Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I thought I'd post a few shots from yesterdays visit to Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve.
All are with the EM1 ii and Oly 300mm f4 Pro.
The Nuthatch was with the 1.4 converter.
There has been no noise reduction applied to these images, and I think the first one at ISO 5000 is pretty impressive.

Nuthatch by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

.... That's a great Nuthatch picture and a viewer would have to pixel-peep to see any noise. Those Nuthatches don't hang about and move quickly but you got brave with only 1/350s and nailed the exposure and that always potentially reduces noise.

Were you shooting in Auto ISO? I ask because I noticed on your Flickr page that the next(?) shot had a different ISO and shutter speed.

A 1.4x MC-14 lives on my Oly 300mm F/4 Pro nearly all the time and this combo's image quality is well proven, not just by me.

I think I'm right in saying that the E-M1 ii offers exactly the same image quality as the E-M1X (which I shoot with).

Btw, it may not be your thing but I have just bought LensCoat neoprene covers for my Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro and also (in different camo pattern) for my 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. I'll post separately with pics and pros* later. [*Not primarily to be camouflaged, nor for weather protection].

Last edited:
.... As long as there isn't a E-M1X Mark II coming soon!! I just bought my second M1X body yesterday.

The comments in that link are pretty harsh - Lots of keyboard 'warriors' there.
Always lots of haters unfortunately.

Nothing to say it’s an OMD so could be anything. The mark I and mark II EM1’s were announced approximately 18 months after the respective EM5’s so it would seem a bit early for the EM1-III but then I don’t know how long it takes from a camera being registered and actually being released.

I’d be VERY surprised if it’s an EM1x-II. IF it is the EM1-III I think we can expect it to be almost a carbon copy of the EM1x in terms of performance, although I’m not sure if you need that bigger body to fit the second processor in?

What I would like Olympus to include is a better EVF, they’re lagging behind now. Other than that I’m not sure what they can improve on until global shutters are a thing. Maybe eye AF that works as well as Sony. I don’t think they should up the mp count as I think 20mp is about the max the 4/3 sensor can handle whilst keeping noise ‘respectable’.

I can’t work out why any Olympus announcement brings out all the nasty comments and trolls , are they running scared or what ,I was with a friend on Monday who has just bought a Panasonic G9 and I asked him why he didn’t go for the Olympus and he said it was that rumour about olly goin* out of the camera business . .

The sooner this new lens appears the better as it will give the wildlife M4/3 shooters a real boost over the canikon 600mm + tc lads ..that’s the only thing I miss at the moment that extra bit of reach

I can’t work out why any Olympus announcement brings out all the nasty comments and trolls , are they running scared or what ,I was with a friend on Monday who has just bought a Panasonic G9 and I asked him why he didn’t go for the Olympus and he said it was that rumour about olly goin* out of the camera business . .

The sooner this new lens appears the better as it will give the wildlife M4/3 shooters a real boost over the canikon 600mm + tc lads ..that’s the only thing I miss at the moment that extra bit of reach
Tbh I can understand someone not wanting to buy Olympus due to the uncertainty of their future but all the trolling is crazy.

No Olympus at Photokina, not a surprise and joining Leica, Nikon and Fujifilm in being absent.
My daughter went to the last one in 2018 and pretty sure as an Olympus user herself commenting they weren't there then either

.... Well, as you know Jeff, my previous telephoto longest reach lens was a Canon EF 500mm F/4L II and my Flickr Albums demonstrate that it takes the 1.4x and 2x very well. So my Canon reach was 500mm / 700mm / 1000mm and mostly needing a tripod to support the weight. My Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro has an equivalent reach of 600mm and with the Oly 1.4x mounted it becomes 840mm and is very very easily handheld all day long. You'll be able to shoot with it yourself when I come and visit you and I may have a 2x by then too (just waiting for HDEW).

That new Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x Pro F/4.5 (300-1000mm equivalent) which us wildlife shooters want will probably be handholdable as well but we don't know its weight yet. It is being promoted as able to mount the Oly 2x MC-20 as well, so then it becomes a 600-2000mm zoom!!! :eek: :wideyed:. Olympus UK are unofficially saying Summer 2020.

