Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Just had a bit of a confidence booster ,yesterdays barn owl shots were taken in difficult conditions I.e into the setting sun and on the move from the footpath .. I was there with friends as well shooting with a variety of equipment . From the results I have seen so far my Olympus gear excelled itself . Outperforming other brands costing several times more and used in skilled hands

Would you mind telling us the settings you used Jeff ?

Would you mind telling us the settings you used Jeff ?
a/v mode , auto i.s.o , minimum shutter speed 1/1250 sec ,lens wide open at f6.3 .low speed burst . CAF .. still finding single point a.f to be the most reliable with low fliers like these . any of the multi point modes chooses twigs ,branches etc

a/v mode , auto i.s.o , minimum shutter speed 1/1250 sec ,lens wide open at f6.3 .low speed burst . CAF .. still finding single point a.f to be the most reliable with low fliers like these . any of the multi point modes chooses twigs ,branches etc

Maybe you should include the Camera Profile you use, and your use of Topaz software? This is NOT a criticism in any way, you get some superb results, but there's more to it than the camera settings, isn't there?

Maybe you should include the Camera Profile you use, and your use of Topaz software? This is NOT a criticism in any way, you get some superb results, but there's more to it than the camera settings, isn't there?
totally pointless Jeremy ,camera profile is down to how a individual likes it . and topaz is available to anyone that wants to purchase it . my i.mac also helps but its showing its age now a 2013 model . but the point your missing is I spend time both getting the shot right and over post processing we have had two long dreary years to sat at home under lockdown ( been worse in Wales than England) with often nothing else to do . .
your also forgetting that I'm no spring chicken chasing birds about at near 76 is not easy even the feathered kind ,or figuring out the barrage of computer generated updates that are part of life these days.
plus all my shots are hand held dodging my way between all the tripods and massive lenses that abound the nouveo rich these days

Anyone on here own a pen f ? I dearly love my em1x but don’t take it everywhere and fancy a pen f . I’ve got about a million questions .
if I can’t love the pen f I might make a switch to Fuji completely , or try a gx9 with little Leica type primes .

Last edited:
Anyone on here own a pen f ? I dearly love my em1x but don’t take it everywhere and fancy a pen f . I’ve got about a million questions .
if I can’t love the pen f I might make a switch to Fuji completely , or try a gx9 with little Leica type primes .
The GX9 is a nice wee camera, obviously m4/3 mount, and at its best with primes. A good companion to my M1ii.

Had a family wedding last night and I must say that iso3200 indoors at night was perfectly useable for me with my em1.2 - I was really pleasantly surprised as it’s my first time using iso this “high” with m43.

will share a few snaps asap,

Had a family wedding last night and I must say that iso3200 indoors at night was perfectly useable for me with my em1.2 - I was really pleasantly surprised as it’s my first time using iso this “high” with m43.

Noise is more controllable if you get the histogram right in camera.

In all honesty high I.s.o values are no longer a problem with todays de.noise solutions the other week I took some shots at 20,500 iso and got workable results

Yes, I have one. Fire away!

In all honesty high I.s.o values are no longer a problem with todays de.noise solutions the other week I took some shots at 20,500 iso and got workable results
Noise is more controllable if you get the histogram right in camera.
.... Even without making any comparisons with any of the full-frame cameras I have owned, I find the noise levels on my E-M1X images to be slightly alarming when viewed at 100% and so I keep my ISO set below 1000 whenever possible, ISO 400/500 being my most used. And this happens with histograms which hardly ever clip either side.

I have given up on Topaz DeNoise AI as it simply doesn't cope at all well with seas with waves. Instead I use NoNoise AI which also has the valuable benefit of being an integrated part of ON1 2022 and so my workflow is also much more time efficient. It's only my ISO 200 shots which don't need any noise reduction. Furthermore, the default sharpening within NoNoise AI results in me hardly ever needing to apply any sharpening at all in post-processing.

with my EM1X and mkII 800 iso was close to my limit with my FF Sony 1600 is close to my limit but it really depends on what your photographing and if you have to crop as Jeff says you can go a lot higher and get good results too .

Rob.

Handheld, ISO 500, tricky against strong sunlight but this lens so justly deserves its flagship status. Expensive? sort of, but worth making the financial sacrifice for and believe me I have!!

AGAINST THE LIGHT! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
with my EM1X and mkII 800 iso was close to my limit with my FF Sony 1600 is close to my limit but it really depends on what your photographing and if you have to crop as Jeff says you can go a lot higher and get good results too .

Rob.
.... I think you hit the nail on the head, Rob. Even with the Olympus supertelephoto flagship I am often shooting distant surfers while the tide is out and am needing to crop substantially to compose the picture I want.

Yes, I have one. Fire away!
I suppose my questions are based around the cost of them mostly
are they worth the money ? Is the image quality comparable to the em1x ?
what’s the iso performance like ( I live in the uk and don’t seem to see low iso often ) ?
do you enjoy using it ( a big thing for me ) ?
would you buy it now having used one ?
iv wanted one since they came out and always talked myself off them for some reason . I’m not great at decisions to be honest especially not when they are £500 plus lol

OK - firstly, I'd had a MKII OM-D1 on Test and Wow for a weekend. I took it back to the shop and was looking at the Oly kit. I picked up a Pen F and knew I wanted one!

