Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Nice find Robin looking good .
Rob.

.... Dua Lipa showed it to me - I wish!! I was watching a video of her singing live and spotted it in the margin. Espen has only just uploaded it yesterday. I think he is good. Now back to enjoy Dua!

Knew you would like it alby , now travel restrictions from wales have been lifted at last I’m hoping to get better use from mine

Jeff, that Magpie shot is superb!

You don't need an E-M1X, nor Bird Detection & Tracking!

thanks robin

I updated my M1X bodies Firmware today and had a go from my front door.

Important to have ALL AF points selected! Shot on my ED 100-400mm without a TC.

It found targets, even birds at great distance in the sky, and was faultless at tracking and keeping in focus. It even detected a crow in a tree with body partially obscured by branches and also at a fair distance. Suddenly I have confidence in my BIF attempts again.

Last edited:
Good to know Robin I just ordered a EM1X and bought a ED 100/400 here today, Iv seen a few reports now on the bird detection and all say it's good too quite looking forward to using this setup .
It will be interesting to compare it with my Sony kit just need some good light to make it fair.

Rob.

first venture across the border for 3 long months , went looking for owls but ended up with mundane stuff before the light went this magpie among them

somewhere over the border by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Very nice Jeff I like Magpies as a subject I once got one with it's wings fully open from behind shows all it's colours -it's never happened since though.

Rob.

Good to know Robin I just ordered a EM1X and bought a ED 100/400 here today, Iv seen a few reports now on the bird detection and all say it's good too quite looking forward to using this setup .
It will be interesting to compare it with my Sony kit just need some good light to make it fair.

Rob.
welcome back into the fold rob , to be brutally honest your Sony gear will be better in most circumstances .. but for fun gear with good results this new/old rig will take some beating ,just haven't got the spare dosh to get a e.m1x at the moment and got no deals going through to help

Rob.

.... Did you buy an ED 100-400mm here on TP? I am probably going to be ordering a ED 150-400mm+1.25x Pro and selling my ED 100-400mm although it is a great lens. I'm 73yo and need to enjoy the rest of my life and my whole life now revolves around enjoying my photography.

I can't say how the Olympus AF Detection & Tracking options compare with Sony but can say, having witnessed it firsthand a few days ago, that the Sony weatherproofing is poor by comparison - That particular Sony got very wet and is stone dead. My Olympus didn't skip a beat. Unfortunately the Sony shooter must have thought that because I wasn't covering up my camera then she didn't need to.

Sony sensors are seriously good by all accounts.

I keep saying that there's no such thing as a perfect camera or lens.

Indeed i did Robin ,I may get the 150/400 +tc next year My a9mkII really is a great camera and i have the lenses to go with it so no excuse it hits nearly every time.
i only shoot in fine weather so it does not matter .
The reason i want the EM1X and 100/400 is for when a bird keeps coming and my 600f4 +1.4tc is just too long a reach i can quickly grab the EM1X and keep shooting and zooming back 200/800 field of view is ideal now we have bird detect .
Rob.

Last edited:
So I have just spent an hour or two further testing the AF Bird Detection & Tracking. I'm going to abbreviate this as 'D&T'.

So far it behaves absolutely as expected, perhaps better than expected, when targetting BiF but struggles too often with perched birds when in trees/foliage. So I am experimenting with my other AF settings which may have an influence. It may come down to switching in and out of D&T for BiF and birds perched. MF Ring override doesn't work when in D&T on the ED 100-400mm but I shall try it on my Pro lenses. Focus Peaking displays though if you want it.

Something great which I hadn't anticipated, but is obvious, is that once focus is locked you can recompose your image instead of using the Joystick to move it.

When in C+AF[M] plus ALL AF points active, it absolutely gulps down battery juice and really needs the twin batteries which the M1X holds!

I'll post more info as I make progress.

.... Superb as always Jeff! You honestly don't need a M1X let alone a M1mkIII. Great DoF for F/5.6 on this lens.
Cheers robin .. keep us up to date with your findings ,it’s tempting to upgrade but as you point out is it needed

Cheers robin .. keep us up to date with your findings ,it’s tempting to upgrade but as you point out is it needed
A lot of the time it really isn't needed the lower spec cameras in good hands still can get the shot the reason I change systems and buy more up to date gear is simply because it makes it a little easier over all and I'm all for that the down side is you have to pay a lot more to get perhaps 15/20 % gain .

When you look at it all that means is one setup will get you 100 photos and the other will get you 80 generally speaking does that 20 extra really matter only the buyer can decide if it's worth it .

Rob.

A lot of the time it really isn't needed the lower spec cameras in good hands still can get the shot the reason I change systems and buy more up to date gear is simply because it makes it a little easier over all and I'm all for that the down side is you have to pay a lot more to get perhaps 15/20 % gain .

When you look at it all that means is one setup will get you 100 photos and the other will get you 80 generally speaking does that 20 extra really matter only the buyer can decide if it's worth it .

