Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi I would just like to say hello to everyone I'm a new member and I see this is a thread for everything Olympus and OM systems.
I have a question regarding the OM-1. I'm in the market for a new dive housing I just wondered if anyone on here has one and what their thoughts are on them. I have previously used ikelite ones. But these days with 4k video I have heard of issues with overheating. Plus I don't want to spend a fortune on a top end one any help would be greatly received.

Last edited:
Glad you like it Terry , as I told you it was purely a weight issue with me

First bird shot with the EM1X and Jeff's C1 setting (thanks Jeff - great setup).

Not the best but very dark conditions and am quite pleased at the output at 6400ISO with a little DeNoising.

As big as it will go at 300mm (and this is slightly cropped), need to move the feeder I think.

Blue Tit 1sm.jpg

Last edited:
Took a trip out RSPB Greylake yesterday -2 and quite frankly rubbish light most of the time but managed to get a few photos

Last edited:
Popped out to RSPB Swell Woods today as the Somerset Levels looks like the Lost City of Atlantis AKA waterworld Not sure on the first image juvenile song thrush? please correct me if I am wrong The cranes once again eluded me so only a distant shot. Swell Woods always a challenge as light all year around in the woods is poor so high ISO is always a given here

Popped out to RSPB Swell Woods today as the Somerset Levels looks like the Lost City of Atlantis AKA waterworld Not sure on the first image juvenile song thrush? please correct me if I am wrong The cranes once again eluded me so only a distant shot. Swell Woods always a challenge as light all year around in the woods is poor so high ISO is always a given here

Meadow Pipit for me, Terry.

Thanks my bird ID skills so need to improve!!

No problem ,everyone starts somewhere!

Try the "Photo ID" option on Merlin Bird ID App, it's free and surprisingly good, at least for North American and European birds where the training dataset is well-developed. In Ecuador last month, I met a volunteer who was gathering photos and sound recordings of species there, precisely to improve the dataset for Ecuadorian birds.

For your bird, which falls into the "streaky little brown thing" category, one of the most obvious clues is the bill - compare your bird with Jeff's "streaky little brown thing" female Reed Bunting - yours has a long, slim "pipit" bill, while Jeff's has a stout, stubby "finch/bunting" bill. Jeff's Blackbird further up the page has a more typical "thrush" bill. Also, Song thrush is quite a bit bigger, though size is difficult to tell from a photo.

I wonder if OM systems are ever going to release the
50-200mm f2.8 and the 50-250mm f4. All camera makers seem to be dragging there feet these days over release dates.
To me the 50-200mm f2.8 would be the perfect lens
I reckon they would fly off the shelves and probably a lot more people would swap systems

I wonder if OM systems are ever going to release the
50-200mm f2.8 and the 50-250mm f4. All camera makers seem to be dragging there feet these days over release dates.
To me the 50-200mm f2.8 would be the perfect lens
I reckon they would fly off the shelves and probably a lot more people would swap systems
Yep I am waiting for the same!

I'd like the 50-250mm f4. I might be able to afford it by the time it's released......
Or I might have died of old age....

Hi I would just like to say hello to everyone I'm a new member and I see this is a thread for everything Olympus and OM systems.
I have a question regarding the OM-1. I'm in the market for a new dive housing I just wondered if anyone on here has one and what their thoughts are on them. I have previously used ikelite ones. But these days with 4k video I have heard of issues with overheating. Plus I don't want to spend a fortune on a top end one any help would be greatly received.
Probably worth starting a new thread in Equipment or something like that. It'll get a lot more attention.

Do you find yourself muttering "Focus on the damn bird, that's obviously a twig"?

Also the two bird problem, with focus jumping between them - "No, focus on the bird in the MIDDLE of the frame, stupid!"

Do you find yourself muttering "Focus on the damn bird, that's obviously a twig"?

Also the two bird problem, with focus jumping between them - "No, focus on the bird in the MIDDLE of the frame, stupid!"
Once you start muttering to yourself ,it’s men in white coats time LOL and I’ve often had a two bird problem being married to one of them is the real problem

Last edited:
A question for thoise who know better than me (which is probably everyone to be fair) I have only ever used Lightroom for editing my images. I have just bought an OM-1 to have a play with. Is there a better editor out there for orf files? I'm reluctant to spend a lot of time learning a whole new program but will if there is a signifigant advantage to be had.

Also is Topaz much better at denoise than Lightroom?

I have been out this weekend with the OM-1 and the 12-100 f4 pro and found them to be a really good combination.

Freya aka Mrs Beales by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

fern and puddle by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

A question for thoise who know better than me (which is probably everyone to be fair) I have only ever used Lightroom for editing my images. I have just bought an OM-1 to have a play with. Is there a better editor out there for orf files? I'm reluctant to spend a lot of time learning a whole new program but will if there is a signifigant advantage to be had.

Also is Topaz much better at denoise than Lightroom?

I have been out this weekend with the OM-1 and the 12-100 f4 pro and found them to be a really good combination.

Freya aka Mrs Beales by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

fern and puddle by Tim Riesner, on Flickr
Firstly excellent shots, thanks for sharing.
I personally have been using affinity photo for the last few years and I’ve never had an issue with the software. I’ve recently found their denoise feature and have tried it on a couple of photos and the effect seems great for my needs.
I have to admit I’ve always wanted to try light room etc but the subscription plan puts me off a little so unfortunately I can’t help with regards to how it compares.

Tim I use LR/PS + a topaz denoise plug in which is installed in PS .. so I do all my initial cropping ,colours etc in LR then send to PS where I de.noise and re.size for the net .. finished pic is then exported to my desktop to use .
Do not get dragged into photo AI … the LIghtroom denoise is also good but last time I looked it took its time ..
all these up to date programs also need up to date computer systems to unfortunately the older the computer the longer it takes

That 12-100 is a sweet lens. I couldn't believe how small it was when I tried it - ultimately went for the 40-150mm F4 but have some regrets.

Tim I use LR/PS + a topaz denoise plug in which is installed in PS .. so I do all my initial cropping ,colours etc in LR then send to PS where I de.noise and re.size for the net .. finished pic is then exported to my desktop to use .
Do not get dragged into photo AI … the LIghtroom denoise is also good but last time I looked it took its time ..
all these up to date programs also need up to date computer systems to unfortunately the older the computer the longer it takes
Thanks for the insight Jeff, I must admit I was surprised by how well lightroom denoise coped with a couple of images, about 15 seconds seems to be average to denoise one of my images, I have no idea if that's good or poor.

Thanks for the insight Jeff, I must admit I was surprised by how well lightroom denoise coped with a couple of images, about 15 seconds seems to be average to denoise one of my images, I have no idea if that's good or poor.
That’s good I have a up to date Mac mini with the fast Apple chip and it takes around a minute ,so yes it’s very good

Back