40mm is 2 stops faster at the long end.

I've seen good used 12-40's going for under £500 but haven't kept an eye on prices in the past few couple of months.

The 12-40 is a lovely sharp lens. When I bought mine I was planning to sell on my primes that were covered in the range. It is really sharp, quick and never fails me and it stays on my camera for most of the time. However the primes do have a really distinctive look in comparison to the rather clinical 12-40. I don't know if it is the shorter aperture or what but there is a difference. not what you want to hear when you are deciding no doubt! Sorry :)
I can't say I've ever thought the 12-40mm looks clinical tbh, I think it renders rather nice (y)

You can buy grey for just under £500.

Or join e-group.uk.net as they come up under £500 quite often on there

M4/3 can't compete in low light with FF (comparing similar age tech). I'm pretty loathed to go above 3400 ISO on my m4/3 but will use 12800 ISO on my D750.

I was comparing the low light advantage of the 12-40mm compared to the 14-42mm, 12-32mm etc. The 12-40mm is 2 stops faster at the long end.

I've seen good used 12-40's going for under £500 but haven't kept an eye on prices in the past few couple of months.
Thanks was wondering to what extent, love the features, size etc but I think FF will be the only option

You can buy grey for just under £500.

Or join e-group.uk.net as they come up under £500 quite often on there
Yep, one up at the moment for £360 in good condition and one at £430 in excellent condition.

Hello all.

Thanks

Al

I recently purchased a em10 ii which came with the 14-42 ez lens. If I'm honest I wasn't expecting much from that lens and I've only used it in good light and it's exceeded my expectations. The other lens I bought was the Panasonic 45-150 for just over £100 and it's really small and great image quality.

I'm sure that the 12-40 will be superior but the size of the ez was the reason I bought that lens. If you do go for the 12-40 then you may be better if buying grey and I've used these a few times before and no problems https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/202...ens_in_black?gclid=CJTN4ujnmtMCFRGNGwodfLkFwg

I can't say I've ever thought the 12-40mm looks clinical tbh, I think it renders rather nice (y)
Clinical is maybe the wrong word. Maybe I'm just lazy when I shoot with a zoom and I have to try harder with a prime so there is a difference there? I don't know

I decided to go with some secondhand primes in the end, which, unless I lose or break them, means I can hopefully resell them for about the same if I want to swap to a zoom, or something else. I've ordered (hopefully) the 60mm F2.8 ED Macro M.Zuiko (Olympus) and the 25mm F1.4 DG Summilux (Panasonic\Leica). We'll see how we go with them, hoping they will arrive Thursday. I have a feeling I may swap the 25mm for the 12-40 a a later stage but let's see.

I recently purchased a em10 ii which came with the 14-42 ez lens. If I'm honest I wasn't expecting much from that lens and I've only used it in good light and it's exceeded my expectations. The other lens I bought was the Panasonic 45-150 for just over £100 and it's really small and great image quality.

I'm sure that the 12-40 will be superior but the size of the ez was the reason I bought that lens. If you do go for the 12-40 then you may be better if buying grey and I've used these a few times before and no problems https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/202...ens_in_black?gclid=CJTN4ujnmtMCFRGNGwodfLkFwg
The E-M10ii and 14-42 EZ must be great together.
I haven't used my 14-42 EZ much lately but it a very nice little lens.

Well my E-M5II is away getting repaired as it would not switch off.
My E-M1 decided to stop working and the shutter stuck closed so both were sent for repair.

Well my E-M5II is away getting repaired as it would not switch off.
My E-M1 decided to stop working and the shutter stuck closed so both were sent for repair.

:( That's bad timing blimey. Hope at least 1 is back to you soon!

:( That's bad timing blimey. Hope at least 1 is back to you soon!
Well its got me doing something different for sure.
I have been shooting with my Olympus OM2sp I have some film to get developed now.

Here is an E-M55II with the 14-42 EZ and an E-M1 with the 12-40

1 & 5 comparison by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is my E-M5II with 9-18 and my OM2sp

E-M5II compared to OM2sp 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Another lens to consider is the 12-50 ez

Standard zooms by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I decided to go with some secondhand primes in the end, which, unless I lose or break them, means I can hopefully resell them for about the same if I want to swap to a zoom, or something else. I've ordered (hopefully) the 60mm F2.8 ED Macro M.Zuiko (Olympus) and the 25mm F1.4 DG Summilux (Panasonic\Leica). We'll see how we go with them, hoping they will arrive Thursday. I have a feeling I may swap the 25mm for the 12-40 a a later stage but let's see.

There's a 12-40 listed there now at £410, described as mint. Too late I guess

Here is an E-M55II with the 14-42 EZ and an E-M1 with the 12-40

1 & 5 comparison by Alf Branch, on Flickr

by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Thanks - the 12-40 comparison is really interesting - quite a difference

There's a 12-40 listed there now at £410, described as mint. Too late I guess

Too late now, but thank you for looking. I had a look after you first mentioned the site, but I think they had all gone, but in the end I could not decide between the primes and zoom, and opted for the former. It's a grass is always greener problem I think!

Thanks - the 12-40 comparison is really interesting - quite a difference

Too late now, but thank you for looking. I had a look after you first mentioned the site, but I think they had all gone, but in the end I could not decide between the primes and zoom, and opted for the former. It's a grass is always greener problem I think!
There's no denying the size/weight difference between the 12-40mm and 14-42mm EZ is marked. My very first Olly was the EM10 with 14-42mm and even that small combo was too big to comfortably fit into a pocket. Certainly would only fit in coat pocket and even then you could feel the weight as you walked around. I soon realised that I preferred carrying it around on a sling strap, not only for the weight but also because the camera was always ready to go. On a trip to London it soon coat tiresome taking it in and out of my pocket (especially as the eyepiece would snag on something) and constantly putting on and removing the lens cap. On sling strap you really can't tell the difference in weight. OK you can, but it's insignificant imo.

