Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Can someone with a 12-40mm F2.8 confirm if they have a bit of movement in the lens barrel when zoomed out to 40mm?

The lens I just bought has a tiny bit of movement in it.

Thanks

A tiny bit, it makes a small amount of noise too. TBH I can't think of any external zoom lens I've ever owned that hasn't had a little bit of play in it.

Another question - when focusing in the house (with house lights on) the image through the viewfinder goes grainy as the focus hunts / locks on.

It doesn't do that with my 17mm.

Is that normal?

Probably because the prime is brighter so the camera doesn't have to amplify the evf so much. Can't say I've ever really noticed it but then I haven't been looking.

it could well be a setting such as flicker reduction, fast/slow response or probably a number of other things.

Edit, I see you have a PenF which I believe has a different evf to my OMDs although now I think about it this behaviour does ring a bell. Cameras are upstairs at the moment and I'm flat on my back resting a bruised disc, if I remember when I go upstairs I'll try it out.

Last edited:
Yep it will 'gain up' in darker conditions. You probably won't notice it with faster primes until it gets really dark.

Also, as you will probably notice in future, the 12-40mm 2.8 lens cap is terrible, it's not a case of if it will dissemble itself into 3 pieces, but when.

Yep it will 'gain up' in darker conditions. You probably won't notice it with faster primes until it gets really dark.

Also, as you will probably notice in future, the 12-40mm 2.8 lens cap is terrible, it's not a case of if it will dissemble itself into 3 pieces, but when.
I agree about the lens cap mine has done the same.

I ordered a new cheapo lenscap (JJC or similar) for my 14-150 when I lost it. They were so cheap (~1.60€) I bought several. And they seem to take a pounding. One even went through the wash.

But think of it this way, the lenscap that comes with the lens is not free. You actually pay for it. But at Olympus prices. You don't really want Olympus to go spending loads on a cap, and end up charging you more for your lens!
If it breaks or you lose it, buy a stack of cheapo ones and be happier. You can paint the word Olympus on it in Tipex, (badly) if you really want advertise Olympus lens caps.

Last edited:
My lens cap has been fine, if not a little overkill in bulk, that said it spends most of its like in the bottom of a bag or pocket as generally when I'm using my camera the lens is either on it or faced down in the bag with the lens hood on - ready for a quick swap.

But think of it this way, the lenscap that comes with the lens is not free. You actually pay for it. But at Olympus prices. You don't really want Olympus to go spending loads on a cap, and end up charging you more for your lens!

I agree, but every other manufacturer can make cheap plastic ones that work. Olympus seem to like making expensive metal ones for their Pro lenses that are unfit for purpose. I'd rather they did save the money and throw in a cheap one!

My lens cap has been fine, if not a little overkill in bulk, that said it spends most of its like in the bottom of a bag or pocket as generally when I'm using my camera the lens is either on it or faced down in the bag with the lens hood on - ready for a quick swap.
Same for me.
Though mine has been for a dip in the sea a couple of times.

:clap: Brilliant, Alf (y)

Was that hand held Alf? I know the IBIS in the Olympus cameras is great, but I couldn't stand there for 1 hour and 40 minutes without wanting to scratch my nose or something.

Last edited:
Any ex Fuji users here moved to a em1 just asking

:clap: Brilliant, Alf (y)

Thanks Damian
1 Raw file went into this.

Was that hand held Alf? I know the IBIS in the Olympus cameras is great, but I couldn't stand there for 1 hour and 40 minutes without wanting to scratch my nose or something.

I did consider trying it handheld but I wanted to use two cameras so I used two tripods and a chair and a flask of tea.

Last edited:
Any ex Fuji users here moved to a em1 just asking
I'd been on the fence for a while about moving to Olympus but I couldn't resist the recent Wex offer of EM1 plus 50-140 and 12-40 pro lenses for £1849.
I'm really happy so far and have put most of my Fuji gear on the facebook Fuji for sale page but I can't bring myself to get rid of my XT-1, 18-135 and 35 f 1.4 :)

I'm in the process of doing the exact opposite. E-M1 is now sold and I'm waiting for the X-T2 to be more readily available ...

Hi

What is it that made you sell up and go for XT2. Though u might of waited for em1 mkii since you already a oly?

Am on the hunt for a x30 as when I had the xf1, it made me think more about what I was doing. I know it's not the latest, nor with the biggest sensor or brightest lens but sometimes I think there's more to it than buying the latest gear.

Going back to a more simple form is what I'm after ( not that I'm selling the m43 stuff )

Am on the hunt for a x30 as when I had the xf1, it made me think more about what I was doing. I know it's not the latest, nor with the biggest sensor or brightest lens but sometimes I think there's more to it than buying the latest gear.

Going back to a more simple form is what I'm after ( not that I'm selling the m43 stuff )

My wife has an x30 and it's lovely, don't worry about the sensor size as the images still have that lovely fuji look.

It's still a bit chunky though, not really pocketable...

That's ok, it's just a "lob in the car" camera. I have a rx100 if pocketable is needed but I don't like using it.

