Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I refer you to the tough tg7 mods over the tg6
It's a rebranding exercise.
I may be pleasantly surprise and it's a new 1x mkii but I doubt it

A master work of Contradiction ,it’s a sigma lens but it’s smaller for MFT . , look either it’s identical to a sigma 150-600 or it’s totally different in which case it’s not a sigma , they being a Japanese lens company may well have helped in the design which is logical,and one of there factories may be making it under license…. But if Volkswagen makes a engine for a Porsche car it’s still a Porsche

The lens has to be a shrunken version of the full frame lens - if it isn’t , it totally goes against the ethos of M43.

The lens has to be a shrunken version of the full frame lens - if it isn’t , it totally goes against the ethos of M43.
It will be a shrunken version and in theory should actually be sharper around the edges of the frame the extra price will be because of the smaller amount of sales. In theory the AF of the lens should be better because Sigma will have access to all the specs and are being licensed to build it instead of backward engineering it.

I can't imagine it'll be that shrunken - maybe some elements will be smaller but it's still a 600mm f6 lens, which physically will be pretty big.

Found this https://photorumors.com/2024/01/26/...ens-leaked-on-amazon-available-for-pre-order/

Does look like it may be a sigma design, for example, 25 elements in 15 groups, but claims it works with teleconverters (!), sync IS, IPX1 splash and dust proofing and fluorine coated element. If it manages to get that sigma design (which is already great), but project to a smaller sensor with excellent resolution it may just be absolutely amazing.

They are claiming 0.7x magnification as well, but I see an asterix. I wonder if they are taking the magnification on a 35mm sensor and doubling it - in which case, that's not how magnification works and is more than a bit cheeky. Still, that's not at all confirmed, and if it is genuine 0.7x magnification that's a significant change from the sigma for sony/L mount, and will be useful when shooting closer as it implies a much closer focusing distance.

I think it's exciting! Even if it is basically a rebrand, if it works brilliantly it gives insane reach in a relatively portable package. It also means you're carrying a crazy fast camera and a lens, instead of carrying a much more expensive super high res camera that you intend to crop later, with the associated file management issues that creates.

Edit: it would also mean there is a theoretical insane 3 lens set up that does everything - the 12-40mm 2.8 for general purpose shooting, the 40-150mm F4 for general purpose telephoto and the 150-600mm for everything wildlife. That is still probably considerable size and weight (and probably cost though I won't do the maths) saving over a 24-70mm f4, 70-200mm f4 (or 70-300mm 5.6), 150-600mm and 2x teleconverter with a 35mm camera.

Those sums probably get more complicated when you compare to aps size systems like fuji but it's still a really exciting development. I'd certainly rent the lens whenever I fancy wildlife, perhaps even over the 300mm prime.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I was just about to post this you beat me too it's a bit different though

Last edited:
A few from a recent visit to Greylake RSPB Somerset The Cranes as elusive as ever taken with the lens at 1000mm and the 1.4tc ended up at 1400mm at full frame equivalent

#

l

Last edited:
Nothing special, but I wanted to reacquaint myself with the Olympus and action shots of my dog.
Particularly impressed by how small he is in the frame and how quickly the OM-1 finds him. one of a long burst all in focus.
Of course i had some failures, nothing is perfect.
40-150 pro. @F2.8
Processed in PureRaw 3
nod to Toby and Pete @snerkler @imattersuk

Tracking Test by Trevor, on Flickr

Nothing special, but I wanted to reacquaint myself with the Olympus and action shots of my dog.
Particularly impressed by how small he is in the frame and how quickly the OM-1 finds him. one of a long burst all in focus.
Of course i had some failures, nothing is perfect.
40-150 pro. @F2.8
Processed in PureRaw 3
nod to Toby and Pete @snerkler @imattersuk

Tracking Test by Trevor, on Flickr
Proof that you don't need any more gear, especially a 70-200 GM II, behave Mr Bray !!!

