Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I finally got around to trying LR NR AI, and it seemed better than Topaz. Has anyone found similar?

Last edited:
I found LR NR very slow on my machine so normally stick to Photolab for NR. It usually does a very good job but occasionally adds a change in colour balance which is difficult to remove. In that case I revert to LR and go and make a cuppa!

If I am working on a tif or a jpeg then Topaz is my go to.

A great photo but aren't you waxwing'd out by now???;)
Yep definetly but it’s literally about 8 minutes drive from home ,lazy option

Sorry but what a lot of whining about upgrades, just don’t buy them l say. Most companies are marketing masters but Om system it seems to have tried to offer something not really needed and classed it as a mkII. You good people have seen through this but many won’t and lots of money will be made.
l think it is more of getting the Olympus name off the product than anything else.

goldfinch taken with my OLYMPUS OM1 :p

look through any window by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Wow! That's absolutely beautiful! Gold finches are my favourite small garden bird, utterly beautiful and always paired up. That's a stunning shot!

Oh wait, on an om-1? Haven't you heard, they suck! Your photo must be bad. Sorry buddy! ;)

Seriously though, when I've moved house I may be in touch to ask for a print - although I'm going to try to get my own first. That's fab.

Very impresive Jeff to get the waxwing in focus through all those branches, I think its helped me decide to go for the OM-1 Mk1, its just confusing with people saying the AF isnt what its cracked up to be, but you nail it with your images on here. and Im aware they will be from a burst but even so its pretty good

Very impresive Jeff to get the waxwing in focus through all those branches, I think its helped me decide to go for the OM-1 Mk1, its just confusing with people saying the AF isnt what its cracked up to be, but you nail it with your images on here. and Im aware they will be from a burst but even so its pretty good
Yes everything is in burst mode and you inevitably get a Few OOF shots but no where near as many as previous models or other brands and what you also need to take into account is its 840 mm effective reach , handheld , and I’m nearly 80 in not perfect health and not as steady on my feet as I was . It was also extremely windy on a mountain top that’s exposed to and within sight of the Irish Sea

Last edited:
Yes everything is in burst mode and you inevitably get a Few OOF shots but no where near as many as previous models or other brands and what you also need to take into account is its 840 mm effective reach , handheld , and I’m nearly 80 in not perfect health and not as steady on my feet as I was . It was also extremely windy on a mountain top that’s exposed to and within sight of the Irish Sea
Apart from that an easy shot :)

Is the OM1 better at tracking birds in trees then Jeff?

I've noticed the EM1X gets confused with twigs sometimes.

Not a deal breaker, just useful to know.

don't think any camera will be that good Terry , but its definitely better than most once you get the settings right .. you then get a higher percentage of in focus shots .. I personally think others may be trying with to many focus points in use and veering off the Birds Eye ... . the digital 2x tc facility helps as well as you can cut out surrounding twiggage if close enough

Goldcrest shot late last year, but only processed today.

Nice Andrew

Thanks all

had a good day today ?? need time to look through 500+ shots

Excellent capture and processing there Jeff.

I found this statement on petr Bambousek's website . (I haven't read any further yet.......)

"At the moment I’m writing these lines, none of my favorite programs (Capture One/Lightroom/DxO Pure RAW3) can yet open RAW files from the OM-1 II. Therefore, the images do not always have ideal color rendering or sharpness"

I found this statement on petr Bambousek's website . (I haven't read any further yet.......)

"At the moment I’m writing these lines, none of my favorite programs (Capture One/Lightroom/DxO Pure RAW3) can yet open RAW files from the OM-1 II. Therefore, the images do not always have ideal color rendering or sharpness"
It does take the software companies a while to catch up .......though why the camera makers don't make sample files available to them during pre release testing stage is a question?

In regard to what Petr says, I surmise Workspace will render the files to DNG in the interim?

PS DxO IIRC can take approx 2 months to get the new kit and create their profiles etc.

Petr is a brilliant wildlife photographer and obviously knows the OM system inside out in a way which I will never do. He thinks the Mk2 is a worthwhile improvement and also likes the new 150 600 lens (possibly in a slightly more qualified way (?) . But he's an OMDS Ambassador so that is what we would expect, I guess.

The Mk1 at £1299 from HDEW is an amazing bargain in my opinion.

Back