Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hello

Just a couple of questions regarding my 5 mk iii after a weeks use in Cornwall - be grateful if anyone knows the answers !

I like to change the focus point with the d-pad, however with other cameras I have used you can assign a button to press so that the focus point returns to the centre of the frame - is this possible ?

Also can you improve the EVF ? Again on other cameras I have used there was a boost mode which improved the appearance of the EVF ?

thanks !

Hello

Just a couple of questions regarding my 5 mk iii after a weeks use in Cornwall - be grateful if anyone knows the answers !

I like to change the focus point with the d-pad, however with other cameras I have used you can assign a button to press so that the focus point returns to the centre of the frame - is this possible ?

Also can you improve the EVF ? Again on other cameras I have used there was a boost mode which improved the appearance of the EVF ?

thanks !
You can assign a button that when you press it the AF point returns to the centre. Off the top of my head I think it's called "home setting" but can check later. Not sure about the EVF.
Sorry another question - does LR automatically apply sharpening to RAW images ?
Generally it does, it applies 40. You can check this by going down to the sharpening section of the develop panel.

Hello

thanks !
Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 12.07.04.png
Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 12.07.19.png

On the way down to Cornwall we stopped over at a Holiday in at Taunton which gave me an excuse to find this place and try out my EM-5 mk iii and 12-45. Lucky to get a lovely sunset !

Lovely light, well done!

Lovely light, well done!
Thanks Stephen :)

Really pleased with the little camera - so much smaller and lighter to carry around, really noticeable on the SW coastal paths.

Shot in RAW and Jpeg and surprised just how much detail could be gained from the RAW images.

And in Landscape without the annoying flare..

51572850141_b1576adcfa_k.jpg

So having decided to keep my EM5 mk iii (for me it passed the test whilst on holiday and has a great combination of weight//size and image quality) I would really like to add a wide angle. I just used the excellent 12-45 on holiday until I knew I was happy with the camera.

Part of me would like to maintain the money saving ethos of m43 and go for a used 9-18 but I’m unsure about image quality and the fact it isn’t that wide. Anyone used this lens a lot and care to comment ? Otherwise I will have to spend at least twice as much on the Panasonic 8-18 or 8-25.

thanks

I was never happy with the 9-18, in fact didn't like anything about it really.
Bought the 8-18 and very pleased with it, the Olympus wasn't out at that time.
Both get good reviews, 8-25 is handy for the longer reach, but 2.8 at 8mm is better for night skies.

I wanted something a little wider than 12mm so settled for the 10mm Laowa. On the GX9 focussing is a bit hit-and-miss, but on the E-M1ii it's a doddle and the image quality is superb. It helps that it has all the electronic contacts so aperture details etc are transferred. Indeed, apertures are selected in camera and not by an aperture ring. 2mm is a lot of difference on m4/3.

I wanted something a little wider than 12mm so settled for the 10mm Laowa. On the GX9 focussing is a bit hit-and-miss, but on the E-M1ii it's a doddle and the image quality is superb. It helps that it has all the electronic contacts so aperture details etc are transferred. Indeed, apertures are selected in camera and not by an aperture ring. 2mm is a lot of difference on m4/3.
Thanks Stephen - problem is at 10mm is not as wide and I can't really be bothered with manual focus !

Thanks Stephen - problem is at 10mm is not as wide and I can't really be bothered with manual focus !
Fair comment. When I get a bit (lot) more funds - :rolleyes: - I'll probably invest in either the 8-25 or 8-18. In my regular 4/3 days I was frustrated by the 9-18. IQ was OK, but the tight aperture and having to unlock it to extend it peeved me.

More lens help ! I need something with more reach to go with my 12-45. I can't decide whether to get an all in one (which might make the 12-45 a bit redundant) or something like a 35-100 or 40-150 etc. One of the reasons I got fed up with FF was getting dust on the sensor, I was incredibly careful, hardly ever changing may lenses and when I did it was inside the house or car but the sensor still got covered with blobs !

I don't remember having such issues with M43 but I've only got one lens at the moment so obviously wouldn't experience that problem at the moment..