Last edited:
Jeff did you have to do much post-processing on this image very impressive given the conditions you faced
Not really terry just applied my normal p.p regime . I.e basic processing in Lightroom ,then in photoshop layered and imageonic de.noise applied to the background layer . Then subject sharpened .. as stated it’s my standard method with all birds ...
The files from Olympus are similar to the old canon 1D3 raw files

is the title referring to your name or what it's sat on :D

.... That's a great Nuthatch picture and a viewer would have to pixel-peep to see any noise. Those Nuthatches don't hang about and move quickly but you got brave with only 1/350s and nailed the exposure and that always potentially reduces noise.

Were you shooting in Auto ISO? I ask because I noticed on your Flickr page that the next(?) shot had a different ISO and shutter speed.

A 1.4x MC-14 lives on my Oly 300mm F/4 Pro nearly all the time and this combo's image quality is well proven, not just by me.

I think I'm right in saying that the E-M1 ii offers exactly the same image quality as the E-M1X (which I shoot with).

Btw, it may not be your thing but I have just bought LensCoat neoprene covers for my Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro and also (in different camo pattern) for my 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro. I'll post separately with pics and pros* later. [*Not primarily to be camouflaged, nor for weather protection].

Yes, but for better or worse I always shoot with auto ISO with a max of 6400. (I got lucky with 1/350th on that Nuthatch image, but I prefer to say it was excellent timing!).
I also have a lenscoat on my 300mm, and will be getting one for the 40-150mm - I use them primarily for protection.

Last edited:
I will never make a bird photographer but here is one anyway

Robin in a bush by Alf Branch, on Flickr

.... I don't agree that you will never make a bird photographer - I think it's a lovely picture made very attractive by its colourful background and captured atmosphere.

I know you are not inviting critique but if it was my image I would only keep exactly the same proportions but crop the lefthand side where that blurred vertical branch is and which would then trim some off the top. I think it would improve how the Robin sits in the frame.

I also have a lenscoat on my 300mm, and will be getting one for the 40-150mm - I use them primarily for protection.

.... I have just received LensCoats for both my 300mm and 40-150mm and, like you, use them for protection rather than camouflage but primarily because I find the bare metal very cold to touch in winter. These Oly Pro lenses don't need extra weather protection though. I have a different camo pattern for each lens.

full

I have v-cut into mine so I can see the lining-up dots for the lens collar and also I have cut into the transparent clear window so I can actually use the switches!

I have four one-inch spacers to give height for my Jobu Jr-3 gimbal according to each hide's shelf height. At home in my kitchen window hide I need the four so I don't have to stoop to look into the viewfinder.

Last edited:
Who doesn't love a Robin at Xmas.

.... Indeed! The Robin is a very traditional icon both for Christmas and I think it is also the national bird(?).

So what better cue for posting my latest Olympus E-M1X image with some info below it - A ROBIN'S WELCOME :

For those interested in lens performance this was shot at 38ft distance @840mm equivalent on an Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro + 1.4x handheld in murky light.

A ROBIN'S WELCOME by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The sign which welcomes wildlife visitors to my wildlife garden. Human visitors (and cats) are not welcome without my accompaniment - It is a potentially dangerous place with hidden ponds and brambles etc and I really don't know what lives under the logpile! I also grow a patch of Sunflowers every year. Dorset UK.

Best viewed on Flickr of course.

Last edited:
When is it ever going to stop raining!
No photography, no golf - I'm going stir crazy! :mad:

:olympus:

.... I sympathise but happen to love photographing wildlife in the rain - Just as long as there is sufficient light. Rainbow weather is the very best.

*cough* Sorry to go on about it but British weather was one of several factors which decided the E-M1X and weatherproof Pro lenses for me.

Great shot, I'd have been tempted to clone the feeder out ;)

Great shot, I'd have been tempted to clone the feeder out ;)

.... Erm, I'm going to assume you are joking but perhaps you aren't.