You probably know that waxwings "irrupt" from Scandinavia every few years? Possibly when the berry crop there fails and/or they have a very successful breeding season there. Well this is a waxwing winter in the UK and they've been seen all over the country. You probably need to connect with some birders' websites to find out where they have been seen in your area. :)

You probably know that waxwings "irrupt" from Scandinavia every few years? Possibly when the berry crop there fails and/or they have a very successful breeding season there. Well this is a waxwing winter in the UK and they've been seen all over the country. You probably need to connect with some birders' websites to find out where they have been seen in your area. :)
Many thanks for the info, to be honest I’ve never really looked into their natural habitat etc so the info you have provided is an eye opener for me. I’m off to have a good google now and to find info on sightings around here. I’m in Lincolnshire so hopefully I can find something.

Many thanks for the info, to be honest I’ve never really looked into their natural habitat etc so the info you have provided is an eye opener for me. I’m off to have a good google now and to find info on sightings around here. I’m in Lincolnshire so hopefully I can find something.

I'm sure there's been plenty in Lincs. In winter they tend to feed on ornamental rowan berries in supermarket carparks (yes, really) although naturally they feed on hawthorn berries. Good luck.

Looks like a few nice tweaks they have increased the subject detect mode and added Nd grads and doubled the buffer (be interested to know how much longer that will take to clear as the G9 mkii takes a while) that said I very rarely ever fill the buffer.
We also have a couple of extra frame rates. Supposedly they have tweaked the AF as well. Stabilization is slightly improved. They have tweaked the high Res mode for 14 bit as well .
Can't say as I'm going to rush out to upgrade though. I think my 2 Olympus OM-1's are safe for a while longer yet.

Last edited:
Well I might be alone in this, but I'm very underwhelmed with today's announcements. I'm convinced that 90% of "new" features of the OM1-II should have been applied in a firmware update to the original OM-1 (as OM Systems promised in the launch of the OM1 2 years ago, that they would continue it's development by firmware). From what I've read online, it seems that door has been closed by comments from OMS. Aside from a few very minor feature and bug fixes to the OM-1, that never happened. I get that the increased internal dram buffer allows more shots in the buffer, but I never hit that anyway with my OM-1 (no where near in fact), although I'm sure others mileage will vary.

Whilst my original OM-1 is the camera I paid for 2 years ago and is still as good, having the door slammed in loyal users faces in as much as if you want the new features then stump up an additional £2,200, is really quite jarring, especially as I've been with M4/3 for nearly 10 years now and became accustomed to Olympus's stunning firmware programs. It seems OM Systems has a very different model and that is fleece and bleed it's user base as much as possible.

Even the new 150-600 lens which we all know if based on the Sigma unit, has suddenly doubled in price with an OM Systems label on it from what it can be purchased for on the Sony/ Canon/ Nikon mounts. I get they might have "optimised" it's design (although it's still a colossally large and heavy lens for M4/3), but really - double the price ??

As I said before I won't be selling off what M4/3 equipment I currently have (as it still works), but personally, I think that's me done for anymore investment in OM-Systems and perhaps the M4/3 system as a whole. If i did buy anything else M4/3 related, I can only see it being the G9 II for it's stellar video abilities, but then my Nikon Z8 does pretty much all that (and 8K and internal Raw) for a 250g weight penalty over the G9 II.

I think my preferred wildlife kit would be either my current OM-1 with the 300mm F4 Pro and 1.4X TC, or my Z8 with the 180-600 (in DX Mode - 270-900mm), @ nearly 20mp. If I changed to the new OM-Systems 150-600 then the combined weight with my OM-1 would be 2,699g where as my Z8 with the 180-600 is only 160g heavier at 2,860g (and a pretty much identical weight if I use my Z7 II body instead of the Z8). True, the OM Systems lens goes to 1,200mm, vs 900mm on the 180-600 Nikon (in DX Mode), however the Nikon lens is nearly £1000 cheaper !

I've been pontificating for a while should I go all in with Olympus / OM Systems or flesh out my Nikon Z system. I think today has made up my mind. Don't get me wrong, I like the equipment I currently have and it won't be going anywhere soon, and If some of you are really excited for what's been announced today, I'm very pleased for you, it's just after 2 years I expected more...much more. Any future money on spend on my "hobby" certainly won't be going to OM-Systems, which I feel very sad about as I loved Olympus.

