Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last night I went out with my E-M1 MkII for the first time since I got my OM-1. Went with both bodies.

Two bodies, two lenses, challenging environment. Using the older body was a challenge, with muscle memory, but also with how the older tech struggled with low light and fast moving subjects.

Usually I go to commissions with a Nikon Z body and the OM-1. Wonderful for stimulating the brain - different buttons, zoom twists, etc. But I wanted to travel light, and did. So, similar cameras, two generations apart. I'm pleased with what I got, but so glad that I put the demanding tele-zoom on the OM-1, and the more forging medium wide zoom on the older body.

A question for thoise who know better than me (which is probably everyone to be fair) I have only ever used Lightroom for editing my images. I have just bought an OM-1 to have a play with. Is there a better editor out there for orf files? I'm reluctant to spend a lot of time learning a whole new program but will if there is a signifigant advantage to be had.

Also is Topaz much better at denoise than Lightroom?

I have been out this weekend with the OM-1 and the 12-100 f4 pro and found them to be a really good combination.

Freya aka Mrs Beales by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

fern and puddle by Tim Riesner, on Flickr
Nice photos, I have used Topaz Denoise stand alone and it worked well

One for the birdy wildlife folk.

What is the difference between the 75-300mm mark 1 and mark 2 versions? I can't figure it out, and on the used market the older one is a decent bit less moolah.

I know it's a slow lens, but it looks decent enough and it's lovely and small and light. The 100-400 is obviously a better fit for me, but my budget would need to double. And then more. :D

One for the birdy wildlife folk.

What is the difference between the 75-300mm mark 1 and mark 2 versions? I can't figure it out, and on the used market the older one is a decent bit less moolah.

I know it's a slow lens, but it looks decent enough and it's lovely and small and light. The 100-400 is obviously a better fit for me, but my budget would need to double. And then more. :D
The trouble is with wildlife / birding focal length is king , I now shoot with a OM1 + 300f4 + 1.4 tc == to 420mm x2 times crop so = to 840 mm FF equiv .. I still find myself yearning for more even using the 2 x digital t.c in camera it’s not enough that’s a whopping 1680 mm focal .. that’s still hand holdable with the latest gear though .. you really need to think it out before committing to spending money

The trouble is with wildlife / birding focal length is king , I now shoot with a OM1 + 300f4 + 1.4 tc == to 420mm x2 times crop so = to 840 mm FF equiv .. I still find myself yearning for more even using the 2 x digital t.c in camera it’s not enough that’s a whopping 1680 mm focal .. that’s still hand holdable with the latest gear though .. you really need to think it out before committing to spending money
Oh don't worry, I'm not expecting those kind of results! Just a long zoom lens for wandering around the seaside, spotting deer etc. I rented the 300mm f4 last year and took it to Horsea - that is one heck of a lens, absolutely adored it, but it's not affordable to me (although I'll be renting it if I do want to dk "proper" wildlife).

Was just wondering what version 2 brought. I don't think I'll be picking one up immediately - I want the 12-40 first for a walkabout lens - but it's affordable, tiny and gives enough range for my river birds comfortably.

Oh don't worry, I'm not expecting those kind of results! Just a long zoom lens for wandering around the seaside, spotting deer etc. I rented the 300mm f4 last year and took it to Horsea - that is one heck of a lens, absolutely adored it, but it's not affordable to me (although I'll be renting it if I do want to dk "proper" wildlife).

Was just wondering what version 2 brought. I don't think I'll be picking one up immediately - I want the 12-40 first for a walkabout lens - but it's affordable, tiny and gives enough range for my river birds comfortably.

Let me know if you wish to buy one.

I bought the 75-300 Mk2 from this forum in October but it's not getting the use I thought it would. It's mint and boxed.

And as the car tells me it now needs a service (great timing over Christmas!) I'd be happy to let it go for what I paid for it (£260).

Let me know if interested and I'll pop a classified up.

That first one is a belter!

A quick question can any one recommend a on camera remote that would allow the firing of a second om1 when the shutter is pressed on the first om1. I need a range of about 30metres.

Last edited:
OI share on your mobile
Hi thanks for the reply but
It will only do 10metres. I also I want to be able to film with 2 cameras at the same time I will be using the 150-400mm on my main body and tracking the subject. So I need a trigger from one to another 30 metres away. I can get a separate trigger from hahnel 100m and JJC 30m that is hand fired that I could possibly adapt to do the job at a push but ideally if one om1 was the master the other would fire on pressing the shutter button. I won't be using AF on the second camera as I will be using a wide angle lens 7-14mm f2.8 preset at 5' with an aperture of 5.6 set which will give me more than enough depth of field for what I need.

Hopefully I have now explained what I need in more detail.

Last edited:
due to the horrible bland grey skies yesterday I have been playing with P/S sky replacement .. work in progress mk2 and mk4
the impossible dream by jeff cohen, on Flickr

gathering storm (sky replacement) by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Pretty incredible. I think I'd be tempted to add a tiny bit of gaussian blur to the sky layer - just to move it out of focus a tiny bit (I wonder whether even a tiny bit would be too much, though - such is the nature of this work!).

For what it's worth, they are lovely nonetheless - the don't look particularly unnatural to me. Absolutely remarkable. The bird poses are stunning.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS to ALL OLYMPIANS ! Taken with my Pen E-P1, my first mirrorless ILC. I still like using it because it has such a nice metal body, giving a feeling of quality ... :

PC243410-c.jpg

PC243412-f.jpg

PC243415-f.jpg

Last edited:
Popped out to RSPB Swell Woods today as the Somerset Levels looks like the Lost City of Atlantis AKA waterworld Not sure on the first image juvenile song thrush? please correct me if I am wrong The cranes once again eluded me so only a distant shot. Swell Woods always a challenge as light all year around in the woods is poor so high ISO is always a given here

Nice to see the cranes ! I think your first bird is a skylark...

Nice to see the cranes ! I think your first bird is a skylark...
Fordsabroad reckons it's a meadow pippet I wasn't sure hence me asking in my original post

Jeff, I have also seen some of your waxwing shots on the N Wales wildlife facebook page and they are a cut above the rest. :clap:
Thank you very much Jerry , I can obviously only post the ones I have uploaded to flickr on here otherwise the i.q suffers . But it was a wild couple of days with over 1000 shots taken and only 5 miles from home

Back