Rob.
I know rob I also have to take into account my own longevity racing towards 75 very fast ,so is it worth it long term :coat:

I know rob I also have to take into account my own longevity racing towards 75 very fast ,so is it worth it long term :coat:

.... Taking into account my longevity as I race towards 74, I have the attitude that tomorrow is never guaranteed for anyone (my son passed on at 4yo as many here already know) and so enjoy everything you can - Only single women between the ages of 21 and 35 may apply. Life is far too short (unless it has been a boring life and I know that both Jeff's and my life have been very far from boring!). They say that life is like a toilet roll, the less you have left, the faster it goes! :ROFLMAO:

But as @GyRob Rob says, only the buyer can decide if it's worth it. We each have our individual criteria for our decisions. Mine consists of locking a screaming Captain Sensible in a cupboard and being seduced by Commander Life whispering "You know you want it" and also Lady Luck promising to come out with me more often if I buy it.

Latest update about the AF Bird Detect & Track (D&T) option : [ @pooley Mike you might want to read this about the ED 100-400mm]

If you want to try and cover both BiF and BoP (Birds on Perches) without changing settings, then it greatly helps to set your initial AF point dead centre, focus it on target and then the camera will track accordingly and indicate to you how your focussing is progressing.

But, it can get tricky and frustrating if there are a lot of branches/foliage to distract the magic AF workers. This is where overriding with the Manual Focus Ring scores.... But the bad news is that only the Oly Pro lenses offer you override - The ED 100-400mm does not when in D&T. Being a Pro lens, I'm sure that the ED 150-400mm+1.25x will allow MF override. I have tested both the ED 40-150mm Pro and ED 300mm Pro, each with and without either TC, and MF override thankfully works when in C-AF Track [MF].

My idea is to fine tune or change the focus with the MF Ring override but it won't deliver what you want if you keep your finger on the Back Button Focus which consequently activates more tracking action.

Now back to my kitchen window hide overlooking my wildlife garden (nice-n-messy!). Spotted a distant Goldcrest in there much earlier but don't think I got sharp enough focus.

Last edited:
Got a question guys if you don't mind :)

So I am very happy with the above image & as you all know very happy with the 100-400mm lens for birding. However im in a bit of a quandary, but im not sure if its just one of my silly thinking moments or whether it is a sensible idea...

The days are getting shorter, colder & less light and because I don't drive i'm spending more time at the mo bird spotting my feeding stations in the garden now, from an open window.

So with this in mind im wondering whether the 40-150 pro would be a good companion with the 100-400, to have for the winter days like today, when I'm just spotting my garden & there is generally less light? (I also have the 1.4tc so if I'm right, this could also be used if I did need that little extra in the garden)

As I say I don't know whether it would make a difference at all & if its just one of them random thoughts in my head haha, because from the image I have just posted, with a little bit of cropping, Lr & Topaz I get an image im very happy with.

Thanks as always :)

Have you seen this Robin you just flick the FN leaver so you could set say 1 focus point Olympus E-M1X tips: Fn lever for AF modes - YouTube
Rob.

.... Not seen it yet but about to - Thanks! I was literally wondering if the L-Fn lens button could be customised to do that and was about to investigate it!! The ED 100-400mm doesn't have a L-Fn lens button but the Pro lenses do. My Fn lever is customised for switching between S-AF and C-AF at the moment but I could change that.

EDIT:
I have now changed the Fn Lever to switch between S-AF + 1 AF pt and C-AF+TR[MF] +ALL AF pts. That's going to make a big difference. Thanks again Rob! I'll test that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got a question guys if you don't mind :)

So I am very happy with the above image & as you all know very happy with the 100-400mm lens for birding. However im in a bit of a quandary, but im not sure if its just one of my silly thinking moments or whether it is a sensible idea...

The days are getting shorter, colder & less light and because I don't drive i'm spending more time at the mo bird spotting my feeding stations in the garden now, from an open window.

So with this in mind im wondering whether the 40-150 pro would be a good companion with the 100-400, to have for the winter days like today, when I'm just spotting my garden & there is generally less light? (I also have the 1.4tc so if I'm right, this could also be used if I did need that little extra in the garden)

As I say I don't know whether it would make a difference at all & if its just one of them random thoughts in my head haha, because from the image I have just posted, with a little bit of cropping, Lr & Topaz I get an image im very happy with.

Thanks as always :)

.... Hey we are all here to help each other and so no-one minds at all.

I have both the 40-150mm Pro and 100-400mm Pro and also a 'kitchen window hide' (I have a military camouflage net window curtain) with my camera mounted on a small Jobu gimbal on a PlatyPod on my window sill. They both work with the 1.4x MC-14 equally well and the 2x MC-20 works just as well on the 40-150mm but not quite as sharp (at very long distances) on the 100-400mm.

The concise answer to your question is that in poorer light the F/2.8 of the 40-150mm has an advantage but the 100-400mm has the advantage of much more reach. So yes they would be good companions and both have that valuable zoom flexibility. Careful or you'll be buying two Olympus bodies (like I did) to save time swopping lenses except that as you'll be indoors in comfort, swopping lenses won't be quite so risky from flying debris etc etc.

