Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Love the last one

When I joined this forum back in 2012 I had just bought a used Olympus OM10 film camera, a model which I had previously used many years earlier.

Recently I have been thinking about getting an OMD-EM10 IV and would be grateful for any advice regarding pros and cons.

Thanks,
AL

When I joined this forum back in 2012 I had just bought a used Olympus OM10 film camera, a model which I had previously used many years earlier.

Recently I have been thinking about getting an OMD-EM10 IV and would be grateful for any advice regarding pros and cons.

Thanks,
AL

Very nice small camera that is very capable. The 14-42mm EZ pancake lens will go with one nicely for a very compact and light set up.
What do you shoot?
How is important is size?
Do you want/need weather sealing?
If weather sealing is a thing you want go for an E-M5iii.

Thanks Alf.

These days, because of age and health problems, I don't go out with any specific subject in mind, so looking for something small and light which I can carry with me. A compact would suit my needs better probably but I haven't found anything that I particularly fancy apart from the Fuji X100V which is way over my budget.

Weather sealing isn't important - I'm a fair weather person ;)

Thanks again.

Thanks Alf.

These days, because of age and health problems, I don't go out with any specific subject in mind, so looking for something small and light which I can carry with me. A compact would suit my needs better probably but I haven't found anything that I particularly fancy apart from the Fuji X100V which is way over my budget.

Thanks again.

Have you also considered an EPL

Last edited:
I've just rejoined the fold by purchasing an E-M5 ii from MPB. My previous camera (after many DSLRs) was the first iteration of the E-M5, but the addition of the articulated screen will be really helpful for the stuff I'm planning on shooting.

Advice needed

Is the Panasonic Lumix 45-150 ASPH OIS worth getting for my EM1 MK2?

Just as a stop gap until I have the money for a 40 -150 f2.8 PRO or would the results disappoint me as I currently have 2 PRO lenses from Olympus?

I can pick up an "as new" one for £114 so I'm not expecting miracles.

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

Thought it was time to get the studio lights out again in the shed to get photos of Molly, a Romanian Rescue dog who we've had since just after Christmas.

Hard work and very hot.

Can't pick a favourite.

EM1 MK2 with 12-40 f2.8 Pro lens.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oB7zkd]Molly by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oB2jyd]Molly by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oB63t6]Molly by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

All v nice - last on best for me as the collar is not showing.
Also where it shows, the word is upside down and it takes up too much of my attention :)

If you're buying new then the OM-D E-M10 IV or the IIIS are the only options.
The III/IIIS were criticised for dumbing down some of the controls - they removed some flash synching capabilities and moved the HDR and Bracketing options into the auto modes IIRC.
Neither would have bothered me unduly but they were complaints. Both have the 16Mp sensor from the earlier OM-D lines. the IIIS adds sweep panorama over the III.

The M10 IV gets the newer 20Mp sensor and some improvements in the stabilisation and processing. Personally I think it's over priced.

I shoot with an OM-D E-M10II and for me this is a great price/performance balance, Olympus haven't offered anything interesting to me since it's release that I'd consider buying new.
They're available for a couple of hundred quid used and I reckon they're a bargain.

If money is not a problem them the OM-D E-M5III has the newer sensor, weatherproofin, better stabilisation, PDAF, hand held high resolution and the 20Mp sensor. It's only slightly bigger and heavier than the M10. The only thing it misses is the built in flash of the M10.
I keep umming and ahhhing over a used one in the £600 range - they're not available from most of the major retail chains new, having been superseded by the OM5 which IMHO is very overpriced.

As regards lenses the M10 with the 14-42mm EZ lens is absurdly small package.

The PEN-F is also an interesting camera if you are prepared to pay a premium for a pretty, used camera.

Thanks Alf.

Thanks again.
There's a very nice s/h one here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/olympus-e-m10-iv.747251/

I can't speak about the Panasonic lens but the Olympus f4-5.6 40-150mm R punches well above it's very reasonable price.
There are links to my efforts in my mothballed Flickr - link in my sig.

There's actually A silver one in a 2nd hand shop in Birmingham but as I didn't have my glasses on I didn't buy it as the front element looked dirty.

Wish I'd taken a chance now as it was only £60.

Seems to be good lens.

I'll try & get some decent test images in better light over the weekend.

I've seen some great close up flower photos on Flickr using this lens.