The cheapo Oly 40-150 is a fantastic lens. Incredible value for money, so light, and small. And sharp. Shop around to get a mint used one for about £100. Just make sure that the mount isn't mangled as it's a plastic mount and some people are a little cack-handed. Otherwise it's fine. As regards dust, during my first period of m4/3 ownership I never once had dust on the sensor. Best cleaning mechanism on the market.

More lens help ! I need something with more reach to go with my 12-45. I can't decide whether to get an all in one (which might make the 12-45 a bit redundant) or something like a 35-100 or 40-150 etc. One of the reasons I got fed up with FF was getting dust on the sensor, I was incredibly careful, hardly ever changing may lenses and when I did it was inside the house or car but the sensor still got covered with blobs !

I don't remember having such issues with M43 but I've only got one lens at the moment so obviously wouldn't experience that problem at the moment..
Another vote for the plastic fantastic 40-150mm. Olympus were selling them for £149 on their site last month, not sure if they're still that price.

As for dust, Nikon's were a nightmare but I've not had an issue with Sony or Olympus tbh,

Another vote for the plastic fantastic 40-150mm. Olympus were selling them for £149 on their site last month, not sure if they're still that price.

As for dust, Nikon's were a nightmare but I've not had an issue with Sony or Olympus tbh,

I found Nikon to be the worst and Sony not much better - the only way to get it clean was using a wet swab as my normal rocket blower did nothing !

Have you thought about getting a four thirds to MFT adaptor ,this then throws open the whole range of four thirds lenses ,there are also quiet a few cheap but not cheerful Chinese lenses sitting on the fringes .. I have a Yi- 42.5mm f1.8 with built in macro cost me all of £50 superb sharp lens

Last edited:
I found Nikon to be the worst and Sony not much better - the only way to get it clean was using a wet swab as my normal rocket blower did nothing !
Strange isn't it, I've had the A7RIV and now A9-ii and had to use a rocket blower twice, each time for a solitary spec of dust :thinking:

More lens help ! I need something with more reach to go with my 12-45. I can't decide whether to get an all in one (which might make the 12-45 a bit redundant) or something like a 35-100 or 40-150 etc.

As above the plastic 40-150 punches well above it's weight or it's price.
I've never had any problems with dust.

There is also the 14-150 which is good

There is also the 14-150 which is good
.... 14-150mm is a massive stretch of focal range! Most lenses, regardless of brand, suffer from heavy vignetting when shot at their widest focal length when they have such a extensive range. Does this lens also suffer from that compromise?

I returned a high quality Canon RF lens because I wasn't happy with such a compromise.

Last edited:
.... That's a massive stretch of focal range! Most lenses, regardless of brand, suffer from heavy vignetting when shot at their widest focal length when they have such a extensive range. Does this lens also suffer from that compromise?

I returned a high quality Canon RF lens because I wasn't happy with such a compromise.
I too am sceptical about so-called "superzooms". They trade quality for convenience. To make one of quality would either break the laws of physics or be super heavy and large. There is a school of thought, which has some merit, that ALL zooms are a compromise. It's a question of balancing those compromises against convenience.

And in Landscape without the annoying flare..

51572850141_b1576adcfa_k.jpg

.... I much prefer the first shot with the flare. The flare looks natural and the atmosphere created by a darker exposure is richer. I also prefer the angle.

You didn't ask for a crit - It's only my personal opinion.

Always the 12-100, no compromise throughout the focal range with this one.
Stick it on something like an E-M1ii and the Sync IS enables previously unheard of hand held shutter speeds
Didn’t realise that the Sync IS was available on the ii, only on the iii.

a very long range shot of a flock lifting off the marsh as high tide approaches , possibly put up by a harrier .. I estimate the range between 1 to 2 miles
bit of a kerfuffle by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... 14-150mm is a massive stretch of focal range! Most lenses, regardless of brand, suffer from heavy vignetting when shot at their widest focal length when they have such a extensive range. Does this lens also suffer from that compromise?

Mine is fine

I use a four thirds 18-180 ,covers a large target range and even with a MMF-2 added still comes in at under £200 . And if it can get a peregrine falcon in flight ,sharp and in focus . I can’t see a reason to change it .. I often look at various lenses for sale and then think oops I got that covered already .

Regarding the 14-150 and the Pana 14-140 I thought the reviews for these lenses had always been quite positive?

I think super zooms have got better - the 24-200 Nikon Z I had was pretty good ‘

Back