Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hehe, I'm the same I'm torn between picking up the 12mm or the 100-300mm.... but I also like the look of the 75mm although its very pricey and the new 12-35mm but again at £800 it seems a lot!!!

If you are considering spending that sort of money then IMVHO the 7-14 is the way to go, assuming you dont have one already that is.

It's a cracker...(y)

If you are considering spending that sort of money then IMVHO the 7-14 is the way to go, assuming you dont have one already that is.

It's a cracker...(y)

I have considered the 7-14 especially from Kerso on here at a smidge over £600 but I've already got the 9-18 which is good.

Been an E-M5 owner for some while now but thought I would chip in.
My 12-35 arrived yesterday and I'm pleased to report it is rather excellent, physically a nice match up to the E-M5 body, especially with part 1 (and 2) of the grip fitted :)

Hi All,
Is the handling of the E-M5 better all-round with the small part of the grip fitted?

Regards

Quite like the look of the 12-35 despite the price! I'm usually a primes guy now ever since I had a few of the Pentax primes which were excellent but I've heard people say that the 12-35 is as good as the 12mm and 25mm primes, how are you finding it?

I haven't done a direct 'like for like' comparison but I think it is at least as sharp as the 12mm f/2 prime if not more so.
The 25mm f/1.4 is pretty amazing, I don't think it quite matches it, but as I say this is just the feeling I get looking at the few images I have taken.

By the way I think the 12-35 is worth the money, it's very well built, splash and dust resistant and optically it does have a certain wow factor :)
Here are a few I've taken with it, nothing artistically stand out but just to give a feel.

I haven't done a direct 'like for like' comparison but I think it is at least as sharp as the 12mm f/2 prime if not more so.
The 25mm f/1.4 is pretty amazing, I don't think it quite matches it, but as I say this is just the feeling I get looking at the few images I have taken.

By the way I think the 12-35 is worth the money, it's very well built, splash and dust resistant and optically it does have a certain wow factor :)
Here are a few I've taken with it, nothing artistically stand out but just to give a feel.

Thanks Huw, I do really like the 25mm is certainly is a cracking lens, I suspect I'm likely to end up with the 12mm rather than the 12-35, I have the 9-18 that I received when I traded for the OMD and its alright but I prefer a prime!

I think I'd like a 12,25,45 setup with a zoom (100-300) to complete it..... although despite my slight dislike of zoom lenses the 7-14 looks incredible too.

Thanks Huw & Chris,
As normal very helpful, I am still looking at the Oly to replace my Pentax kit. So there will be more questions as I continue to save and research.

Regards

Last edited:
I think I'd like a 12,25,45 setup with a zoom (100-300) to complete it.....

That's my prime setup as it currently stands, I intend to add the 35-100 to my 12-35 and 100-300 zooms when it's available.
Sometimes I enjoy a prime day other times zooms are my thing ;)

I'd really like the 75mm to give me a full prime kit.... but for £800 I'm not sure I'd use it enough!

Was out with the 100-300 today that arrived from Amazon about 4PM, not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not really, it might be down to my technique (I don't use much beyond 50mm mostly) but the images didn't really impress me.

I'd really like the 75mm to give me a full prime kit.... but for £800 I'm not sure I'd use it enough!

Was out with the 100-300 today that arrived from Amazon about 4PM, not sure whether I'm going to keep it or not really, it might be down to my technique (I don't use much beyond 50mm mostly) but the images didn't really impress me.

I'm more than happy with mine, it doesn't quite match up to my now gone 50-200 SWD and EC-14 (4/3rds) combination but it's not that far away.
I've managed to grab some reasonable birdie shots with it, last two of these as an example.

Its not something I'm likely to use a lot so I might just pickup a 200mm Canon FD lens and manual focus.

Todays been the first day I've got out since receiving the EM5 last weekend due to the dire weather!

I don't know if maybe I was expecting too much but picture quality wise I don't see a massive jump from my old EP2, although perhaps I've been spolit with my brief affair with the Fuji X-Pro 1.

