Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I don't know how the new Olympus OMD 'WOW' will perform but I am more than satisfied with my E-M1X + 150-400 TC Pro combo. That combo needs the M1X for good centre-of-gravity balance as it was intentionally designed to have. This shot had the 1.4x MC-14 mounted as well and was handheld :

RV CEFAS ENDEAVOUR by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ ^ ^ Read all about this important marine research vessel on my Flickr page.

Last edited:
Last edited:
.... The images you posted earlier as unsharp would have a very shallow depth of focus field anyway because they are close-ups - Even on the Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro (I have that lens too).

Your screen is showing that you shot with 9 AF points and that isn't going to help either for close-ups and macro - There's too much margin for the camera automatically focussing on an unintended part. The camera is just a machine which is programmed to give you the best average it thinks you want and in doing so it can compromise what you really want.

You shot on A-mode so why not at least F/5.6 to increase your DoF for a close-up? Also, ISO Auto is giving away further control to the camera. Better to shoot full Manual-mode and stay in control of each of the 'Holy Trinity' settings.

Last edited:
Hi Black Fox is this the screen you mentioned
Cheers
As far as I can see I would initially switch to SAF or CAF depending on target , and change to either small or single one point only ,try mechanical shutter so you get a rapport with the shooting , and unless your shooting human faces turn off eye detect . If you have BBF set try turning that off to as the front shutter button is hyper sensitive compared to a DSLR … .
Once you have single point AF set try chimping between shots to see where your AF point has landed compared to where you set it .. I have little faith in the multi point system and use single point even for birds in flight

Isn’t the shutter speed far too low ?

It’s lower than I thought too. But for me, having the tiny p20 for £100 used, it’s impossible to justify. Partly because I’m trying to keep my kit small

I know that lots will buy it, weather sealing etc

It’s lower than I thought too. But for me, having the tiny p20 for £100 used, it’s impossible to justify. Partly because I’m trying to keep my kit small

I know that lots will buy it, weather sealing etc
.... F/1.4 with IPX-1 certified Pro weather sealing must be big selling features. Personally, my Oly 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro offers the zoom I need.

Hi Black fox. thanks for that information and i will try those setting the next time i am out with my camera which should be when the 100/400 arrives.
Cheers

Just musing but any other EM1X owners somewhat disappointed that it's never received any meaningful firmware updates in the nearly 3 years since it's launch. Don't get me wrong there's not a lot wrong with it, but soon after they released the EM1 MK III with the Starry Sky AF, the much improved Eye AF, Simplified Control panel etc, and so much at the time was promised for the dedicated subject tracking modes.

Again, Olympus never specifically said they were going to release any firmware updates I know (it was the rumour sites), but since they had such a rich history of announcing Fuji style "Kaizen" updates that massively improved the camera or added new features, it's a shame that the EM1X (or the MK III for that part) hasn't really received much other than a few bug fixes and new lens compatibility updates ?

I think it just stuck me when I was boxing the EM1X up to sell (which I've now changed my mind on), that I for one was expecting so much more. Now I think these models are pretty much dead in the water when it comes to any future firmware updates now the company is no longer owned by Olympus, and that's a real shame. Just interested what other peoples thoughts were ?

Last edited:
Just musing but any other EM1X owners somewhat disappointed that it's never received any meaningful firmware updates in the neatly 3 years since it's launch. Don't get me wrong there's not a lot wrong with it, but soon after they released the EM1 MK III with the Starry Sky AF, the much improved Eye AF, Simplified Control panel etc, and so much at the time was promised for the dedicated subject tracking modes.

Again, Olympus never specifically said they were going to release any firmware updates I know (it was the rumour sites), but since they had such a rich history of announcing Fuji style "Kaizen" updates that massively improved the camera or added new features, it's a shame that the EM1X (or the MK III for that part) hasn't really received much other than a few bug fixes and new lens compatibility updates ?

I think it just stuck me when I was boxing the EM1X up to sell (which I've now changed my mind on), that I for one was expecting so much more. Now I think these models are pretty much dead in the water when it comes to any future firmware updates now the company is no longer owned by Olympus, and that's a real shame. Just interested what other peoples thoughts were ?
Agree Andrew with your sentiments I bought a EM1X last year new and if it wasnt for the fact it was cheap, a ebay purchase I fluked on I would have stayed with the EM1 Mark 2 until the picture on the sale of Olympus and subsequent updates had become clearer. I live in hope that we may get some meaningful updates for the EM1X but I fear the body that was teased at the recent over hyped brand change annoucement is not a EM1X Mark 2 that said it well maybe an excellent camera.when it is launched but I do feel like you we could have had a little more.

I really liked the EM1 mkII and loved the EM1X but as Andrew says updates were slow and did not offer much at all .
As birding is my main interest I like to have great AF as you rarely get a second chance so I moved to Sony a9mkII - every time i compared the 2 systems the Sony always won and i was not prepared to buy the 150/400 ( a lens I wanted )just to see if it made a difference and the wait time is a bit of a joke hence i'm now with Sony only.