Last edited:
Well I won't be upgrading to the Mk2 as I haven't explored all the possibilities of the Mk 1 yet! To be fair to OMDS no-one was expecting a MK2 yet. Maybe they should have waited another year and added some really significant improvements. Neither of the new lenses appeal to me either - I wonder what happened to the 50 -250 f4 zoom which might have done......

Last edited:
Well I might be alone in this, but I'm very underwhelmed with today's announcements. I'm convinced that 90% of "new" features of the OM1-II should have been applied in a firmware update to the original OM-1 (as OM Systems promised in the launch of the OM1 2 years ago, that they would continue it's development by firmware). From what I've read online, it seems that door has been closed by comments from OMS. Aside from a few very minor feature and bug fixes to the OM-1, that never happened. I get that the increased internal dram buffer allows more shots in the buffer, but I never hit that anyway with my OM-1 (no where near in fact), although I'm sure others mileage will vary.

Whilst my original OM-1 is the camera I paid for 2 years ago and is still as good, having the door slammed in loyal users faces in as much as if you want the new features then stump up an additional £2,200, is really quite jarring, especially as I've been with M4/3 for nearly 10 years now and became accustomed to Olympus's stunning firmware programs. It seems OM Systems has a very different model and that is fleece and bleed it's user base as much as possible.

Even the new 150-600 lens which we all know if based on the Sigma unit, has suddenly doubled in price with an OM Systems label on it from what it can be purchased for on the Sony/ Canon/ Nikon mounts. I get they might have "optimised" it's design (although it's still a colossally large and heavy lens for M4/3), but really - double the price ??

As I said before I won't be selling off what M4/3 equipment I currently have (as it still works), but personally, I think that's me done for anymore investment in OM-Systems and perhaps the M4/3 system as a whole. If i did buy anything else M4/3 related, I can only see it being the G9 II for it's stellar video abilities, but then my Nikon Z8 does pretty much all that (and 8K and internal Raw) for a 250g weight penalty over the G9 II.

I think my preferred wildlife kit would be either my current OM-1 with the 300mm F4 Pro and 1.4X TC, or my Z8 with the 180-600 (in DX Mode - 270-900mm), @ nearly 20mp. If I changed to the new OM-Systems 150-600 then the combined weight with my OM-1 would be 2,699g where as my Z8 with the 180-600 is only 160g heavier at 2,860g (and a pretty much identical weight if I use my Z7 II body instead of the Z8). True, the OM Systems lens goes to 1,200mm, vs 900mm on the 180-600 Nikon (in DX Mode), however the Nikon lens is nearly £1000 cheaper !

I've been pontificating for a while should I go all in with Olympus / OM Systems or flesh out my Nikon Z system. I think today has made up my mind. Don't get me wrong, I like the equipment I currently have and it won't be going anywhere soon, and If some of you are really excited for what's been announced today, I'm very pleased for you, it's just after 2 years I expected more...much more. Any future money on spend on my "hobby" certainly won't be going to OM-Systems, which I feel very sad about as I loved Olympus.

Hear, hear, Andrew - I agree with just about everything you say.
I believe the price for the 150-600mm lens is very difficult to swallow, when you compare it to what is essentially a very similar lens that Sigma market in Sony E mount, at less than half the price.
It's also going to be fascinating to see if OM Systems choose to update the current OM1 with at least some of the “improvements” by way of a firmware update.

I think my preferred wildlife kit would be either my current OM-1 with the 300mm F4 Pro and 1.4X TC, or my Z8 with the 180-600 (in DX Mode - 270-900mm), @ nearly 20mp. If I changed to the new OM-Systems 150-600 then the combined weight with my OM-1 would be 2,699g where as my Z8 with the 180-600 is only 160g heavier at 2,860g. True, the OM Systems lens goes to 1,200mm, vs 900mm on the 180-600 Nikon (in DX Mode), however the Nikon lens is nearly £1000 cheaper !

I totally agree with you. I was a Canon and Olympus user I was forced to make the decision to swap due to major back issues. Like I said in my post I won't be swapping mine in for the new model.
I'm not interested in the new kit lens.
The 150-600 does have a few things going for it
One being it will only use the central part of the glass so in theory it should be sharper. Two because Om systems have had it made by sigma the AF of the lens should be better.
I have the 150-400mm pro so the sigma lens won't be needed. I really wanted to see the 50-200mm f2.8 that was being touted alongside the 50-250mm f4.

