Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Looks like you enjoyed your trip! At least I hope you did, look forward to seeing more. Any regrets on the 150-400?

Super shots Gordon

Looks like you enjoyed your trip! At least I hope you did, look forward to seeing more. Any regrets on the 150-400?
I really enjoyed the whole experience. No regrets on the 150 -400 it was on one body all the time. There were 5 in the party and 3 of us were using the OM1 with the 150 - 400. You could tell the ones who weren't using Oly cameras by the groans as they missed birds taking off!
I will post more images but am aware of image overload so will try to not overdo it. The images are all viewable on my flickr page though.

As a matter of interest Gordon are you shooting in RAW or j.peg .. more super shots btw

Hi Stephen, how are you getting on with the OM-5 ?
Enjoying it immensely - when I get chance to get out with it. I have the extra grip for it - the genuine Olympus one - and I'm 50-50 about it. When I want ultra-light and low bulk I remove it, but going out for "serious stuff" I put it on. But I wouldn't cry if someone took it away. Next purchase (eventually when funds permit) wil be the 8-25, meanwhile I use the Laowa 7.5mm which is perfect on the OM5. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I really need the 8-25, but ....

Enjoying it immensely - when I get chance to get out with it. I have the extra grip for it - the genuine Olympus one - and I'm 50-50 about it. When I want ultra-light and low bulk I remove it, but going out for "serious stuff" I put it on. But I wouldn't cry if someone took it away. Next purchase (eventually when funds permit) wil be the 8-25, meanwhile I use the Laowa 7.5mm which is perfect on the OM5. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I really need the 8-25, but ....
I love the 8-25mm
It is my most used lens when not shooting nature and it can be good for that too

Bee on chives by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The 8-25 is a fantastic lens, one of the best I've ever used ! But its big and heavy for m4/3 and I preferred the Penny 8-18 even on my EM1 mk 3.

Thank you. I am useless at bird ID but enjoy photographing them.
You may want to get the app ‘Merlin’ it is good and uses sound and photos.
We saw these on the chobe by the ‘rapids’ is that where you saw them?

Morning all,

A couple of months ago I was asking about Olympus kit to replace my Canon EF gear. I bought an E-M10III with 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes to see how I would get on as it wasn't too much financial outlay if I didn't like it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it since and its a joy throwing everything in a small sling rather than lugging about a camera rucksack on general days out.

I am not ready to totally move on from Canon (yet!) but I am selling all of my "general" kit (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) and keeping my "wildlife" kit - 100-400mm and 500mm f4. I'm selling my 2 bodies (1DXII and RP) and buying an R7.

This will give me E-M10III with 17, 25, 45mm and then R7 with 100-400 and 500mm

My plan is to upgrade the E-M10 to an OM-5 in the new year because there are things I'd like to have more to hand eg bracketing and I like the sound of the built in ND filters.

I am probably going to buy a 12-45 f4 Pro to use for family stuff with some of the proceeds of the sale of the Canon gear. We have my Dad's 70th in November and then Christmas with 2 young nephews so I think the 12-45 would be more useful for that than my primes. I will probably add one of the 40-150 Pro lenses too (I have a cheap 40-150 from many moons ago when I first tried m43 with an E-PL2)

My question is what to do about flash? Can anyone recommend one? It won't be getting used much, just for things like the boys opening Christmas presents etc.

Thanks for all your help and patience,

Neil

Morning all,

A couple of months ago I was asking about Olympus kit to replace my Canon EF gear. I bought an E-M10III with 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes to see how I would get on as it wasn't too much financial outlay if I didn't like it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it since and its a joy throwing everything in a small sling rather than lugging about a camera rucksack on general days out.

I am not ready to totally move on from Canon (yet!) but I am selling all of my "general" kit (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) and keeping my "wildlife" kit - 100-400mm and 500mm f4. I'm selling my 2 bodies (1DXII and RP) and buying an R7.

This will give me E-M10III with 17, 25, 45mm and then R7 with 100-400 and 500mm

My plan is to upgrade the E-M10 to an OM-5 in the new year because there are things I'd like to have more to hand eg bracketing and I like the sound of the built in ND filters.

I am probably going to buy a 12-45 f4 Pro to use for family stuff with some of the proceeds of the sale of the Canon gear. We have my Dad's 70th in November and then Christmas with 2 young nephews so I think the 12-45 would be more useful for that than my primes. I will probably add one of the 40-150 Pro lenses too (I have a cheap 40-150 from many moons ago when I first tried m43 with an E-PL2)

My question is what to do about flash? Can anyone recommend one? It won't be getting used much, just for things like the boys opening Christmas presents etc.

Thanks for all your help and patience,

Neil
I bought a Nissin i40 from CEX for a bargain £38.

Another flash to go for is the Godox V350.

Anyone know if the EM1 MK2 is capable of recording video in the sensor's native 4:3 ratio?

I'm going to be transferring some cine film shortly.

Anyone know if the EM1 MK2 is capable of recording video in the sensor's native 4:3 ratio?

I'm going to be transferring some cine film shortly.
Pretty sure it's 16x9 only (or 17 x 9 for C4K)

Am I the only one who thinks that OM Systems has been far too quiet over the last year. Minimal firmware updates for the OM-1, no new pro body (or even any official development announcements), and very little in the lens front. I thought they might have used the Panasonic G9 II announcement to announce something themselves and steal some limelight back, especially when it appears from initial testing reports that the G9 II leapfrogs the OM-1 in a number of areas (albeit it being a bigger body).

Don't get me wrong, the OM-1 is still a superb camera as it is, but I fear that if OM Systems treads water for too long and doesn't announce something or capture the imagination of new prospective buyers and soon, it won't be long for this world, especially with FF and APS-C bodies getting cheaper and smaller and lighter (yes I know that the M43 lenses are generally smaller and lighter). Just a bit worried they might be struggling and so I won't be investing any more money into the system until I know it's not about to fold ?
I think the 90mm macro this year was extremely important and an excellent release. Its widely regarded as the best macro lens full stop on any system. But yes the lack of firmware updates that have added any features i agree is poor. Even just an insect subject detection added would have been nice. Im sure the om1 could easily do it.
And different options on the video recording too.

nice series of shots Dave

Might be interesting to some (but then perhaps not ;))

I've just started processing my images and videos shot last month during our week visit to NYC by the wife and myself. To save weight, I only took the OM-1 body, GoPro 10, the Panny Leica 8-18mm (perfect focal length), and rather than my usual 12-100 F4 Pro, to save some weight I took my 12-40 F2.8 pro. What I found is that on nearly all videos shot with the 12-40 you can hear the lens motor whining away, if I forgot to put on the external mic and just used the internal ones. All the shots with my 8-18mm were deadly silent even using the built in mics.

Now that I'm back, I've tried with the 12-100 and sure enough that's dead quiet as well (even with IS on) ? Anyone else noticed this with the original 12-40 (I wonder if that's why they brought out a MK II version) ?

Back