Last edited:
.... Not seen it yet but about to - Thanks! I was literally wondering if the L-Fn lens button could be customised to do that and was about to investigate it!! The ED 100-400mm doesn't have a L-Fn lens button but the Pro lenses do. My Fn lever is customised for switching between S-AF and C-AF at the moment but I could change that.

EDIT:
I have now changed the Fn Lever to switch between S-AF + 1 AF pt and C-AF+TR[MF] +ALL AF pts. That's going to make a big difference. Thanks again Rob! I'll test that tomorrow.

On my MK2 I setup the L-Fn button as my BBF button but in one it was it two custom sets where I use C-AF.......based in that I figured that I was holding lens so it made sense to control the AF with the left hand :)

my only crit of your sparrow shot Joe would be that the the focus point appears to be on the shoulder of the bird rather than the eye . try using the fine point focus ( the smallest one) and instead of leaving it central raise it two boxes . that way should ensure you get the eye sharp and the body right .
as for the other lens more weight to lug around and choices to make ,yes its good but will you get the full use out of it

.... Hey we are all here to help each other and so no-one minds at all.

I have both the 40-150mm Pro and 100-400mm Pro and also a 'kitchen window hide' (I have a military camouflage net window curtain) with my camera mounted on a small Jobu gimbal on a PlatyPod on my window sill. They both work with the 1.4x MC-14 equally well and the 2x MC-20 works just as well on the 40-150mm but not quite as sharp on the 100-400mm.

The concise answer to your question is that in poorer light the F/2.8 of the 40-150mm has an advantage but the 100-400mm has the advantage of much more reach. So yes they would be good companions and both have that valuable zoom flexibility
. Careful or you'll be buying two Olympus bodies (like I did) to save time swopping lenses except that as you'll be indoors in comfort, swopping lenses won't be quite so risky from flying debris etc etc.

Thank you Robin very much appreciated :)

It seems then I need to have a proper think... as you say it does have its advantages, but it is another lens/cost & I definitely don’t want to end up with another body aha.

The thing is I’m more than happy with the results I’m currently getting, so yeah I think I need to just play around more with my current set up now the feeding station is up and running & then yeah go from there :)

Thanks again mate for the advice :)

my only crit of your sparrow shot Joe would be that the the focus point appears to be on the shoulder of the bird rather than the eye . try using the fine point focus ( the smallest one) and instead of leaving it central raise it two boxes . that way should ensure you get the eye sharp and the body right .
as for the other lens more weight to lug around and choices to make ,yes its good but will you get the full use out of it

Thank you Jeff, & thank you for the tips. I can see what you mean now I look back at it, but next time I will definitely give your tips ago :)

Lens wise your right too & as I have just said to Robin above, it seems it would have it uses but it just whether it’s needed & as your say whether I would get full use.

Thing is too, as you know I’m very happy with the 100-400, it’s perfect for my needs & give shots I’m extremely happy with and it is more then capable I’m not so good light conditions, with just a little extra skill. So with that in mind the other side is thinking stick with what iv got, work on my skills & just enjoy what I have :)

these days due to age and heart conditions I tend to travel light , so instead of a heavy camera ,600mm lens +t.c backpack ,tripod, gimbal etc I now just take out 1-mkii+ 100-400,t.c in pouch. and spare battery .. no need for bag with a water resistant rig, no need for tripod and gimbal with superb i.s . even my strap is one of peak designs leash ones ..whole rig giving 1150mm reach weighs 2kg total
and I think my results justify this approach

Thing is too, as you know I’m very happy with the 100-400, it’s perfect for my needs & give shots I’m extremely happy with and it is more then capable I’m not so good light conditions, with just a little extra skill. So with that in mind the other side is thinking stick with what iv got, work on my skills & just enjoy what I have :)

.... That's the key to both enjoying your photography and getting the most out of it. Enjoy what you've got and don't think about what you haven't got when you are shooting. This is also a healthy mantra for many things in life!

.... That's the key to both enjoying your photography and getting the most out of it. Enjoy what you've got and don't think about what you haven't got when you are shooting. This is also a healthy mantra for many things in life!

Thanks Robin, I think you & Jeff have probably talked some sense into me :)

I suppose we all have moments when we think what if, but as you say, when we do it’s best to turn it around to think about what we have got & enjoy it

we got 150 years of life experience between us :exit:

as the photoshop users on here will know, they recently added a sky replacement tool ,which works quiet well on some images my main gripe being they are probably American skies and to vibrant for the u.k ..

so yesterday when the mists cleared and we had a couple of hours of sunshine I took a couple of sample images across the estuary of the sky over the welsh mountains and have played around adding them to the library . once I realised that they have to be pixel reduced its worked quite well .. heres a sample image of a marsh harrier that was shot into the sun with heavy mist behind it just a record shot really but unusable as taken . so had a play and added this natural sky to it . not my best work but something to play with if needed winter skies.jpg

Back