Ironically... the green square was directly on the eye... I was shooting expanding flexible spot.
The 200-600mm lens is a 5.6-6.3 on its own.. so with the tele on ... I was stuck at f13 as a result.
As it was woodland area I left iso to auto.
The shutter speed I had to lower to let in more light also... along with the ev increase.
Yes I was handheld with oss on and set to position 1 which is the general setting (2 is panning)
the old a7rii only has measly contrast points (25... yes just 25 is all it has)

Perhaps you could list the fors and againsts between your two kits?

I'm going to float an interesting idea out there.
What's the chances we are going to see some more Om mount lenses made by sigma thinking more along the lines of longer stuff.
70-200mm f2.8
Maybe a 120mm-300mm f2.8 these two would be something I would give serious thought to.

Perhaps you could list the fors and againsts between your two kits?

Well the obvious "Fors" for M4/3 and the OM-1 is that it and the lenses are still generally smaller and lighter than their full frame equivalents (although not the new 150-600). The Olympus bodies have always had a nice rounded feature set (pro-capture, Live ND, Live Time, Hand Held and Tripod High Res, Live Composite etc). However a number of those unique to Olympus features have started appearing on other brands too. I like the ergonomics of the OM-1 (never had a problem with the dials or buttons), and it has a lovely EVF. Decent (but not great) video performance, with sketchy AF-C performance, but shooting in 10 bit is only available in Log-400 or HLG, no standard picture profiles. No 4K 120 in any bit depth. Subject tracking AF performance ( mainly Birds), is excellent, and whilst any improvement would be welcome, it's currently good enough for me. Still amazing best in class IBIS performance.

For My Nikon Z system and primary the Z8, well I see it as almost 3 cameras in one. It's a beast of a FF camera with 45mp and glorious picture quality. It's also an extremely capable DX (APS-C) camera as well with nearly 20mp, in my preferred 3:2 ratio. Thirdly it's an amazing video tool - 4K up to 120fps, in 8 or 10 bit. 8K 60 and Raw in camera. Excellent focussing and tracking (as good as the Olympus, but not necessarily better). Fantastic buffer depth if the right CFExpress card used. Great Ergonomics. Great choice of long lenses (and lenses in general), at all price points from affordable to super exotic. Downsides, I can only really think of 2 big ones. Firstly is that generally the Z8 and chosen lens is usually bigger and heavier than the M4/3 equivalents, and secondly price - with the OM-1 II being £2,200, even buying grey the Z8 is still more expensive at £2,850 (E-Infinity), and against the original OM-1 even dearer, as that can be had for only £1,185 grey.

There will be lots of little pros and cons for each system that I haven't mentioned, as I think you're all probably tired of reading my drivel already today :D

I think my preferred wildlife kit would be either my current OM-1 with the 300mm F4 Pro and 1.4X TC, or my Z8 with the 180-600 (in DX Mode - 270-900mm), @ nearly 20mp. If I changed to the new OM-Systems 150-600 then the combined weight with my OM-1 would be 2,699g where as my Z8 with the 180-600 is only 160g heavier at 2,860g. True, the OM Systems lens goes to 1,200mm, vs 900mm on the 180-600 Nikon (in DX Mode), however
Agree Andrew with your comments OM have come up short

Lifted from Facebook this morning from Facebook user Dax Smith AKA David Smith who as you may know works for OM and is frequently seen on the OM you tube channel

David was asked about firmware updates to OM1 when asked about firmware updates in particular the new features being updated to the current OM1 this was his reponse

"The OM-1 Mark II has increased internal memory and new optimized memory controls compared to the OM-1. As a result, it is not possible for the new features like Live GND, Increase in RAW buffer and human subject detection to become available via a firmware upgrade to the OM-1."

So on face value looks like the OM1 is going to be short-changed on firmware updates like these mentioned for some it may not be an issue for some but for me personally I won't be updating to the OM1 mark 2

I have to send my OM1 back some time for sticky rear wheel be interesting if they replace with rhe rubber wheels on the new model I doubt it somehow

Back