For £60 it'll see me through until I have the funds to complete the f2.8 trinity

Having just returned from a short holiday in Edinburgh, where photography was not the main focus - our 40th wedding anniversary was - I used the 12-45, with the odd shot with the Laowa 7.5. I didn't take my 12-100 (too bulky/heavy) and never (well, hardly ever) missed it so it may soon have to go.

At last the fussy little buggers are coming to my bird feeders! I have had no luck enticing birds to my garden in the past, I think the fact that one of my neighbours cut his trees back severely didn't help. I thought I would give it one more go and low and behold they are here in their droves. I just sat in full view of them with a cuppa and my OM1 on pro-capture and got this picture of a starling.
Starling.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

PS if anyone wants pictures of pigeons I now have hundreds of them!!!

Good set Trevor

MUSHY PEAS!! - Subject far too distant to achieve acceptable image quality IMO. Proof that there is no such thing as the perfect camera even though the sun's position didn't help.

I think I have found the limits of my 150-400mm TC Pro + MC-20 with TC engaged and tripod mounted. More info on Flckr.

It's a secret and protected wild Osprey nest with webcams. But the viewing spot is miles away and typical 'birders' have scopes and binos and not so much experience of photography.

Osprey_OMD13129 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

A few from today at RSPB Greylake taken on the OM1 and the 150-400+1.25+1.4 =1400mm as full frame hand held

Last edited:
MUSHY PEAS!! - Subject far too distant to achieve acceptable image quality IMO. Proof that there is no such thing as the perfect camera even though the sun's position didn't help.

I think I have found the limits of my 150-400mm TC Pro + MC-20 with TC engaged and tripod mounted. More info on Flckr.

It's a secret and protected wild Osprey nest with webcams. But the viewing spot is miles away and typical 'birders' have scopes and binos and not so much experience of photography.

I remember going to Loch Garten near Aviemore in Scotland many years ago, which has an open to the public RSPB Osprey viewing centre. I remember at the time my longest lens was 400mm (which I thought at the time was made me a wildlife pro), only to find out as you have said Robin, due to the protected nature of the birds (especially during breeding season), we were about 3/4 mile away, and on my shots the birds was just a tiny dot. To see them properly, you had to use the RSPB's pre-aimed telescopes or just watch the TV screen in the visitors centre to see anything decent.

Reminds me of my days as a warden at Loch Garten!

I think robin this is more to do with heat haze than optical failings . even at close range 300mm +1.4 on saturday a lot of mine suffered from the heat .. theres no way round it bar early mornings or late evenings

I think robin this is more to do with heat haze than optical failings . even at close range 300mm +1.4 on saturday a lot of mine suffered from the heat .. theres no way round it bar early mornings or late evenings
.... Certainly heat haze is a factor and is something unavoidable when it's there. OMD has stated that the coatings on the 150-400mm TC Pro are exceptionally good regading haze and so that's why I am investigating it.

I have an OMD case number and they have asked me to send them the original RAW file.

The other factor may be how I have post-processed the RAW image.

I remember going to Loch Garten near Aviemore in Scotland many years ago, which has an open to the public RSPB Osprey viewing centre. I remember at the time my longest lens was 400mm (which I thought at the time was made me a wildlife pro), only to find out as you have said Robin, due to the protected nature of the birds (especially during breeding season), we were about 3/4 mile away, and on my shots the birds was just a tiny dot. To see them properly, you had to use the RSPB's pre-aimed telescopes or just watch the TV screen in the visitors centre to see anything decent.
.... Yes, that pretty much describes the same scenario except not RSPB but a privately arranged session for only 6 people max.

I'll know this week but I may have another session in August and I have asked for early morning.

.... Certainly heat haze is a factor and is something unavoidable when it's there. OMD has stated that the coatings on the 150-400mm TC Pro are exceptionally good regading haze and so that's why I am investigating it.

I have an OMD case number and they have asked me to send them the original RAW file.

The other factor may be how I have post-processed the RAW image.
Looking at the image on Flickr it may be that the camera missed focus as the trees are far sharper than the subjects.

How much closer are the trees as it's difficult to tell Robin?

Looking at the image on Flickr it may be that the camera missed focus as the trees are far sharper than the subjects.

How much closer are the trees as it's difficult to tell Robin?
have to agree with you on that the green bushes in the foreground are sharp , I will hazard a guess that robins used bird i.d with multi point focus , where better results would come from single point .. over to you robin :cool:

Back