For what it's worth I have got plenty of photos of Robins in my garden (even a couple making lurve) without any feeders showing. But by having the feeder positioned close to the Welcome sign it greatly increases the chances of photographing a bird on it - I also have a Woodpecker on the sign because they like peanuts but that was shot on the Canon earlier this year.

My local pet supplies shop gives me various foods and anything else I want at a massive discount in return for me gifting them some of my photos (always my choice and with no set frequency). This one will have their logo on it which I will apply and my shot including the feeder was intentional - They supplied both the feeder and peanuts.

Besides I like that the Robin is eyeing up the feeder as it helps the flow of the composition.

My local pet supplies shop gives me various foods and anything else I want at a massive discount in return for me gifting them some of my photos (always my choice and with no set frequency). This one will have their logo on it which I will apply and my shot including the feeder was intentional - They supplied both the feeder and peanuts.

Now that sounds like a good deal..................and mostly it seems in your and the feather friends favour (plus other non flying denizens of the garden?) :)

Now that sounds like a good deal..................and mostly it seems in your and the feather friends favour (plus other non flying denizens of the garden?) :)

.... Absolutely a win-win! They get fed and I get photos! It's a fair trade.

But some will feed on each other - An occasional Sparrowhawk (not often) and birds eating insects, snails, etc plus the natural wild foods such as berries.

You won't believe this but literally right now I went through to my kitchen because I felt peckish (sorreee for the pun!) where I have my camera at the ready on the open window sill and there on the Welcome sign was a Grey Squirrel feeding on the nuts as best he could! I grabbed a couple of quick shots before he took off - But could have done with less focal length because I had to crop his tail. Note to self, have my other M1X + 40-150mm at the ready alongside - Duh! Robin!

Evidence occasionally of a Badger but never seen... yet. An occasional Rat < Photo to come and apologies in advance that it's not a bird on a branch. There is Christmas holly though.

Last edited:
I think I need a hide if I am going to get anything decent, even the 100-400 was stretched to its limits

PC210013-2 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr
If you're serious about birding I think it's a must. I don't take anywhere near enough bird photos to justify one tbh, but otherwise a pop up hide would be top of my list.

I think I need a hide if I am going to get anything decent, even the 100-400 was stretched to its limits

No not really you just have to learn crafty field craft .. I sometimes use local hides ,but my main get you close shots come either from the car or from putting myself in the right place Right time with a silly grin on my face

Its more about bushcraft, learning how to move and when to move, and the habits of your target birds, hides are ok but a lot of time can be wasted setting up in the wrong place, feeding stations with a hide are ok but can provide a limited choice of subjects.
Pay attention to any public park areas you have it's often surprising what will visit and you have the benefit of them expecting to see people.

.... So that's 200-800mm in full-frame equivalent. As it's not an Olympus lens their 1.4x MC-14 (which you have) or MC-20 TCs won't fit and therefore be the most economical way of extending reach. But what reach you need depends very much on your target's typical behaviours and importantly you also need to have some bushcraft as others have said. It's no different than hunting with a gun - You just shoot a camera instead.

Wildlife can be unpredictable about how close they come and sometimes you can have too much reach! I experienced that with a wild (not angry!!) Brown Bear in the forests of Finland and could only get most of the head in my frame. I was shooting @1000mm (Canon EF 500mm + 2x) without enough time to unmount the 2x.

A hide of some sort can still help. A Bag Hide is the easiest to carry.

and what happened today , I had a good day at my local RSPB reserve . but left around dinnertime to see if any owls had been spotted along the coast a bit . got to parkgate spoke to a few of the lads and nothing had been seen . saw the grey clouds gathering in the distance so thought time to go .. got in car driving along the prom . saw a kestrel land ahead of me on a lamppost . pulled the car over (sod the double yellows) jumped out walked up to the lamppost and grabbed some shots ,a lady then poked a phone in its face so it flew off but I caught a good burst anyway . right time right place , right silly grin on my face before/during/after . this Pete sums it up perfectly .
look out post by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

balancing act by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

dont stand so close to me by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:

One thing i should have said if you are stalking dont look at the bird face on as your moving closer, watch it from the corner of your eye, let it think you have not seen it.

Back