X30s at a reasonable price are like rocking horse poo it seems

Hi

What is it that made you sell up and go for XT2. Though u might of waited for em1 mkii since you already a oly?
I already have both systems and waited to see what the mkII was like before deciding, but the X-T2 looks at least as good and is £500 cheaper...

I already have both systems and waited to see what the mkII was like before deciding, but the X-T2 looks at least as good and is £500 cheaper...

Hi

So you would say get xt2 over em1 mkii

Glass is more important than the body, just thought I would add that into the mix regarding IQ discussions :)
Some of the threads on a certain Amazon sponsored site are so so amusing with the endless pontification on this subject.

It's all about the image as a whole, not the image at 100%

Andrew I wish I lived were you do - I'd be out every weekend and morning ( I sometimes detour through their on business ). Get out, enjoy what you produce :)

Enjoying it, Dave ?

Yes - I am finding it quite relaxing not having to hump a load of gear around and the quality is great. I need to find a good bag to carry my gear and filters - once that is sorted I will be taking this little camera on more outings :)

You planing replace your dslr

it was never intended to replace my Nikon kit. My D500 paired with the 500 F4 is as good as it gets for wildlife and my D810 paired with 4 great lenses is as close to perfection as you will get for landscapes or people photography. Now the D500 is safe but I am not sure about the D810 yet :)

I am no pro and earn my living 9 to 5 Mon to Fri sat behind a desk - so the only thing I do with my photos is stick them on Flickr, sometimes on here and into an occasional competition. For that type of thing I don't think you would notice any real difference between the output from the Oly or the D810.

My bank balance and back would thank me for chopping in the D810 and lenses but I would need a good few months to make sure that was the right choice before making that jump :)

Yes - I am finding it quite relaxing not having to hump a load of gear around and the quality is great. I need to find a good bag to carry my gear and filters - once that is sorted I will be taking this little camera on more outings :)

it was never intended to replace my Nikon kit. My D500 paired with the 500 F4 is as good as it gets for wildlife and my D810 paired with 4 great lenses is as close to perfection as you will get for landscapes or people photography. Now the D500 is safe but I am not sure about the D810 yet :)

I am no pro and earn my living 9 to 5 Mon to Fri sat behind a desk - so the only thing I do with my photos is stick them on Flickr, sometimes on here and into an occasional competition. For that type of thing I don't think you would notice any real difference between the output from the Oly or the D810.

My bank balance and back would thank me for chopping in the D810 and lenses but I would need a good few months to make sure that was the right choice before making that jump :)

This is how I started, now I own no Nikon kit at all...

My D750 hasn't seen the light of day for about 4 months, I love the EM5 MKII, ive just ordered the 17mm f/1.8, I loved the focal length of my X100T lets see how it works on the Oly.

Never thought I would but just sold my D810 with my 4 remaining FX lenses (24-70 f2.8, 24-120 F4 VR, 16-35 F4 VR & 105 F2.8 VR). My only Nikon kit now is my D500 with 16-80, 10-24, 70-200 F2.8!( just couldn't part with this) and my Tammy 150-600, and is mainly a wildlife camera now.

That's after owning Nikons for 35 years and recently 4 bodies and 11 FX lenses.

I'm pretty much totally committed to M4/3 these days and use it most every day with my EM1 & GX8 with a nice collection of glass (including the 12-40, 40-150 & 7-14 pro lenses), and haven't really looked back.

I was waiting for some time for Nikon to properly enter the mirror less market but they didn't and whilst they were sat on the sidelines watching, they missed that Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji & Sony, were heavily eroding their user base of loyal fans.

Sure my GX8 or EM1 don't have the resolution of the D810, but it's enough, and I never really took full advantage anyway of what the D810 offered, so more me at least, and my Photography, nearly every camera currently produced today is of a good enough quality. My bank balance and back don't miss my Nikon FX gear, but sentimentality I do a little but not enough to buy back into it.

Last edited:
Well - I had planned to only get the body and 17mm 1.8 as a take everywhere camera.

I then decided that a 12-40 would be nice in case I want to do a few landscapes when out and about.

I am now thinking that something a little wider would go nicely with it and not add much weight to the bag.

The Panny 35-100 also looks nice as well :)

Well - the money has run out and buying anything else will mean selling a Nikon lens. Interesting times ahead :)

Well - I had planned to only get the body and 17mm 1.8 as a take everywhere camera.

I then decided that a 12-40 would be nice in case I want to do a few landscapes when out and about.

I am now thinking that something a little wider would go nicely with it and not add much weight to the bag.

The Panny 35-100 also looks nice as well :)

Well - the money has run out and buying anything else will mean selling a Nikon lens. Interesting times ahead :)
Dave
The 9-18 is small and capable I use mine lot.
I am considering a 7-14 f 2.8 though but will need to move from 85mm to 100mm filters.

The p35-100 2.8 is lovely Dave, and not too big. The can go for silly money though, I think I paid £425 for mine and sold it to mpb for £500 a few months later.

Back