I guess it depends on how you plan on carrying the camera. On a neck strap the difference will be more noticeable, and obviously with the 12-40mm there's absolutely no way it'll fit into any coat pocket (at least any 'normal' coat ;)), but if you use sling straps then the 12-40mm definitely makes sense over the 14-42mm imo.

Hi guys, I'm new to photography and this forum, I just want to introduce myself and say I purchased an OMD em10 mark ii and I love it, it's my first camera and I main got it for street photography. What lens would anyone recommend for street photography for the great little cameras?

Hi guys, I'm new to photography and this forum, I just want to introduce myself and say I purchased an OMD em10 mark ii and I love it, it's my first camera and I main got it for street photography. What lens would anyone recommend for street photography for the great little cameras?
For street would recommend the 17 1.8 it's fast sharp and gives you more or less a 35mm equivalent. There's one for sale in the forums at the minute.

Last edited:
Avocet by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Taken at Slimbridge using Em1 mk2, and the Zuiko 75-300mm lens.

Is it me or the lens?? Shot was taken at 20 yards maybe,1/1250, f7.1, and iso 500, and handheld. ISIS (Image Stabilisation!!) was set to auto.

Disappointed with the lack of feather detail, and this shot is just one of the 400 odd shots taken.

Normally (transport wise) I use the Panasonic 100-400mm with the Em1, and tend to get MUCH better results.

Don't want to blame the tools, but am getting the feeling that this lens (maybe just mine) is not so good...............

Last edited:
The 20mm f1.7 is a great option for street photography, very compact with great IQ and 40mm eq is a great FL for street.

Avocet by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Taken at Slimbridge using Em1 mk2, and the Zuiko 75-300mm lens.

Is it me or the lens?? Shot was taken at 20 yards maybe,1/1250, f7.1, and iso 500, and handheld. ISIS (Image Stabilisation!!) was set to auto.

Disappointed with the lack of feather detail, and this shot is just one of the 400 odd shots taken.

Normally (transport wise) I use the Panasonic 100-400mm with the Em1, and tend to get MUCH better results.

Don't want to blame the tools, but am getting the feeling that this lens (maybe just mine) is not so good...............
ISIS?????? :eek:

Looking at your other 3 shots on flickr you've taken with lens 2 out of 3 are poor. Clearly the lens can take sharp images, so it's either user error, some issue with it and IBIS :)p) or some intermittent fault with the lens. There is some thought that at fast shutter speeds IS can be detrimental and some people turn it off, I've personally never noticed an issue. I would test it with IBIS on (rather than auto) and off and see what results you get. When using the 100-400mm do you have it set it use the lens OIS or the in body IBIS?

The 20mm f1.7 is a great option for street photography, very compact with great IQ and 40mm eq is a great FL for street.

ISIS?????? :eek:

Looking at your other 3 shots on flickr you've taken with lens 2 out of 3 are poor. Clearly the lens can take sharp images, so it's either user error, some issue with it and IBIS :)p) or some intermittent fault with the lens. There is some thought that at fast shutter speeds IS can be detrimental and some people turn it off, I've personally never noticed an issue. I would test it with IBIS on (rather than auto) and off and see what results you get. When using the 100-400mm do you have it set it use the lens OIS or the in body IBIS?

When using the Panasonic, I have the IBIS (!!) set on, on both camera and lens. I find this works just as well as anything. Whilst the Mk2 has super image stabilisation, the Pany lens does seem to work better for me anyway.

I kinda rely on the image stabilisation, as my shoots are mainly done on foot in the woods so to speak. Tripods just get in the way. also main reason for spending a fortune on a new camera. I accept that technique is certainly part of the problem, but I just seem to get much better results with the Panasonic.

Only reason for taking the Zuiko yesterday was Size. I was actually working at the WWT Slimbridge, so did not want to lug around two bags of camera gear.........

Thanks for your thoughts.

Red Breasted Merganser by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Taken at maybe 3-4 yards..........

Last edited:
When using the Panasonic, I have the IBIS (!!) set on, on both camera and lens. I find this works just as well as anything. Whilst the Mk2 has super image stabilisation, the Pany lens does seem to work better for me anyway.

I kinda rely on the image stabilisation, as my shoots are mainly done on foot in the woods so to speak. Tripods just get in the way. also main reason for spending a fortune on a new camera. I accept that technique is certainly part of the problem, but I just seem to get much better results with the Panasonic.

Only reason for taking the Zuiko yesterday was Size. I was actually working at the WWT Slimbridge, so did not want to lug around two bags of camera gear.........

Thanks for your thoughts.

Red Breasted Merganser by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Taken at maybe 3-4 yards..........
Yep, that's the one that shows that it can take good shots, nothing wrong with the detail on that one. Much crisper overall, the others look like they haven't gained focus properly.

For street would recommend the 17 1.8 it's fast sharp and gives you more or less a 35mm equivalent. There's one for sale in the forums at the minute.
Thank you for the response I'll keep my eye out as I'm too new for the buy and sell section still. But thank you for the information.

Thank you snerkler for your response too I'm guessing the lens is made by Olympus? Sorry if that's a stupid question its just I know Panasonic lenses fit too.

Back