Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Interesting that the OM-1 MK II (as of time of writing) is showing as in stock at WEX, Park, LCE, SRS Microsystems etc. Think it's the first time I've ever seen a new Olympus / OM Systems camera showing as in stock on the day of release, normally they show as pre-order only for weeks if not months before actually being in stock.

Does that tell us anything about how many pre-orders there actually were, or reading a bit too much into it ?

Probably people are awaiting grey stock to come in and see what the price is.

If I had the spare cash I'd buy it as it would be a definite upgrade from my EM1X.

But I wouldn't pay that. (See above).

Probably people are awaiting grey stock to come in and see what the price is.

If I had the spare cash I'd buy it as it would be a definite upgrade from my EM1X.

But I wouldn't pay that. (See above).

Cotswold Cameras have the OM1 II at £1745

I really like that, Jeff. Super processing as well.
Think what you could do with a OM1 ll and (Sigma) 150-600 ! ;)
not a hope in hell either financially or weight wise Mal . if I push mine and use the 2x digital I can get to 1680mm @f 5.6 hand held or if I get another 2 xtc I can get to 2400mm .

Last edited:
Operability: Improved usability through the option to assign the trash (delete) button as a menu access shortcut.
I like that - It is a nonsense to have to take the camera away from your eye to access the menu.

just hope they make it Mac friendly ..scared to do mine in case it bricks it

Great Photo Jeff, I was wondering if you have resized the image at all, or all the birds up your way really friendly and wait for you to take the photos

Pete
Of course it’s cropped Pete quite a bit for this one . a lot of It is down to the OM1 and it’s bird I.D coupled with a 300mm f4 + 1.4 tc which gives a equivalent range of 840mm handheld

Been looking at all the hoopla over the new Fuji X100V, and it sure does look like a very nice camera. 40mp APS-C sensor, 6K and 4K video, IBIS etc. However at £1500 and a probably wait of 6 months to a year to get hold of one, I decided to give it a miss.

I was then trawling the internet and found a very tidy Olympus Pen-F in silver, with absolutely everything it came with (all boxes and sleeves, manuals, Flash, cables, neck strap, genuine charger and 4 genuine Olympus BLN-1 batteries. The body has a couple of small marks (unsurprising for a camera of this age - I prefer to call them battle scars)), but only has 12,000 shutter activations. I made a cheeky offer, and it's now in my hands for the princely sum of £420 (a bit of an impulse purchase) !

I know the Pen-F is older technology, has "only" a 20mp sensor, isn't APS-C, doesn't have fantastic AF-C and tracking performance, and only shoots video in 1080p (that's a real shame), but it does have great build quality, a decent EVF, tiny external flash, Olympus's legendary IBIS and a full suit of colour and B&W controls. I've been meaning to get hold of one of these for several years now, but they were always a bit too expensive. Well, I now own one and I've coupled it with my Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm F1.8, to make a pseudo X100 copy (probably more like an X100T than the new VI, but at a fraction of the price. Let's bring the fun back into photography.

I love taking my Pen-F out, I feel somehow the reduction in spec and choice gives me more freedom.

Enjoy it!

nice one Andrew .. on my wish list

Sootchucker, I really hope OM system release either a pen f mark 2 or a fixed lens micro 43 camera to rival the X100. Especially a fixed lens camera tbh.

I don't know whether it would make money, but rangefinder style, fixed 17mm or 14mm f2 lens, leaf shutter,ibis, the stacked 20mp sensor, OM system's amazing computational features and a half decent evf could potentially make a smaller camera (the X100 isn't really pocketable, the main reason I sold mine) that gives great photos and modern performance. OM system also has some level of the film sim idea - perhaps they could expand on this a bit to get good jpegs or heif files.

Whether it would cost less than the fuji, I don't know. It would probably need to, just to compete. Perhaps, if it was £300-£500 cheaper it would do well. Don't bother with the hybrid viewfinder, it would add cost and complexity. I can only wish but I don't think it'll happen.

Back