I have not ruled out Olympus for later years but they will have to up there game by quite a bit regarding bird photography - everything else is as good as i could have wished for .

Perhaps the WOW camera may change the game .

Rob.

I really liked the EM1 mkII and loved the EM1X but as Andrew says updates were slow and did not offer much at all .
As birding is my main interest I like to have great AF as you rarely get a second chance so I moved to Sony a9mkII - every time i compared the 2 systems the Sony always won and i was not prepared to buy the 150/400 ( a lens I wanted )just to see if it made a difference and the wait time is a bit of a joke hence i'm now with Sony only.

I have not ruled out Olympus for later years but they will have to up there game by quite a bit regarding bird photography - everything else is as good as i could have wished for .

Perhaps the WOW camera may change the game .

Rob.
for me rob advancing (rapidly) years means weight is the sole criteria followed by cost . I gladly take a slight drop in performance for the weight and accessories difference , then for costs olympus is still way down the bottom for bodies and lenses .. I did look into changing to the A9 +200-600 but its still over a kilo heavier doesn't sound a lot but most days I just go walkabout with camera + 100-400 +spare battery in pocket if I take the tripod mount off just over 1.6kg .and that makes a difference to me

Just musing but any other EM1X owners somewhat disappointed that it's never received any meaningful firmware updates in the nearly 3 years since it's launch. Don't get me wrong there's not a lot wrong with it, but soon after they released the EM1 MK III with the Starry Sky AF, the much improved Eye AF, Simplified Control panel etc, and so much at the time was promised for the dedicated subject tracking modes.

.... No, I'm not disappointed about EM1X Firmware updates not being major - I find it does what I want it to do very well and I don't bother comparing Olympus with other brands of cameras. I "always love the one I'm with" in the words of Stephen Stills back in the hippy days.

I don't think that the new owning company of the Olympus brand will have any negative effects, in fact I think the opposite and it will be beneficial for the photographer.

I don't think that any of us know enough about the 'WOW' body yet to reliably suggest it will replace the M1X. Subject to what the 'WOW' (awful name!) offers, there may be a M1X mkII.

I am speculating when I suggest that the 'WOW' may even replace the M1X mkIII as it doesn't appear to have the extra grip.

Hi RedRobin. thanks for the advice and i will make the changes and take the control away from the camera and use my own settings in future and see what results i get.
What would you say is the highest ISO i should go up to before i get to much noise.
Cheers

Hi RedRobin. thanks for the advice and i will make the changes and take the control away from the camera and use my own settings in future and see what results i get.
What would you say is the highest ISO i should go up to before i get to much noise.
Cheers
Personally with the EM1 Mk 2 I stick to 200 ISO for landscapes or anything without a moving subject. I don't like to go above ISO 1000 for wildlife if I can avoid it. I've had some fantastic results at that ISO in good light where I have raised the ISO to get greater depth of field/ shorter shutter speed; but I have had some very grubby results at 1000 when light has been low and I've been forced to use long shutter speeds and wide apertures as well.

for me rob advancing (rapidly) years means weight is the sole criteria followed by cost . I gladly take a slight drop in performance for the weight and accessories difference , then for costs olympus is still way down the bottom for bodies and lenses .. I did look into changing to the A9 +200-600 but its still over a kilo heavier doesn't sound a lot but most days I just go walkabout with camera + 100-400 +spare battery in pocket if I take the tripod mount off just over 1.6kg .and that makes a difference to me
I'm new to micro four thirds. The weight was the deciding factor for me. A slipped disc causes problems sometimes, but I also lack the motivation to carry a heavy weight around on the off chance that I might see something worth photographing.

The EM1 is working brilliantly. I have a 40-150mm F4-F5.6 which weighs next to nothing and takes superb (by my standard) photos. I can leave this camerra hanging around my neck all afternoon and barely notice that it is there.

I've taken more photos in the last 8 weeks than I took in about the previous 10 years, and feel that I am finally getting somewhere with photography.

The autofocus has been a bit of a letdown, and the low light performance takes a bit of getting used to, but the sheer volume of photos that I am getting means that I am getting far better images than I used to.

I'm also loving the 100-400m F5-6.3. The ability to take handheld photos at such a zoom is just fantastic.

Cheers
I was playing with pushing the limits the other week ..and using topaz de noise Ai I got reasonable shots at 20,500 iso . Not recommended for general use though feasible ,believe it or not the slightly lower ones were worse .
However in the field try to keep it as low as possible but I have had useable shots with the 100-400 lens at 6400 iso . Check out my Flickr stream no exif is hidden ,link from any pictures on here

Any consensus on the optimal aperture on the 12-100 Pro?
As Robin Wong said on a recent video use from wide open to f8 (it may have been f11) on any Olympus Pro lens and only worry about the dof you want.

I often use f8 on a number of lenses.

Iv had real nice results from f4-f11 on with my 1x and 12-100 , iso being the deciding factor anything up to 1600 as long as I expose correct , i took a photo of a peragrine the other week at iso 2000 and even topaz couldn’t make it acceptable due to me panicking and shooting at over 2000th shutter speed when probably 800th would have done ( stationary bird )

Back