I love it, it fits in my hand nicely, and is hugely capable. It does not do stuff as well as the MKII I now have; it isn't as fast at focussing, and my perception is that the low ISO images are better from the MKII - that isn't empirical though.
The EVF form factor is great too, I hardly every use the rear screen, except when swivelling it to get the camera high or low etc.
The silent shutter is poor for moving subjects, rolling shutter artefacts.

Worth the money - I'd say yes, in that I've used it as my go to camera, small bag, couple of lenses (the 75mm f1.8 is lovely) I use it for street - inconspicuous, looks like a film camera, I zone focus so no problem with focussing.. It had coped with everything I've asked it. I use the 17mm f1.8 for street.
If mine broke I'd do what I could to get another
I love the front dial - switch it to Mono and wow. Fine tune the colour for the Colour item on that dial and get luscious jpgs.
Battery, I have two and if I'm doing street I carry a powerbank and recharge the first one as I'm walking about, with a USB charger. The Battery indicator in the viewfinder is magical - you never know what you are going to get...

I really really want Olympus to be my only system but I can’t make my self sell my Nikon d810
I might swop some kit out and buy a penf and hope i don’t regret it

@RedRobin dont get me wrong, at iso3200 and 100+%, the noise can be quite ugly. But for the purpose of my snaps for memories at a family wedding they’re perfectly fine. They’ll probably go no further than Facebook anyway :LOL:

Hello everybody! I've had my EM1 MIII for almost 8 weeks, and I am enjoying it enormously.
Tonight I thought that I would give the "starry focus" a go, and it seems to work very well. This shot was taken with the 12-40 F2.8, which appears to have very good optics.
The blue sky is the result of the Auto WB - in reality it should be a muddy red/brown, but it looks much nicer(to me) as blue.
The bright "star" is actually Jupiter.

JupiterTPB015152_01.jpg

Could be interesting but if it replaces the EM-1X it will have to AF like a R5 or A1 time will tell, they also need to get the 150/400 supply sorted out .

Rob.

I have both a Pen-F and a GX9, My main reason for the GX9 is the pen is black/silver so more noticeable than the all black Lumix for candid shots.
I would have bought an all black Pen, but even the used prices were way more than the GX new.
There is little difference between the cameras except the GX has a tilt screen rather than the flippy one which I use way more for street stuff.
I care little about the film simulations and the art stuff, as I only shoot raw.
The 12-32 kit lens that came on the GX is really good, and tiny and not an electronic zoom, but has stabilisation that works with the cameras.

I have both a Pen-F and a GX9, My main reason for the GX9 is the pen is black/silver so more noticeable than the all black Lumix for candid shots.
I would have bought an all black Pen, but even the used prices were way more than the GX new.
There is little difference between the cameras except the GX has a tilt screen rather than the flippy one which I use way more for street stuff.
I care little about the film simulations and the art stuff, as I only shoot raw.
The 12-32 kit lens that came on the GX is really good, and tiny and not an electronic zoom, but has stabilisation that works with the cameras.
Yes I keep looking at the gx9 due to it being much cheaper , I do have a gx7 and I don’t like things about it .

Hi i am new to the Olympus system and i am finding my shots are nowhere near as sharp as most of them that appear on this forum.
Am i doing something wrong or do i have the camera in the wrong settings.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I am currently using an Olympus EM1MKii with the 12/40 pro lens and the 40/150 pro lens.

Hi i am new to the Olympus system and i am finding my shots are nowhere near as sharp as most of them that appear on this forum.
I am currently using an Olympus EM1MKii with the 12/40 pro lens and the 40/150 pro lens.
Hi and welcome to TP

Can I suggest you post some of the pictures because by asking as you have done is bit like asking for a piece of string......as we have no idea what to suggest without knowing more details.......and yes, pilot error can give rise to sharpness(?) issues ;)

And related to that what subjects are you shooting?

PS perhaps also give us an insight into your previous camera(s) and camera usage experience?

Last edited:
As above your question is to vague , it could be inexperience , wrong settings , processing , a lot of people coming from a DSLR expect these to perform the same they don’t it’s a learning curve and a couple of wrong settings could upset it . So for starters any chance of a photo of your super control panel to give us a rough idea

This is one i have just found quickly and im amazed i managed to actually get it on to the site.
Ive more years than i like to remember using film SLRs and the DSLR. My last set up was a Canon 5D mkiii and a full range of L glass from wide angle to the 100/400 mkii.
So you can safely say im not new to this game and i sold all the Canon gear purely to save the weigh i was carrying about.
This shot was taken at 250 at F5 iso 200P8190039.JPG
P8190039.JPG

Ah you have come from canon ,the first question is are you using back button focus ?how many focus points ,CAF or SAF .
That will do for starters

Last edited:
Back