Gave all my lenses a whirl and wasn't overly impressed with the 9-18mm but like I've said before I do prefer a prime!

The 25mm is outstanding though and very similar to the 35mm lens on the Fuji XP1, very sharp!

The 45mm as well I really like, I did have one before on my EP2 and it was a cracker.

Will certainly have some decisions to make lens wise.

A few shots from today, I tend to try the same few shots whenever I get new kit to see what I think!

Scottish Govt HDR by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

Shore - EM5 by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

The Shore HDR - EM5 by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

Yellow Flowers - Panasonic 25mm by chrism_scotland, on Flickr

I was lucky enough to pick up a used mint Micro Nikkor 55mm f3.5 + PK-13 ring from Ffordes for almost the same money as a pair off new Kenko M4/3 extension tubes.

The lens alone cost less than the Kenko tubes.

I'm well chuffed :)

P1010807-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Last edited:
chrism_scotland said:

Maybe spend a little more time using it, could possibly be technique. For me the 100-300 is one of the best lenses, fantastic IS too, with the recent firmware update.

Just got an Olympus OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 off Ebay for £62 for use with my OM-D. As sharp as anything I've ever used, even wide open:

Hover.jpg

That sounds like a good deal.

It's not a macro is it? But it looks to focus quite close for a non macro 100mm,

Could anyone please comment how quick this focuses on a moving subject. I have a toddler who is rather fast!

Glenn Surtees said:
Just got an Olympus OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 off Ebay for £62 for use with my OM-D. As sharp as anything I've ever used, even wide open:

Only looking on my iPhone, but that looks very nice, great value for money

The image below is the inside of SRS's shop. Taken using there OMD demo camera on full auto hand held through a piece of shade 8 welding glass, which I held in my other hand.

Just as an exercise, as this is something that interests me.

Original - just a quick rotate.
P1010001-rotated.jpg

Original - rotated with quick shadows/midtone adjustment
P1010001-rotatededit.jpg

I was quite surprised at the ability of the camera/lens to see through the glass, (I could see some of the detail on the screen). The focus point is the lamp in the shop window.
So close to buying one, but will wait until September to make a final decision.

Last edited:
Need some advise please. I'm buying a OM-D at the end of the month and I'm not sure which lens to go with it.

Looking at either the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 or the Olympus 17mm 2.8, doesn't seem much in it on price £270 for the Panny and £230 for the Olympus. Thinking that the the faster lens is to go with for the extra £40.

I'll be taking the OM-D away to Canada with me for a couple of weeks so would like a smaller walkabout lens as well as well as the 12-55 kit.

Get the Panny 20mm, it a faster and better lens than the Olympus one. If you can stretch the budget and don't mind the bulk I would get the 25mm 1.4, phenomenal lens.

Thanks guys, the Panny 25mm 1.4 is defiantly on my shopping list. The cash back offer might seal it for me to be honest. Just had a look at a used 17mm and its a bargain.

Made my mind up, going for the compactness of the 20mm Panny. Just hope the kit and the 20mm will be good enough. I'm watching a 17mm, might get one as well if it's stays cheap enough.

Well thats my Micro 4/3 setup settled for now,
Olympus EM5, 9-18mm, 14mm, 25mm, 45mm and another 100-300mm which I picked up tonight.

Happy with the all round lineup although I would maybe like a 20mm if they sort out some of the issues that it seems to be causing, duplication with the 25mm perhaps but very handy for when I just want a small high quality package of EM5 and pancake lens!

I'm going to reserve judgement on my wide angle until I've used the 9-18mm a little more, very tempted by the 7-14mm and also the 12mm but I really would need to have one of the 3 and while I will leave the 9-18mm up for sale I will use it to see what I think.

Overally very happy now with my lineup, sold the GF2 as I just wasn't going to use it as the EM5 is small itself, might add a cheap 12-50 kit lens if it comes up for the Weather Sealing but apart from that I'm hoping for drier weather so I can get out and shoot!!!!

Back